Back to back, different ships same port.

swilden79

We have done a back to back before and loved it. So we are planning another one this Sept. The one we have done was on the same ship. Was wondering how it works when it isn't the same ship but same port? If I can get any advice on this question or recommendations I would highly appreciate it.

I've seen this referred to here as a "side to side" cruise. As stated, it is generally treated as two separate cruises. Depending on the line and the port, there may be transportation assistance from one ship to the next, but generally not.

We have done a back to back before and loved it. So we are planning another one this Sept. The one we have done was on the same ship. Was wondering how it works when it isn't the same ship but same port? If I can get any advice on this question or recommendations I would highly appreciate it.

I will be doing the same in April. I have been told to ask about a shuttle at the port, but I am probably going to just take a taxi.

Enjoy both your cruises. I consider them a B2B also.

Sue

I will be doing the same in April. I have been told to ask about a shuttle at the port, but I am probably going to just take a taxi.

Enjoy both your cruises. I consider them a B2B also.

Sue

Sue, you are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale and there is a shuttle to transport you from one pier to another there. Just take your luggage and go outside the terminal and ask any worker and they will direct you to it. Very easy! The taxi will cost you $10 minimum. We just did this last Dec.

OP, as far as changing ships at the same port it is very easy. Would help if we knew what port though. As another poster stated, it is like taking two different cruises. You will get off one and take your luggage with you. Instead of going home, you will go to the next ship.

Whenever we have done this, we tell guest services half way through the week so that we will be the last to get off the ship. That way you don't have to wait outside the terminal of your next cruise if it is not open yet.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Sue, you are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale and there is a shuttle to transport you from one pier to another there. Just take your luggage and go outside the terminal and ask any worker and they will direct you to it. Very easy! The taxi will cost you $10 minimum. We just did this last Dec.

OP, as far as changing ships at the same port it is very easy. Would help if we knew what port though. As another poster stated, it is like taking two different cruises. You will get off one and take your luggage with you. Instead of going home, you will go to the next ship.

Whenever we have done this, we tell guest services half way through the week so that we will be the last to get off the ship. That way you don't have to wait outside the terminal of your next cruise if it is not open yet.

It will be out of Miami. The ships will be breeze to glory.

It will be out of Miami. The ships will be breeze to glory.

Did this last yr, was very easy, we did get very lucky, found a porter after getting off the Breeze willing to take our luggage via a cart over to the Glory for us, there was 7 in my group, just stay on the Breeze as long as you can, go through customs, collect your luggage then walk to the other cruise terminal, not that far, hand a porter your luggage and start the boarding process, took us about 1 hour from getting kicked off the Breeze to boarding the Glory for another week of fun in the sun on a Funship : )

So glad to not be alone on the side to side or b2b. Lol. I will be doing the glory from Miami and getting off the ship and going to the sunshine in canaveral. I feel like it's back to back cruises and the travel to the other ship is our shore excursion for the day! Don't know what it should be called but I call it fun!! Especially since each ship has different features. The travel to the sunshine will let my DW and I reflect about one cruise as we got to the next the same day. If it is horrible or too challenging we just won't do it again. However it works out happy cruising to all!

We have 5 days till our cruises....4 cruises, 3 ships. We did this last year Liberty to Breeze. This year a week on Glory, then B2B on Breeze, then a week on Splendor.

I am disabled and had no problem getting from one ship to the other last year.

Have a great time!

Thanks for the tips. I know Princess is usually at Terminal 2, but since I have never sailed Carnival, I don't know where they usually dock. I assume the dock workers will know.

Sue

So glad to not be alone on the side to side or b2b. Lol. I will be doing the glory from Miami and getting off the ship and going to the sunshine in canaveral. I feel like it's back to back cruises and the travel to the other ship is our shore excursion for the day! Don't know what it should be called but I call it fun!! Especially since each ship has different features. The travel to the sunshine will let my DW and I reflect about one cruise as we got to the next the same day. If it is horrible or too challenging we just won't do it again. However it works out happy cruising to all!

You're going to need to hustle and get off the Glory as soon as you can. Not sure how you're planning on hiking up to Port Canaveral. It's at least a 3 hour trip, just over 200 miles. Rental car would be best option. but I think there's a Florida Shuttle Bus that makes the trip. No idea of cost or schedule. With an early arrival at POM and a quick getaway from the rental agency you could be checking in for the Sunshine before noon. But any delays and you might be pushing the envelope on time. Be sure you have the Carnival 800 number with you to call if you get delayed.

In January we did a B2B on the Freedom and then the Conquest. it was the Conquest's first cruise out of Port Everglades and did not sail until 9:00 the night we returned. I emailed cclsupport@Carnival.com. Attn: Mary or Mishelle. To ask about the process. they replied and I took the letter with me. They took care of transporting my luggage from Terminal 4 to Terminal 19. We received a letter with instructions and an in transit pass in our room the night befor. a couple of nights before the cruise we took our letter to GS to verify the process described in the letter. they knew exactly what we were inquiring about and told us we would get the letter and pass. Everything worked very smoothly. We did have to wait until 1:00 for the Conquest terminal to open as it was a late sailing, but you should not have this problem. We parked at ParkNGo and they took us from one terminal to the other, but another couple who were doing the same thing said Carnival provided transportation for them. Our PVP marked it as a B2B on 2 different ships and we received the fruit basket and champagne at the beginning of the second cruise. have fun.

You're going to need to hustle and get off the Glory as soon as you can. Not sure how you're planning on hiking up to Port Canaveral. It's at least a 3 hour trip, just over 200 miles. Rental car would be best option. but I think there's a Florida Shuttle Bus that makes the trip. No idea of cost or schedule. With an early arrival at POM and a quick getaway from the rental agency you could be checking in for the Sunshine before noon. But any delays and you might be pushing the envelope on time. Be sure you have the Carnival 800 number with you to call if you get delayed.

Crewsweeper.,

Thank you for your great advice. Yes. I have the same concern. I have FTTF on Glory to get off the ship early. A rental car with Avis that is on 2nd street and they will pick me up from cruise terminal and the car will be dropped off at port canaveral Avis which is like 5 miles from the terminal. My calculations are 3 hours approximately as yours. I am hoping to be to the ship by 12:00. Giving me time to make it. I looked at flight but I found either the time constraint of shuttles to the airport and then shuttles from the airport to scary to take a chance on. I am hoping that traffic on Saturday is fairly normal. Fortunately I have drove that route a few times but it is always scary when you think about traffic delays etc. as long as they let us off the ship all should be good! thanks!

Crewsweeper.,

Thank you for your great advice. Yes. I have the same concern. I have FTTF on Glory to get off the ship early. A rental car with Avis that is on 2nd street and they will pick me up from cruise terminal and the car will be dropped off at port canaveral Avis which is like 5 miles from the terminal. My calculations are 3 hours approximately as yours. I am hoping to be to the ship by 12:00. Giving me time to make it. I looked at flight but I found either the time constraint of shuttles to the airport and then shuttles from the airport to scary to take a chance on. I am hoping that traffic on Saturday is fairly normal. Fortunately I have drove that route a few times but it is always scary when you think about traffic delays etc. as long as they let us off the ship all should be good! thanks!

On a Sunday, barring any port delays, traffic should be relatively light, especially after FLL so you should be okay. Have a great 2 cruises! :)

We did a back to back, side to side, back to belly, head to toe, whatever it really is out of Miami. It was a 3 day followed by a 5 day. What we did was pack 2 suitcases, left one in the car and exchanged them out between cruises. Worked well for us.

On separate ships you don’t get the free wine bottle on the second cruise.

You also do get the express boarding as you do with a back to back. On a back to back you could be on the ship one hour before regular boarding begins.

Our PVP noted B2B on the Conquest booking form even though we were going on 2 different ships (Freedom and Conquest) We did get the free wine/champagne and fruit basket. It was in our cabin when we started the second cruise on the Conquest.

Thanks for the tips. I know Princess is usually at Terminal 2, but since I have never sailed Carnival, I don't know where they usually dock. I assume the dock workers will know.

Sue

We were on Conquest the last 2 weeks of January (B2B). I think we got off the ship at termial 19.

We were on the first sailing when Conquest relocated from Miami to Port Everglades. We got to watch "our ship come in".

Conquest was docked at terminal 4 - perpendicular to Princess. However, we received notices in our cabin about it going to terminal 19 so if you were going to be picked up by family to let them know it was going to be a different terminal from drop-off. If you were parked near terminal 4 they offered a free shuttle to transport you back to your car.

Our PVP noted B2B on the Conquest booking form even though we were going on 2 different ships (Freedom and Conquest) We did get the free wine/champagne and fruit basket. It was in our cabin when we started the second cruise on the Conquest.

When you booked your cruises were you supposed to be on Freedom for both of them? If so, that might be why you received the champagne & fruit basket. Otherwise, I doubt if you'd have received them. I've never heard anyone mentioning receiving the "gift" for a "side to side". Like that "side to side" terminology!

We were booked on Freedom for 1/18 & 1/24 and when they decided to move Freedom to Galveston on 1/25/15, they moved our booking to Conquest.

My husband and I have to fly from Canada for all our cruises, and we're thinking about trying a B2B, to maximize our vacation time without increasing our travel expenses.

My idea is to pick a cruise that returns to port on a Saturday, then stay overnight and board another cruise departing Sunday. That way, I can have a little time to restock our pop, etc before heading out to sea again.

Has anyone tried this before, who cares to comment?

In January we did a B2B on the Freedom and then the Conquest. it was the Conquest's first cruise out of Port Everglades and did not sail until 9:00 the night we returned. I emailed cclsupport@Carnival.com. Attn: Mary or Mishelle. To ask about the process. they replied and I took the letter with me. They took care of transporting my luggage from Terminal 4 to Terminal 19. We received a letter with instructions and an in transit pass in our room the night befor. a couple of nights before the cruise we took our letter to GS to verify the process described in the letter. they knew exactly what we were inquiring about and told us we would get the letter and pass. Everything worked very smoothly. We did have to wait until 1:00 for the Conquest terminal to open as it was a late sailing, but you should not have this problem. We parked at ParkNGo and they took us from one terminal to the other, but another couple who were doing the same thing said Carnival provided transportation for them. Our PVP marked it as a B2B on 2 different ships and we received the fruit basket and champagne at the beginning of the second cruise. have fun.

Question: Why would you receive an In Transit pass if you were going to a different ship:confused::confused: