Carrying water onboard = Naughty Room?

Woodmnky

I've seen quite a few reports that people have put a few bottles of water or soda into their checked luggage. If I do this, will my luggage automatically go to the naughty room until they can verify that it is not alcohol? I would like to bring a few bottle of water & a few containers of shelf stable almond milk for DS, but I'm wondering if this is going to end up being causing a lot of delays with luggage.

I've seen quite a few reports that people have put a few bottles of water or soda into their checked luggage. If I do this, will my luggage automatically go to the naughty room until they can verify that it is not alcohol? I would like to bring a few bottle of water & a few containers of shelf stable almond milk for DS, but I'm wondering if this is going to end up being causing a lot of delays with luggage.

We've had about a 50% experience with luggage going to security to verify the liquid is not alcohol.

Should we carry on our wine and a few water bottles and not put them in the suitcase?

We carry the wine on, and put the water in a carry-on suitcase all by itself. That way if the bag with water is delayed, it's not that big a deal.

I tried a case of water in its own bag and had to pick it up from security after it was checked. They stated there is an easy way to figure out what is inside - shake it. If there are no bubbles, it is water. If you shake it and bubbles remain, it is alcohol.

The security guys even told me they had seen people take a case of water and without breaking the plastic, took enough bottles out, put a bottle of alcohol in the middle, and then put water bottles around it (plastic wrap was still intact the entire time).

The next time I want to take water on board, I'm slapping a tag directly on the plastic wrapping. They can check the water right away, see it is not alcohol, and send it straight to the room.

We've had about a 50% experience with luggage going to security to verify the liquid is not alcohol.

Our percentage is much lower. We always have a couple bottles of water in our checked and have never had a problem....YET. However once in Barcelona had to go down there for a 6.3 liter bottle. I ask them if they really thought booze came in that size bottle. On last cruise, my DB picked up a case for us and instead of tagging it or carrying it on he put it in a suitcase. Had to go to the room:o. We have used a tag on a full case a couple of times and had no issues. Watch, next time we will.

Royal Caribbean - Consistent Inconsistency

I tried a case of water in its own bag and had to pick it up from security after it was checked. They stated there is an easy way to figure out what is inside - shake it. If there are no bubbles, it is water. If you shake it and bubbles remain, it is alcohol.

The security guys even told me they had seen people take a case of water and without breaking the plastic, took enough bottles out, put a bottle of alcohol in the middle, and then put water bottles around it (plastic wrap was still intact the entire time).

The next time I want to take water on board, I'm slapping a tag directly on the plastic wrapping. They can check the water right away, see it is not alcohol, and send it straight to the room.

Were you on an RCI ship when you were able to bring a case of water onboard? Ours was confiscated when we boarded Voyager and held until the end of the cruise since RCI says they don't allow water to be carried on. Just wondering if they have relaxed that practice since 2012.

Were you on an RCI ship when you were able to bring a case of water onboard? Ours was confiscated when we boarded Voyager and held until the end of the cruise since RCI says they don't allow water to be carried on. Just wondering if they have relaxed that practice since 2012.

Different ships, different rules. Royal Caribbean = Consistent Inconsistency.

Remind me to never sail on Voyager if that is "their" policy. Oh I know you said it's in the "rules" but when does that ever mean anything from one ship to the next.

Interesting side note, on the last 3 ships that we have sailed there has been 4 bottles of water in the room at no charge. I never ask why (was afraid to look a gift horse in the mouth).

It depends on the ship, the port and the time of year. They get very strict around spring break and sometimes the holidays.

It depends on the ship, the port and the time of year. They get very strict around spring break and sometimes the holidays.

It was port of NOLA the week after Thanksgiving. Turned it over to the porters and they didn't mention a problem....just received a note from the naughty room. Obviously, we didn't take the time/effort to pick up a $5.00 case of water when we disembarked. We also got a ltr from the naughty room that they were holding our luggage for prohibited items of a knife and iron. We had neither and had all of our luggage...thought it was a mistake first, but received an additional letter and phone calls until finally going down there to ask them to find my luggage...which they couldn't. :rolleyes:

It was port of NOLA the week after Thanksgiving. Turned it over to the porters and they didn't mention a problem....just received a note from the naughty room. Obviously, we didn't take the time/effort to pick up a $5.00 case of water when we disembarked. We also got a ltr from the naughty room that they were holding our luggage for prohibited items of a knife and iron. We had neither and had all of our luggage...thought it was a mistake first, but received an additional letter and phone calls until finally going down there to ask them to find my luggage...which they couldn't. :rolleyes:

Instead of WOW it was What In The World????

Back from the Navigator out of Galveston two weeks ago. We had 12 canned drinks in a carry on back pack, along with multiple mini bottles. Nothing was said about either. In port we bought bottles of liquor to take home with us, again nothing was said as the backpack was scanned.

The porters in some ports flatly refuse to take a case with a tag - they insist you carry it on if it's not in a bag. Lots of inconsistencies.

NOLA is the port where I slapped on a luggage tag and the room steward knocked on the door because he was afraid to leave it outside. No consistency. However, ours was visible/not in a suitcase so who knows.

The porters in some ports flatly refuse to take a case with a tag - they insist you carry it on if it's not in a bag. Lots of inconsistencies.

never had that problem. Maybe it is the $5 bill that I hand them or maybe it's all the extra clear tape wrapped around it.

I just drink the water on the ship. It's all filtered RO/ Desal and just fine. Just let the sink run for a few minutes before filling my Nalgene bottle. Last year on Brilliance out of Tampa I witnessed a gentleman carrying a case of water around for a couple of hours before getting access to his room. Poor guy.

Interesting replies!!! I was reading under the FAQ'S page and there's apparently a rule that if you are caught bringing in soda, water or alcohol they reserve the right to either delay your trip or possibly (gasp) kick you off the cruise. Wow. I had planned to bring a few cans of diet coke and water on our upcoming cruise and now I'm scared! Yikes.

Interesting replies!!! I was reading under the FAQ'S page and there's apparently a rule that if you are caught bringing in soda, water or alcohol they reserve the right to either delay your trip or possibly (gasp) kick you off the cruise. Wow. I had planned to bring a few cans of diet coke and water on our upcoming cruise and now I'm scared! Yikes.

I decided long ago that if that scenario had happened anywhere on any ship it would be all over Cruise Critic. Have never ever heard of that happening. So I place it in the category of an asteroid falling on my head. Could happen, never heard of it happening.

Is there a size restriction for a carryon? Can I wheel my 21" suitcase on as a carryon and then stick the water and wine in there?

It's supposed to fit into the x-ray machine. However that said, once in San Diego we found ourselves at the check-in counter still with our luggage and had to carry it all on board. So, it must have fit.