Sharing drinks

lupaglupa

I have a question about the signature beverage cards. We have two cabins - in one both people got the signature beverage card as a promo with the cabin, in the other cabin they did not (one outside, one inside). No way can either of us with the cards drink the allotted 15 drinks a day. I know HAL says not to share - how strict are they? I'm not looking to scam them out of a huge profit here but I did wonder if they policed this carefully.

I have a question about the signature beverage cards. We have two cabins - in one both people got the signature beverage card as a promo with the cabin, in the other cabin they did not (one outside, one inside). No way can either of us with the cards drink the allotted 15 drinks a day. I know HAL says not to share - how strict are they? I'm not looking to scam them out of a huge profit here but I did wonder if they policed this carefully.

So you are asking if it is OK to scam them out of a "little" profit? The cards are to be used by the person they are issued to. There are many words that can be used to describe any other use, none of them good :rolleyes:

So you are asking if it is OK to scam them out of a "little" profit? The cards are to be used by the person they are issued to. There are many words that can be used to describe any other use, none of them good :rolleyes:

So, for instance, allowing my child to share a soda with me would be scamming the cruise line out of this "little" profit?

So, for instance, allowing my child to share a soda with me would be scamming the cruise line out of this "little" profit?

Indeed ... but that was not at all the intent of your first post.

Edited by taxmantoo

Would you have asked the OP if you thought it was okay?

That's not to say you won't do what you want but you know what you would be doing. It feels to me like you are asking for us to endorse cheating with beverage cards?

Indeed ... but that was not at all the intent of your first post.

Thank you so much for the clarification and the astute re-framing of my question - I am aghast at my own ignorance of my intentions! I will be careful to keep my child and any others away from my drinks.

Hmm. I just had an idea.

If you want to keep using the card on the up and up, how about if one of the people in the cabin that has the cards gifts one to the cabin that does not have a card? You could go to front office and ask it be transferred to the other name and then you would have HAL sanction for 'sharing' the card. :) If the Front Office says know, you will know their view of anyone else using it.

Edited by sail7seas

Correct. You cannot share with you card. All very well to say that you cannot use the 15 drinks. So when do you stop? Exactly at 7.5 drinks each?

You are allow as the card says. If you want, you have the choices. First: Buy another card. (Waste of money... unless you do want all 15 drinks. Second: Buy your own drinks. Full price... whatever you want and you have exactly what you want.... and if you are getting your still 7.5 drinks.... you are ahead.

You cannot 'scam'. The bar tender will see exactly what you are buying. They are not stupid. When you card is used the bar tender can see everything, what, where, who and when. You want to have the bar tender to tell you what you are doing?

Hmm. I just had an idea.

If you want to keep using the card on the up and up, how about if one of the people in the cabin that has the cards gifts one to the cabin that does not have a card? You could go to front office and ask it be transferred to the other name and then you would have HAL sanction for 'sharing' the card. :) If the Front Office says know, you will know their view of anyone else using it.

Thank you for not assuming I was looking to cheat HAL. I have a child travelling with me who will definitely want to try anything I get that is fruity or fancy. HAL puts in VERY strict language about sharing and I wondered, if I got a drink that interested him, could I share it with him? I don't want to lose my card for letting him have part of my drink.

Common sense probably is the best answer.

You likely are aware no one cares if you give your son a sip of your 'virgin' drink. I'm sure you wouldn't have him tasting your liquor drinks. :) There really isn't a need to ask that.

HAL will care if you are misusing the card. Read the terms of the card and you will know if you are violating their rules. You choose what you want your son to learn as he grows. Do you want him to hear a bartender question you about misusing a beverage card when you have taken him on a family vacation?

You will raise your child your way and that is your business.

I just reread your post and realize you never said the boy was your son. Sorry. However, the message remains the same.

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you for not assuming I was looking to cheat HAL. I have a child travelling with me who will definitely want to try anything I get that is fruity or fancy. HAL puts in VERY strict language about sharing and I wondered, if I got a drink that interested him, could I share it with him? I don't want to lose my card for letting him have part of my drink.

Because of this most of my drinks are non-alcoholic and HAL has never had an issue with him having a sip or two or even ordering one drink and two glasses. We did this on suggestion of the Lido bartender when ordering a smoothie at lunch and DS wanted one. I get the non alcoholic drink card while both children get the soda card.

Never had an issue.

Because of this most of my drinks are non-alcoholic and HAL has never had an issue with him having a sip or two or even ordering one drink and two glasses. We did this on suggestion of the Lido bartender when ordering a smoothie at lunch and DS wanted one. I get the non alcoholic drink card while both children get the soda card.

Never had an issue.

Thank you - that's very helpful. You almost erase the taste of having the forum flame me. But I'm not coming back to Cruise Critic. Other, nicer, places likely have information.

Oh those so holier than thou. If any of you have never taken a bottled water or a box of candy in to a movie theater then do judge others that others wish to do so. And any of those out there that wish to sneak a drink onboard or use a spouse's drink card Please don't ask for permission or forgiveness! Do what you want then

deal with the consequences. Head on down to the naughty room I am sure that you will not be alone.

Over the years many of the special offers have been discontinued because of passenger abuse.

All you can drink soda card -gone

Bring as much wine as you like(corkage free) -gone

Discount on regular beverage cards -gone (other than soda card)

How long, if passengers start to 'share' their Beverage Packages, before these are also more restrictive or not included as promos?

The rule is 'no sharing'. No one can tell you how diligent they are to police this because it can vary from ship to ship and from steward to steward.

The rules say if you are caught sharing, they have the right to take it away from you.

So, it's really up to each individual to use it as they wish and take their chances.

Over the years many of the special offers have been discontinued because of passenger abuse.

All you can drink soda card -gone

Bring as much wine as you like(corkage free) -gone

Discount on regular beverage cards -gone (other than soda card)

How long, if passengers start to 'share' their Beverage Packages, before these are also more restrictive or not included as promos?

The rule is 'no sharing'. No one can tell you how diligent they are to police this because it can vary from ship to ship and from steward to steward.

The rules say if you are caught sharing, they have the right to take it away from you.

So, it's really up to each individual to use it as they wish and take their chances.

I think sharing a taste of one beverage is different than sharing use of the beverage card itself.

The former is reasonable - the latter is not.

Exactly to both ^^

It isn't a question of holier than thou.... it is more doing the right thing when there is a choice to make.

It's a shame that the cruise lines put people in this position. They are selling most of us a card they very well know we will not utilize fully thus giving them EXTRA profit.

The cruise lines are doing very well for themselves with their $10 allowance per person perday food allowance and selling everything from soup to nuts at extravagent prices (alcohol by the bottle and WIFI for example and not to mention the huge decrease in fuel costs well below the $100 per gal allowance) Oh, and I almost forgot, paying their employees next to nothing and relying on well meaning guests to make up the difference in extra tips.

I would rather they offer a card that is good for so many drinks per day for a certain price and not worry about who drinks them, they are PAID for.

I know I will get slammed for this from those of you who have plenty of cash to spend beause "you are on vacation". I would rather see fairness across the board. Oh,I forgot, this is BUSINESS.

Just sayin'.

It's a shame that the cruise lines put people in this position. They are selling most of us a card they very well know we will not utilize fully thus giving them EXTRA profit.

The cruise lines are doing very well for themselves with their $10 allowance per person perday food allowance and selling everything from soup to nuts at extravagent prices (alcohol by the bottle and WIFI for example and not to mention the huge decrease in fuel costs well below the $100 per gal allowance) Oh, and I almost forgot, paying their employees next to nothing and relying on well meaning guests to make up the difference in extra tips.

I would rather they offer a card that is good for so many drinks per day for a certain price and not worry about who drinks them, they are PAID for.

I know I will get slammed for this from those of you who have plenty of cash to spend beause "you are on vacation". I would rather see fairness across the board. Oh,I forgot, this is BUSINESS.

Just sayin'.

I lost my job a month ago due to the sharp decline in oil prices. I will be going on my next couple of cruises because they are paid for. I'm not about to cheat anyone out of anything because I've had a drastic change in my life. Funny how people think things are ok to do if they can justify them. There are choices in life.

Just sayin'.

There is such a program as you desire it. It's called pay for each drink you consume when you consume it. You don't need a special beverage card for that.

Edited by KevInPitt

Thank you - that's very helpful. You almost erase the taste of having the forum flame me. But I'm not coming back to Cruise Critic. Other, nicer, places likely have information.

So you ask a question and receive an answer that you don't like even though it is clearly stated that you cannot share drinks when using the signature drink cards. You then chose to go away mad at us and cruise critic. Huh, seems maybe you should be mad at Hal for having these rules not us as we do not make up the rules. Seems to me your being a bit childish.

I have a suggestion that may solve your issues about these cards. Call Hal and ask them if you could decline the cards and get more of a discount on your cruise. Lots of people do just this because they don't really drink much, and prefer a little saving on their cruise. Then any drinks you buy can be shared with whomever.

I lost my job a month ago due to the sharp decline in oil prices. I will be going on my next couple of cruises because they are paid for. I'm not about to cheat anyone out of anything because I've had a drastic change in my life. Funny how people think things are ok to do if they can justify them. There are choices in life.

Since you replied to my post directly I want to say I was in no way condoning cheating or making excuses or justifying anthing to do so. Just stating facts and possible alternatives.

Just sayin'.

We received a SBP card each for our cruise in May, we were told each has a value of $50 per day. I thought that meant you can receive drinks and they tally up until you reach $50 per day. I told my husband that with the water, coffee and soda I drink, I would reach that limit pretty early every day, and he may see a few cocktails added to our tab on some days. Then I found out that there is a 15 drink limit. Then I was all like "Who can drink 15 drinks a day?!" LOL But to lupaglupa I would say that giving your child a little bit of your smoothie or non-alcoholic drink is understandable. Escpecially if the son is a younger child who won't be drinking a full sized bevvy. That is the context that I got with her question. Obviously we are not to share our drink cards as in each family member using the same card all day long, when it is meant for one person. If the stewards and bartenders allow people to split one drink with two glasses, I think lupaglupa would be covered. Happy cruising all. :D

Lorie