Jeans in the MDR

mildew1951

Okay. The OP didn't ask that specific question, just like I didn't ask your opinion of my response. But we're all free to post what we want. I thought it might be helpful to give a little personal experience. Just because the OP doesn't specifically ask, "will I be out of place?" doesn't mean they don't care and ONLY want to know if it's allowed.

You're right. But I get sick and tired the same Q & A over and over and over. Someone asks if you're allowed to wear jeans, and instead of just one or 2 people answering factually with "yes they're allowed" (and perhaps expanding on that by adding that lots of people do wear them), you get a zillion people who start in with the comments about how "technically" they're allowed (they either are or they aren't, no "technically" about it), or how even though they're allowed one still shouldn't wear them, or implying that one will be out of place or inappropriately dressed, or elaborating with their opinion of what to wear with them etc. etc. By claiming not to be able to say whether the poster would be out of place or not if they wore them, you brought up something that didn't need to be brought up. In other words, they won't be out of place, so no reason to imply that they might be.

Wow! I will have to say that I am shocked!! I have cruised on HAL, NCL, Carnival, Princess, Costa, Disney, and Windstar. Never have I seen jeans in the MDR on those lines. In fact, my husband tried to wear some with a tucked in shirt one night cause we were running late for dinner and they told him he couldn't enter and needed to change. I'm glad to hear we might actually get away with it on RCI. I, myself, wouldn't make a habit of it but it's nice to have that option.

Hmmm, wondering why Carnival wouldnt allow jeans in the MDR for dinner when they allow shorts? You sure about this?

And there is no might to it. You will definitely "get away" with wearing jeans in the MDR on an RCI ship, even on formal nights. :)

By claiming not to be able to say whether the poster would be out of place or not if they wore them, you brought up something that didn't need to be brought up. In other words, they won't be out of place, so no reason to imply that they might be.

Let's just say we disagree on that. Some people only want to know what they can get away with; other people want to know what is expected or what is "normal" to wear. I didn't presume to know the mindset of the OP in that regard.

I know that attire can be different in different parts of the world, so I was just qualifying my statement by saying I know that jeans are not uncommon in the Caribbean, but not having been on a cruise in the South Pacific, I really don't know how most people dress there. Maybe it's the same; maybe not.

Again, if you are experienced in South Pacific cruising with Royal Caribbean, and you know that jeans would not be out of place there, then your input is worthwhile.

How times change, and its awful that some people are awful when it comes to good manners and showing consideration to others.

While I wouldn't wear jeans in the MDR, I would be interested in hearing how somebody else wearing them isn't showing consideration to others or having bad manners? Unless you paid for their vacation, they're free to do what they want within reason. Within reason seems to be wearing jeans. Unless you're specifically nitpicking everyone from the waist down, how would it even affect your vacation? Just wondering. :)

I have never worn jeans to the MDR on any ship and probably never will. That being said I have never been able to understand why some folks get their knickers in a knot over those who make the choice to do so. It is their choice, not yours!

We are just off Adventure... there were three nights on our second week that we saw men... GROWN men, in shorts, thank tops and baseball hats (that were worn the whole meal) The first was the day we embarked, Aruba night and one other night and we saw several people in jeans.

My 13 year old son who never wears slacks (I had to buy him three pair for the cruise even though he will have grown out of them by spring) even mentioned how terrible it was that they were letting people in for dinner after coming right back from the beach. He said "Mom, can you imagine what his mom would say if she knew he was wearing a cap during the meal???" haha, guess he's learnt some manners after all.... You could see their swim suits under cover ups, back packs in hand and sand EVERYWHERE

I wish they would enforce the rules more but I guess it is what it I suppose.

We are just off Adventure... there were three nights on our second week that we saw men... GROWN men, in shorts, thank tops and baseball hats (that were worn the whole meal) The first was the day we embarked, Aruba night and one other night and we saw several people in jeans.

My 13 year old son who never wears slacks (I had to buy him three pair for the cruise even though he will have grown out of them by spring) even mentioned how terrible it was that they were letting people in for dinner after coming right back from the beach. He said "Mom, can you imagine what his mom would say if she knew he was wearing a cap during the meal???" haha, guess he's learnt some manners after all.... You could see their swim suits under cover ups, back packs in hand and sand EVERYWHERE

What has that got to do with this topic? :confused:

I like to wear a Tshirt and when they throw me out I come back wearing a nice white button down $200 shirt from Nordstrom with a huge mustard stain in the middle. No rules about being a slob![emoji486]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you almost made me spit my coffee out! That is too funny! :D:cool:

Keep the chair pigs at bay, keep the kids out of the solarium, enforce the no saving 500 seats in the theater and then I'll consider washing my feet and not wearing my sandals from 1972

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As opposed to dumb slacks?

Thanks for all the comments. Thought this might stir up a hornet's nest:)

Just wanted to know what my options were. I tend to wear smart slacks and a nice button up shirt but sometimes I just like wearing my jeans.

I think either you don't remember or didn't notice.

Thanks for your input but I make it a habit of noticing...ever since our second cruise ever in 2001. I remember it was our first formal night and my entire family were dressed nicely. My daughter and myself in nice dresses and my husband and son in pressed slacks with tucked in shirts. As we were walking towards the dining room a lady probably about 35 looked at us and said loud enough for us to all hear, "wow, that's not anywhere close to formal attire, they should be kicked out of the dining room." Now granted, I was not in an evening gown and my husband not in a tux but we were definitely presentable and did not get kicked out. Funny, this was even on Carnival! Ever since then, I've noticed pretty much what people wear into the MDR...probably because I can't help myself. Now, to address your comment, it is definitely possible that someone somewhere was in the MDR in jeans and I didn't spot them.

Wear what you fell comfortable in. Don't worry about what your fellow cruisers will think. It's not a competition.

I've done both ... the full on dress up and the more casual but smart Jeans, shirt and blazer. Felt comfortable in either.

I always find there will always be someone in more formal attire and someone in more casual attire than me whatever I wear.

As for formal nights, we tend to do the full dress up, not because we have to because we don't, but because its fun and part of cruising. I did once do the Jeans, shirt and blazer look on formal night and it was fine too. On most cruises lots of people don't do the full formal dress on formal night.

For those saying 'bring your kids to the solarium' 'save seats in the theatre' blah blah blah ... these are rules to ensure everyone has an enjoyable cruise and should be obeyed out of courtesy for your fellow guests. If someone wearing jeans spoils your cruise you need to have a chat with yourself. It is a dress suggestion not a rule.

Anyway. Imagine you are going to a really nice restaurant at home. Wear what you would feel comfortable in going there and you won't go wrong.

The thread title was crystal clear. If you don't like it don't look. Simple. Have a nice day:)

Ok, my bad, let me rephrase it for you. I don't mind the questions from people who honestly don't know if jeans are allowed or not. To that end, there was no reason for me to ignore the thread based on the thread title. I wanted to answer for the OP. What bothers me is all the answers implying that one can't or shouldn't wear them. I still read them though, because I've seen threads where some replies gave completely false information (like, "no, they are not allowed"), in which case I may offer correct information.

Ok, my bad, let me rephrase it for you. I don't mind the questions from people who honestly don't know if jeans are allowed or not. To that end, there was no reason for me to ignore the thread based on the thread title. I wanted to answer for the OP. What bothers me is all the answers implying that one can't or shouldn't wear them. I still read them though, because I've seen threads where some replies gave completely false information (like, "no, they are not allowed"), in which case I may offer correct information.

Fair enough Meg:)