Jeans in the MDR

mildew1951

I think some people will say no (first few said yes!), but if they're dark wash and worn with a nice button up (tucked in of course), nobody will bat an eye. Don't forget a decent pair of shoes!

It's the jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers crowd that is frowned upon. And I don't blame RCI for not allowing it. I get that everybody is on vacation, but if you wouldn't wear it to a three star restaurant in your hometown, don't wear it to the MDR. Just my personal opinion.

Of course, Colorado dress codes don't necessarily follow the rest of the country's dress code rules. Many of our Senators and Representatives wear a button up and tie with jeans and boots. :)

Edited by TomAceEsq

I think some people will say no (first few said yes!), but if they're dark wash and worn with a nice button up (tucked in of course), nobody will bat an eye. Don't forget a decent pair of shoes!

It's the jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers crowd that is frowned upon. And I don't blame RCI for not allowing it. I get that everybody is on vacation, but if you wouldn't wear it to a three star restaurant in your hometown, don't wear it to the MDR. Just my personal opinion.

Of course, Colorado dress codes don't necessarily follow the rest of the country's dress code rules. Many of our Senators and Representatives wear a button up and tie with jeans and boots. :)

Royal does not really enforce too much of its dress code or suggestion. You will see the jean, sneaker and t shirt crowd in the MDR. Even shorts on occasion.

Royal does not really enforce too much of its dress code or suggestion. You will see the jean, sneaker and t shirt crowd in the MDR. Even shorts on occasion.

Right on. That's not a problem for my wife and I even though we prefer to do something a little "dressier." We're part of the "to each their own" group.

You can wear jeans on ANY night (formal or otherwise) and in ANY condition (dark, frayed, faded, etc.)

RCCL has relaxed the dress code.

We are "old school" or maybe just "old" and dress up a bit more, but that is our choice.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

You can wear jeans on ANY night (formal or otherwise) and in ANY condition (dark, frayed, faded, etc.)

RCCL has relaxed the dress code.

We are "old school" or maybe just "old" and dress up a bit more, but that is our choice.

M

Unfortunately this is true and we are not formal dressers, just dress up more for the occasion.

Having said that, there are a jeans and there are jeans, my wife has jeans that look great, and cost more than most peoples formal clothes, well at least the ones on sale LOL, and YES she wears them on formal nights if she wants to.

Can you wear jeans in the MDR on other than formal nights?

You certainly can wear jeans. I can't really comment on whether you'll be out of place or not. Jeans are not the norm, but not uncommon, on Caribbean cruises. But I have no idea what will be typical for Australia and South Pacific. Sounds like quite an itinerary, though. Six weeks on a cruise ship!

Edited by Paul65

Haha! These are the kind of answers that confuse people. What is in between "not the norm" and "not uncommon?" ;)

I just meant that, you'll most likely see a number of people in jeans on any given Caribbean cruise (at least based on my cruises), so not uncommon, but I think casual slacks, like "khakis", are more the norm.

Wasn't trying to confuse anyone. It's sort of like saying tuxedos on formal night are not the norm, but not uncommon. You will see some people in tuxedos, but likely to see more people with a normal suit jacket or sports coat than going all-out with the tux.

Edited by Paul65

In practice you can wear whatever you want (for the most part). On a transatlantic cruise last year we watched a women wear the exact same animal print outfit every single night to dinner (and I'm quite sure it was pajamas). I didn't bring anything more than jeans myself because we were spending time in Europe post cruise and I needed pants I could wear multiple times between washing and needed to pack light. No one cared and I was far from alone in my casual attire even on formal nights.

Since someone referenced Thurston Howell III (rich and stuffy Gilligan's Island character if you are unfamiliar) I'll try to make analogy here that should give you a good idea on what to expect. Jeans on any night are fine and you will see lots of others in jeans. Jeans on formal night in the dining room is certainly under dressed but Royal has a suggested dress code, not an enforced code. You may get a look or two from the Thurston Howell that would be about the worst of it. The service staff wouldn't even give it a second look as they work for us and many others will be casual on "formal nights". So for a long cruise such as what you have listed if you are planning on packing and wearing jeans I wouldn't worry one bit about wearing them any night you want.

Can you wear jeans in the MDR on other than formal nights?

I just meant that, you'll most likely see a number of people in jeans on any given Caribbean cruise (at least based on my cruises), so not uncommon, but I think casual slacks, like "khakis", are more the norm.

Wasn't trying to confuse anyone. It's sort of like saying tuxedos on formal night are not the norm, but not uncommon. You will see some people in tuxedos, but likely to see more people with a normal suit jacket or sports coat than going all-out with the tux.

Makes sense.

Great Mitch Hedberg quote by the way!

Lot's of people wear nice jeans to the MDR these days. I like to wear khakis like Levi Dockers because I think they are more comfortable and just slightly less casual than jeans. Typically jeans fit tighter and are not as soft. I usually end up eating a lot on cruises so tight clothes are not always the best idea :D

Also, I don't think there is anything special about having your shirt tucked in. I often wear really nice Tommy Bahama type shirts that are squared off on the bottom (like Hawaiian shirts) and they are also really comfortable.

Like others have said, there really aren't any rules these days. We tend to dress up for formal nights as well, but not because we think we have to... it's just kind like a treat since we mostly wear jeans and flannel in our normal lives. No three star restaurant in Oregon expects anyone to dress any differently than they would if they are going to Denny's anymore.

I know there are people who are forced to wear suits in their every day lives and when on vacation just want to dress more casually. I get that. Our lives are just different.

Tom

In my experience most people blowing $600+ dollars for dinner in a 3 star restaurant dress up big time. There are only 4 in the UK and 13 in the whole of the USA. I cant see one at all in Oregon though? The French Laundry and the Restaurant at Meadowood are both in Napa Valley and I think now have 3 stars.

In my experience most people blowing $600+ dollars for dinner in a 3 star restaurant dress up big time. There are only 4 in the UK and 13 in the whole of the USA. I cant see one at all in Oregon though? The French Laundry and the Restaurant at Meadowood are both in Napa Valley and I think now have 3 stars.

If that $600 dinner is a once in a lifetime special event that they saved up for for 2 years, then yeah, they probably would dress up big time for pictures and special memories.

There are also some people that go to that restaurant a couple times a month and , its just about the food and they go more casual.

Not everyone looks for the same experience

You certainly can wear jeans. I can't really comment on whether you'll be out of place or not. Jeans are not the norm, but not uncommon, on Caribbean cruises. But I have no idea what will be typical for Australia and South Pacific. Sounds like quite an itinerary, though. Six weeks on a cruise ship!

The OP didn't ask whether he/she'd be out of place or not (they won't), or if they are common or not (they are). Just wanted to know if they're allowed.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but since a lot of people seem to ask, I am just going to give my person anecdote. I brought 3 of the wrong pairs of pants with me on my FOS cruise last week, they were slightly too small. After a week of eating too much delicious food (I loved Giovanni's and Sabor), drinking (usually I have about a class of wine a week) and generally more salt than I usually have, I could not get into my dress pants.

Instead, on the 2nd formal night, I put on my super dressy, sparkly top as planned, but then wore my darkest, nicest, recently tailored jeans and my dressiest shoes. I was mortified, but I also knew my table was right at the entrance and I was eating alone (my tablemates were going to Sabor that night).

And honestly...the world did not end. Would I do it again? No, I would double check which 3 pairs of my 12 pairs of black pants I was taking and take a few different (read: larger) sizes. Did people whisper or gasp in horror for the two second walk between the entrance and my table? No. Did the dining staff stop me at the door, no. Did some people look at me and judge me a horrible, low class person? I'm sure they did, but I can't do anything about that. I also admit that this cruise, late seat on the 3rd floor was almost completely empty every night, but especially on formal night. I was the only table in my waiter's section. Maybe I would have felt worse if it was the early seating and super filled. Also, in general this seemed like a super, casual group compared to previous cruises I've done with RCCL.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but since a lot of people seem to ask, I am just going to give my person anecdote. I brought 3 of the wrong pairs of pants with me on my FOS cruise last week, they were slightly too small. After a week of eating too much delicious food (I loved Giovanni's and Sabor), drinking (usually I have about a class of wine a week) and generally more salt than I usually have, I could not get into my dress pants.

Instead, on the 2nd formal night, I put on my super dressy, sparkly top as planned, but then wore my darkest, nicest, recently tailored jeans and my dressiest shoes. I was mortified, but I also knew my table was right at the entrance and I was eating alone (my tablemates were going to Sabor that night).

And honestly...the world did not end. Would I do it again? No, I would double check which 3 pairs of my 12 pairs of black pants I was taking and take a few different (read: larger) sizes. Did people whisper or gasp in horror for the two second walk between the entrance and my table? No. Did the dining staff stop me at the door, no. Did some people look at me and judge me a horrible, low class person? I'm sure they did, but I can't do anything about that. I also admit that this cruise, late seat on the 3rd floor was almost completely empty every night, but especially on formal night. I was the only table in my waiter's section. Maybe I would have felt worse if it was the early seating and super filled. Also, in general this seemed like a super, casual group compared to previous cruises I've done with RCCL.

Now you know the only people that matter what you are wearing to your choice of dining venue are only the dining staff at the door or in the dining room. Nobody else counts. Hope you had a great Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

The OP didn't ask whether he/she'd be out of place or not (they won't), or if they are common or not (they are). Just wanted to know if they're allowed.

Okay. The OP didn't ask that specific question, just like I didn't ask your opinion of my response. But we're all free to post what we want. I thought it might be helpful to give a little personal experience. Just because the OP doesn't specifically ask, "will I be out of place?" doesn't mean they don't care and ONLY want to know if it's allowed.

So, I still think it was fine to say that it's not unusual to see jeans on cruises in the Caribbean, but that may or may not translate to being the same on a South Pacific / Southeast Asia cruise.;) But, by all means, if you do have the personal experience of dining attire on South Pacific sailings, your input is equally helpful.

Edited by Paul65