Is my kid gonna hate me?

Shore>Mom

So DD has only had motion sickness once in her lifetime. We were flounder fishing offshore and we were rocking and rolling on a small center console. She didn't vomit just foamed at the mouth a little and that made us laugh. It was the last day of flounder season so we couldn't take her in - don't judge me LOL. She is fine on car trips, ferries, roller coasters etc. We are booked Lido forward cabin. Anyone have thoughts on exactly how bad we gonna rock on the Lido if we hit weather? I got a sea band and some bonine. Called her Dr. and he said just do benadryl or dramamine. I'm not even going to let her see the sea band etc. because this is one dramatic 12 yo. But thoughts on what to do if she is very uncomfortable. Thanks in advance any replies.

I'm extremely motion sick in certain places but only once ever on a cruise! I do the motion sickness pills ( walmart 4$) but I've heard of some folks who like ginger tablets? That they work...not really sure but maybe you could also try the patch behind the ear!

So DD has only had motion sickness once in her lifetime. We were flounder fishing offshore and we were rocking and rolling on a small center console. She didn't vomit just foamed at the mouth a little and that made us laugh. It was the last day of flounder season so we couldn't take her in - don't judge me LOL. She is fine on car trips' date=' ferries, roller coasters etc. We are booked Lido forward cabin. Anyone have thoughts on exactly how bad we gonna rock on the Lido if we hit weather? I got a sea band and some bonine. Called her Dr. and he said just do benadryl or dramamine. I'm not even going to let her see the sea band etc. because this is one dramatic 12 yo. But thoughts on what to do if she is very uncomfortable. Thanks in advance any replies.[/quote']

Your doctor gave you some preventative advise. The problem is, you are asking what to do if she becomes uncomfortable and the drugs don't work after someone feels sick. Ask you doctor about ginger pills. Ginger will work even after someone feels sick.

Next, if the ship starts rocking, get her outside where she can see the horizon. Motion sickness results from a conflict between the eyes and ears. Inside her ears will sense the motion, but her eyes will not see it.

What are causes of motion sickness?

Motion sickness is caused by the mixed signals sent to the brain by the eyes and the inner ear (semicircular canals). If you cannot see the motion your body's feeling, or conversely, if you cannot feel the motion your eyes see, then it is likely that the brain will get mixed signals and the person will develop some aspect or symptom of motion sickness.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/10/2014

http://www.medicinenet.com/motion_sickness_sea_sickness_car_sickness/article.htm#what_are_causes_of_motion_sickness

Motion sickness occurs when the inner ear camera.gif, the eyes, and other areas of the body that detect motion send unexpected or conflicting messages to the brain. One part of your balance-sensing system (your inner ear, vision, and sensory nerves that help you keep your balance) may sense that your body is moving, while the other parts do not sense motion. For example, if you are in the cabin of a moving ship, your inner ear may sense the motion of big waves, but your eyes don't see any movement. This leads to a conflict between the senses and results in motion sickness.

It's best to try to prevent motion sickness, because symptoms are hard to stop after they start. After motion sickness has started, relief comes only after the motion has stopped. If you can't stop the motion, you may be able to reduce the feeling of queasiness by sitting or lying down in an area that appears to move the least. In an airplane, sit near the wings. On a boat or ship, stay on the deck, looking at the horizon. Or try to sit or lie down in a cabin near the center of the ship.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/motion-sickness-topic-overview

I use ginger pills. They work to settle your stomach. I also take them when I've "over-indulged" at dinner (helps with reflux for me too). And I agree about starting to take them a few days before travel. I've only been seasick once and we had 20 ft seas. I've felt significant rocking before and it didn't get to me.

I use the patch but some people have vision problems with the patch, for a 12 year old i would ask a doctor first before trying meds, i hear green apples, ginger snaps, ginger ale helps, good luck and enjoy your cruise :)

My adult DD suffers from motion sickness.

We got her the Ginger chews from Trader Joe's and also the natural remedy called MotionEaze.

Those helped her so much.

I think if you give a 12 YO Benadryl or Bonine-Dramamine, she is going to be "out of it" for her cruise.

She may be fine and not need anything at all.

Your doctor gave you some preventative advise. The problem is, you are asking what to do if she becomes uncomfortable and the drugs don't work after someone feels sick. Ask you doctor about ginger pills. Ginger will work even after someone feels sick.

Next, if the ship starts rocking, get her outside where she can see the horizon. Motion sickness results from a conflict between the eyes and ears. Inside her ears will sense the motion, but her eyes will not see it.

What are causes of motion sickness?

Motion sickness is caused by the mixed signals sent to the brain by the eyes and the inner ear (semicircular canals). If you cannot see the motion your body's feeling, or conversely, if you cannot feel the motion your eyes see, then it is likely that the brain will get mixed signals and the person will develop some aspect or symptom of motion sickness.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/10/2014

http://www.medicinenet.com/motion_sickness_sea_sickness_car_sickness/article.htm#what_are_causes_of_motion_sickness

Motion sickness occurs when the inner ear camera.gif, the eyes, and other areas of the body that detect motion send unexpected or conflicting messages to the brain. One part of your balance-sensing system (your inner ear, vision, and sensory nerves that help you keep your balance) may sense that your body is moving, while the other parts do not sense motion. For example, if you are in the cabin of a moving ship, your inner ear may sense the motion of big waves, but your eyes don't see any movement. This leads to a conflict between the senses and results in motion sickness.

It's best to try to prevent motion sickness, because symptoms are hard to stop after they start. After motion sickness has started, relief comes only after the motion has stopped. If you can't stop the motion, you may be able to reduce the feeling of queasiness by sitting or lying down in an area that appears to move the least. In an airplane, sit near the wings. On a boat or ship, stay on the deck, looking at the horizon. Or try to sit or lie down in a cabin near the center of the ship.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/motion-sickness-topic-overview

As someone who is prone to motion sickness but never knew "why", this is the best explanation I have seen and the reasons why certain things work (actually going out and seeing the horizon) really make sense. Thank you for posting this great information.

To the OP: I tried ginger pills on our last cruise and they worked the first few days when the seas were calmer, but the last two days we had rougher seas than I'm used to and I started feeling it...not sick, just "feeling it". I had "non drowsy" Dramamine as a back-up and took it and felt better after an hour or so. In the "Fun Shops", there were several people buying Dramamine (they ended up selling out) and some of them had sea bands and said they weren't working. If you can get the patch someone else mentioned, I would. A friend of mine who has major motion sickness uses them when they cruise and she hasn't had a problem.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I can ride roller coasters, etc but I do get extreme motion sickness on boats. Years ago, we took a day cruise from Fort Lauderdale to the Bahamas. I threw up for 8 hours straight without relief (because once it starts, it's hard to stop it) and continued for hours after we got to the hotel on the island.

Dramamine works differently than Bonine. They are actually different drugs. Dramamine is more drowsy than Bonine. I take one Bonine each morning and have no problems on ships now - big ones or dive boats, tender boats, etc.

Seasickness is unlike anything I've ever experienced. It can be brutal.

I did look into patches last year but one side effect is migraine headaches. Since I am prone to them anyway, last thing I wanted to do was have one on vacation. The patches also cause drowsiness.

Buy a box of bonine, take one on the first day as a preventative and then see how it goes. If she feels the least bit queasy, take them every day.

Get some motioneez. It's an essential oil blend. It's near the Dramamine at Walmart. Just a drop rubbed behind each ear. We used this on our december cruise on the triumph. Worked like a charm and it was rocky the whole cruise! We also took ginger pills regularly before and during the cruise.

I typically use bonine, once in the morning and once in the evening. I also bring a giner supplement (found in the vitamin aisle of stores) for really rough days. Just be aware that if you take too much ginger too quickly, it can back you up a bit (if you catch my drift). Start slow on the ginger if you take it.

So DD has only had motion sickness once in her lifetime. We were flounder fishing offshore and we were rocking and rolling on a small center console. She didn't vomit just foamed at the mouth a little and that made us laugh.

I think I would worry more about how she's going to pay you back for this when she grows up than anything else. Laughing at a child always comes back to bite you.

When I get a little queasy, I chew on a piece of candied ginger. You can get it at Trader Joes or a health food store. Also Ginger Ale (make sure it contains real ginger) is good. I have heard green apples and crackers also works.

If your DD is starting to feel seasick, have her go outside. Fresh air is better than stale, indoor air.

Edited by Rosefloater

I think I would worry more about how she's going to pay you back for this when she grows up than anything else. Laughing at a child always comes back to bite you.

Agree. Saw this bumper sticker:

"Be nice to your kids. They'll pick your nursing home." :)

So DD has only had motion sickness once in her lifetime. We were flounder fishing offshore and we were rocking and rolling on a small center console. She didn't vomit just foamed at the mouth a little and that made us laugh. It was the last day of flounder season so we couldn't take her in - don't judge me LOL. She is fine on car trips' date=' ferries, roller coasters etc. We are booked Lido forward cabin. Anyone have thoughts on exactly how bad we gonna rock on the Lido if we hit weather? I got a sea band and some bonine. Called her Dr. and he said just do benadryl or dramamine. I'm not even going to let her see the sea band etc. because this is one dramatic 12 yo. But thoughts on what to do if she is very uncomfortable. Thanks in advance any replies.[/quote']

You already have the answer - do what the doctor said.

Being on a cruise ship is NOTHING like deep sea fishing....NOTHING AT ALL!

If it is really rough, yeah, you'll feel it, but it's a much slower motion than on even a 50 foot boat. No worries!

Also, the medical center on the ship has meds.....very effective. Do NOT put your worries onto your 12 year old....she'll be fine!

Edited by cb at sea

To answer your question about Lido deck, we have been on Lido the last several cruises and it was no worse than some of the lower decks we have been on. Having said that, if you hit some really nasty seas/winds, you may find it to a little more "moving" than a lower deck. I don't think you have too much to worry about! Just take the necessary precautions if you feel it is necessary and then enjoy your cruise!!

Although I've gotten extremely seasick on fishing boats I barely get motion sick on cruises, even in forward. The stabilisers on a cruise ship keep the motion from being as much. Plus a cruise ship is much larger than fishing boat so not as much motion.