Table for 3 for traditional dining?

BaileyandBella

Table size requests done in advance are even numbers only: 2, 4, 6, 8. You can certainly go see the Maitre d' during his posted office hours on embarkation day and request that your table for 4 be limited to just the three of you. No guarantees, though, as if TD is to capacity, that fourth seat at your table may have to be utilized by someone.

Hi!

If we request a table just for the 3 of us, is there a chance they might seat a single cruiser with us?

I would say there is a very good chance this would happen unless the dining room for your seating is not full or almost full.

Request a table for four although even that is not guaranteed to happen when they assigned the tables a few days before the cruise.

You didn't say what seating you were requesting. Late seating is always easier and your chances are probably a lot better then someone asking for a table for 2. As mentioned see the Maitre d when you board the first day. It may or may not take him one day to make the arrangements if he has not already done so. They are pretty good at getting the customer what they request. Don't forget to tell you travel agent to request it also and if the 3rd person is traveling in a separate cabin have the travel agent link the booking numbers.

Many single cruisers post here, and many are lovely people.

If one was seated with you, it might turn out OK.

Many times, people you dine with add to your cruise experience.

I will never ever forget, years ago, walking to the mosque in Casablanca with my table mates. They invited me. I never would have had the courage to do that alone. Those were the days...

Others are still in regular contact with me, 21 years later.

Maybe we should consider the karma :)

I guess you could ignore the intrusive "single cruiser" so he or she will feel uncomfortable and go away.

Or maybe you could talk to and include the single cruisers and all of you would have a very good time and learn some things about each other. But then that might just help you to enjoy the cruise. That might make them feel more comfortable.

Hi!

If we request a table just for the 3 of us, is there a chance they might seat a single cruiser with us?

Thanks!

Well as one of "those" single/solo cruisers....

I'm not sure if you can be certain of getting what you want in Traditional Dining. I know they try to fill up the tables as best they can and there are limited numbers of 2 top and 4 top tables.

Might I suggest you shift over to Anytime Dining where you can request exactly what you want. You may have to wait a bit for a 3 top table - but then you won't have to worry about "us" single folk having to sit with you! :D

Edited by cpcanuck

Or maybe you could talk to and include the single cruisers and all of you would have a very good time and learn some things about each other. But then that might just help you to enjoy the cruise. That might make them feel more comfortable.

Exactly. I'll be doing a solo in 5 weeks, so I guess I'm one of those undesirables. Too bad, I would have bought a bottle of wine for the table.

Another thing to consider is that the other passengers have already had their dining assigned, so it's really rude to have them moved. If you don't want to sit there you have your own party moved.

With anytime dining, you have a different waiter each night, is that correct?

Not necessarily. If you find a wait staff you like you can always make a reservation each night and ask for that same wait staff again.

Exactly. I'll be doing a solo in 5 weeks, so I guess I'm one of those undesirables. Too bad, I would have bought a bottle of wine for the table.

Another thing to consider is that the other passengers have already had their dining assigned, so it's really rude to have them moved. If you don't want to sit there you have your own party moved.

Where did the OP say that the single person was an undesirable? They simply asked if they could get a table for 3. Others on this thread have implied it, sorry to say. The OP has every right to ask for a table for just the 3 of them as a single person or group can ask for a large table so they can meet new people. Why do you think that others have suggested meeting with the matri d before hand. That way no one is embarrassed .

Take it easy on the OP. He/she is not saying they don't like single cruisers. I can see their point. If I was a party of three I would rather join a bigger table than have one single join my table for three. What would that single do if they chose to eat at a different venue. I know I would feel bad doing that to someone. I would also think a single cruiser would prefer a table that was a mix of different people than be seated with an established group of three. I would.

With anytime dining, you have a different waiter each night, is that correct?

You may or may not BUT you will be able to get a table for just the three of you for sure in Anytime Dining.

Having a different wait staff each evening is not really a bad thing.

LuLu

I am not against single cruisers! :) But if we are going to sit with others, I would rather it be a big table with many, where we can all chit chat with each other.

We will have late dining.

I do actually get what you are trying to say, and I think you are correct in your thinking...if you can't get a table for 3 (and as I suggested earlier you may have better luck with anytime dining) then you are better to go for a larger table to get a bit more diversity at the table. It's not easy for the single person trying to fit in at a 4 top table when they are clearly the odd person out! It's the same reason I either sit on my own or look for a larger table.

We don't request a specific table size as there's just three of us, but we like to get assigned to a bigger table as that's part of the cruising experience for us, and gives us a better chance to have interesting people at our table.

On one Carnival cruise, we were probably among the last to book it (eight days before the sailing date) and the three of us got our own table.

On our last cruise, we booked it right before final payment and the options were early/early traditional or anytime. We disliked our anytime experience on the prior cruise, so I said we're take the early/early. We went to the see the Wizard...I mean, the head waiter the first afternoon and asked if we can get switched to late traditional. We were told they'll try, but go to our assigned table the first night, which turned out to be a big table. The next morning we got a letter with our new assignment, and it was a table for 4, for the three of us. I have a feeling that if a solo cruiser wants traditional, they'll get placed at a larger table, rather than being put with a threesome.

Now when we took the train between southern California and Seattle for our Alaskan cruise, all seats in the dining car will be used. So we always had a solo traveler seated with us. Our tablemates always turned out to be interesting, usually with quite a few train stories to tell (seems many of the solos use the train quite a bit). Space is at a premium, especially at meal times, so don't expect to have empty seats on a train.