extra charges for your on board account if you use credit card

windsor26

Having many (35) cruises in my history I am surprised to find that the details of my forthcoming Carnival cruise tells me that if I use a credit card to pay my on board account NOT my [payment for the actual cruise) there will be a 1.5% additional charge for this

I find this so difficult to understand as it has never happened before on any of my cruiseds with many doifferent companies.

From cruisers who have sused CC for payment of their account is this actually charged to them or is it just a possibility?

It's getting common for places to impose a surcharge for using a CC.

DDs universities both charge a surcharge. One's in California and the other in Europe.

Somebody's got to pay for those points.

DDs universities both charge a surcharge. One's in California and the other in Europe.

It seems to be common for government institutions. I believe that is because they are usually a not for profit. Most businesses in the US don't add a surcharge. It is essentially built into the prices of goods and services in the commercial area in the US. I have seen businesses offer discounts for using cash. That way they don't have to pay the fees the credit card issuers charge. You do realize that a business pays a percentage of every credit card charge to the credit card company. If they don't want to pay it they charge you a surcharge.

Surcharges do not surprise me. They companies pay 1.5 to 3% on purchases and when profit margins are already small 3% can eat away at profit. That is the reason many places no longer accept American Express or Discover Card. Their fees are much higher than MC and Visa.

Same in Michigan, but my cash back reward is more than the surcharge so I do it for convenience.

Would like the OP to tell us if this a US cruise or not. ???

From Sydney to Hawaii:)

As said loads of cruises with P&O UK and Australia and HAL and Princess but no cc charges on their on board account Why would Carnival from the same group of companies charge

Edited by windsor26

From Sydney to Hawaii:)

As said loads of cruises with P&O UK and Australia and HAL and Princess but no cc charges on their on board account Why would Carnival from the same group of companies charge

They're independent companies, owned by the same corporation.

Yes bneing a shareholder I am aware of that but still confused as to why one company would stir up bad feeling by this charge:D

Countries of Origin? Where cruise is purchased? It's not common in the US but common in Europe.

Edited by SadieN