Upsell offers even if marked no upgrade?

SoCal Cruiser78

Did a search, and can't find the answer. Has anyone received upsell (not upgrade) offers even after having a booking marked "no upgrade"? We don't want our cabin "upgraded" without notice to a location we don't want, but would like the option of being notified with any upsell offers.

The Princess phone rep I spoke with didn't know; she said that is handled by a different department that she isn't allowed to connect customers to :(.

Thanks in advance :).

I've never gotten one and I've always checked "no upgrade". However this may be a result of my having accessible cabins; there may not be a "better" accessible cabin available for me to be offered.

Edited by Treven

Glad to hear it! That's what we were hoping for :).

Yah! And also glad it's not: "they don't want to move, so don't offer an upsell."

Agreed - thanks OP for asking the question! I don't want to be automatically upgraded either, but I might entertain the right (for us) upsell offer.

The Princess phone rep I spoke with didn't know; she said that is handled by a different department that she isn't allowed to connect customers to.

To me that is poor customer service. The rep could have put you on hold, contacted the other department herself, and then let you know the answer.

To me that is poor customer service. The rep could have put you on hold, contacted the other department herself, and then let you know the answer.

I agree. Perhaps they are hard to get through to internally? I would definitely like more transparency in the upgrade/upsell process, but that might take some of the mystery away ;).

I am thinking; if you contact them to try and get an "upsell" the deal price should be higher as they will think you are already sold on the idea.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I agree. Perhaps they are hard to get through to internally? I would definitely like more transparency in the upgrade/upsell process, but that might take some of the mystery away ;).

I think that we can't reach them by telephone, because if we could, they would be swamped with phone calls all day. People would be calling and asking for an upgrade, asking for an upsell etc and they wouldn't be able to get anything done.

The Princess phone rep I spoke with didn't know; she said that is handled by a different department that she isn't allowed to connect customers to.

The department which handles upsells is called "Yield Management". If you get an offer from them it tells you to call a number and extension. It is not the 1-800-PRINCESS number. When you call you will not talk to a live person, and you leave a voice mail message. They call you back in the order in which they receive the voice mails. The yield management folks are not regular customer service employees - their job is to maximize the fare revenue for Princess on each cruise.

As others have noted, you can receive an upsell offer even if you have marked your cabin as no upgrade. We took advantage of one in December and ended up in a full suite. It has ruined my future cruising... :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

I think that we can't reach them by telephone, because if we could, they would be swamped with phone calls all day. People would be calling and asking for an upgrade, asking for an upsell etc and they wouldn't be able to get anything done.

Exactly, not bad customer service at all. :)

The department which handles upsells is called "Yield Management". If you get an offer from them it tells you to call a number and extension. It is not the 1-800-PRINCESS number. When you call you will not talk to a live person, and you leave a voice mail message. They call you back in the order in which they receive the voice mails. The yield management folks are not regular customer service employees - their job is to maximize the fare revenue for Princess on each cruise.

If they are not busy when you call you will talk to a live person. We have.

If they are not busy when you call you will talk to a live person. We have.

Thanks, I stand corrected. I should know better to extrapolate my limited number of calls (yes, plural) into an absolute. :rolleyes:

Personally I think Princess is brilliant in employing upsells. We've all seen lots of threads here trying to figure out the best way to get a visit from the upgrade fairy. Why not offer the upsells at a price which is tempting? Princess gets more money from us and is able to resell cabins which are likely to be in higher demand. We took the bait on our last cruise and are glad we did.

Exactly, not bad customer service at all. :)

My comment on it being bad customer service was referring to the customer rep at 1-800-Princess not being willing to get the answer to the customer's question, not referring to the customer not being able to directly call the proper department.

For our upcoming cruise (3 days from now) we had our cabin marked as “No Upgrade”, but we got a great upsell offer and we grabbed it. 10 days on the Royal from Inside cabin to Deluxe Balcony with obstructed view for $129 pp. :D

Same offer here. Didn't blink. Grabbed it.

My comment on it being bad customer service was referring to the customer rep at 1-800-Princess not being willing to get the answer to the customer's question, not referring to the customer not being able to directly call the proper department.

Exactly! I realize that Yield Management would be swamped if pax could call them directly, but they should have better communication with Princess phone reps internally to get questions such as mine answered.

Edited by Ryndam2002