Diamond spouse, first cruise other spouse, RCCL asleep at the switch

kevink

So you are saying that anyone sailing as a 3'rd or 4'th guest in a cabin should not get the points as they did not pay regardless of age. Why should who pays be a factor in determining who gets points and who does not.

Our kids (now teens) always cruise with us and are in their own cabin. Why should they not get the points. I am paying full fare for them.

No, my comment stated another example where the loyalty discussion gets convoluted!

Why not this, why not that!

It breaks down to a 'what benefits you' discussion!

You took a side because 'it benefits you', others who don't have kids 'see it differently'.

People like the OP see it differently again then those who earned all their status through cruises they paid for.

And no matter what the cruise line does, there will be unhappy people!:)

Never had a problem with my wife using elite lounge or elite events on Princess even though she isn't entitled to inherit my Elite status.....however on our first cruise with RCCL she was not allowed to join me at any of the Diamond events, now say what you but want that is wrong in my eyes. Why would I ever go to the events by myself when I am on holiday with my wife? All the invitations I received from Princess were addressed to the cabin not just myself, unlike RCCL.

In fact i got asked to leave the diamond lounge when on my first cruise on the Legend, utterly embarrassing.

Just my 2 cents though, i know others think differently.....

No, my comment stated another example where the loyalty discussion gets convoluted!

Why not this, why not that!

It breaks down to a 'what benefits you' discussion!

You took a side because 'it benefits you', others who don't have kids 'see it differently'.

People like the OP see it differently again then those who earned all their status through cruises they paid for.

And no matter what the cruise line does, there will be unhappy people!:)

You seemed to be stretching it beyond "what benefits you." All paying passengers get cruise points (if they are signed up for the C&A program). It doesn't matter if the cruise was paid for by you, your spouse, your parents, your children, an anonymous benefactor, etc., etc.

If you are on the ship as a paid guest, you earn points. That's completely different from gaining a certain status, because you live with someone who has earned that status.

You seemed to be stretching it beyond "what benefits you." All paying passengers get cruise points (if they are signed up for the C&A program). It doesn't matter if the cruise was paid for by you, your spouse, your parents, your children, an anonymous benefactor, etc., etc.

If you are on the ship as a paid guest, you earn points. That's completely different from gaining a certain status, because you live with someone who has earned that status.

Exactly.

Read my comment, I'm not stretching anything. I have no dog in this fight!

It states another argument, of many that can be made in the area of loyalty, and cruisers will take the side that 'benefits' them the most!

You may disagree with the example I showed, but the argument is there, and there are many more.

And the cruise line will always aggravate someone, no matter their decision when it comes to loyalty benes..

Edited by American Bear

Read my comment, I'm not stretching anything. I have no dog in this fight!

It states another argument, of many that can be made in the area of loyalty, and cruisers will take the side that 'benefits' them the most!

You may disagree with the example I showed, but the argument is there, and there are many more.

And the cruise line will always aggravate someone, no matter their decision when it comes to loyalty benes..

I read your comment, and I still am of the opinion that you are stretching it. You said:

"I'd go the extra step and say your daughter doesn't deserve the increased level either because you paid, the kids just went along."

While I have actually seen people make that argument, it's a pretty ridiculous one. Why on earth would a company want to get into assigning loyalty points based on who paid the bill. They don't really care, as long as the bill gets paid. That's a long way from being comparable to a discussion about people being automatically granted the benefits earned by someone else.

Edited by Paul65

Exactly - IMO, they should have to earn the status by spending the same amount of time (and money) as the rest of us (well, most of us:rolleyes:)

Agree 100%. Marital status should have absolutely nothing to do with this. A passenger is a passenger.

I seem to recall that I attained Diamond status after the FIRST NIGHT of my last 7-day cruise on RCCL. Did I get to enjoy Diamond perks for the remaining 6 days? Heck, no. I won't see them until I embark on my NEXT voyage on Vision in October.

I'm irked that someone would receive Diamond privileges most have paid thousands to earn just because she has a husband, after she completes only one voyage. It would be even more outrageous that she should get them the moment she first steps onboard, on her first cruise.

It's nothing personal, but simply a matter of fairness. Why should couples get considerations that solo travelers would never be entitled to? Solos already have to pay DOUBLE. :confused:

Agree 100%. Marital status should have absolutely nothing to do with this. A passenger is a passenger.

I seem to recall that I attained Diamond status after the FIRST NIGHT of my last 7-day cruise on RCCL. Did I get to enjoy Diamond perks for the remaining 6 days? Heck, no. I won't see them until I embark on my NEXT voyage on Vision in October.

I'm irked that someone would receive Diamond privileges most have paid thousands to earn just because she has a husband, after she completes only one voyage. It would be even more outrageous that she should get them the moment she first steps onboard, on her first cruise.

It's nothing personal, but simply a matter of fairness. Why should couples get considerations that solo travelers would never be entitled to? Solos already have to pay DOUBLE. :confused:

There are some other travel businesses that extend "elite" perks to traveling companions of the traveler who earned the perks. For example, my wife travels a bit for work, so she has earned elite frequent flyer status with one of the airlines. If I travel with her (on the same itinerary), there are certain perks I can enjoy, such as no checked baggage fee and access to preferred seating, but I don't get the full benefits of her status, nor do I get any of the benefits, if I'm traveling by myself.

C&A Society definitely seems generous to spouses in this regard.

Solos now get double points, triple if in a suite.

Solos now get double points, triple if in a suite.

Excellent point. Yes, they do. And it's high time solos finally got something to show for the single supplements they've been paying for years. :D

Why on earth would a company want to get into assigning loyalty points based on who paid the bill. They don't really care, as long as the bill gets paid. That's a long way from being comparable to a discussion about people being automatically granted the benefits earned by someone else.

I've paid for two cruises for my in-laws, one for my mom another time and they had their own loft suites. I'll take their points, I'd have another 42 points towards Pinnacle. :D

I read your comment, and I still am of the opinion that you are stretching it. You said:

"I'd go the extra step and say your daughter doesn't deserve the increased level either because you paid, the kids just went along."

While I have actually seen people make that argument, it's a pretty ridiculous one.

Sounds like you're stretching to understand, so here it is again,,,it was an example to another cruiser showing the extremes this discussion on benes. can take.

How?

By giving him/her an example of children getting points.

Why?

Because many view a discussion on benefits as what will benefit them, such as the OP's complaints on needing to take one cruise.

Happy cruising.:)

Edited by American Bear

I've paid for two cruises for my in-laws, one for my mom another time and they had their own loft suites. I'll take their points, I'd have another 42 points towards Pinnacle. :D

Interesting idea.

On MSC last year, in their loyalty club, you get 1 extra pt. to your total days cruised for every $200. you spend on board the ship, including gratuities, excursions, specialty meals, drinks, etc.

The on board spending was put on my credit card so I got all the extra points for all our on board spending, not my wife!:D

Excellent point. Yes, they do. And it's high time solos finally got something to show for the single supplements they've been paying for years. :D

I agree. I have never travelled solo, but if they are paying double they do deserve it. I have been lucky to experience my first cruise on my honeymoon so my DW and I are equal in points.

I do wonder and feel though for those solo cruisers (either divorced, widowed, or never married) who are high up the CA ladder and meet their new life partner who has never sailed before. If they did not inherit their partners status after one sailing how fun would it be to have one off at the Diamond lounge while the other is sitting back in the cabin as they are only gold.

It would be that way forever, unless the lower point member starts to cruise solo. I see that couple leaving RC to start with another line, or maybe just quit cruising. It isn't good for the new couples togetherness and it is aloss in sales for RC from a once loyal member.

Just a generalized comment; it is not as though people marry for a higher CA status or have arranged marriages to attain it. :);)

Airline loyalty programs are the same way. Name on the ticket gets the points, regardless of who pays.

On the other hand, hotel pricing doesn't work the same way. You pay for one room and can stuff as few or as many people in it as you like for the same price. So only one person gets the points.

s.

The hotels I stay at limit the number of people in a room. You cannot stuff as many in. And yes, only one person earns hotel points, basically the person who is on the reservation. Most high end hotels are limiting how many elites they allow in their lounges. Usually guest + one. If more than that they are welcome but must pay to go into the lounge.

I agree. I have never travelled solo, but if they are paying double they do deserve it. I have been lucky to experience my first cruise on my honeymoon so my DW and I are equal in points.

I do wonder and feel though for those solo cruisers (either divorced, widowed, or never married) who are high up the CA ladder and meet their new life partner who has never sailed before. If they did not inherit their partners status after one sailing how fun would it be to have one off at the Diamond lounge while the other is sitting back in the cabin as they are only gold.

It would be that way forever, unless the lower point member starts to cruise solo. I see that couple leaving RC to start with another line, or maybe just quit cruising. It isn't good for the new couples togetherness and it is aloss in sales for RC from a once loyal member.

Just a generalized comment; it is not as though people marry for a higher CA status or have arranged marriages to attain it. :);)

Why do you equate solo with single?

The wife cruises solo because she gets 6 weeks vacation and I get two.

Truthfully, she probably has 60 more points than I do. However as long as she cruises more than I, a rising tide raises all boats in our family

The hotels I stay at limit the number of people in a room. You cannot stuff as many in. And yes, only one person earns hotel points, basically the person who is on the reservation. Most high end hotels are limiting how many elites they allow in their lounges. Usually guest + one. If more than that they are welcome but must pay to go into the lounge.

I work for an oil company, we put all our crews up in hotels, practically full time. The supervisor puts all the rooms on his credit card, and his Hilton Honors account (lots of Hampton Inns). These guys earn millions of points a year. Just the way it is

Truthfully, she probably has 60 more points than I do. However as long as she cruises more than I, a rising tide raises all boats in our family

I said I feel for the solos that are divorced, widowed or never married if the points weren't matched after the first cruise. People deserve to be together. Of course there are solo cruisers that go without their spouse, or significant other. Your situation is a great example and it is by choice.

If my DW went without me she could end up single. :p Now if I had 6 weeks it might be a different story. ;)

I'm the OP of this thread. I'm surprised this thread came back alive, I was a little taken aback at the negative reaction I got and decided to let it drop.

The point I think many people missed in part because I expressed it so badly is that loyalty programs like C&A are primarily meant to try to lock you in as a returning customer and make you want to keep coming back for the perks. It's not about "who earned it" or who didn't.

There's a great quote in the movie Hoffa that's always rung true to me: "A real grievance can be resolved; differences can be resolved. But an imaginary hurt, a slight - that ************ gonna hate you 'til the day he dies." And to me, blocking someone's spouse from joining them in a lounge is a slight, and it's not a good way to earn future business. You've already got your hooks into half the couple, so what would be the upside? You want them both joyously happy and booking their next Future Cruise onboard.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, my concerns were resolved with a call to the Loyalty desk. Thanks to all who replied, even if only crocodile tears were offered. :-)

Kevin

Edited by kevink

Take advantage of her lack of C&A status. Contact them and get the 25$ bring a friend OBC. It is valid for any first time Royal cruisers in your group.

Does this count if you are bringing your kids on their first cruise?

I thought you had 52 weeks vacation time a year now? :D:):D

*rushes off to try and find out if there are any single pinnacles or even Diamonds on my upcoming cruise I can strike up a friendship with ;)

You can start a new arranged marriage business. 'cheaper D status Rci ' could be a winner

Does this count if you are bringing your kids on their first cruise?

No. Bring a friend guests must be 18 or over.

There are some rules that apply, such as:

You must register at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/BringaFriend

We must be able to verify you as a Crown & Anchor Society member so place your full name and Crown & Anchor Society number in your reservation.

Your guest must be sailing on a Royal Caribbean ship for the first time and we can verify full name and date of birth in their reservation. We also need an email address or telephone number available for the guest.

Both you and your guest must of 18 years of age or older.

Unfortunately we can't accept any reservations made with employee or travel agent rates and sailings within a group booking will not be accepted.

Edited by Ourusualbeach