Chair hog solution?

KCMiller

I just got off the pride Jan 3. I do not need a chair. I don't sit long enough to need one. I was in the gym at 6 everyday of the cruise. Without fail everyday, except last sea day, there were items placed on chairs all around the 2 main pools. I was in line for an omelet at 8:30 behind a lady and her daughter explaining to someone how they had to be up early to save their deck chairs.

I like to sit in the pool myself and witnessed many times chairs with stuff on them and no people for over an hour, easy.

This problem will never go away. No use complaining and people should never touch other people's things, go to an employee if you have an issue!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Also I want to clarify, it wasn't at 6am I saw chairs saved, it was about 7:30 when I left gym.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm also not a "sleep till noon" person. This is my average sea day

7:30am - Wake up

8:00am - Go to gym

9:00am - Eat breakfast

10:00am-noon - Walk around trying to find an empty chair because because half have people in them and half have stuff that somebody put out at 6am and went back to bed.

Also, not wanting to go to the lido deck first thing in the morning shouldn't mean you can't get a seat all day. Most chair hogging people are only actually out there for a few hours.

Wow. This thread saddens and worries me. Our very first cruise is scheduled for May and I have been researching CC to make sure we are prepared and aren't naïve going into our first experience. Have to say it shocks me that people even attempt to chair hog (and by that I mean leaving articles, not their person) for hours before they ever plan to get there and that if we want pool chairs after actually eating together as a family for breakfast in the dining areas our chances of that are non-existent :(.

I'm at least I am thankful now that I know to:

1. Bring the larger white towels instead. Heaven forbid we lose five $22 blue towels....

2. Find our spots super early. So much for sleeping in on vacation.

3. Basically never leave our chairs unattended.

Eh.. I wouldn't be sad or worry too much. In our cruises there was only one day where we couldn't get lounge chairs and it was a day we slept in and got on deck around 11:00 am or noon. Most of the chairs had people in them though, only a few had the token flip flop. There were also a bunch of lounge chairs stacked up and roped off on one of the decks for some reason. I suppose I could have asked an employee to get two for us. We were eventually able to find chairs about half an hour later of looking... Just adjust your expectations and you will be fine. Keep in mind that cruise ships are crowded. You may not be able to get a large group all together, if you sleep in you will have to work harder to find a chair, there are only so many prime spots so don't expect one, and it is advisable to have one person watch your chair if you have to go to the restroom, get a drink, etc. Most importantly don't let the threat of not getting a chair ruin your time. There have been times I said screw it I am sleeping in and enjoying a nice breakfast and have still been able to get some chairs by the pool (without having to toss other people's stuff)! :cool:

Eh.. I wouldn't be sad or worry too much. In our cruises there was only one day where we couldn't get lounge chairs and it was a day we slept in and got on deck around 11:00 am or noon. Most of the chairs had people in them though, only a few had the token flip flop. There were also a bunch of lounge chairs stacked up and roped off on one of the decks for some reason. I suppose I could have asked an employee to get two for us. We were eventually able to find chairs about half an hour later of looking... Just adjust your expectations and you will be fine. Keep in mind that cruise ships are crowded. You may not be able to get a large group all together, if you sleep in you will have to work harder to find a chair, there are only so many prime spots so don't expect one, and it is advisable to have one person watch your chair if you have to go to the restroom, get a drink, etc. Most importantly don't let the threat of not getting a chair ruin your time. There have been times I said screw it I am sleeping in and enjoying a nice breakfast and have still been able to get some chairs by the pool (without having to toss other people's stuff)! :cool:

Santaa ~ this is a cute post! My 10 year old especially would love to see this! Does the crew eventually take them away or can you keep them as chair mascots through the day?

The Conquest did this on our last day at sea and yes you could take them back to your room if you like.

You do know you just responded to a statement written back in 2015? That person is long gone (probably on a cruise) and the hog problem is still with us.

I understand.. but it is still a legitimate question, as I will never take anything more than a towel to the pool. Also, I will NOT lose my chair because I decide to swim, or go to the bar to get a soda..

• 10 months later...
If the pool attendants won't enforce the rules WE must all go to GS and remove tips for the days this happens. I understand it hurts others onboard but eventually they will get the message.

I can only assume you are joking.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Been on many many cruises and not once have I ever observed this alleged phenomenon .

It is real. At prime times of the day, and, if you want a lounger on the pool deck.

Have you only done cool weather cruises going to cool destinations?

How does it work if I can't find a chair by the pool while my kids are swimming or using Water Works? My kids are 16, 13, and turning 11 on the cruise....are they able to swim without adult supervision?

They will be allowed to swim with no adult, ... if you are comfortable with that.

How does it work if I can't find a chair by the pool while my kids are swimming or using Water Works? My kids are 16, 13, and turning 11 on the cruise....are they able to swim without adult supervision?

At those ages it would be fine but when my DD was younger, if I couldn't find a lounger right by the pool, I just sat at the edge of the pool with my feet in the water.

I have noticed several postings about how the pool deck chairs are now being decorated with towel animals first thing in the morning. Do you think this might be an attempt on the part of Carnival to help alleviate the chair hog situation? That perhaps folks won't be so quick to hog up chairs, because they already have towels on them?

Just curious,

KC

That is not the case.

Been on many many cruises and not once have I ever observed this alleged phenomenon .

The level of chair hogging can vary a lot from cruise to cruise. I used to think it was blown out of proportion. And then I took a Christmas cruise with many large groups traveling together. It took just a few of these groups to claim all the chairs on the pool deck at 7 a.m. The early riser of the group would come out with an armful of items to cover an entire row of chairs. They might sit and guard their spots, or they might go back to their cabin. A woman had the nerve to tell me that "These nine (empty) chairs are mine," when I wanted to sit in a patch of early morning sun for a few minutes.

Unfortunately, when people saw this happening, they started claiming their own loungers all over Lido and Serenity, so the problem grew. People made beds on Serenity with blankets and left them all day. Others claimed seats in the sun and the shade. Over one hundred empty claimed chairs on Lido before 8 a.m. on a PORT day, and I lost count on a sea day. Watching an elderly man with a cane unable to find a spot to sit when there were no actual people around. Staff said they wouldn't put out stickers until later in the day, when there were no spots on the upper level. So, I removed all the towels from one row and put them in a pile on one chair.

We were lucky on our Freedom cruise last month. 1) There weren't that many chair hogs, but they were very, very obvious to spot. A book, towel, sunglasses, one sandal, 2nd sandal, and hat were spread out, each on their own chair. We were always able to find a suitable amount of chairs without much wait. 2) We had a VERY attentive lido staff who were consistently enforcing the rules. They were telling parents that their non-potty trained kids needed to get out of the pool. They would pull kids aside that were running around the pool and diving in and ask them to stop since it was dangerous. And they approached people who were obviously hogging chairs and asked them to remove the items from the chairs.

I've posted this for years:

The solution to "chair hogging" is to move the crap people piled on a chair. (you can ALWAYS tell who's actually using the chairs and who's "saving" them) It doesn't mean that much to them or they wouldn't leave it lying around. Second to that, my kids are in the pool and I'm going to watch them. I've never had anyone say a single word to me "if" they ever even came back. If they ever do, I'll stand up and start waving and screaming at the nearest Carnival employee that someone is harassing me and I need security!!

ps...thanks to that one person who left the orange. It was tasty! The one flip flop in one lounger, the other flip flop in the next lounger, the towel in the next one and the magazine in the next one was kind of lame, though.

[emoji1] tasty orange

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app