Chair hog solution?

KCMiller

I would like to know what Moms do when needing to watch their kids in the pool? My last cruise I hardly needed a chair because I prefer to sit on the edge of the pool to be closer to my kids. However I was very frustrated with not having a place to put our towels, shoes and clothing.

Once again it seems like you understand what's going on. So make an effort to get up like everyone else and get a chair. On some extremely busy cruises I've slept in the chair I want over night. You'll make fun of me but you're the one without the chair.

On my next cruise I'm going to sleep in one of those clam shells on serenity the whole dang week. Chair hogs eat your ever loving little heart out. :D

Beds near the pool should be for families with kids only!

Hey if you are not disabled, you can lay somewhere else and walk to the pool to cool off!

Am I getting a discount on my cruise? No? Then I'll use whichever chair I like.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Am I getting a discount on my cruise? No? Then I'll use whichever chair I like.

I once read, on here, that someone was upset at the sight of only one person lying in a clam shell.

I travel solo these days. I pay full fare. I too will use whichever chair I like.

Must be wonderful for them to 'think' they are special.

I once read, on here, that someone was upset at the sight of only one person lying in a clam shell.

I travel solo these days. I pay full fare. I too will use whichever chair I like.

Must be wonderful for them to 'think' they are special.

Yup, should they also not have to wait in line at the buffet?

Speaking of buffet lines, Is it OK to jump/cut in the line if there is a long break in that line (i.e. 5 person gap) to quickly scoop and move? There are so many unspoken rules and I don't want to break any :p

I have had the occasion to just need 1 item from the buffet line. I will usually just ask the person that is nearest the item if they mind if I just grab it. "Excuse me can I just grab a roll?" I have never been turned down. Most times the reason is it's something I forgot to grab and I already have a plate with food on it, so they know I've already waited in line.

I have had the occasion to just need 1 item from the buffet line. I will usually just ask the person that is nearest the item if they mind if I just grab it. "Excuse me can I just grab a roll?" I have never been turned down. Most times the reason is it's something I forgot to grab and I already have a plate with food on it, so they know I've already waited in line.

I see nothing wrong with doing that. If there is someone close, in line, I would ask.

I usually do that, and I just ask. Most ppl are nice. :)

Little story. Embarkation day. Grandeur. Windjammer.

I'm in line. It's pretty crowded, as you can imagine. I feel someone very close. They are behind me, but not in line. I turn to see an elderly man with no hotdog on his bun. I assumed (don't do that) that the dogs weren't out when he came through the line.

I ask him, "Need a hotdog"? He nods. He grabs a dog and stays in the line. I'm getting looks from others in line. I say, sir there is a line.

He says he is old, doesn't have to go to the end of the line. The whole ship was full of "old" people. He also says get used to it, as "I will be here for the next # of days".

Ordinarily, I would shrugged it off and left him have his way, but this "old fart", yes I called him that, was an arrogant SOB.

I went around him, but what a welcome to the ship. Bet he was a real sweetheart to others on the ship as well.

I still let others in to grab something, but I will always remember the "old" guy.

Little story. Embarkation day. Grandeur. Windjammer.

I'm in line. It's pretty crowded, as you can imagine. I feel someone very close. They are behind me, but not in line. I turn to see an elderly man with no hotdog on his bun. I assumed (don't do that) that the dogs weren't out when he came through the line.

I ask him, "Need a hotdog"? He nods. He grabs a dog and stays in the line. I'm getting looks from others in line. I say, sir there is a line.

He says he is old, doesn't have to go to the end of the line. The whole ship was full of "old" people. He also says get used to it, as "I will be here for the next # of days".

Ordinarily, I would shrugged it off and left him have his way, but this "old fart", yes I called him that, was an arrogant SOB.

I went around him, but what a welcome to the ship. Bet he was a real sweetheart to others on the ship as well.

I still let others in to grab something, but I will always remember the "old" guy.

Lol, I'm the person that really would forget the hot dog! Usually it's the silverware or dressing or other add-on that I walk off without.

Lol, I'm the person that really would forget the hot dog! Usually it's the silverware or dressing or other add-on that I walk off without.

That's the good thing about NCL...They have the silverware wrapped up and on the table in the condiment rack.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Here is a solution:

On day 1 at 3pm, Diamonds get first pick and get to hang a name tag on the chair of their choice and then Platinum's choose and then Gold and Red and Blue get chairs without name tags. If you don't want a chair, don't show up.

It is not so far fetched as it seems. We cruised the Oceanic (Home Lines) in 1981. We had to visit the deck steward after embarkation to get our assigned deck chairs for the cruise. They all had small brass number plates on the arm. The deck steward had a map, similar to what the Maitre'D has and we were able to select chairs in the sun or the shade. Our travel agent explained the procedure to us so we went to see the deck steward as soon as we boarded and got the deck chairs we wanted. Those who didn't know the procedure got what was left.

It was nice because we got to know those in the surrounding deck chairs the same way you get to know the people at your dining table. And, best of all your chair was always there for you and you could come and go without worrying about losing your spot.

It is not so far fetched as it seems. We cruised the Oceanic (Home Lines) in 1981. We had to visit the deck steward after embarkation to get our assigned deck chairs for the cruise. They all had small brass number plates on the arm. The deck steward had a map, similar to what the Maitre'D has and we were able to select chairs in the sun or the shade. Our travel agent explained the procedure to us so we went to see the deck steward as soon as we boarded and got the deck chairs we wanted. Those who didn't know the procedure got what was left.

It was nice because we got to know those in the surrounding deck chairs the same way you get to know the people at your dining table. And, best of all your chair was always there for you and you could come and go without worrying about losing your spot.

I also sailed on the Oceanic, then the Doric, then the Atlantic, all in the early 80's. I liked that even though I think we had to pay $5 for the week to use the chairs. I knew that whenever I went out on the deck, my chair was available. If that were done today, it would solve the problem but would cause such a riot.

A riot indeed! Especially since ships now have far more passengers than deck chairs. I would join the riot if I had no chair but there were empty chairs just sitting around. That would just be a different kind of chair hogging.

A riot indeed! Especially since ships now have far more passengers than deck chairs. I would join the riot if I had no chair but there were empty chairs just sitting around. That would just be a different kind of chair hogging.

Easy solution...sit in the chair until it's owner shows up. The whole problem, as I see it, is that people want chairs for hours and hours to bask in the sun and get burned to a crisp.

What is needed is a chair that starts timing when you sit in it and ejects you once you've been there for more than a couple of hours...

Easy solution...sit in the chair until it's owner shows up. The whole problem, as I see it, is that people want chairs for hours and hours to bask in the sun and get burned to a crisp.

What is needed is a chair that starts timing when you sit in it and ejects you once you've been there for more than a couple of hours...

The only problem is that actually using the chair to sit in is not chair hogging. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
I have never had a problem getting a chair. The only ones that seem to be taken early are the ones next to the pool. There are plenty of chairs away from the pool area or on the next deck up.

I was wondering about this. Say the deck above the lido with the pool. Are chairs still open later in the am like 10:30

I've never seen any animals on the lounge chairs.

I've also never seen any effort by any crew member to enforce the time limit of saved chairs. I totally get that it can be difficult to police and that it's not a perfect system. I'd just be happy if I saw a little effort.

I don't like being in the main midship pool area, so I used to frequent the adult only hot tub/pool area on the Conquest class ships. I would get a lounger on the non smoking side of deck 10, the level just above the pool. At peak hours, sometimes I had to go up another level to find empties. A few cruises I just took a lounger off an unbuckled stack and placed it where I felt comfortable. Now that the aft pools allow kids, I may stay on my balcony longer. With all this, the chair hogs at the midship pool don't bother me in the least.

anybody have any idea how many chairs there actually are on a given ship. I know its dependent on capacity but.... any guesses?

No idea. It wouldn't matter if there were a lounger for everyone (which I'm betting there isn't), it's where the lounger is that can make it coveted by some.

I don't have problems finding a lounger in the areas that I prefer. The further from the main pool areas the better.