What are your thoughts on prepay ing DSC before it goes up

Solararc

Will it not short those who will now benefit from the small increase such as butlers and concierge?

Several CC members have talked to NCL and been informed that butlers and concierges will NOT be a part of the pool, despite the misleading wording in the annoucement.

Several CC members have talked to NCL and been informed that butlers and concierges will NOT be a part of the pool, despite the misleading wording in the annoucement.

That is what I have been told as well. $2.75 a day for the butler and concierge to devide makes no sense. They will all quit.

That said I prepaid the service charges for all the cruises I have booked. I will put the savings toward part of the cash tips I always spread around.

We have prepaid, but may be re-booking next week when the March promotion with complimentary service charges for passengers 1 & 2 as one of the choices goes into effect. If our cruise fare and 3rd/4th passenger rate don't also go up, re-booking our 14-day cruise (in a suite) will save us $250.

Anyone who thinks that prepaying the service charge is unethical should also take issue with NCL comping the service charge for passengers 1 & 2 in March. After all, we have no way of knowing whether or not NCL will actually pay the service charge for us.

Edited by Pikaia

We have prepaid, but may be re-booking next week when the March promotion with complimentary service charges for passengers 1 & 2 as one of the choices goes into effect. If our cruise fare and 3rd/4th passenger rate don't also go up, re-booking our 14-day cruise (in a suite) will save us $250.

Anyone who thinks that prepaying the service charge is unethical should also take issue with NCL comping the service charge for passengers 1 & 2 in March. After all, we have no way of knowing whether or not NCL will actually pay the service charge for us.

Isn't comping the service charge the same as including it in the fare ????

Isn't comping the service charge the same as including it in the fare ????

It might be, but we don't know, because there's no transparency.

It is possible that NCL will take some of the money collected as fares and contribute it to the pool of service charge money. It's also possible that they won't. If the past is any guide, we won't be informed either way.

I choose not to prepay the DSC. Not because I can't afford to part with the $168 for 2 months, but because I can afford the $13 that hopefully is going to very hard working, deserving people.

Everyone should do what is right for them. No right or wrong answer.

as long as you booked before March 1st all you have to do is prepay before you get on the ship to pay the "old" price. I have confirmed three times with NCL that.

Example. If you booked before March 1st a cruise for October and prepay the DSC on September 30th then you pay the $12 pp per day and not the new price. But if you do not prepay before boarding on the ship you will be charged the new rates. As I said I personally have confirmed this with NCL and so has my sister in law. If you book after March 1st then no matter what you pay the new rate.

So people are making a big deal out of nothing.

as long as you booked before March 1st all you have to do is prepay before you get on the ship to pay the "old" price. I have confirmed three times with NCL that.

Example. If you booked before March 1st a cruise for October and prepay the DSC on September 30th then you pay the $12 pp per day and not the new price. But if you do not prepay before boarding on the ship you will be charged the new rates. As I said I personally have confirmed this with NCL and so has my sister in law. If you book after March 1st then no matter what you pay the new rate.

Are you sure, just booked another sailing today and the the confirmation letter has the new DSC rates so it has begun early

It might be, but we don't know, because there's no transparency.

It is possible that NCL will take some of the money collected as fares and contribute it to the pool of service charge money. It's also possible that they won't. If the past is any guide, we won't be informed either way.

What is the point of informing the guest over such a matter when the guest has no need to know? :confused:

Outside of saving a few dollars, is it right to prepay these? Will it not short those who will now benefit from the small increase such as butlers and concierge?

I do not think the butler and concierge are part of the poll in the first place, but even if they were I doubt they look at it that way. We just paid up front, not only to save a very few bucks, but it was convenient and is nice to know we will not have that to worry about at the end of the cruise.

Actually, its as long as paid the old DSC rates before March 1st, not if you booked before. I have a trip in Dec that I put a deposit down last year and won't be able to pay the DSC til March / April; and $12 is blocked out. Also the news announcement made it pretty clear if you prepaid it and trip is after the date, you're locked in at the old rate:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6188

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/02/20/norwegian-cruise-service-charge/23729781/

There's plenty of other news sites that saying pretty much the same thing.