Questions about Diamond benefits (related to kids)

LMaxwell

Our son will inherit our Diamond status after his first cruise. After that cruise if we want to take our in-laws (Platinum members) on a cruise, would be able to book our son in their room in order to get the Diamond balcony discount?

Since our son is a minor what are the C&A Diamond benefits available to him?

Internet time? yes / no

Lounge access (non-cocktail hours)? yes / no

3 (soft) drinks loaded to seapass daily? yes / no

Free photo from gallery? yes / no

I've not found any definitive documentation of on what the D benefits are for minors.

What happens when he turns 18 and has our status but obviously not our sailing nights? Is the status reverted to wherever his actual sailed nights were at?

I can try to answer some of the questions as I have kids that are diamonds. They will not get the room discount. they will not get the free pictures nor will they get the drinks loaded on their cards. All those are for adults. They do get a discount from Ben and Jerrys and discount on the arcades.

I'd rather go with Bob's answer on the room discount. That's the biggie here AFAIC

Last time we did it was around 7-8 years ago, so hopefully the policy has not changed.

Edited by clarea

Hay lets flaunt the rules and use a child to get someone to D status without doing the required number of nights at sea. Lets all remember a post that has been deleted and remember what we said. Gets the rewards by earning the status. Sorry the child is yours and should be in your cabin not the LI to get them to D status or gain a discount.

Hay lets flaunt the rules and use a child to get someone to D status without doing the required number of nights at sea. Lets all remember a post that has been deleted and remember what we said. Gets the rewards by earning the status. Sorry the child is yours and should be in your cabin not the LI to get them to D status or gain a discount.

Many of the children who are Diamond have earned that level by sailing and have not inherited it.

What are you talking about? :confused:

I'm not trying to get my in-laws to a higher status or additional perks, I just wanted to get the balcony discount.

I could be on a reservation with FIL and my wife be on reservation with her mother and its the same exact thing, then we just switch keycards at guest services like gets asked about on here daily

Edited by LMaxwell

Many of the children who are Diamond have earned that level by sailing and have not inherited it.

I wholly agree many children have gain D status on the own by sailing the nights required but the OP has clearly state that after the child's first cruise it will be D and the intend to book at stateroom with the child in it to gain a discount and then gain the IL D status.

Edited by BARNET

I wholly agree many children have gain D status on the own by sailing the nights required that but the OP state that after the child first cruise it will be D and the intend to book at stateroom with the child in it to gain a discount and then gain the IL D status.

You need to re-read:rolleyes: And since I referred to my sonin the first post please don't call him an "it"

Royal is the one that is going to make the child Diamond after his first cruise. That is why I asked what happens when he turns 18, does he revert back to the status based on the number of nights he has at that time?

Do I want the balcony discount for my in-laws? Yes

Am I trying to get them D status or Diamond benefits? No

Will my child have earned D status based on his number of nights onboard before turning 18? Quite likely yes. We will have to wait for that day to come.

Edited by LMaxwell

Bobs way is the correct way. Our kids get the Diamond balcony discount and they are booked in their own room.

There are no other benefits except for the standard kids coupons that are the same for all levels gold and up.

Just curious as to the last time you booked your child this way. Bob ws 7+ years ago.

We have custody of our grandkids. We sail frequently. They are D+. Now that they are older we book connecting balcony cabins. I can assure you they receive the balcony discount. Next trip is a B2B in May and there is a $250 balcony listed on the invoice for their cabin each week.

Edited by looking4info

We have custody of our grandkids. We sail frequently. They are D+. Now that they are older we book connecting balcony cabins. I can assure you they receive the balcony discount. Next trip is a B2B in May and there is a $250 balcony listed on the invoice for their cabin each week.

Thanks for the up to date information

So, the deal with cocktail hours varies by ship and concierge btw. 50% of our diamond cruises we have been welcomed in as a family but it's not official policy. Lounge access any other time is fine on all ships, as is access to things like diamond breakfast area if applicable.

Also my son has had soft drinks free when we have had one of our seapass free drinks.

The Ben and jerrys is a BOGOFF deal on an ice cream bar, all in all the perks are not inspiring for junior cruisers.

The balcony discount IS a perk!

The balcony discount is just what it says, a discount. It is an inducement to book a higher category cabin and a net gain to the company. A perk is something given out, such as the evening drinks, free coffees, free photos, etc. In this case I really am only concerned with the right way to book to maximize the discount.

I don't know about the room discount, but our daughter received all of the other benefits on each cruise. The last time we sailed with her as a minor was 2 years ago.

When she was a minor still 2 years ago and you say "all the other benefits" not sure what that means as it seems there are kids perks and adult perks. Do you remember any specifically? Thanks

What happens when he turns 18 and has our status but obviously not our sailing nights? Is the status reverted to wherever his actual sailed nights were at?

I called Crown & Anchor about that a few weeks back. I was told that upon turning 18, the (former) child would retain the status level, but points would revert to their own earned points. So, it would be possible to have an 18 year old with 21 points and be considered "Diamond".

However, to reach "Diamond Plus", they would need to earn the additional 154 points to achieve that level on their own.