Diamond plus, upgrade question

We are Diamond plus, we cruise the Freedom quite often. We have done all types of cabins. If we were to book a inside guarantee what are chances of getting a upgrade or a half way decent cabin.

Please let me know if anyone has done this.

Thanks.

We are Diamond plus, we cruise the Freedom quite often. We have done all types of cabins. If we were to book a inside guarantee what are chances of getting a upgrade or a half way decent cabin.

Thanks.

I have no idea how to quantify the probablity of getting an upgrade.

We booked an inside guarantee once and got an OV.

Thanks.

Upgrades these days are few and far between. We are also D+ and have been for several years. It seems like we used to get a few upgrades in the old days but can honestly tell you we haven't had one in at least 5 yrs. I would just book the cabin you want.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Guess not so worried about an upgrade but did you get put on deck 2. We don't mind a inside cabin but prefer to be up on a higher deck then 2 or 3.

We got put on deck 2.

Guess not so worried about an upgrade but did you get put on deck 2. We don't mind a inside cabin but prefer to be up on a higher deck then 2 or 3.

We got put on deck 2.

D+ also and have never had an upgrade.

Just turned PC and only had 1 upgrade ever!!!!:rolleyes: It was when we were high D+.

Edited by CVU

I did an inside guarantee on either Monarch or Majesty. (Can't remember which one). I was assigned probably the worst cabin on the ship - all the way forward on Deck 2.

FORTUNATELY there was a price drop and I upgraded myself.

The official Royal Caribbean "line" is that C&A status has nothing to do with the assignment of guarantee cabins.

Thanks.

We have a guarantee cabin booked right now and feel our upgrades options are slim even though we are Pinnacle and this is why:

On all guarantee cabins the original assignment comes from a computer program. It does not take into consideration your C&A status at all.

Upgrades, whether it be "upsells" or "free" upgrades comes from a human. Usually it is Revenue that begins the upgrade process approximately 2 weeks before boarding. If you have your GTY cabin assignment before this, that is when you will have the chance of an upgrade. Revenue tend not to look at loyality status but what was paid for the original cabin or when it was booked. When they are done with their shuffling around and have some cabins left over they will pass it over to C&A to assign to loyalty cruisers.

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

I have been upgraded several times on several cruise lines except celebrity. Was upgraded from an inside to an obstructed balcony 2 years ago on a med cruise as emerald. Am Diamond now. Just the luck of the draw and the capacity I guess.

A customer service rep at RCI told me that to upgrade at the pier you need to ask for the pier coordinator and they can sell you available cabins. The guest relations team on the ship can also sell cabins but will be more expensive. Not sure how true this is.

Thanks.

I am confident that, should you book an inside guarantee cabin, they will upgrade a D+ to the Owners Suites. :D

A customer service rep at RCI told me that to upgrade at the pier you need to ask for the pier coordinator and they can sell you available cabins. The guest relations team on the ship can also sell cabins but will be more expensive. Not sure how true this is.

This is true, however every time I've asked the pier coordinator about upgrades, none have been available. Years ago I think this was more common, but I suspect it's highly unlikely now.

I was very surprised last year when we were upgraded from a Junior Suite to a Grand Suite on our Allure cruise...about a two weeks before sailing. It was our first upgrade from RCI ever.

I was especially shocked in light of the fact that this was a "free" Visa points cruise - booked just before that perk was taken away from the Oasis/Allure sailings. I just used our 125,000 points and upgraded to a JS and then we were again upgraded to the GS. Loved that gold card!

I am surprised at all the D+ who have never been upgraded...does not bode well for another one for us.

D + here -- well on my way to PC and have never been upgraded. With all of the others that have said the same, I agree that you should only book a cabin that you want, since the probability of upgrades is close to non-existent.

If you book a guarantee you are not eligible for the C&A upgrade. If you get an upgrade it be from revenue. It won't matter how many points you have.

We have 339 points and have never been upgraded.

Edited by rt1092

I agree with the others. Yours odds of a C&A upgrade are not very good. They were never common and now maybe less so as upsells are being offered.

Your C&A status is not taken into account when gty cabins are assigned. Your chances of getting deck 2 or deck 9 or whatever are the same as a newbie with an inside gty booking.

If you book a guarantee you are not eligible for the C&A upgrade. If you get an upgrade it be from revenue. It won't matter how many points you have.

We have 339 points and have never been upgraded.

We have less than that and have been upgraded twice. One of the times we had a guarantee suite and on the last week they called us and asked us if we wanted to move from a Jr. Suite to a Grand Suite. Guess what we said?[emoji3]