Nassau - No thanks

RobinKY

Our last cruise was very low key - no excursions. We did walk around a couple ports, including Nassau, just to take in local vibe and shopping.

Once off the ship in Nassau we were absolutely bombarded by locals pushing excursions, cab rides, tours, you name it. Every 20 feet we were approached. I do have two young kids so I get a little nervous about these things. Walking on the main street a man started walking beside me and my pre-teen daughter and gave me a funny look. That made me nervous.

Also walking down the main street a lady stopped us and welcomed us by putting yarn bracelets on each of our wrists and said it was a gift but asked for a donation for "handicapped" children. Well by the time she has them on your wrists, you feel obligated to give her something. She asked for $10 each. I gave her $10 for all 4.

We went to the straw market and it was vendor booths one on top of another selling the same trinkets. Bought a few things. I bought a leather necklace and got a rash from it. My wife tried it later and also got a rash.

I will stay on the boat next time.

We've been 4 times, and had fun! Two days at Atlantis, a day at the Hilton, and a day at melia. We had two cab drivers almost bread out in a fist fight over us - lol. My kids can even deal - they know how to say "no thank you" while walking (been to NYC and Philadelphia many times, and don't even get me started about Jersey shore Boardwalk vendors). It's s life skill!

You will get this in A LOT of ports. A lot of these places depend on the cruise ships to come in to make a living. Yes you will repeat yourself over and over "no", but it will not stop them.

Just a few suggestions "if" you decide to go back and "if" you decide to adventure out again.

Try doing a ship excursion to Blue Lagoon. They take you directly from the boat dock (without having to go outside the gate to all of the vendors) and straight over to the island. It's very beautiful over there and it includes lunch. They also have dolphin swims and other things to do over there as well. It makes for a nice no-hassle day and definitely not expensive like Atlantis. I have a complete review with tons of pictures in my signature line if you want to check it out. Just another option in case you ever go back and change your mind. :)

Been to Nassau twice, heading back for the third soon.

First trip: ship excursion that traveled the island on a bus, stopped at a beach for some sun, a stop or two at a local place (long time ago, don't remember exactly where) then back to the boat. All good.

Second trip: had 2 young kids this time. No excursions excited us, so left them in kids club and decided to get off and walkabout a bit. Got thru shops with ease, then was bombarded every 5 steps by someone wanting to braid my long straight hair. It was crazy. Hubby got offered drugs twice. After 15 minutes of it, we turned around and headed back to the building with the shops & safety. Had a cup of local coffee in there, then back to the boat & collected the kids.

Third upcoming trip: Probably not even bothering to leave the boat. Excursions offered by ship are either Atlantis or 2 snorkeling. Not interested in either; so we will enjoy the NorthStar over & over, and hopefully a quiet pool for the day.

I read about a beach in walking distance; Junkanoo. Any opinions on that? I still have long straight hair - will be in braid already before I leave the ship, in hopes to deter the ladies this time. May be only reason we leave the boat.

You make this sound as if this is just relevant to Nassau, believe me it is NOT. We have been over a good part of the world and this same thing is relevant all over. In Paris, we were hounded constantly by many of the main attractions, in Italy, the same thing. Mexico makes Nassau look like you are by yourself. Panama, South America same old, same old. All over the Caribbean. Where ever there are tourists, and rich Americans, you will find these things.

Sorry if you haven't learned how to just say 'No Thank You' to them and just keep walking. These people have been doing this for years and they know when one is not interested and won't buy anything. Just keep your answers polite, but firm, NO THANK YOU, and walk away. You are foolish to let this spoil your enjoyment of these ports, and won't even get off the ship to enjoy them.

You don't even have to do a ship's excursion. When you get off, there are many taxi's waiting. Just grab one, tell him where you want to go, and you are off. Go to the zoo, the kids will love it there and there are no people like you described there. Grab a cab and go to Atlantis, where ever. Just so many other options.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

You make this sound as if this is just relevant to Nassau, believe me it is NOT. We have been over a good part of the world and this same thing is relevant all over. In Paris, we were hounded constantly by many of the main attractions, in Italy, the same thing. Mexico makes Nassau look like you are by yourself. Panama, South America same old, same old. All over the Caribbean. Where ever there are tourists, and rich Americans, you will find these things.

Sorry if you haven't learned how to just say 'No Thank You' to them and just keep walking. These people have been doing this for years and they know when one is not interested and won't buy anything. Just keep your answers polite, but firm, NO THANK YOU, and walk away. You are foolish to let this spoil your enjoyment of these ports, and won't even get off the ship to enjoy them.

You don't even have to do a ship's excursion. When you get off, there are many taxi's waiting. Just grab one, tell him where you want to go, and you are off. Go to the zoo, the kids will love it there and there are no people like you described there. Grab a cab and go to Atlantis, where ever. Just so many other options.

Cheers

Len

We've been to pretty much ever island in the Caribbean that a cruise ship goes to, Mexico a few times, and Belize, Honduras, all the way down to Aruba, Bonaire, & Curacao by South America. Jamaica is by far the worst island we have been to when it comes to locals; will never go back. We were actually scared for our safety while on a ship bus excursion. And that was when we were in our mid 20s; not old & cranky. In Belize, where there were armed military everywhere and we were supposed to be nervous, we were no where are uncomfortable as we were in Jamaica.

Nassau was the 2nd island that we said "uhhh...no" to. At least there we were not afraid. Just constantly annoyed. I had women who were dressed to go to work following me down the street wanting to braid my hair. No matter how many times we said NO firmly and calmly, they did not hear us. My husband at one point yelled to stop following us we were so annoyed. We couldn't get one block before the next one would come.

I have been to plenty of islands where the locals were warm & welcoming. Nassau was not one of them. Why would I give you my tourist $$? I'll save them for the next island.

Just have to get used to it...say NO, look away...keep walking.....once you get about 3-4 minutes out of the terminal area, its not as bad at all.

This is the norm based on my experiences in different ports, Caribbean countries and when a tourist in general. Some places maybe worse than others.

But Nassau is actually one of my fav places to go out of all of them...don't let it deter you again from enjoying Nassau!

Nassau and Jamaica are the absolute worst for being harassed. Inn Ocho Rios my daughter and I were surrounding by several hair braiders arguing over who was going to get to braid my 8 year old daughter's hair. Even though I said "NO, loudly and often they kept walking with us. They were touching my daughter's hair. She finally burst into tears and begged me to take her back to ten ship.

In Nassau my husband and I decided to take a horse drawn carriage ride of the old town After a 20 minute tour which was supposed to be a 30 minute tour our horse and carriage pulled back into the end of the line at the curb where carriages waiting for customers. the driver jumped down and strolled away. My husband got out and turned to take my hand to help me out. I had one foot on the outer step and one foot inside the carriage. as I was reaching for his hand the horse moved forward to fill in a empty space in the line. I fell out of the carriage and landed on my hands and knees in the filthy street. My hands and knees were scraped, cut and covered in muck.

I returned to the ship where The clinic cleaned out my cuts, put on anti-biotic and gave me a tetanus shot as protection against infection.

I will never get off the ship in Nassau or Jamaica again.

Heading back to Nassau in a couple weeks, going on two short cruises and am very much looking forward to it, I think I have been 8 or 9 times since 2007, and as someone else said... NO THANK YOU works. My husband had long hair almost to his waist when we were there on our last trip and he was asked about getting his hair braided... no was the response, and loud enough that he wasn't asked again. I wear my hair tucked in a ball cap when we get off the ship so no one asks me.

• 3 weeks later...

Been to Nassau four times so far never had this problem. Braiders have one area they stay in; so for them to be around you means you went to them. I had one little kid approach outside of Atlantis not different from when I'm at the grocery store at home and one is trying to sell me some candy. Your in in straw market which is the equivalent of a Flea market if you expecting to get something good then you that's on you. You apply the same principals when you go to another country just as you would if you went to another state. Buyer beware. You don't have to go back,but don't make the country look like it there fault because you expecting something different.

Our last cruise was very low key - no excursions. We did walk around a couple ports, including Nassau, just to take in local vibe and shopping.

Once off the ship in Nassau we were absolutely bombarded by locals pushing excursions, cab rides, tours, you name it. Every 20 feet we were approached. I do have two young kids so I get a little nervous about these things. Walking on the main street a man started walking beside me and my pre-teen daughter and gave me a funny look. That made me nervous.

Also walking down the main street a lady stopped us and welcomed us by putting yarn bracelets on each of our wrists and said it was a gift but asked for a donation for "handicapped" children. Well by the time she has them on your wrists, you feel obligated to give her something. She asked for $10 each. I gave her $10 for all 4.

We went to the straw market and it was vendor booths one on top of another selling the same trinkets. Bought a few things. I bought a leather necklace and got a rash from it. My wife tried it later and also got a rash.

Lol. You think Nassau is bad then you need to come to DC where you have homeless people blocking your path in every block begging for money. I'd rather be in Nassau doing shopping and taking a dip in the emerald green water then being in DC any day.

• 2 weeks later...

Problems with Jersey Shore Boardwalk vendors? Where? Been to many and never have an issue. They just work their stands and you can just walk by. Homeless bothering you in DC and blocking streets? Where? What areas are you walking in? Never had this issue anywhere near the common spots that folks visit. As far as Nassau. Been there four times. You always get pestered by the terminal and the "shopping" areas. Just walk through with an occasional no thank you. In walking the main streets in several block radius of the port we have never been bothered. (Family of four currently with mid - to older teens). If you venture further out you're going to get some folks attention for hair braiding etc. Just walk on by with a nice smile. Or better yet read the boards and find places to go where these activities occur less. The first trip we ever took to Nassau was in the early 90's on a now defunct cruise line. We took their excursion of the area which was basically a tour of the slums with a stop at the Queen's Staircase which was nothing more than people pestering us. So I learned not to go to that area. Every other time has been ok.

Edited by Trailblazers

I just tell them no, straight and to the point. Then I ignore them and move on. I've never had anyone follow me or touch my child. That's crazy! :eek: I'd feel sorry for anyone who attempted that. You don't have to be mean, but you do have to give a pretty definite no.

I had a bad time in Nassau and I was with a friend. This was after our beach excursion, which was 'meh'. I felt so attacked we went right back to the ship.

I am going here again in June, this time with my family. I really don't want to even get off the ship. I told my husband and son about how bad it is there. Not sure if we'll even bother. I was tempted to try the beach there, but seriously do no want to walk past that area.

To those saying "just say no" - I have and I meant it. Doesn't do a thing. I wonder if they listen more to men than women who say no. Hmm...

We had the same thing happen with the pestering and the yarn lady. She at first told us it was free and only after putting it on my wrist and my fathers which she grabbed his hand by force did she mention a donation. She told us it was for the local school for after-school functions and they would take any little amount. We offered her the only cash we had in small bills about 5 dollars? and she said no it wasn't enough. So we told her we didnt have anything else and we did not want to have the bracelets in which she got mad and said we had to give them back. Of course she had knot tied them and I was able to get mine off with the help of my boyfriend but my fathers we couldn't get off since it was too tight. She then tells us if it's damaged we would have to pay for it. My dad tells her to take it off and she grabs his hand again forcefully scratching him in the process as she was trying to take it off.

Junkanoo beach was the same way. Constant people trying to sell their items. I understand that it's how some people make a living but it's too far when you physically come in contact with someone.

Defiantly a lesson learned for us. We now keep our hands in our pockets in Nassau or avoid areas like around senior frogs since they seem to be packed there waiting for tourists.We are going back to nassau in Jan next year and plan on going to The Hilton hotel since it's a private beach.

Edited by Rainbowfalls

We had the same thing happen with the pestering and the yarn lady. She at first told us it was free and only after putting it on my wrist and my fathers which she grabbed his hand by force did she mention a donation. She told us it was for the local school for after-school functions and they would take any little amount. We offered her the only cash we had in small bills about 5 dollars? and she said no it wasn't enough. So we told her we didnt have anything else and we did not want to have the bracelets in which she got mad and said we had to give them back. Of course she had knot tied them and I was able to get mine off with the help of my boyfriend but my fathers we couldn't get off since it was too tight. She then tells us if it's damaged we would have to pay for it. My dad tells her to take it off and she grabs his hand again forcefully scratching him in the process as she was trying to take it off.

Junkanoo beach was the same way. Constant people trying to sell their items. I understand that it's how some people make a living but it's too far when you physically come in contact with someone.

Defiantly a lesson learned for us. We now keep our hands in our pockets in Nassau or avoid areas like around senior frogs since they seem to be packed there waiting for tourists.We are going back to nassau in Jan next year and plan on going to The Hilton hotel since it's a private beach.

That stinks. I understand the locals are poor and are just trying to earn a living but scamming tourist is not good. After this lady got them on our wrists, I felt obligated to give her something but wondered if I just said I am not donating anything. I guess things would have escalated like your situation. Anyway it was $10 for four bracelets and I actually still wear mine.