Would you really leave Carnival if.....

It really made me notice how much Carnival is "cutting back" but yet other cruises can be found for less price and still have the amenities.

LOL....where? Maybe if you pick out specific isolated cruises instead of taking the overall picture into account. Overall on my 7 day last month the cheapest other option was a 50% increase with most being 75% or more, some were a full 100% increase. My two Carnival cruises last year were similarly priced in relation to the competition. I did find a screaming deal on RCCL last winter that I took but it was a large deviation from the normal price even compared to surrounding weeks. It would not be fair for me to take that cruise and say "see RCCL is similarly priced as Carnival".

Edited by ray98

I am certainly open to cruising other brands. I am looking at 2016, Carnival and NCL. Same itinerary but different departure ports (both same driving distance). Ship age similar. Carnival ship gets better reviews. $1200 more for the NCL cruise. REALLY? Is $1200 worth the Bloody Mary at brunch? A free glass of champagne at the Captains party, Chocolates that pile up in my room after the novelty for my kids wears off after day 2. The NCL cruise does have some OBC/tips/included/drink options but NOTHING that adds up to $1200. I still haven't decided which to do. The last time I took a more expensive cruise with the same itinerary, I was choking the whole time at how a similar experience was so overrated and overpriced.

No its still a great value. Will miss the chocolates, I always saved them and took them to eat one every night after cruise, sorta my way of making cruise last longer...kinda silly.

Nope.

Chocolates at night is a complete, COMPLETE non-issue for us.

Totally over the towel animals. Nothing wrong with them but even my kids couldn't care less at this point.

I usually will not wear the robe as I have no clue he last time it was washed.

Cutting out turn down service would be lame, but it wouldn't make me leave Carnival. That said, I have no problem trying other lines but not going to them for any of the stuff you named.

If they cut turn down service does that mean gratuities would be cut too? $3.90/pppd for a 7 day cruise brings the cost down almost $55.

No...in my opinion they are cutting stupid stuff. My biggest expectation is for them to deliver me a vacation cruise experience that is budget friendly for my family. If that means cutting out the chocolates that I am sure are expensive in that quantity just to end up in the trash can then so be it.

Agree.... I have not found any other line to come even close to the price for a summer Caribbean Cruise for a family of 4.

Would you really leave Carnival and choose another cruise line if you don't have chocolates on your pillow, or towel animals, or complimentary robes, or turn down service, or a 'reward' for being a return customer, or any of the other little "services" that have no impact other than they are a nicety?

One thing on its own? Probably not. Collectively? The answer is yes. And many have. That's why the fares are so low, and sometimes even free, cause they can't fill the ships. This downward spiral has been going on the past two years.

And those reduced fares are taking an impact on the service quality and entertainment. And unfortunately, on Carnival, you can't buy up to a better experience, only better accommodations.

Sounds like they my be injecting a class structure on the Vista, creating areas the commoners can not access unless you have purchased a semi premium plan.

Edited by MCFTJCH2V

Nope.

Chocolates at night is a complete, COMPLETE non-issue for us.

Totally over the towel animals. Nothing wrong with them but even my kids couldn't care less at this point.

I usually will not wear the robe as I have no clue he last time it was washed.

Cutting out turn down service would be lame, but it wouldn't make me leave Carnival. That said, I have no problem trying other lines but not going to them for any of the stuff you named.

That's the way I feel too except, I don't care about turn down service in the least - I can certainly pull back my own covers to get into bed, I don't need help.

The steward cleaning my room once a day is more than enough for me, that way I can keep things the way I want until the next day - no more room visits are needed.

If they cut turn down service does that mean gratuities would be cut too? $3.90/pppd for a 7 day cruise brings the cost down almost $55.

Why would gratuities be cut because of no turn down service?

Having your covers pulled back for you is that important?

The room stewards make your bed, clean your room, touch your gross towels, etc. daily.

Would you do that for a stranger for less than $4 a day in tips? I sure wouldn't.

Just curious if these same services are the reason you choose a hotel or motel when traveling? If the price is right I'm just happy to have a warm shower, a clean environment, and a comfy bed.

For me this is the main reason I choose certain hotels. I need more than four walls and a roof when I am picking a hotel. There are a list of amenities that I require when booking a hotel.

All of us have standards. Those standards are different from person to person. Like you said, for your hotel you require a "warm shower, a clean environment, and a comfy bed" For me this is just the tip of the iceberg for what I require in a hotel. Acknowledging this means I will pay more for a hotel stay and I am 100% A-Ok with that. :cool:

Why would gratuities be cut because of no turn down service?

Having your covers pulled back for you is that important?

The room stewards make your bed, clean your room, touch your gross towels, etc. daily.

Would you do that for a stranger for less than $4 a day in tips? I sure wouldn't.

I would certainly cut my tip if the amount of work is decreased.

They have not gotten rid of anything that I feel lessens the cruise experience for me. I like that the price is fair (and lower than other lines) for what I get, and that's the bottom line for me.

So I guess my answer is "no".

honestly, don't I cruise for free chocolates or towel animals, turndown service or robes? No. But, these all lead to my enjoyment on the cruise. I mean honestly I really like the robes and I enjoy using them after showering while doing my hair and makeup, also in the morning while on the balcony. I do really appreciate the turndown service as I come back from dinner or the bar or whatever my evening entailed. It puts me in a relaxed mood. I like being taken care of on vacation, I don't vacation that often and when I do it's those kinds of things that I really enjoy.

I work at a hospital and I work really hard caring for others and honestly if Carnival took all of those thing away I would look elsewhere, because it's important to me to get value from my vacation but it's also important for me to have time to actually feel taken care of for once. I need that. As I assume many people feel like they do also. Many people go on vacations to get away and relax and taking away some of the "relaxing elements" of vacation is going to break it for me.

Edited by kelkel2

I also feel the little things add up. I am so sick and tired of hearing it isn't that much. We hear it all the time in every aspect of life. Like utilities say it is only going to cost the average customer $10 more per month. But then there is electric company, gas company, water and sewer, garbage, phone. Now that is $50 per month. And let's not talk about cable. That always ends up being more than $10 per month. So now it's over $60 per month, just a mere $720 more a year.

Carnival cancelled our Valor cruise out of San Juan that we were supposed to go on in a couple of weeks. At the time they told us they wouldn't help with airline change fees (that was $200pp). We found a cruise on Celebrity that we could do during the time between our flights to and from San Juan. And guess what? We are paying the same price for this cruise as we were paying for the Carnival cruise. So now we will see what Celebrity has to offer. And from everything I hear it seems like it is offering a bit more.

We pretty much already have. Carnival is no longer our "go-to" cruise line, and only choose Carnival when we don't have other options. All the little things add up, and while they really don't make a big difference in our enjoyment of cruising, the (lack of enjoyable) entertainment has. Even though we really don't cruise for the evening entertainment, having good entertainment certainly enhances the cruise.

We have discovered other lines, and for the most part, prices are not that much more than Carnival, so, for now, those other lines will be getting our vacation dollars.

No. I just went to an all inclusive and didn't have chocolates or towel animals and I was fine. And honestly I don't need turn down service in the morning and evening...I would be fine if they just did it once a day. When I go to Vegas I leave the do not disturb sign up the whole 3-4 days I am there unless I need fresh towels or something.

I am not loyal to any particular cruise line; although I do like some better than others. I look at itinerary first and then price. As long is my cabin is clean and the food is okay, I have no complaints. The more I spend though, the more I would expect from all aspects of the cruise.

I like others think things add up over time. My biggest thing would be turn down service and I feel that would be the same for a LOT of families that cruise!

The last thing I would want to do after spending a day doing stuff is go to the room to have to get the sleeping arrangements for my kids ready! Even with hotel stays I end up just doing things like leaving the sofa bed out the whole time, but in a cruise ship room, there just isn't the space to do something like that.

Would chocolates or towel animals matter to me? No not really. But it also makes you wonder what other little things will happen. I wasn't planning on booking another cruise anytime soon, but in all honesty I got our NCL cruise for 4 to Bermuda for less than our Carnival Pride cruise. Which if you look at Bermuda prices say a LOT on how things are changing and how other lines are doing what they can to become competitive with Carnival.

I personally enjoy the laid back, fun atmosphere on Carnival ships. Would I ever consider another line? Maybe. If the price and itinerary were to my liking. But, after two Carnival cruises, they've delivered what I want in a cruise. Fun and relaxation. A free drink, a bottle of water, or a couple pieces of extremely poor quality chocolate (if you can even call it chocolate) make no difference in my decisions.

I personally enjoy the laid back, fun atmosphere on Carnival ships. Would I ever consider another line? Maybe. If the price and itinerary were to my liking. But, after two Carnival cruises, they've delivered what I want in a cruise. Fun and relaxation. A free drink, a bottle of water, or a couple pieces of extremely poor quality chocolate (if you can even call it chocolate) make no difference in my decisions.

I agree with that you. Been on 10 Carnival cruises and the items op mentioned would not factor in one bit.

This is a good question, and I don't have an exact answer for you. It comes down to, at what point does the cruise lose its value to me? No one little silly thing like chocolates or robes is going to do that for me, but a whole lot of them together might eventually water down the experience to the point that I no longer feel like I'm getting a good value for my money. Then I'd have to give it up, yes.

This. Its things like downgrading gold members to red, getting rid of free drinks at the captains party in favor of the farewell party and then getting rid of the farewell party due to lack of interest. Giving all return cruises a free drink coupon instead of the normal past guest party (which was changed as gold and above) and then getting rid of the free drink coupon (or so I have heard). Announcing a list of ships getting 2.0 upgrades and then scaling it back. None of any of these things by themselves are enough to quit Carnival, but they water down the value. I still sometimes cruise carnival when I want a cheap getaway. But when it came down to booking a cruise for my anniversary/birthday, Carnival was not even in the discussion. I looked at Royal, Celebrity and Disney. I did not even browse Carnival. And I am paying more on Disney than probably my last 3 carnival cruises (combined) because of the value that I believe I will get. We will see if it lives up to the expectations.

I am definitely not done with Carnival (still here aren't I), but sometimes they are not even in the discussion anymore. 5 years ago I would not have said that.

Would you really leave Carnival and choose another cruise line if you don't have chocolates on your pillow, or towel animals, or complimentary robes, or turn down service, or a 'reward' for being a return customer, or any of the other little "services" that have no impact other than they are a nicety?

LOL!!! Really??? I'd leave Carnival (or any cruise line) if the ship I was on sank and took me to a watery grave. Otherwise I'll sail the line and itinerary that fits my wallet (to note, I'm sailing NCL again this summer even though they had already gotten rid of the lobster tail on my last NCL cruise.......and I LOVE lobster tail on a cruise).