Would you really leave Carnival if.....

honestly, don't I cruise for free chocolates or towel animals, turndown service or robes? No. But, these all lead to my enjoyment on the cruise. I mean honestly I really like the robes and I enjoy using them after showering while doing my hair and makeup, also in the morning while on the balcony. I do really appreciate the turndown service as I come back from dinner or the bar or whatever my evening entailed. It puts me in a relaxed mood. I like being taken care of on vacation, I don't vacation that often and when I do it's those kinds of things that I really enjoy.

I work at a hospital and I work really hard caring for others and honestly if Carnival took all of those thing away I would look elsewhere, because it's important to me to get value from my vacation but it's also important for me to have time to actually feel taken care of for once. I need that. As I assume many people feel like they do also. Many people go on vacations to get away and relax and taking away some of the "relaxing elements" of vacation is going to break it for me.[/quote

This is exactly what I love about cruising. I take all kinds of vacations -- camping trips, cabins rentals, theme parks -- and spend much of the time taking care of my kids. I love cruising because I finally get to feel taken care of. Turndown service, having my wet pool towels replaced, eating a nice dinner in the mdr, and not being allowed to take care of my own buffet dishes are all part of that. Carnival has allowed me to have that at a price we can afford, but I'm very willing to try other vacations if that feeling of being taken care of is taken away.

I will not stop cruising Carnival because Gold (and Red) members no longer get free drink coupons, but I am allowed to express my disappointment. :)

I'm like most folks - I sailed Carnival for the low pricing. Since most of my cruises are solo, I started going on other lines when Carnival stuck to a 200% single supplement.

Gee, I found out that other lines offer better entertainment, food, pool size and overall experience, often for less than the double price Carnival wants to charge this single.

BTW, I ask the room steward not to make the towel animals.

I almost left Carnival before, because of some things they took away. I stuck around for one more, and will likely do the one in October this year, but yes I will leave Carnival after that. Decision is made. It is not about the chocolate. For me, it is about all the items they have very quickly done away with. All those little things add up to be something bigger. And Carnival's "loyalty" program leaves much to be desired in my opinion, so even less reason to stick around for three or more cruises only then to find out that they have changed it again, and I will need to do several more to get to plat.

In less than ten years, they have taken away so many nice little perks, and some big ones, that I am yearning once again to try a different cruiseline. And I think it is good to branch out and try something new. Often you discover something that you prefer much better. Perhaps it will cost a bit more, but I am approaching a point in life when a little bit more paid for a better product is now important.

Another thing...Carnival has long been inconsistent in changing things, sometimes they do, and quickly change it back, some times you get an ice bucket, but other rooms down the hall do not. There is much much more, too much to list here. Inconsistency is one way to sour me against a product, and the only thing that Carnival is consistent about is cutting costs and cutting service.

Edited by SMSACE6

Would you really leave Carnival and choose another cruise line if you don't have chocolates on your pillow, or towel animals, or complimentary robes, or turn down service, or a 'reward' for being a return customer, or any of the other little "services" that have no impact other than they are a nicety?

Nope. Never really cared for the chocolates anyway. Probably the only time I've used one of the robes is when the room service guy knocked on the door one morning to deliver our coffee order and I was still in my undershorts. I'm an adult, capable of turning down my own bed (I don't have a housekeeping person to do it for me at home). So yes, while those things are nice little touches, they're not my reason(s) for choosing one cruise line over another.

I wouldn't change cruise lines because of no chocolate or turn down service, however I have been looking at other cruise lines for our next cruise because our last cruise on Magic we felt the food was not as good in the MDR. Now that is a biggie for us because part of the fun was enjoying the food. In fact we actually quit going to MDR after the 3rd night. Even our sea day brunch wasn't as good. So we ate most of our meals at either the Italian place or grabbed a sandwich from the deli. Not my idea of fine dining!

All the cutbacks didn't send me exclusively to other lines, but back to AI's. It's interesting that one place I've been going to since I was a kid never took any anything away; they have only value added on.

When you want a 7oz can of tuna, don't insult me by keeping the same price and giving me 5oz.

I'm pretty much addicted to cruising at this point...I don't really care about the chocolates , the robes,etc...but you are pushing it with my towel animals.:D I look forward to seeing them. I think while it's a cheap move to throw a bottle of water at us vs the free drink that they made it so difficult to redeem that free drink it never got used for us. They could've just lifted all restrictions and just given us a free drink credit in our S&S accounts. As long as the ship I'm on is visiting ports I want and I'm not at work then I'm good I don't care which cruise line I'm on!

My answer is yes. If a company does not care enough to supply the guest with an experience, than I would leave. A cruise ship is not a "hotel". It's a resort on water, and the expectations are different.

I have already left, and most likely will only go if I was with a group.

I don't understand. We have been sailing with Carnival since they began and my experiences now are way better than what they were before. I feel that the product has improved greatly throughout the years and I am paying way less now for our family vacation then what we used to pay for back then.

Edited by rtap23

I don't understand. We have been sailing with Carnival since they began and my experiences now are way better than what they were before. I feel that the product has improved greatly throughout the years and I am paying way less now for our family vacation then what we used to pay for back then.

My sentiments, exactly. I am in no way a traditionalist. And the little niceties that many find a compelling reason to re-book a cruise line hold little interest for me. I want my cruising experience to be new and fresh each time, not the same things done over and over again.

I think it is great that Carnival is investing it's money and effort into newer ships with a lot more "activities", better outdoor spaces, more child and family friendly experiences. That they are building ports, traveling to more interesting destinations, and providing things like spas and youth specific areas has meant that we can enjoy them as a family, not an old couple searching for some pampering and a whole list of sedentary activities....a good book and a quiet balcony are all I need when I'm a bit worn out from the kids talking me into the latest zip-line experience....a real hoot for a semi-retired Grandma.

My answer is yes. If a company does not care enough to supply the guest with an experience, than I would leave. A cruise ship is not a "hotel". It's a resort on water, and the expectations are different.

I have already left, and most likely will only go if I was with a group.

You would leave over a chocolate on a pillow? If that is an experience, I must have missed a lot.;) We bring them home to the grand kids. To be honest seems much ado over very little, but that is just my humble opinion.

For me, pricing, location, and the ship are the most important. Do I love Carnival? YES. Am I a little disappointed with the "changes" in regards to perks for those who are loyal to the company? YES again. Our cruise in October was picked based on location first and foremost. RCI has two other cruises the same time as the Carnival one, and pretty darn close in cost as well, so they were pretty even. One of the RCI cruises didn't go to one of the stops we really wanted so that was out and the other one we weren't to happy about the ship, so that one was out too. Carnival gave us the better ship and better itinerary. Am I still weary, of course. Am I looking toward booking another line for our cruise next year? Definitely. I get that we are paying a cheaper rate for most of the Carnival cruises vs. other lines, but that doesn't mean that their rewards for those loyal should dwindle... If it comes down to me picking a cruise that's similar in price, and the ship and itinerary is something I want, then I'm going to pick the one that's going to show me they are loyal to me if I'm loyal to them. Chocolate on pillows, not a necessity. We never use the robes, so that one as well. It's the bigger picture, and not the small things.

Edited by seventysixracing

Would you really leave Carnival and choose another cruise line if you don't have chocolates on your pillow, or towel animals, or complimentary robes, or turn down service, or a 'reward' for being a return customer, or any of the other little "services" that have no impact other than they are a nicety?

It sounds to me that you are asking if carnival stoped doing the little things and showing a bit of loyalty to it return costumers (us) would we continue to give them our money. Well the answer is no i would not keep giving them my money, if the service goes away why would i not go to another line who still goes that extra step? This is no diffrent then changing cell phone service people change all the time because the other company gives better service or better perks it just makes since.

Edited by CJHAN

For me, pricing, location, and the ship are the most important. Do I love Carnival? YES. Am I a little disappointed with the "changes" in regards to perks for those who are loyal to the company? YES again. Our cruise in October was picked based on location first and foremost. RCI has two other cruises the same time as the Carnival one, and pretty darn close in cost as well, so they were pretty even. One of the RCI cruises didn't go to one of the stops we really wanted so that was out and the other one we weren't to happy about the ship, so that one was out too. Carnival gave us the better ship and better itinerary. Am I still weary, of course. Am I looking toward booking another line for our cruise next year? Definitely. I get that we are paying a cheaper rate for most of the Carnival cruises vs. other lines, but that doesn't mean that their rewards for those loyal should dwindle... If it comes down to me picking a cruise that's similar in price, and the ship and itinerary is something I want, then I'm going to pick the one that's going to show me they are loyal to me if I'm loyal to them. Chocolate on pillows, not a necessity. We never use the robes, so that one as well. It's the bigger picture, and not the small things.

I think you hit the nail on the head right here. Some of us are looking at the big picture and the small things don't bother us. Others feel the need for the small things to make a vacation perfect. Some of us embrace change and just incorporate it in our decision making process and others can't stand it and will continue to complain whenever a change is made that they have a hard time accepting. It is a simple difference of opinion and a good reason to have choices. Unfortunately for those who hate change, that also includes changing cruiselines if their favorite makes changes they don't like, so instead of making the move to change themselves (either acceptance or changing to another line) they complain and complain and complain again. More power to them. I prefer to just pick my ship based on what is and enjoy my vacation :D.

I think you hit the nail on the head right here. Some of us are looking at the big picture and the small things don't bother us. Others feel the need for the small things to make a vacation perfect. Some of us embrace change and just incorporate it in our decision making process and others can't stand it and will continue to complain whenever a change is made that they have a hard time accepting. It is a simple difference of opinion and a good reason to have choices. Unfortunately for those who hate change, that also includes changing cruiselines if their favorite makes changes they don't like, so instead of making the move to change themselves (either acceptance or changing to another line) they complain and complain and complain again. More power to them. I prefer to just pick my ship based on what is and enjoy my vacation :D.

Perfectly said... End of conversation close the thread

Agreed.

I'd also add, at least to me, being unable to adapt to change is a sign of personal weakness. Embrace the change(s) and make the best of it. If at some point it's no longer worth it, don't ever sail Carnival again, no big deal...but I wouldn't squeal like a stuck pig on a message board if I ever do make that decision.

While we may complain that we want chocolate, no one picks a cruise based on that, its ports and price. There comes a point where you may be willing to pay more for the extras, and Carnival Corp has the Princess Line or Cunard to meet those needs. But Carnival has the lowest price point, and fun places to sail and will have that market without chocolate, but only if they keep the price down, and throwing away a lot of chocolates wont keep cost down.

I love the people I meet on here, and have made great friends, but we are the hard core, small percentage of cruisers, my 4-5 cruises a year is nothing compared to what some people do, but we are the 1% There are somethings I miss as all the Cruise lines evolve but they are a business and have to adapt. We also used to have more leg room, meals, and good service, but even when that went away we still buy plane tickets.

Some of these changes will push us to do what the want us to, and that is upgrade to a more expensive product, then they can fill the lower cost cabins with new customers who want to try it.

I dont think the flying comparison is 100%accurate. Most people only fly when they absolutely have to. While most if not all people cruise because they want to. We can be picky when it comes to cruising not so much when it comes to flying.

You would leave over a chocolate on a pillow? If that is an experience, I must have missed a lot.;) We bring them home to the grand kids. To be honest seems much ado over very little, but that is just my humble opinion.

I stay at a particular brand of hotels, because of how they show "small" items for loyalty. It's not one item, but many. Express check-in. Water bottles in the room. Free internet. Free parking.

I eat at a particular restaurant, because they give me a free meal every 10 times.

Think of how many companies you do business with that gives you loyalty bonuses. Think of the last time you were remembered by name, or recieved a welcome gift.

When a company shows appreciation, whether it is big or small, you will go back.

I stay at a particular brand of hotels, because of how they show "small" items for loyalty. It's not one item, but many. Express check-in. Water bottles in the room. Free internet. Free parking.

I eat at a particular restaurant, because they give me a free meal every 10 times.

Think of how many companies you do business with that gives you loyalty bonuses. Think of the last time you were remembered by name, or recieved a welcome gift.

When a company shows appreciation, whether it is big or small, you will go back.

I get the whole package thing, which I think Carnival does. A very good job of. I also understand hat big pictures are made up of little things. All that being said, it is a piece of chocolate left on a bed during turn down that the majority seem to think is not even any longer desired. This is the reason for my post. It seems you have left already, for other reasons, which is fine. Leaving for them discontinuing a piece of candy left on a pillow sounds trivial.