Spring Into Savings

tutak

Celebrity is currently having a sale that they call "Spring Into Savings." We are already booked into a Concierge cabin. That category and Aqua Class are already sold out on our cruise. Can we still get a price reduction? My TA say "No."

as long as there is a price change and you are before the due date for final payment you can go ahead and claim it...

be aware of the following when you are figuring out if it is really cheaper:

1- X has the right to reprice the reservation at the current rate. That includes any benefits your received from them (OBC, Drink Package, etc.). Don't forget that if you have a discounted deposit and the new rate requires a full deposit you will need to come up with the difference

2- your TA may have any penalties for changing the pricing of a cruise or cancelling. They should have disclosed these when you made the reservation

3- find a new TA who will work for you on these things. In fact, the one that I use will contact me and tell me that they found a cheaper rate and will be moving me to it, without me even lifting a finger !!!

Steve

Celebrity is currently having a sale that they call "Spring Into Savings." We are already booked into a Concierge cabin. That category and Aqua Class are already sold out on our cruise. Can we still get a price reduction? My TA say "No."

Are you currently booked in Concierge with the prepaid gratuity, drink package and $300 OBC? Many of the sailings have eliminated the perks and only offer the new discounted price. You would loose all of the perks if you were re-fared.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I agree with your TA, if your room category is sold out you can't get a price reduction. There would no longer be a price for that category, as it is sold out. If there is a different category you want to change to that is cheaper, and you are before final payment, you should be able to change, at the current price with the current deal.

Could you explain how there could be a price reduction for you if the category is sold out. :confused:

Reminds me of the old vaudeville skit where a person walks into a store to buy a apple and the price is 15 cents. He complained that they are selling for 10 cents down the street. The clerk tells him to go there and the man replies that they are sold out. The clerks says if mine were sold out I would be selling them for a nickel.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Could you explain how there could be a price reduction for you if the category is sold out. :confused:

Reminds me of the old vaudeville skit where a person walks into a store to buy a apple and the price is 15 cents. He complained that they are selling for 10 cents down the street. The clerk tells him to go there and the man replies that they are sold out. The clerks says if mine were sold out I would be selling them for a nickel.

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

That's no act. Working in retail for over 30yrs that happens on a daily basis. It's even worse when they show you a website on their phone. Me,Why don't you order it on the internet if it's cheaper?" Them, "Because they charge shipping and handling".:rolleyes:

Thanks for the lesson about fruit. I know little about fruit and less about the retail business. I looked at this as though I had gone to a clothing store, bought a new suit and took it home (although I have only ordered a cruise, I have not received it yet). Then the store advertises a sale, "Ten percent off all suits." I return to the store and ask if I can have a price adjustment. They say, "We don't have any more suits in you size, so the answer is 'No." But if they had one in my size on the rack, they would give me a price reduction on the suit that was hanging in my closet at home.

Thanks for the lesson about fruit. I know little about fruit and less about the retail business. I looked at this as though I had gone to a clothing store, bought a new suit and took it home (although I have only ordered a cruise, I have not received it yet). Then the store advertises a sale, "Ten percent off all suits." I return to the store and ask if I can have a price adjustment. They say, "We don't have any more suits in you size, so the answer is 'No." But if they had one in my size on the rack, they would give me a price reduction on the suit that was hanging in my closet at home.

Not quite the same, stores usually have timing, i.e if you are in the return period you can get the price reduction, otherwise not. But I think this would be more like you buying a suit, the store then advertises that they have sales on cloths. You go into the stores and can see each item is slightly different priced, different sales, etc. They no longer have any suits left, so there is no price reduction on the suits, as there are none for them to sell.

In this case, even if the sale is 10% off all categories (sorry, haven't looked at the details), if they don't have your category left, there is no base price to start from. For example, on a couple of the cruises I have booked, there is now a discount on the price of my category of cabin with this sale, but the base price of my cabin went up from when I booked, so now the discount price is still higher than I paid (significantly higher). NO way they are going to give me 10% off of what I paid when I booked. If I want the current deal, I get 10% off the current price.

I also have a couple of my cruises where my category is sold out, so no discount on those. For one of my cruises, the discount did result in a price reduction in the category I have booked, and since I am before final payment, Celebrity applied that discount.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Rose & I and our best friends are in CC cabins. My cousin and his wife are in a balcony cabin. When I saw the sale notice, I figured it wouldn't apply to sold out categories so I emailed my cousin and to him to call the TA to get a price reduction which he did. I posted on our roll call that if anyone had a friend who was on the fence in regards to the cruise that there was a price reduction for balcony cabins and you still got the drink package. One of the roll call members asked if you could get the price reduction for a sold out category. I figured that it never hurts to ask.

Here is another lesson in retail. If the suit still has the tags attached and hasn't been worn, Return to the store with the suit, return it and repurchase it at the lower price. I think you can do this with Celebrity as long as it's before final payment. However, I have read that sometimes they can't guarantee that you will get the same room.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3- find a new TA who will work for you on these things. In fact, the one that I use will contact me and tell me that they found a cheaper rate and will be moving me to it, without me even lifting a finger !!!

Steve

This is a little off-topic, but I'm wondering ... are we allowed to privately request information about a TA from another cruisecritic member? I know we can't post this kind of stuff, but I don't currently have a TA and I like the sound of Steve's agent!

We repriced our Jan B2B Summit cruise which we had booked on board The price was less but we had to give up our free gratuities so we saved a bit of money not a lot. Ontario Cruiser

P.S. I am surprised that the drink package was allowed to be kept as they originally gave us the grats then said no.

My June cruise to Bermuda, has now dropped $20 more per person with the same perks--123 all in + 300 obc--- In April it will be final due date---

I have already had price changed 4 times! Should I just "eat" the $40 at this point-- the thought of bothering customer service again, make me uncomfortable! Just curious what other members would do! (It's aqua 2 with many cabins still available )

Just keep watching it for a while.

Someone may cancel or switch to another category, so the price for the sold out category you want may re-appear when a cabin becomes available again. You can then request the price drop as long as you are before final payment.

Also watch for discounted special category rates, in case you are eligible for any of them. They can suddenly appear or disappear.

Sometimes it is worth giving up the perks to get a much lower price, while other times it is worth paying more to get the perks.

As far as amenities like a drink package go, what matters is how much it is really worth to you, not the value that the cruise line puts on it. Those drink packages are worth a great deal more to some passengers than to others. For some passengers, they are worth almost nothing at all.

This is a little off-topic, but I'm wondering ... are we allowed to privately request information about a TA from another cruisecritic member? I know we can't post this kind of stuff, but I don't currently have a TA and I like the sound of Steve's agent!

Here are the rules:

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Here are the rules:

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

A few months ago, some kind person recommended TA by saying that the name was the US equivalent of a British word, followed by the US equivalent of another British word. Worked perfectly! Such rules bring out the subversive in many people. It's not a fully enforceable rule, given human ingenuity,

Stuart

One thing to ask and look into before using a TA is if they charge any fees for changes or cancellations. There is one large TA that always promotes big "savings" and discounts to the first 500 or so. They cahrge $50 pp for any cancellation or change in your booking. If you see a price drop less than $50 it isn't worth asking for the change, and it will also cost to change to a different cabin or category.

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞