Help with itinerary - 1st time Oceania, 1st time Europe

cruiseintoheaven

I have pockets sewn inside my clothing. I do need to go in a dressing room, but I carry about 100 Euro and one credit card. Enough to get by. We only carry water in a tote. The bag the nice gentlemen were trying to get only had water and a comb in it. I told my husband to let them have it, but I suppose the male ego is too much for that, so he took them on. Some shop keepers came out and ran across to Las Ramblas and the five ran away. We know better now. We only carry enough to have a cocktail in a square or somewhere to people watch. The large cities are the problem. The smaller places are quite all right.

Lynn,

Thank you for starting this topic. I, too, have been researching European cruises for my 25th wedding anniversary. My husband has never been to Europe while I lived there as a child. He loves history so I have been looking at cruises focused on Italy.

I have truly enjoyed this thread. I have not been to Europe in about 35 years so I did not know that the pickpocket problem was as bad as it is.

I am also of Italian heritage. We went to visit my grandparents' villages and were invited to our relatives' apartments so I could relate to that segment as well.

This has brought back many memories. Enjoy your trip - no matter which itinerary you choose.

Diane

If you can say "hello," "goodbye", "please," and "thank you" in the local language, you'll be amazed at how well you can get along.

Remember that Europeans are somewhat more formal than Americans, so adopt the local custom of saying "hello" and "goodbye" when entering a shop. (Sadly, shop workers in major tourist destinations are somewhat used to Americans who don't know to do this, but you'll find you get better service with store clerks trying harder to bridge the language gap and help you if you adopt the local customs.)

I agree with all of that !

Might add, saying Hello and Goodbye in shops works in the US too, although in some parts of the US it catches people by surprise. :)

Tom

In 2003 I saved a link to a source on "Barcelona Street Scams" which I just checked and saw that it is no longer to be found but this appears to be the successor URL: http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/barcelona-scams/ Apparently this topic was created by this particular writer in 1996.

Here is another link: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/general/safety/barcelona-pickpockets.html

These don't just happen in Barcelona, of course, but because such activities are very common there, that's how we not refer to them. I had my money and passport stolen in Prague in 1998 on a crowded tram.

One popular approach is for someone to "accidentally" spill something on you, apologizing profusely, and helping you clean it off. Later on you realize they got your wallet. A variation of this theme happened to my husband in Barcelona a few years ago ...

Just be careful and keep your eyes open!

Mura

Your advice about pick-pocketing, etc is a bit concerning. I'll have to look into that more - can't imagine having to remove my wedding ring or not wear earrings....but I defer to to hose that have been in that regard...

I have never removed my wedding band, but I never travel wearing my engagement ring.

Since the crime in Europe tends to be non-violent, I'm not really concerned with someone eyeing my wedding band and mugging me. The issue with jewelry is that it tends to advertise how much money the owner is probably carrying on his/her person or the number of credit cards in a wallet or purse.

Are you talking about earrings for pierced ears? If so, and if you must wear earrings, consider buying some inexpensive earrings. These can range in price from less than $15 (Claire's stainless steel post earrings) to small gold or sterling earrings from a discount jewelry source. Even in gold, if you keep the earring very small and unobtrusive -- and you act with awareness of your surroundings -- you won't be sending the wrong signal to people casing the crowd.

I, too, have been researching European cruises for my 25th wedding anniversary. My husband has never been to Europe while I lived there as a child... I have not been to Europe in about 35 years so I did not know that the pickpocket problem was as bad as it is...

Cruiseintoheaven and Dramirez,

If you could take a survey of the people who participate on CC boards, you'd find that the number of people who have been the victims of pickpocketing is very, very, very small. Articles like the one which I've linked at first seem frightening, but ultimately should prove reassuring. Between the article and the many replies, you'll be armed with very concrete and effective steps to reduce the chance that you'll become a victim. (See particularly posts #12 and #24)

There's nothing you can do to guarantee that you'll never be a victim, but there's plenty you can do to signal to the pickpocketers, "I'm paying attention! I'm not an easy target! "

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2174099

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Hello,

My husband and I are looking at our first European cruise in the fall of 2016. We are looking at a few different itineraries, all 3 in an Oceania suite on the Riviera or Marina. All 3 are 7 day voyages that we would likely add a bit of land time onto, either before or after.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on which would be a best first cruise - obviously this is a subjective topic.

We are late 40's/late 50's...no real mobility issues, though we tend to go into laid back mode when on vacation. Though we don't dislike group tours, we prefer to do our own thing. If that info helps at all, which of the following would you suggest for a first time hop across the pond?

Rome to Monte Carlo - stops in Naples, Palermo, La Goulette, Provence, & Barcelona

Barcelona to Rome - stops in Palma de Mallorca, Sete, Monte Carlo, Portifino, La Spezia & Livorno

Rome to Venice - stops in Naples, Catania, Argostoli, Kotor, Zadar & Koper.

All three range from 10/15-11/2 - so I'm assuming that the crowds and heat would be lessoned, which is a plus (?)

Any advice or thoughts welcome....Lynn

My first cruise was on Nautica Barcelona -Rome similar to #3 of your list.

We booked private tours for the most part.

We also took an inexpensive flight (Ryanair) to Venice and spent a few days.

Even though it is very touristy it is well worth a visit.

When you have your ports worked out and researched and you've booked front of the line entrance tickets, you hardly notice the crowds.

Good luck and bon voyage.

I agree with all of that !

Might add, saying Hello and Goodbye in shops works in the US too, although in some parts of the US it catches people by surprise. :)

Tom

Hi Tom, I couldn't agree more. My husband and I were born and raised in NY. When we moved to Indiana about 12 years ago, we were really caught off guard by the mid-west way of shopping....lots of chit chat during any transaction. Now it seems odd when we return to NY to be met with more reserve.

My first cruise was on Nautica Barcelona -Rome similar to #3 of your list.

We booked private tours for the most part.

We also took an inexpensive flight (Ryanair) to Venice and spent a few days.

Even though it is very touristy it is well worth a visit.

When you have your ports worked out and researched and you've booked front of the line entrance tickets, you hardly notice the crowds.

Good luck and bon voyage.

Thanks for the advice...we are actually leaning quite heavily towards the Barcelona to Rome route, and since we'd bookend the trip with time before and after, likely save Venice for another journey as another poster suggested.

I have never removed my wedding band, but I never travel wearing my engagement ring.

Since the crime in Europe tends to be non-violent, I'm not really concerned with someone eyeing my wedding band and mugging me. The issue with jewelry is that it tends to advertise how much money the owner is probably carrying on his/her person or the number of credit cards in a wallet or purse.

Are you talking about earrings for pierced ears? If so, and if you must wear earrings, consider buying some inexpensive earrings. These can range in price from less than $15 (Claire's stainless steel post earrings) to small gold or sterling earrings from a discount jewelry source. Even in gold, if you keep the earring very small and unobtrusive -- and you act with awareness of your surroundings -- you won't be sending the wrong signal to people casing the crowd.

Cruiseintoheaven and Dramirez,

If you could take a survey of the people who participate on CC boards, you'd find that the number of people who have been the victims of pickpocketing is very, very, very small. Articles like the one which I've linked at first seem frightening, but ultimately should prove reassuring. Between the article and the many replies, you'll be armed with very concrete and effective steps to reduce the chance that you'll become a victim. (See particularly posts #12 and #24)

There's nothing you can do to guarantee that you'll never be a victim, but there's plenty you can do to signal to the pickpocketers, "I'm paying attention! I'm not an easy target! "

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2174099

This is an interesting thread/topic, and one I'll definitely look into. Thanks for the links and info!

Thanks for the advice...we are actually leaning quite heavily towards the Barcelona to Rome route, and since we'd bookend the trip with time before and after, likely save Venice for another journey as another poster suggested.

The Spanish VAT has not been mentioned yet, but I'd suggest that you do some research into it before making a final decision:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058326&highlight=spanish+vat

I know that we made some significant purchases on our first few trips to Europe.

Edited by StanandJim

The Spanish VAT has not been mentioned yet, but I'd suggest that you do some research into it before making a final decision:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2058326&highlight=spanish+vat

I know that we made some significant purchases on our first few trips to Europe.

Hi Stan and Jim - appreciate the heads up and link - which I just skimmed through and will have to take a closer look at. Basically it sounds like if the cruise includes a non-Spanish port the issue is moot? If that's the case, it would seem the stop in Monte Carlo or Sete, etc. would exempt us? Or perhaps I didn't delve deep enough into the thread....

In any case, my understanding is the Oceania suite comes with a decent bar set up, and Tom doesn't drink....so seemingly our exposure would be minimized :)

Appreciate all that I'm learning - CC is such a great resource!

it sounds like if the cruise includes a non-Spanish port the issue is moot? If that's the case, it would seem the stop in Monte Carlo or Sete, etc. would exempt us? Or perhaps I didn't delve deep enough into the thread....

In that case, You would pay the Tax from embarkation until the ship ports in Monte Carlo which as a free port has the ability to supersede the Spanish Law.

Remember that VAT is charged for goods and services, so it's not just your bar bill which would be impacted.

Edited by StanandJim

LeeAnne - what a fascinating story - that would be so interesting....can't even imagine. My dad was the youngest of 15 (yes, Roman Catholic) so I know somewhere in Italy I have a litter of relatives. I wonder if you've kept in touch with your family? It sounds like they really enjoyed having and hosting you.

We have! Well, with a few of them...the ones who speak English. I actually spent a year learning Italian before we went on this trip, because I was aware that most of them did not speak English. We'd connected with a young cousin who speaks English fluently and still lives in the town, and she made most of the arrangements and introductions. We're still in touch with her and her immediate family, and she keeps us informed how everyone is doing.

A little diversion here - just to add on to the magic of the story: when our great-grandfather left Italy, the war was in full swing. He was very close with a younger 2nd cousin of his - best friends. But he left, and the cousin went off to war, and they lost touch. My great-grandfather tried for years to find him, but he died relatively young and so they never re-connected.

When we went there, we were taken to the home of a very old man...he must have been in his 90's. He couldn't speak a word of English, and was hard of hearing, so we had a hard time communicating with him. Our cousin tried to explain to him who we were, but he was confused. So my sister pulled out the huge family tree chart, and we spent quite a bit of time trying to find if and where he might fit in it. Finally we found him...he was that cousin. And when he realized who we were he burst into tears!

He explained that he'd been injured in the war and spent years recovering away from the town, and by the time he returned nobody had a clue what had happened to his beloved older cousin. He'd always wondered what had happened to him...and to learn that he'd married, had children, and now here were his great-grandchildren in his home...oh, his reaction! We all ended up bursting into tears, hugging and crying...what a moment. I'll never forget it.

He died a couple years later, and we're told that his bedroom was FILLED with all the photos that we'd begun sending him of us, our families, our great-grandfather with his family and all his descendants, framed and hung on walls, standing on his dresser, in his bathroom. It gives me chills to realize how much pleasure we gave him in his final years.

Anyway...sorry for the side-track!

Regarding the pick-pockets -- Las Ramblas is notorious for them, but as others have said, they are generally not violent. Just GOOD at what they do! Last time I was in Barcelona (on a Regent cruise) I wore a small backpack, but all I had in it was an umbrella, a bottle of water, a map, and in a side pocket, my cabin card key in a little leather folio. Well when I went to get on the ship, someone had sliced a tiny slit in the side pocket and stolen my card key! I never had that thing off my back, and I never felt anything. I did manage to get back on the ship, and everyone joked with me that I was going to come back to my cabin and find a young pickpocket named Alejandro lounging on my sofa. For the rest of the cruise, whenever it was time to say goodnight everyone would joke with me, "Oh, is Alejandro waiting for you? Mustn't keep Alejandro waiting!" ;)

I still giggle at the thought of a pickpocket excitedly thinking he'd snagged a leather wallet...and opening it to see nothing but a useless plastic card with a picture of a middle-aged American woman on it. HA!

Another consideration would be Aqua Alta season in Venice. Late October and November they begin pulling out the elevated sidewalks.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVyog7PlUmwgAqQ1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzNW1pZmI0BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDU01FNjUyXzEEc2VjA3Nj?p=Aqua+Alta+Venice+2015&fr=yfp-t-337-s

We have! Well, with a few of them...the ones who speak English. I actually spent a year learning Italian before we went on this trip, because I was aware that most of them did not speak English. We'd connected with a young cousin who speaks English fluently and still lives in the town, and she made most of the arrangements and introductions. We're still in touch with her and her immediate family, and she keeps us informed how everyone is doing.

A little diversion here - just to add on to the magic of the story: when our great-grandfather left Italy, the war was in full swing. He was very close with a younger 2nd cousin of his - best friends. But he left, and the cousin went off to war, and they lost touch. My great-grandfather tried for years to find him, but he died relatively young and so they never re-connected.

When we went there, we were taken to the home of a very old man...he must have been in his 90's. He couldn't speak a word of English, and was hard of hearing, so we had a hard time communicating with him. Our cousin tried to explain to him who we were, but he was confused. So my sister pulled out the huge family tree chart, and we spent quite a bit of time trying to find if and where he might fit in it. Finally we found him...he was that cousin. And when he realized who we were he burst into tears!

He explained that he'd been injured in the war and spent years recovering away from the town, and by the time he returned nobody had a clue what had happened to his beloved older cousin. He'd always wondered what had happened to him...and to learn that he'd married, had children, and now here were his great-grandchildren in his home...oh, his reaction! We all ended up bursting into tears, hugging and crying...what a moment. I'll never forget it.

He died a couple years later, and we're told that his bedroom was FILLED with all the photos that we'd begun sending him of us, our families, our great-grandfather with his family and all his descendants, framed and hung on walls, standing on his dresser, in his bathroom. It gives me chills to realize how much pleasure we gave him in his final years.

Anyway...sorry for the side-track!

Regarding the pick-pockets -- Las Ramblas is notorious for them, but as others have said, they are generally not violent. Just GOOD at what they do! Last time I was in Barcelona (on a Regent cruise) I wore a small backpack, but all I had in it was an umbrella, a bottle of water, a map, and in a side pocket, my cabin card key in a little leather folio. Well when I went to get on the ship, someone had sliced a tiny slit in the side pocket and stolen my card key! I never had that thing off my back, and I never felt anything. I did manage to get back on the ship, and everyone joked with me that I was going to come back to my cabin and find a young pickpocket named Alejandro lounging on my sofa. For the rest of the cruise, whenever it was time to say goodnight everyone would joke with me, "Oh, is Alejandro waiting for you? Mustn't keep Alejandro waiting!" ;)

I still giggle at the thought of a pickpocket excitedly thinking he'd snagged a leather wallet...and opening it to see nothing but a useless plastic card with a picture of a middle-aged American woman on it. HA!

Wow, what a cool story about your grandfather/nephew and how that all came together - very touching and I'm sure a huge impact on you and your family - what a blessing!

The pickpocket story - now that is both hilarious after the fact and a good cautionary tale.....think I'm getting the picture.

In terms of the last post about aqua alto season in Venice - didn't even know it existed! Thanks for sharing, Lynn

My first thought when I read this thread was that Oct/November is a bit late for acceptable weather in the Med or the Adriatic.

However, I would choose the Venice cruise but not at that time of the year. September would be a most delightful time of the year.

My first thought when I read this thread was that Oct/November is a bit late for acceptable weather in the Med or the Adriatic.

However, I would choose the Venice cruise but not at that time of the year. September would be a most delightful time of the year.

I've considered the weather. But, I'm ok with cooler temps in October (and less crowds). We do quite a bit of warm weather/beach travel, so I'm equating this with an Alaskan voyage in late spring - plan for cooler temps and possibly have the surprise of warmer weather. Thanks for the reply and advice! Lynn

I have been to many of the cities/ports, some multiple times, some as land trips too.

Rome, Barcelona, Venice, Naples, Florence, Istanbul, Kotor, Slovenia, Monte Carlo, Portofino, Sorrento, Nice, Tunisia, Croatia, Sete, (I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

My favorites, are Rome and Barcelona. They feel like real, working, breathing cities. Venice is fine, but given the choice would go back to other places first.

My 2 cents...

I have been to many of the cities/ports, some multiple times, some as land trips too.

Rome, Barcelona, Venice, Naples, Florence, Istanbul, Kotor, Slovenia, Monte Carlo, Portofino, Sorrento, Nice, Tunisia, Croatia, Sete, (I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

My favorites, are Rome and Barcelona. They feel like real, working, breathing cities. Venice is fine, but given the choice would go back to other places first.

My 2 cents...

Hi kimanjo - your 2 cents are very much appreciated - and the Barcelona to Rome route, with a few days on each side, is what we've settled on. Per a previous posters recommendation we'll do Venice, hopefully, on another trip. Thanks again for the reply, Lynn

Hi kimanjo - your 2 cents are very much appreciated - and the Barcelona to Rome route, with a few days on each side, is what we've settled on. Per a previous posters recommendation we'll do Venice, hopefully, on another trip. Thanks again for the reply, Lynn

Great choice! I have done that route even later in the year and the weather was great. As an added bonus, hotel prices are quite reasonable after mid Oct. Your selected itinerary is a great Europe 101 course, with two major cities bookended on each side of the cruise.

Edited by buggins0402

Hi Tom, I couldn't agree more. My husband and I were born and raised in NY. When we moved to Indiana about 12 years ago, we were really caught off guard by the mid-west way of shopping....lots of chit chat during any transaction. Now it seems odd when we return to NY to be met with more reserve.

Exactly ! We found the same change when we moved from Boston area to South Carolina. In our case, it helps to be retired now. We have more time available for "unnecessary" conversation. :)

We are booked on the November 1, 2016 Rome to Venice cruise!

I've been lucky to travel (mostly independently and by land) throughout Europe during both summer and off-peak times over the years. I strongly prefer the off-peak option in that I hate crowds and hot weather and rather like a chill in the air. A bit of rain only makes things a bit more romantic (at least in my mind!).

I love that the sail dates will allow for long weekends in Rome before the sail date and in Venice afterwards.

We are booked on the November 1, 2016 Rome to Venice cruise!

I've been lucky to travel (mostly independently and by land) throughout Europe during both summer and off-peak times over the years. I strongly prefer the off-peak option in that I hate crowds and hot weather and rather like a chill in the air. A bit of rain only makes things a bit more romantic (at least in my mind!).

I love that the sail dates will allow for long weekends in Rome before the sail date and in Venice afterwards.

I couldn't agree more (well, maybe slightly on the rain:). Good point about the long weekends before and after as well.

I actually prefer a chill in the air and do not mind a little rain. The bigger problem you could have with a later sailing date in the Med is the rough seas. It can get a bit nasty out there and you may miss a few ports. We prefer Sept. or early Oct.

Never August..hot, humid and crowds :(

I sure agree with you about the Med in the summer time. I made a mistake when I booked the Black Sea cruise -- forgetting that I avoid that area in August! OTOH, in order to do that itinerary on O, it HAD to be in July or August. It was hot, but we were lucky with the weather. Only one day was super hot (the hottest day of the year, our guide told us) but we weren't doing that much exertion-wise so it was okay.

We're booked for the Barcelona-NYC TA in October 2016. We did our first Renaissance cruise (Lisbon-Barcelona) in October '99 and the weather was lovely.

But we've also done central Europe in November when it is cool ... and it didn't bother us. But I'd much rather have too cool weather than too hot!

Mura