Which ships (or Concierge's) allow children in Diamond Lounge

I guess I fail to understand the authoritarianism that us being demanded in this thread. Why must RCI dictate this from on high and demand conformity across all ships and all sailings whether it makes sense or not? As it stands now, it seems that the individual concierges are able to determine, based on local conditions particular to that sailing and that group of passengers, including the children at issue and the crowding(or not) of the lounge whether to allow this. I trust the concierges to make reasonable decisions and an happy to abide by that. I also leave it to parents to decide what environments their kids can be exposed and everyone else can shove off if you are going to try to tell me what is appropriate for my children. Honestly I've seen much worse behavior on the pool deck than I've ever seen in the DL or CL, where I've actually never seen anything inappropriate.

Truthfully, she is not Diamond, but she was with me and I went in to get my coffee so she came in with me. That is all, she was not even having coffee. And the Concierge came in and in greeting it came out that she was not Diamond and the concierge 'reminded' us about the rules. No problem, we were not trying to sneak anything, she was just coming into the Viking Crown Diamond area with me and then out again. It was a little aggravating to my MIL that she implied we might be, but we truly weren't. And we were the only people in there at all until she came in.

But my point was, if they are that picky about a non member in the early morning, can they not also be picky about children especially at cocktail hour.

And to me it doesn't have anything to do with what's appropriate for children, it has to do with an area where I can be secluded from them. I don't think that is an unreasonable request when they are perfectly welcome everywhere else on the ship! Do adults encroach on the kids areas taking their drinks and canapés, no this would bother the kids. Just as they should have their areas where they can be happy and do fun things without interruption, so we too should be afforded the same courtesy.

Edited by BecciBoo

Truthfully, she is not Diamond, but she was with me and I went in to get my coffee so she came in with me. That is all, she was not even having coffee. And the Concierge came in and in greeting it came out that she was not Diamond and the concierge 'reminded' us about the rules. No problem, we were not trying to sneak anything, she was just coming into the Viking Crown Diamond area with me and then out again. It was a little aggravating to my MIL that she implied we might be, but we truly weren't. And we were the only people in there at all until she came in.

But my point was, if they are that picky about a non member in the early morning, can they not also be picky about children especially at cocktail hour.

Easy solution

DL children or no children for cocktail hour, most would adhere to it.

And for other hours D D+ and P to have access 24hrs as it is now

CL, on smaller ships, rename to SL (Suite Lounge) Suite guests all families and Pinnacles.

Obviously if pinnacles didn't like families being in there, they could go to DL

But it is for suites only.

Yes I am D+, if they take CL away from us, I'll cry for 5mins then get over it:p

SL for all suite occupants including babies, would include D D+ who are staying in suites obviously, pinnacles also have access. 24hrs

Again if pinnacles don't like families being in there they can go to DL

They had a pinnacle club on Oasis, it never got used so they turned it into Suite Lounge and coastal kitchen and a Royal Suite.

The upper crust got a lounge, but did not take advantage of it:eek:

For the most part, it really is not rocket science.

DD will be mad if I am not allowed in AO to play air hockey

Edited by PompeySailor

You can now see that if a D+ came into the lounge with a D+ child who has earned it by cruise as many times as parents should be allowed.As long as there is room and they are behaved. Most parents with kids don't stay long or even leave once they have their drink

Edited by tigger-ttfn

Children's cruising status is derived by association with their parents not having cruised the same amount of cruises, that would be rather difficult. When they reach 18 that status reverts to the amount of cruises they have actually taken and their C&A numbers can no longer reflect the same count. In the old days that was not the case, but that's what I was told by C&A when I inquired about our grown daughter. She is not now considered Diamond and would not be allowed the discount on the next cruise we have booked.

But the key phrase in the above statement is "if there is room" when in the past few years the overcrowding of both the CL and DL has resulted in so many changes, such as the vouchers. Should crowding be increased with children coming in also? If I came to happy hour and could not get into the lounge because of children taking up the seating, I would be peeved...just sayin. Just as I would be peeved if I went to the Adult Solarium and the pool was taken up by children and their splashing and making noise prevented me from swimming. They have their own areas where they can make noise and have as much fun as they want.

Edited by BecciBoo

Children's cruising status is derived by association with their parents

That's the system Royal Caribbean developed. It's a not a system any guest chose or imposed on them.

This has gone terribly off topic. I started a running list a number of posts back as to what ships DO allow and which ships DON'T allow. RCI policy is inconsistent, thus giving the discretion to the concierges. Therefore it would be useful to know which ships do allow and which ships don't allow. Any other grievances about what is allowed or not allowed should be directed to RCI C&A. I can't change the rules of the program. I can only abide by the rules and maximize the benefits available to me (and my family). Knowing what those rules are on a ship by ship (case by case) basis is useful information.

That's the system Royal Caribbean developed. It's a not a system any guest chose or imposed on them.

This has gone terribly off topic. I started a running list a number of posts back as to what ships DO allow and which ships DON'T allow. RCI policy is inconsistent, thus giving the discretion to the concierges. Therefore it would be useful to know which ships do allow and which ships don't allow. Any other grievances about what is allowed or not allowed should be directed to RCI C&A. I can't change the rules of the program. I can only abide by the rules and maximize the benefits available to me (and my family). Knowing what those rules are on a ship by ship (case by case) basis is useful information.

Except of course, that since the rules are arbitrarily implemented on a ship by ship basis, they're also subject to arbitrary change on a week by week basis, or as staff changes. Thus, although I admire your attempt to build this list, its ultimately rather useless in terms of booking cruises weeks or months in advance based on whether one wishes kids to be allowed or excluded.

Children's cruising status is derived by association with their parents not having cruised the same amount of cruises, that would be rather difficult. When they reach 18 that status reverts to the amount of cruises they have actually taken and their C&A numbers can no longer reflect the same count. In the old days that was not the case, but that's what I was told by C&A when I inquired about our grown daughter. She is not now considered Diamond and would not be allowed the discount on the next cruise we have booked.

Their number of actual cruises shows on the account at age 18, but they should retain the status level their parents earned before they turned 18. So someone could be D+ with any number of points below 175 if their parents were D+ and they were linked to the account by age 18.

Edited by marci22

Kids were allowed in the diamond lounge at all times when I was on Splendour in January.

As an amusing aside, on the same sailing one of the other passengers in the diamond lounge asked me where my parents were. I wasn't really sure how to respond since I'm in my 30s.

Kids were allowed in the diamond lounge at all times when I was on Splendour in January.

As an amusing aside, on the same sailing one of the other passengers in the diamond lounge asked me where my parents were. I wasn't really sure how to respond since I'm in my 30s.

Lounge police :eek:

Actually a few years ago a passenger stopped my then 20 something son to ask him if he belonged in the CL. He did, but how in the world does a passenger think they can question other patrons. My son wanted to ask the man if HE BELONGED THERE, but his manners would not let him.

Enjoy your apparent youthful look.

M

Actually a few years ago a passenger stopped my then 20 something son to ask him if he belonged in the CL. He did, but how in the world does a passenger think they can question other patrons. My son wanted to ask the man if HE BELONGED THERE, but his manners would not let him.

M

Appreciate your son's manners, but in this particular case, I think he'd have been more than justified in doing just that - and asking for ID! :)

On the Rhapsody we were told we could bring our daughter who is 16 and a Diamond member in her own right not because we are diamond entry in to the diamond lounge at anytime. We only ever took her in when we had coffee during the day. As we stay in suites so go to the CL in the evening.

I personally have only ever seen unruly adults in the CL (they were asked to leave) and only well mannered children sitting quietly with there parents.

A friend who is D+ has been told that more and more Diamond lounges are going to be welcoming children .Because there are a lot of diamond members under 21 that have earned the points to be diamond members. And a lot of Diamond members want to take their Diamond member children in to the lounges. It would be nice if they are going to change the rules that they put the details up on their website.To save confusion in on whether children are allowed in the DL or not.

Edited by Jasp 0401

Their number of actual cruises shows on the account at age 18, but they should retain the status level their parents earned before they turned 18. So someone could be D+ with any number of points below 175 if their parents were D+ and they were linked to the account by age 18.

That didn't happen to my oldest daughter when she turned 21. She only has the points and C&A level to match those points from the cruises she has been on.Which is why her younger sister who has cruised more often has more points and will reach D+ before her older sister.

Edited by Jasp 0401

That is incorrect according to what the agent told us.

Sorry the subject has gone off course LMaxwell

Edited by BecciBoo

That didn't happen to my oldest daughter when she turned 21. She only has the points and C&A level to match those points from the cruises she has been on.Which is why her younger sister who has cruised more often has more points and will reach D+ before her older sister.

This confirms what we were told.

And when I say 'children' I do not mean someone who has passed elementary school....older children are fine, I meant younger children who have trouble being quiet and mannerly. Younger children, and they are rightly so, may be quite noisy and distractive. But they may interrupt an adult experience in the lounge.

M

I know your son was too polite to respond in kind, but the next time some passenger asks to see my Gold Card, I'm responding with " Oh, do you work here? Would you get me a glass of champagne?"

M

I've thought about this some after a number of similar comments over the years and think that the best response I could give to indicate that the comment is inappropriate while trying to be tactful is to say "Respectfully, if I asked you the same question you would probably think I was rude." Unfortunately every time this has come up I'm caught off guard and just try to get out of the conversation as quickly as possible.

In this instance when the guy found out my parents weren't on board he followed up by asking if it was really safe for two women to be travelling alone.

I've thought about this some after a number of similar comments over the years and think that the best response I could give to indicate that the comment is inappropriate while trying to be tactful is to say "Respectfully, if I asked you the same question you would probably think I was rude." Unfortunately every time this has come up I'm caught off guard and just try to get out of the conversation as quickly as possible.

In this instance when the guy found out my parents weren't on board he followed up by asking if it was really safe for two women to be travelling alone.

How...creepy[emoji33]

I know your son was too polite to respond in kind, but the next time some passenger asks to see my Gold Card, I'm responding with " Oh, do you work here? Would you get me a glass of champagne?"

LOL :D

As a Diamonds in our late 20s, DW and I are accustomed to receiving some looks in the DL... but nobody has outright accused us of sneaking in (yet).

Edited by Dave85

On my last cruise last year, There was a child brought in during the evening mixer. It was a group. The child was quiet ( maybe 7 years old) and so it appeared no one had any complaints, and they were never asked to leave.

Personally, If there isn't a rambunctious child there, its not a problem for me, but I still personally prefer the adults only concept.

Once you get to a certain age and you have raised your kids (and probably others' kids) my next level is to be around adults and do adult things. :-)

It is my understanding that admittance of children into the DL is either on a ship by ship, or concierge by concierge, basis. Which ships currently allow children into the DL? The RC website talks more about the Concierge Lounge than the Diamond Lounge in this regard. Much like there are lists for current captains, cruise directors, and activity directors, it would be useful to have a compiled list for Diamond Lounge access.

So from our experience the following do:

Splendour

Vision

Brilliance

But not

Independence

Up soon we have Anthem so will post back on that score.

suite guests with young children threw hissy fits complaining they could not enjoy cocktail hour as the kids clubs were closed at the same time so Royal caved and began permitting children in the CL during cocktail hour. Trust me, I had booked my cruise specifically in a suite to HAVE a Kids free lounge atmosphere and they changed the rules a mere month before we sailed. i was not happy camper, and neither was the Concierge who had to deal with a toddler who destroyed the area she was in every night so badly he hd to call housekeeping. nothing like having a quiet conversation interrupted by a vacuum cleaner sucking up ground in cracker crumbs.

prior to that both CL and DL were lumped together with the ban on kids for cocktail hour.

ah well I am 3 cruises shy of making Dimond so once that happens I may forgo the CL just to avoid the kids....

Edited by acjb