Reserving sunbeds Azura

cruisebore

Not before time

The situation reference reserving sunbeds was addressed in quite a forceful manner on our first morning underway. A message from the Hotel Services Manager was piped into each cabin. He said in an unambiguous and forceful manner that the practice of reserving loungers was totally unacceptable, causing a great deal of resentment amongst fellow passengers. Any sunbeds left vacant for a period of time should be considered free for use. Did it work? A quick check at 1.45 resulted in observing literally hundreds of free loungers. Let us hope this is mirrored on the other sea days

Not before time

The situation reference reserving sunbeds was addressed in quite a forceful manner on our first morning underway. A message from the Hotel Services Manager was piped into each cabin. He said in an unambiguous and forceful manner that the practice of reserving loungers was totally unacceptable, causing a great deal of resentment amongst fellow passengers. Any sunbeds left vacant for a period of time should be considered free for use. Did it work? A quick check at 1.45 resulted in observing literally hundreds of free loungers. Let us hope this is mirrored on the other sea days

Hooray! Let's hope this approach is maintained and becomes the 'norm' across the fleet too. Good for them grasping the nettle at last.

Not before time

Not before time. One real bugbear for a lot of passengers. Great to hear that action is being taken at long last. How long do you think that is considered as being acceptable before them are free?

Not before time. One real bugbear for a lot of passengers. Great to hear that action is being taken at long last. How long do you think that is considered as being acceptable before them are free?

I would say 10/15 minutes !

I would agree - time for a trip to the bathroom or back to your stateroom. Going for lunch...... take your belongings, come back and take pot luck. From cruisebore's description there will be plenty of available loungers to choose from when you get back.

I would agree as well. People need to leave their loungers for short periods to answer a call of nature, go to the ice cream stall, collect something from their cabin etc. 15 mins or so should be plenty of time to do this. It is not acceptable IMO for them to be left reserved whilst their users go for lunch or to play deck quoits or some other activity, let alone to go ashore (as sometimes happens)

If talking about the cruise just completed 06/07 March, then a couple of instances prove that selfishness still persists.

On the first of the final two consecutive sea days, after an early breakfast the two of us got a nice couple of beds on the starboard side. I am talking of 0800hrs and there were a great number of beds already with towels on. Over the next hour or so these were mostly taken up. After that numerous people came by looking for beds and kept looking at these two that were in a prime position but which had towels on them. By 1100hrs these still had not been taken up and myself and a couple of other people pointed this out that they should remove towels and use them. On each occasion prople said they would feel uncomfortable at doing so. I even said they could have my beds and I would use the unused beds if it would make them feel easier. They declined.

At 1230 a "gent" arrived at these beds sat down on one of them, unwrapped the towels and got up picked up his towels and walked away.

Absolute class eh?

And just another quickie. Similar scenario, but after a couple of hours of "reserved beds" not being used, a guy got up moved those and placed his beds into the space created saying that they may have the beds reserved but not the space occupied.

I really hope this works, but have reservations about it being passenger led.

I can see arguments leading to worse when said passenger goes off for a "quick" lunch and finds their book/hat/flip flops etc deposited on the nearest ledge.

What's really needed is a deck hand going round checking vacancy times. But P&O want to leave it all to the passengers good manners.

Still, let's hope it works.

David

First picks on loungers should be part of the select price, maybe different colours and the saver prices nowhere near the pools.. :) in jest.

I'm quite comfortable in moving stuff if no one shows up after an hour or so, I don't move their stuff I move the lounger and put mine in their place...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You do post a load of rubbish!

Sadly, this is true.

My BIL was on the receiving end.

Bye the bye, it was on the Ventura.

Ventura being pronounced by some as (via the nasal cavity with mouth open)

When-tuur-raaah

Obviously it would apoear one's critiques regarding hotels, dining, and beach stays etc, are not to your liking. But others may find them having some merit.

Was on the azura in February on our last sea day and it was very windy blowing towels away so saw some angry people acusing other passengers nicking their beds. Another story was my mother in law was sat on a bed very early in the morning and a gentleman said we always use these beds as if they owned them

Great idea, we took two sunbeds on Azura which had been vacant? (well a book and towel) for one hour and 45 minutes. We had had enough, so put the book and a towel on a table and took the beds. After another 20 minutes, the previous owners arrived and gave us a mouthful including the f word. We just said they had been gone too long and luckily another couple agreed with us.

Great idea, we took two sunbeds on Azura which had been vacant? (well a book and towel) for one hour and 45 minutes. We had had enough, so put the book and a towel on a table and took the beds. After another 20 minutes, the previous owners arrived and gave us a mouthful including the f word. We just said they had been gone too long and luckily another couple agreed with us.

Good on you.

It would seem from talking to others on this subject, that whereas once upon a time, books and towel were seen as fair game to remove from beds. But there is a tendency now to also leave a handbag or some other personal belonging as well which is making people hesitate touching such items.

I think the sunbed issue would be largely solved if P&O stated that you couldn't have another blue towel without returning the previous one. At the end of the day, the staff clearing the beds away find hundreds of towels just left behind.

Great to see that P&O are giving a strong message here.

The potential for conflict is something all of us (P&O Included) wish to avoid, even more so on Holiday.

I'd not move or otherwise 'take' sunbeds that someone else has reserved. You should however hear the comments - it only takes one to start it when they return....... (yes me)

Reserving sun beds and leaving them empty for hours on end is nothing short of selfish. Again something we all agree on.

then there are the ones who reserve two in the shade and two in the sun! Oh yes, I've seen that more than once.

Seen that several times and some get quite nasty if you try to use one of their 'reserved' but not being used as they are in the sun or vice versa.

Sounds to me these areas need "marshalling" for want of a better word. A member of staff keeps an eye on these areas, and any personal property left on an unattended lounger for over 15 minutes gets gathered up and sent to lost property. The people causing the problems will soon get fed up of having to go and recover their belongings and stop denying other people use of the facilities

I'll be on Azura in June and was wondering what people do with their things when they go for a swim. I'll probably be swimming in the morning and it's a fjords cruise so maybe not such an issue but I'd hate for my things to be moved just because I want to swim for more than 15 minutes.

I was also wondering what I should do with my things anyway. I'll be on my own as H doesn't do swimming or sitting out in the sun. Are things generally safe to be left?

then there are the ones who reserve two in the shade and two in the sun! Oh yes, I've seen that more than once.

Yes, we've seen that a few times and also reserving two for the sunscreen football and two in the sun etc. These issues are fairly easy to sort out if P&O wanted to. More difficult is the family or large group who reserve a bed for every person in their group but half of the never get used or the person leaving a single on either side of them in order to give themselves some space. You can't easily eradicate selfishness like that.

Was on the azura in February on our last sea day and it was very windy blowing towels away so saw some angry people acusing other passengers nicking their beds. Another story was my mother in law was sat on a bed very early in the morning and a gentleman said we always use these beds as if they owned them

My reply would be you don't always use them because today we are!!