Old fashions in the concierge lounge?

Has anyone ever successfully ordered an old fashion in the conceirge lounge? What about at the regular bars.

I had to look up the recipe, but it looks like it uses nothing exotic, so I don't see any problem.

"Old Fashioned Whiskey Cocktail

Dissolve a small lump of sugar with a little water in a whiskey-glass;

add two dashes Angostura bitters,

a small piece of ice, a piece of lemon-peel,

one jigger whiskey.

Mix with small bar-spoon and serve, leaving spoon in glass." [8]

Haha I thought it was going to be a thread about complaints of only seeing old fashioned people in the CL.

....I was in the CL a couple weeks ago and yes...you could say it was full with a huge group of "old fashions"........how old were they?......they were so old their gold card was a carved tablet........:D:D:D.......thanks folks I'll be here all week.....try the veal.........:D

Ahhhh my favorite cocktail (at least the modern interpretation). I enjoyed numerous Old Fashions in the Schooner Bar on the Jewel of the Seas. The do a fantastic job there as they are used to classic cocktails. It may be hit or miss at the pool bar or sports bar.

Some may not know that the original did not have any fruit and was basically whiskey, sugar, water and bitters. The modern version which is what you will find in most bars, including RCI, starts by muddling an orange wedge with a few cherries, adding some simple syrup, bitters, your favorite whiskey (usually bourbon) and water.

My bourbon of choice is Knob Creek, but also enjoyed a few made with Bookers (be careful). My only issue is that they tend to add a little too much simple syrup for my taste and once I mentioned it, they were perfect.

Cheers

-F-

Thanks for the heads up on the simple syrup. I like mine not too sweet as well. However, I take mine with Rye. You know... being from Canada and all :D

dp

I tend prefer American straight rye in my Manhattans and Old Fashions as they tend to be a little spicier and less sweet when mixing. Most recently I have fallen in love with Bulleit Rye, but I never did see any of those choices while on board.

Being from Canada you are probably referring to blended Canadian whiskies when you mention rye. So you should be happy as they served me Crown Royal the first time I ordered a Rye drink.

Cheers

-F-

I tend prefer American straight rye in my Manhattans and Old Fashions as they tend to be a little spicier and less sweet when mixing. Most recently I have fallen in love with Bulleit Rye, but I never did see any of those choices while on board.

Being from Canada you are probably referring to blended Canadian whiskies when you mention rye. So you should be happy as they served me Crown Royal the first time I ordered a Rye drink.

Cheers

-F-

You are right again. Crown Royal will do very nicely. My go to rye is Forty Creek but I have no problem at all with CR. I also like the Scotches. I also like a drink called a Rob Roy. Which is a Manhattan but with Scotch. But you may already know all this.

dp

Ahhhh my favorite cocktail (at least the modern interpretation). I enjoyed numerous Old Fashioneds in the Schooner Bar on the Jewel of the Seas. The do a fantastic job there as they are used to classic cocktails. It may be hit or miss at the pool bar or sports bar.

Some may not know that the original did not have any fruit and was basically whiskey, sugar, water and bitters. The modern version which is what you will find in most bars, including RCI, starts by muddling an orange wedge with a few cherries, adding some simple syrup, bitters, your favorite whiskey (usually bourbon) and water.

My bourbon of choice is Knob Creek, but also enjoyed a few made with Bookers (be careful). My only issue is that they tend to add a little too much simple syrup for my taste and once I mentioned it, they were perfect.

Cheers

-F-

Oxymoron alert! :eek: ;) :p :D

Cheers

-F-

Big fan of Bulleit myself as well as Rittenhouse, although I don't expect to find a good rye on board either :(

You are right again. Crown Royal will do very nicely. My go to rye is Forty Creek but I have no problem at all with CR. I also like the Scotches. I also like a drink called a Rob Roy. Which is a Manhattan but with Scotch. But you may already know all this.

dp

While, I am not much of a Scotch drinker, I will have a Rusty Nail once in a while. You will find some decent scotch choices besides Jamison, such as Macallan 12yo and Glenmorangie.

Cheers

-F-

Big fan of Bulleit myself as well as Rittenhouse, although I don't expect to find a good rye on board either :(

You are correct. I did not see a single straight rye whisky anywhere on board.

I will keep an eye out for Rittenhouse as I have not tried that one yet.

Cheers

-F-