Ixtapa and Zihuantenejo

SeaMystique

Anybody know why Princess stopped going to these ports?

Were there specific instances re: security or was it just general malaise de Mexico?

No cruise line except Carnival, as far as I can tell, offers 2 week cruises to Mexico out of Los Angeles any more. Princess has one 14 night, but it's a 50th anniversary sailing and is sold out. Their 10 night cruises are few and far between....

I always thought I. and Z. sounded like cool places to go (just saying their names is cool[emoji41]). Anne have an answer to this question?..

Thanks,

Sylvia

Anybody know why Princess stopped going to these ports?

Were there specific instances re: security or was it just general malaise de Mexico?

No cruise line except Carnival, as far as I can tell, offers 2 week cruises to Mexico out of Los Angeles any more. Princess has one 14 night, but it's a 50th anniversary sailing and is sold out. Their 10 night cruises are few and far between....

I always thought I. and Z. sounded like cool places to go (just saying their names is cool[emoji41]). Anne have an answer to this question?..

Thanks,

Sylvia

It (they) is/are a lovely little fishing village/area. I found the area to be very clean and the folks very pleasant.

It is a small village. I don't remember that there was a lot to do in Zihuantenejo. I never ventured to Ixtapa - the tours there were cancelled due to lack of interest.

The people were very friendly and enjoyed having tourists there. It really is a sleepy fishing village. I doubt the port was cancelled due to any violence. My guess is that it was cancelled as there are not a lot of activities to keep 3000 passengers happy. We were on a smaller ship (Sun Princess - 70,000 tonns).

Maybe they stopped because they stopped going that far South. That makes sense.

Edited by Coral

My guess is the Mexican Drug Cartels. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/02/zihuatanejo-bodies-found_n_991375.html

When I was there nine years ago, I asked our cab driver what happen to the Westin and the Sheraton. He told me that all of the hotels were owned by the Mexican drug cartels and that all of the U.S. based hotels were long gone.

My guess is the Mexican Drug Cartels. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/02/zihuatanejo-bodies-found_n_991375.html

When I was there nine years ago, I asked our cab driver what happen to the Westin and the Sheraton. He told me that all of the hotels were owned by the Mexican drug cartels and that all of the U.S. based hotels were long gone.

Wow! I am surprised and saddened.

I was afraid it was something like this (drug cartels). Shame.

On the other hand, Colombia got cleaned up so maybe Mexico will too. One can hope.

As far as going far south in Mexico, we stopped in Puerto Chiapas only last week (sigh) on our way back to L.A. after a Panama Canal crossing. This town is only five miles or so from Guatemala, so yes, it is about as far south as you can go there. We went to a chocolate demonstration in Tuxla Chico, an adorable small town with very friendly people; also saw Mayan ruins. Loved it.

It is really too bad that criminals have ruined so many interesting places in Latin America. Always wanted to see Oaxaca, for example.

Back to another of my original questions: does any cruise line other than Carnival still do 14 days to Mexico from L.A.?

I really don't want to use the cheaper spread.:o

I was afraid it was something like this (drug cartels). Shame.

On the other hand, Colombia got cleaned up so maybe Mexico will too. One can hope.

As far as going far south in Mexico, we stopped in Puerto Chiapas only last week (sigh) on our way back to L.A. after a Panama Canal crossing. This town is only five miles or so from Guatemala, so yes, it is about as far south as you can go there. We went to a chocolate demonstration in Tuxla Chico, an adorable small town with very friendly people; also saw Mayan ruins. Loved it.

It is really too bad that criminals have ruined so many interesting places in Latin America. Always wanted to see Oaxaca, for example.

Back to another of my original questions: does any cruise line other than Carnival still do 14 days to Mexico from L.A.?

I really don't want to use the cheaper spread.:o

Whatever makes you think Columbia was cleaned up?

The answer to your question is no 14 days to Mexico on any cruise line. Princess does offer a 10 day cruise....

If you are willing to leave out of San Diego, Norwegian is going to Ixtapa later this year with 2 or 3 cruises:

Fri Oct 2 San Diego, CA 4:00pm

Sat Oct 3 At Sea

Sun Oct 4 At Sea

Mon Oct 5 At Sea

Tue Oct 6 Acapulco, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed Oct 7 Ixtapa, Mexico 7:00am 3:00pm

Thu Oct 8 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 10:00am 7:00pm

Fri Oct 9 Mazatlan, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Sat Oct 10 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 8:00am

Sun Oct 11 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 2:00pm

Mon Oct 12 At Sea

Tue Oct 13 San Diego, CA 8:00am

Not even Carnival does that anymore. They do have a 13 day itinerary, one sailing next January.

No other cruise line has more than 10 days, at least through April 2016.

Whatever makes you think Columbia was cleaned up?

The answer to your question is no 14 days to Mexico on any cruise line. Princess does offer a 10 day cruise....

Well, to her credit, Columbia did clean up for a few years until the FARC took over the drug trafficking and kidnapping business. :D

Yes, it is a sad situation in Mexico. Such a beautiful country being destroyed by renewed corruption and violence.

If you are willing to leave out of San Diego, Norwegian is going to Ixtapa later this year with 2 or 3 cruises:

Fri Oct 2 San Diego, CA 4:00pm

Sat Oct 3 At Sea

Sun Oct 4 At Sea

Mon Oct 5 At Sea

Tue Oct 6 Acapulco, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed Oct 7 Ixtapa, Mexico 7:00am 3:00pm

Thu Oct 8 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 10:00am 7:00pm

Fri Oct 9 Mazatlan, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Sat Oct 10 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 8:00am

Sun Oct 11 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico 2:00pm

Mon Oct 12 At Sea

Tue Oct 13 San Diego, CA 8:00am

We are seriously thinking about booking this cruise. :)

Patti

We are seriously thinking about booking this cruise. :)

Patti

Yes, it does look really good. They're also doing the same itinerary in 2016. My only problem with it is the time of year. The Mexican coast is still in its rainy period in October. November would give me sunnier skies.

Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo is really beautiful. I spend a week there in November 2014 and want to go back.

Happy Sailing!

• 9 years later...
On 3/10/2015 at 6:36 PM, Coral said:

It is a small village. I don't remember that there was a lot to do in Zihuantenejo. I never ventured to Ixtapa - the tours there were cancelled due to lack of interest.

The people were very friendly and enjoyed having tourists there. It really is a sleepy fishing village. I doubt the port was cancelled due to any violence. My guess is that it was cancelled as there are not a lot of activities to keep 3000 passengers happy. We were on a smaller ship (Sun Princess - 70,000 tonns).

Maybe they stopped because they stopped going that far South. That makes sense.

We were there on the Sun Princess in 2004 and later on the Golden Princess in 2007.  I really enjoyed the little village with the cobblestone streets.  We ate at a good restaurant right on the little main walking street.  Also took a small boat over to Playa Las Gatas Beach. Nice area with clear, smooth water.  I sure wish Princess would bring it back.  In 2004 Acapulco was nice.  We saw the cliff divers.  In 2007 we didn’t very far from the ship when we were in Acapulco.  There had been some cartel violence and we just didn’t feel as comfortable.