Freedom or RC Oasis

HTownMC

I'm in the Houston area. Traveling with family of 5: 2 sons (18 and 15) and 3 year old daughter. Freedom our of Galveston is 2K cheaper for 2 rooms (suite won't hold 5). Since this is oldest son's graduation present (along with family summer vacation), I was willing to pay the difference, until I noticed it will be an extra 3K for 5 airline tickets. Have to make a decision soon. Is it worth the extra money for the extra activities on the Oasis or will there be enough activities for the 3 children (different ages) on the Freedom.

I know I'm asking about 2 different cruise lines, but thought I'll give it a shot.

Need to make a decision soon.

I never like to tell people how to spend their money but.......

I have been on the Glory (sister ship to Freedom) and I have been on the Allure (sister ship to the Oasis) and if money was not a factor I would choose the Oasis hands down!

That class of ship is a destination unto itself........

The Oasis (or Allure) is IMO well-worth the difference in cruisefare, but I'm not so sure about the added airfare. If you've got the bucks, the Oasis/Allure is a total experience and you probably won't be able to experience everything in 7-days. Ken

If you can afford it, another vote for Oasis.

My pockets aren't deep enough, but one of these days I will get on Allure or Oasis.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Carnival and the Breeze, but those ships look AMAZING and probably should be experienced at least once.:D:D

Plus, there would be a lot MORE for your sons to do on Oasis.

Take the plunge.:D

OK, thanks all for the feedback. We did the Allure about 3 years ago and loved it. You all pretty much support what I was thinking. But since I hadn't been on the Freedom thought I'll see if there was enough activities to support me choosing it over the Oasis. It's about a 40 minute drive to Galveston to catch the Freedom over the cost and hassle of flying to FL, but I do agree that the week on Oasis would probably be much better. I guess I have a big decision to make. Thanks.

The Allure which is the sister ship of the Oasis was my 53rd cruise and it was the BEST SHIP that I ever been on, but.....where does the Freedom go? If the Freedom saves you 2k, that definitely is something to think about because that can pay for your onboard expenses on the Freedom.

OK, thanks all for the feedback. We did the Allure about 3 years ago and loved it. You all pretty much support what I was thinking. But since I hadn't been on the Freedom thought I'll see if there was enough activities to support me choosing it over the Oasis. It's about a 40 minute drive to Galveston to catch the Freedom over the cost and hassle of flying to FL, but I do agree that the week on Oasis would probably be much better. I guess I have a big decision to make. Thanks.

If money is your major criteria, I would take the Freedom. Your family would certainly enjoy it. If you are looking for the best ship between the two and are willing to spend more, I would go with Oasis or Allure. There is simply no comparison between the two.

Lyn,

The Freedom would save us close to 5K (2K + 3K in air). We have a choice of going 6/13 to Key West and Bahamas or 6/20 to Belize, Honduras and Cozumel. We have done Belize, Hond, Coz or Key yet, but have done Bahamas many times. This round activities for the kids are higher priorities then port visited.

HTownMc hello.

There will be a lot more activities for the kids on the Oasis....flowrider, rock climbing, zip lining, etc. Your youngest will have a beautiful kid area/friendly pool along with a merry go round. If you think they would do these activities more than once on the ship then it is something to think about, but if not, I can't see spending the extra 5k....although I am going to say again how much I love the Allure/Oasis and the Oasis has just been in dry dock a few months ago.

Going back to the two Carnival sailings, definitely don't choose the Nassau and Freeport one, boring to be honest.

I do have to say the Oasis would give everybody more activities. If you flying to Ft. Lauderdale, you should go to the day before.

I know you want to go on this cruise as your son graduates, so maybe spending the extra money to have more would be the best decision, on another note you do realize you can take two cruises out of Galveston for the same price as the Oasis would cost.... just something to consider.

Just got back from the Freedom. There were LOTS of kids onboard and they all seemed very happy.

For the money you would save, I would do the Freedom and spend that money on excursions. Don't skimp on excursions! We met several people on the cruise who didn't book any because they said they couldn't afford them. Geez! We LOVED our excursions!!!!

Yes the Allure/Oasis is amazing but the OP is asking if its worth the extra 5k to go on the Oasis just so the kids have more activities...I have to say its not worth the 5k extra, the Freedom is a beautiful ship, it was also in dry dock just last year. They have given her the 2.0 upgrades.

The Magic goes to Galveston this year she has a cruise on June 7 and June 28 going to cozumel, belize, mahogany bay...then there is the Magic on June 14 or June 21 going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay.

The Magic is the sister ship to the Dream and the Dream is my favorite Carnival ship. She has more water slides, a mini golf course, a ropes course, basketball court, Cucina del Capitano complimentary italian pasta dishes for lunch and it turns into a specialty restaurant at night for a $15 p/p fee, its excellent! She also has the mongolian wok so much more than the Freedom offers, i believe you should look into the Magic, it gives you more than the Freedom and offers more and you still save the 5k!

Edited by lyndamr

Definitely find yourself a good private tour guide on the island you wish to tour, they will take you anywhere you want to go, basically they create the tour that you want, even if it were to go to the beach for awhile, snorkel, anything!

I would also go to the steakhouse and the money you would save, give the kids extra on their shipboard for the video arcade!

Yes the Allure/Oasis is amazing but the OP is asking if its worth the extra 5k to go on the Oasis just so the kids have more activities...I have to say its not worth the 5k extra, the Freedom is a beautiful ship, it was also in dry dock just last year. They have given her the 2.0 upgrades.

The Magic goes to Galveston this year she has a cruise on June 7 and June 28 going to cozumel, belize, mahogany bay...then there is the Magic on June 14 or June 21 going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay.

The Magic is the sister ship to the Dream and the Dream is my favorite Carnival ship. She has more water slides, a mini golf course, a ropes course, basketball court, Cucina del Capitano complimentary italian pasta dishes for lunch and it turns into a specialty restaurant at night for a $15 p/p fee, its excellent! She also has the mongolian wok so much more than the Freedom offers, i believe you should look into the Magic, it gives you more than the Freedom and offers more and you still save the 5k!

I agree with this.

Thanks. Very good info. We actually considered the Magic briefly earlier, but was disappointed when I saw that it was Sun-Sun. My family is very active in our church so it's very tough when we miss back to back Sundays from church. We might need to reconsider.

I would reconsider because I have to be honest here....life is too short one never knows what tomorrow brings, you have the opportunity of being together, the kids are still at home and you can go all together, the kids one day be on their own, in college perhaps somewhere else, they will have different schedules regarding school and work....take the plunge and go on the Magic (I feel this is a happy medium) but if The Freedom is your cruise, you will love her and you all will have a wonderful time and you will save that money for something else for another time. ;)

Edited by lyndamr

I would reconsider because I have to be honest here....life is too short one never knows what tomorrow brings, you have the opportunity of being together, the kids are still at home and you can go all together, the kids one day be on their own, in college perhaps somewhere else, they will have different schedules regarding school and work....take the plunge and go on the Magic (I feel this is a happy medium) but if The Freedom is your cruise, you will love her and you all will have a wonderful time and you will save that money for something else for another time. ;)

Thanks. That's the path we are on right now. Have to make deposit by Fri. Just checked. We have OS 7333 and inside cabin 7335 on hold. The boys will have their own room. Hesitated at first, but was OK with it once we were able to get them across from each other.

Thanks again for all the f/b!

I was on allure and yes wave rider is fun. But they nickel and dime you more imo than carnival. I did not like allure as they controlled where u had to be. For instance in there was something they were doing on the promenade the club you were in would close to force you outside. Also comedy show is booked months in advance before you board as well as shows. I would sail RCL. Just not oasis class

Those cabins are PERFECT! Make sure you book up the early saver if possible because if the rate goes down even two days before your cruise they honor it. You made a wonderful choice. ;)

Thanks! Right now it's Freedom with those 2 rooms. We still have 2 days in maybe talking ourselves into the Sun-Sun Magic :-). We'll see.

This is our 8th cruise - my daughter's first. We've done Carnival, several RC and Disney. It's always decisions, decisions, decisions :-), but once we are on we have a great time.

I was on allure and yes wave rider is fun. But they nickel and dime you more imo than carnival. I did not like allure as they controlled where u had to be. For instance in there was something they were doing on the promenade the club you were in would close to force you outside. Also comedy show is booked months in advance before you board as well as shows. I would sail RCL. Just not oasis class

Could you elaborate please? How does RCI nickel and dime you more?

Bill

I'm in the Houston area. Traveling with family of 5: 2 sons (18 and 15) and 3 year old daughter. Freedom our of Galveston is 2K cheaper for 2 rooms (suite won't hold 5). Since this is oldest son's graduation present (along with family summer vacation), I was willing to pay the difference, until I noticed it will be an extra 3K for 5 airline tickets. Have to make a decision soon. Is it worth the extra money for the extra activities on the Oasis or will there be enough activities for the 3 children (different ages) on the Freedom.

I know I'm asking about 2 different cruise lines, but thought I'll give it a shot.

Need to make a decision soon.

Freedom and Oasis aren't comparable ships and aren't comparable experiences, so therefore aren't comparable values. If you're wanting to make an impression with this graduation present, you can't do much better than Oasis.

Are you sure you were on Allure? :confused: The clubs do not close because something is going on in the Royal Promenade. Also, show reservations open up 90 days before the cruise (not months in advance). If you choose not to make reservations, you can still wait in the stand-by line. They always let everyone in.

I vote for Freedom. Second choice Magic, I like the Saturday to Saturday.

I didn't care for the way you have to sign up for activities on RC. You can't just walk up and get in line. If you miss the sign up, your out of luck.

People, guest and crew members are much friendlier on Carnival IMO!!!

I vote for Freedom. Second choice Magic, I like the Saturday to Saturday.

I didn't care for the way you have to sign up for activities on RC. You can't just walk up and get in line. If you miss the sign up, your out of luck.

People, guest and crew members are much friendlier on Carnival IMO!!!

If you don't sign up for any reservations there is a standby line.

After all the people with reservations get in they start letting the people in the standby line in, so you're not out of luck.

Bill