Whether to add South Pacific (12 days) to a 13 day New Zealand cruise

scm1848

We are 66 and 71 years old and in good health. We have a good house/cats sitter, and money is not the issue.

We are just trying to decide whether adding the South Pacific cruise to a NZ cruise out of Sydney is worth it. It has 6 sea days and 6 port days in New Caledonia and Fiji. While I have flown through those islands as stop overs in the 80's, and have seen much of Australia, my husband has not seen any of them.

We spend 3 weeks in Mexico each winter, so beach going is not a big thing. We do enjoy beautiful scenery. As to culture, we have also been to Tahiti, so are wondering how similar the islands might be.

We have also done a 19 day Panama Canal cruise, and enjoyed being on the ship for that length of time - our longest so far.

Any thoughts are MOST WELCOME!!! THANKS

Not sure where you are from, but am guessing from North America. If so, I wouldn't fly to and back from Australia for just a two week cruise. We enjoy the longer cruises, particularly one that starts or ends in the USA, like half of the World Cruise (56 days last year) or the previous Grand Asia cruises. That said, our next cruise in Asia is only 14 days, but we will tack on a couple of weeks in Taiwan at the end of it before returning home. I would suggest looking at the Volendam leaving Seattle on 24 September and debarking in Sydney on 19 October, or staying on and going all the way around Australia and debarking in Sydney on 21 November.

You're already there, I would stay and experience it. I've been to New Caledonia and 2 of the three stops were pretty much just beaches to relax on. Noumea (spelling?) is a bigger port and there's much more to do. All beautiful to see and explore.

Loved New Zealand and would go back in a heartbeat. Have a great cruise whatever you decide!

I'm from the east coast of the US. When I fly all the way to NZ/OZ, I spend as much time as possible there.

I thought that Fiji and New Caledonia were not the same as the French islands, except for the heat, that is. I would take the add-on cruise.

I did that trip on the Oosterdam in Nov of 2013. I loved seeing the rest of the south pacific as I had done most of the northern islands but not as far south a Fiji. Also stayed for a week in Sydney before the cruise and got to see some of Australia that I had not seen before. Love New Zealand and go back as often as I can. I also live on the east coast of USA and if I am going to spend that amount of time flying , the longer the trip the better.

You are there, do it!

Mexico beach/time, while awesome, isn't the same as South Pacific beach/time.

If the $ isn't a concern, you've traveled there already so just take the time.

Oh yeah, when you're in Australia proper be sure to take in Portal.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_(Australian_band)

Just trust me on it... they are WORTH it.

We sailed Volendam CA to Sydney and stopped in New Caledonia Lifou (a paradise beach) and Noumea (important city with much history), Vanuatu, Pago Pago and Fiji on the way. We enjoyed some stops more than others but in addition to the beauty, we especially enjoyed the experience of the history and culture in a part of the world we hadn't visited before.

What a great chance to experience a new part of the world for you both! Enjoy it all. m--

My philosophy is very simple. The longer the cruise the better! Even if it is all days at sea (we love sea days) we always try to opt for longer rather then shorter.

Hank

I'm with those who say : Go for it & take both cruises..

You are both much younger than DH & I & the longer the cruise the better for us.. We did a 68 day cruise around South America & Antarctica two years ago & loved it! Even though we had been in many of the same cities before, for longer periods of time, we completely enjoyed different things on our cruise..

I'm also with those who said to spend a few days in Sydney.. Haven't been there since the 70's, but it's one of my favorite cities in the world..Someday hope to go back there again..

Although not a big fan of heat or Fiji, I would say go for it!

Lovely sea days and your first cruise is way too short!

totally agree. Sea days can be very nice.

and no way would I do that flying from where I am for that short a period of time. Go for both. you went regret it.

Next year we are doing the South Pacific for 34 days, and trust me there are some sea days there. We are really looking forward to it.

totally agree. Sea days can be very nice.

and no way would I do that flying from where I am for that short a period of time. Go for both. you went regret it.

Next year we are doing the South Pacific for 34 days, and trust me there are some sea days there. We are really looking forward to it.

Kazu

You are right: I meant to note that to fly that far for a short cruise is not something we ever do. Really a pain in the neck for so little time on the ship!

Your Tahiti cruise will be, undoubtedly, a super cruise! We did our first Tahiti on the Westerdam and LOVED every minute of it.

Lazy sea days can be taken over with lectures and classes on this cruise, so watch it!

Glad you are looking forward to it!

Edited by SilvertoGold