Whats the best & cheapest way to see snow / ice

webzila

What is the best / cheapest way to see some snow and ice on a cruise to Alaska in July with stops at Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway? (Juneau stop is not very long)

We see excursions that take you to glaciers by helicopter for trekking and/or dog sledding. That looks cool but most of them are priced close to $500 pp. That is a little over my budget.

Are there any other options to get close to snow and ice at these stops in July?

You can "see" ice from a distance on your glacier sailing day or taking a shuttle bus to Mendenhall. You will have NO access from the Visitor Center side.

Basic single glacier landing helicopter tours are less than $500.

You are too late for snow. You can see snow, by walking, if you change your sailing to May.

Alright, let me rephrase. How do we touch ice or snow? There are expensive dog sledding excursions (not the sleds with wheels) so there has to be snow for that somewhere? Otherwise I don't understand what those excursions are...

I know it's not Alaska, but if you're coming into Seattle early you might consider a day trip to Mount Rainier. There was more snow than in any of the Alaska ports. We booked a tour through Tours Northwest that picked us up right at our hotel. I have some photos online at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2098938 (Mount Rainier starts at post #6). As you will see in the pictures, we were wearing shorts and tees - but there was a fair amount of snow. We did a relatively easy hike, but you could do more difficult hikes toward the glaciers that involved going through a lot of snow. You do need the right gear for that type of hike, though.

First off, I have not been on my trip yet, but I'm doing a little research. Someone said there may be snow at Byron Glacier. It is a short hike.

So if you will be in Anchorage. Here is the information about Byron Glacier, it is in Girdwood. http://www.alaska.org/detail/byron-glacier-trail

If you don't have a rental car, I don't know how to get there, but you could ask here.

I just read your title of this thread and my reply would be, just come and pay us a visit here in NY. You can see it, touch it , feel it and take home as much as you want. And it will be loads cheaper than going to Alaska. LOL

Thank God we have had some warm weather so a lot has been melting, but we still have plenty to go around for anyone who wants to see it or touch it.

:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Alright, let me rephrase. How do we touch ice or snow? There are expensive dog sledding excursions (not the sleds with wheels) so there has to be snow for that somewhere? Otherwise I don't understand what those excursions are...

Yes, there is snow- with a fly in via glacier flight.

A regular landing is around $300 per person.

I just read your title of this thread and my reply would be, just come and pay us a visit here in NY. You can see it, touch it , feel it and take home as much as you want. And it will be loads cheaper than going to Alaska. LOL

Thank God we have had some warm weather so a lot has been melting, but we still have plenty to go around for anyone who wants to see it or touch it.

:D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Len, I had to laugh reading this. I switched out the Jeep for the Mazda this week for the first time since mid-January. And I even gave the Mazda a bath today. We still have lots of snow here in upstate NY and the Thruway was loaded with skiers today taking a long weekend. The dog is tracking in mud now. I won't miss the snow at all. :p

What is the best / cheapest way to see some snow and ice on a cruise to Alaska in July with stops at Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway? (Juneau stop is not very long)

We see excursions that take you to glaciers by helicopter for trekking and/or dog sledding. That looks cool but most of them are priced close to $500 pp. That is a little over my budget.

Are there any other options to get close to snow and ice at these stops in July?

My thoughts....

• look for a cruise that goes into Glacier Bay.... there's 4 to 5 glaciers calving there regularly.
  • yes go to the Mendenhal visitor centre. They bring up chunks of glacier to the visitor centre. I don't think there's anyone to stop you from putting your tongue on it.
  • If departing from Vancouver, go on a trip to Whistler and check out the peaks. You can make snowballs there... perhaps even a snow angel.
  • I hear some cruise ships bring up chunks of ice onto the deck. Not sure which ones does this.
  • does the hotel fridge have ice?

Edited by xlxo

Thanks for the responses 😄

I grew up in an area where it snows in the winter but moved to south Texas when I was 12 so haven't been around any real snow for about 20 years.

So I figured if we are going up north then might as well look into possibilities of being around some.

FWIW, this has been an unusual year for snowfall here in the PNW. There is no snow for skiing at local ski areas. I seem to recall a friend posting photos to FB from Whistler and barely any snow there either. Mt. Rainier has been "out" lately and I noticed how high the snow level is compared to this time most years. If there's not much snow here now, don't expect to find much in July!

It's supposed to get up to 70 here today! :D

FWIW, this has been an unusual year for snowfall here in the PNW. There is no snow for skiing at local ski areas. I seem to recall a friend posting photos to FB from Whistler and barely any snow there either. Mt. Rainier has been "out" lately and I noticed how high the snow level is compared to this time most years. If there's not much snow here now, don't expect to find much in July!

It's supposed to get up to 70 here today! :D

Here's a link to the webcam at Mount Rainier's Visitor Center:

http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/webcam/dsp_webcam_image.cfm?&webCam=56868082F6D1C0684BC473899D0AF3784984E6619EACCFAF9ABC5F97B6158806D5F39090899C&thumbnail=56868082F6D1C0684BC473899D0AF3784984E67B94BCCDE19BAA1388B7489941DDEFD189948E970BC59E12018F9FD8928A5BBE564453DA8F804FBB93AB77B892930285A888B1938BBED2D4BF9E&refreshRate=30&title=689B879BB8919D3F7FD63393880B&width=1024&height=576&altText=729D9B99A590883F4BD62E93CD0DB2684780AD36B1AFCFA584A01CDA8F0E9A40C6F4CCDABA9E950BC981570492DEA79A955BBD5A441982C6A74EBA91BB7ABC958B47879F93AD89C6A89DD5AA97D9818B5883D9BB9C97E98E96B8ADAC73CBA0DD1331FC6AF6DC8380D7FE4815D4ECC6A8DCF2&description=7FD2829BA989CF705A93298F8859977E4599BA7995EEFAA784A60695AB47AA4CDCEFDB88D99A8F5FFC9205048297849EC9&parkID=/

The snowpack level is about what we would expect in June. I anticipate no easily accessible snow during the summer months. We live close enough to the Mountain for easy day trips and have not been able to enjoy our usual snow ventures this winter.

I hear Vancouver's watershed snowpack is only 15% of normal. Even the Orca's are migrating there in the warm weather!

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/12/killer-whales-vancouver-orcas_n_6859370.html

Orca's live year round in the waters off British Columbia; what was different about this pod is that they decided to take a look inside Burrard Inlet and Stanley Park instead of staying out in open water.

The dog sledding excursions are expensive because they fly you onto a glacier. The snow is on the glacier.

We still have snow in Delaware, but it's melting fast.:)