I never thought I would EVER jump ship for Carnival...BUT

BopRN

I'm also seriously considering the Breeze for next May ONLY because of its unique caribbean itinerary. I love RCCL and yes, it's my favorite product, but just like you, I'm tired of the same old, same old caribbean itineraries.

I can't believe I'm looking back at Carnival since after my last Carnival cruise I swore: "No more Carnival!!!", but how many times can you repeat the same ports??? Good luck OP!

The breeze has a great 8 night cruise. We are trying the oasis in June but I just love the breeze.

Definitively a bit more variety in Caribbean ports with departures from FL. You'll love the Oasis BTW!;)

Our first ever cruise was last year on the Carnival Sunshine. We enjoyed it a lot more than we did the Serenade. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time on the Serenade, but a lot better time on the Sunshine. Food was way better. I'm not a big buffet eater and the Sunshine has a ton of food options that are all included.

Four out of our first five cruises were on Carnival and then we switched to RCI. We just got off Carnival Sunshine a month ago and will be sticking with RCI. Friends had invited us to go with them so we did. While Carnival was "okay", it was a different experience and we decided we much prefer RCI. It has a much to do with the clientele as the cruise experience itself. We used to say the two lines were more similar than not. We've since decided that is not true. We will not be going on Carnival again.

Back from our 2nd RCCL cruise on the Jewel (last one was in 2004). Overall I'd say the differences are:

Carnival staterooms are a bit larger. RCCL has shower doors instead of curtains, which make the shower seem smaller (you could soap the walls and spin). And the decor is much different. No pink and turquoise disco theme anywhere to be found lol.

Food was better on RCCL, though the selection seemed smaller. We had no problem finding something we liked - just seemed like the menu was smaller. Windjammer set up was MUCH better on RCCL. Again, less variety, but better quality.

Shows were way better on RCCL, but I missed the Carnival comedy club. There was a comedian on the Jewel who was really, really good, but it's not a nightly event. Carnival comedy club has comedians who think the F bomb makes everything funny. I'm not a prude, but there does have to be some content, not just swearing.

Not much for on board activities on port days - so it was really quiet when we stayed on board. No on board announcements - NONE. While I didn't miss the CD droning on and on, I did miss the concerts that Carnival showed by the pool and the poolside trivia.

No 24/7 pizza (DH was horrified by this) and no 24/7 ice cream.

Overall we had a great time, it was just quieter than we were used to. Oh - and no hairest chested man contest - but there was a belly flop contest - so guess they are even for that.

I find myself recommending a couple of Carnival itineraries to my daughter for her 2016 honeymoon. The cruises available for her dates are both better and SIGNIFICANTLY less costly on Carnival. She can do a six day out of Miami on the Breeze for just $559 per person OV cabin. If they can swing flying to San Juan, they can do a 7 night southern Caribbean for just $589/pp OV. Can't get anywhere NEAR those prices on Royal.

I just did! We have gotten SO bored with the RCCL Caribbean itineraries..... and just decided we needed a change! Celebrity didn't have ANY sailings we could do..... which would have been our first choice..... so we are now booked on the Carnival Dream in August. :eek:

Sadly, we are going to do the same. We have the Navigator booked for this fall that we are planning on keeping partly because we got a good price and partly because we have to use up the future cruise credit we purchased before they ruined that program.

For us there are several things that we are concerned about. #1 on the list is these supposed WOW sales that jack up the prices. I hate being played as a fool and it really does irk me when a company is trying to fool me into thinking I'm getting something that I'm not. If you want to put prices up then do it but don't pretend there's some sale that isn't there.

Secondly is the quality of food in the MDR. It has gone down noticeably in our opinion. Its still passable but not to the quality they used to have and when you see the prices they are asking? Nope. Sorry. It doesn't compute.

Add to that the recent increase in prices for Chops and Giovanni with (in my opinion) a decrease in service, especially at Chops.

Its time to take our dollars elsewhere after the NOS. We're seriously considering the Breeze 8 day Eastern next February and we'll likely do specialty dining at least 4 or 5 nights. Its time for a change anyway. We took a hiatus from RCI back in 2008 for a few years which was good for us. Got to experience NCL which pleasantly surprised us and we did a few Carnival as well. When we came back to RCI a few years later it was like coming home again. Hopefully that will repeat again.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I was considering a cruise with Carnival for next summer (2016) until I found out that you do not get a cash back refund if you cancel even if you cancel before the final payment.

Shak

Edited by Shak

I was considering a cruise with Carnival for next summer until I found out that you do not get a cash back refund if you cancel even if you cancel before the final payment.

Shak

I believe that is the case if you book with Carnival's Early Saver program. However, I don't believe that is the case with their normal booking program.

I believe that is the case if you book with Carnival's Early Saver program. However, I don't believe that is the case with their normal booking program.

That is true but I am not aware of any RCL policy like that. The normal booking process is much more expensive too. Carnival will give you credit if you cancel and rebook within a year I think. You don't know that by going through normal looking either unless you click "Learn More". The booking process also doesn't give Normal Pricing, you have to call for that rate. I'll stick with RCI.

Shak

Edited by Shak

I just did! We have gotten SO bored with the RCCL Caribbean itineraries..... and just decided we needed a change! Celebrity didn't have ANY sailings we could do..... which would have been our first choice..... so we are now booked on the Carnival Dream in August. :eek:

Enjoy the Dream. My husband and I sailed on the Dream 2011. It was one of my top five cruises. At that time, the ship was about a year old. The staff and food were great, we had a balcony cabin on the lido deck. Our cabin was literally outside of the lido deck and there was no noise issues at all.

I hear what you're saying about changing cruise lines. We finally booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise for next year. Looking forward to it. I was to sailed on a Disney cruise last October. It was nice to have something to compare. Disney does go above and beyond but I still will continue to sail on Carnival. :)

Edited by Hawaii697

We're emerald and have the Navigator booked for the fall and we're keeping that. But for next February we have decided on the Getaway. It came down to the Getaway or the Breeze. We did consider RCI ships but our impression is that food quality has slipped on RCI, even in places like Chops where we could always be assured of a really top notch dining experience. Add to that the increase in price for these places and RCI has pushed us away for now.

We actually booked the Breeze yesterday - Canadian prices came in at almost $2200. I called NCL today and, like RCI, they are offering Canadian prices at only 10% exchange. We were able to land the Getaway for $1700 Can. $500 difference is far too much to pass up considering we've always enjoyed NCL and found food on Carnival so-so at times.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

The Dream is a good ship. We booked a balcony spa cabin a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. We had never used the spa before and really enjoyed it. We were in the Thalassotherapy Pool every single day! The only area I think Carnival lacks in is entertainment. The production shows are not that entertaining after you have seen them over and over again. We have been sailing on RC lately. That does not mean I would not return to Carnival but, I like exploring my options.

Edited by Cinders411

That is true but I am not aware of any RCL policy like that. The normal booking process is much more expensive too. Carnival will give you credit if you cancel and rebook within a year I think. You don't know that by going through normal looking either unless you click "Learn More". The booking process also doesn't give Normal Pricing, you have to call for that rate. I'll stick with RCI.

Shak

Just to elaborate, it's true that the Early Saver fare comes with a nonrefundable deposit ($50 pp fee to make changes--the rest of the deposit is held by the Carnival and can be used on your next cruise within the stated timeframe), but with that you get any price drops up to 2 days prior to sailing. The Early Saver fare is fantastic if you are reasonably sure of your ship and sail date. Other fare options on Carnival are refundable but they only give you price matches up until final payment. The Early Saver rate gets you a reduction for any price fare you would otherwise be entitled to--it doesn't have to be labeled "early saver." For instance, if you are entitled to the senior rate or a resident rate and that rate is less than what you paid (all the way up to 2 days prior to sail date), you fill out the online form and get the difference--comes off your balance if you are prior to final payment date or you get an OBC if you are beyond final payment due date. Early Saver is entirely optional and does come with some restrictions--but lots of people have used it and love it. We sometimes book Early Saver and other times not, depending on our situation. Early Saver is not always the cheapest (we've gotten some special prices through VIFP/past guest promotions that were cheaper), and they have other special rates that are closer to sail date once Early Saver is no longer available--Early Saver expires about 5 months prior to sail date on 7-day cruises--that's why it's called -Early- Saver.

Trying new ships and cruise lines can be a fun experience. We decided to try RCI a few years ago after many with CCL. The Dream is a nice ship. I haven't cruised on it yet, but I did get to take a tour. The pics are linked in my signature I you want to check them out.

I hear you. I love RCCL but we are also bored with the same. Carnival does have different island and itinerary and cheaper. Have fun.

Just to elaborate, it's true that the Early Saver fare comes with a nonrefundable deposit ($50 pp fee to make changes--the rest of the deposit is held by the Carnival and can be used on your next cruise within the stated timeframe), but with that you get any price drops up to 2 days prior to sailing. The Early Saver fare is fantastic if you are reasonably sure of your ship and sail date. Other fare options on Carnival are refundable but they only give you price matches up until final payment. The Early Saver rate gets you a reduction for any price fare you would otherwise be entitled to--it doesn't have to be labeled "early saver." For instance, if you are entitled to the senior rate or a resident rate and that rate is less than what you paid (all the way up to 2 days prior to sail date), you fill out the online form and get the difference--comes off your balance if you are prior to final payment date or you get an OBC if you are beyond final payment due date. Early Saver is entirely optional and does come with some restrictions--but lots of people have used it and love it. We sometimes book Early Saver and other times not, depending on our situation. Early Saver is not always the cheapest (we've gotten some special prices through VIFP/past guest promotions that were cheaper), and they have other special rates that are closer to sail date once Early Saver is no longer available--Early Saver expires about 5 months prior to sail date on 7-day cruises--that's why it's called -Early- Saver.

Lisa thanks for elaborating on Carnival policy. I mistakenly thought all cruise lines bookings were similar but as I found out Carnival for one is not.

My real objection the Early Saver is that they mask it. More and more hotels offer refundable and non refundable room now but they are upfront about it. Both prices are usually listed in the quotes.

I also discovered Carnival deposits are per person and not per room so that adds more expenses at risk. Having said that I have not taken a cruise I have booked but it is nice to know I have an out if something comes up especially since I was looking at a cruise almost a year and a half out.

Thanks again

Shak