Splash academy 10-12 years and 3-5 years

umbrino

We just got off breakaway today. Been on 4 carnival cruises and this was our first on ncl. We did not like splash academy, my 12 year old had to stay a min of 2 hours before she could sign herself out. Hard to plan any adult time if you had to go back and get her in a hour or so. She also said it was very babyish for her her age. Went once and never again.

5 year old complained that there were never any toys to play with at night, it was all games and you had to play them.

They liked carnival better, lots of fun activities and crafts to make.

My kids had the same issues. Although they put the 10-12 yr olds in with the 5-9 yr olds. Our 12 yr old went once or twice then spent the rest of his evenings with us, because he was bored to tears. I hope the improve the activities before our next NCL cruise in 2016.

This totally bums me out! We have a 4 and 8 year old and just got off their first cruise - it was RCCL and they LOVED LOVED LOVED Adventure Ocean.....we are trying to plan future vacations and have been considering an NCL cruise in 2016 or 2017...but the kids club being awesome and have easy sign out for my oldest (he will be 10 or 11) will be a necessity for us to make the jump from Royal....but I really want the ropes course and slides NCL offers!! Fingers crossed!

There is only one way to tell whether your kids will like any kids club, which is to try it out.

This is one thing where other people's experiences really aren't that relevant. The variety in opinions makes food reviews look like the greatest consensus ever.

My kids never liked clubs when they were the oldest in the group (especially Tweens, even on DCL). Two have been in the teen club, and loved it!

I think Tweens are tough to please. When my dd was 7, she loved the HAL kids club even though she was the oldest in her age group and was practically helping babysit the younger kids. At age 10, she looked forward to the Breakaway Splash Academy, but never took to it, I think in part because the sailings we were on were packed with kids and it was a bit unruly. You never know, but always good to try. I will be thrilled if my dd likes it at age 12, but I won't be surprised if she bails on it.

I think Tweens are tough to please. When my dd was 7, she loved the HAL kids club even though she was the oldest in her age group and was practically helping babysit the younger kids. At age 10, she looked forward to the Breakaway Splash Academy, but never took to it, I think in part because the sailings we were on were packed with kids and it was a bit unruly. You never know, but always good to try. I will be thrilled if my dd likes it at age 12, but I won't be surprised if she bails on it.

That's what I'm scared of. DD is just 7 and so far she's never been in a cruise or kids club that she didn't love.

I know it is going to be tougher to please her as she becomes older.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My kid used to love the kids club. He is now an almost 12 y/o and not as crazy about it. We homeschool and tend to travel at off times, so he doesn't like it when they combine the 6-12 y/o. He would much rather hang with the 13 y/o kids, but that is not allowed on NCL.

I take the blame for taking him on way too many cruises. He said in January that it was just boring because it was the same stuff he has done on every cruise. Now we were on the Getaway, so tons to do outside of the kids club and we all had an amazing time.

2 years ago, we were on Carnival and he hated their kids club. It was a short cruise and the club was very disorganized. They would list an activity and location and then he would go and no one was there. He'd go to the area where the younger kids were and they would say, Oh, we changed our minds and are meeting "X" Basically he never knew where to go to find the activities he wanted, because they never followed the published schedule. He was 10 at the time. He did like that Carnival allowed him to sign in and out at his will. So if he found the activity, he would do it, then sign out after it was over. He doesn't really like the NCL 2 hour rule

My daughter has been cruising since she was 3 years old (she's now 6) and we cruise around 2 times a year (with last year squeezing in 3 and hopefully the same this year). She absolutely LOVES the kids club. She begs to go there, whines when we pick her up and can't wait to get back.

I think that it is great there. They have a different "theme" every day and do tons of different things related to that theme. One day can be Prince and Princess day...they make things related to that, wear them during the parade that evening around the ship, and everything related to that. Another day is Pirate day...treasure hunt around the ship...and so on.

The people they have in the kids club on NCL are not just people they hire off the street because they applied. These people have degrees in childhood _____whatever...psychology, teaching, child behavior and so on. Some have multiple degrees.

They sing and dance, they have parties, they face paint, they have open gym, play games together, crafts and arts, just so many different things. Then they also have a circus day were they perform for the parents and the ship in the theater on the last sea day.

Now I can say we have only done 1 Carnival cruise (have another one coming up in 19 days) and it was the absolute worse experience ever. Even my daughter begged not to go several times. I was real disappointed and hoping that it was an isolated incidence...however I did read other complaints around the time we went. :(

I agree, OP, I took a 13, 10, and 8 yo on the Getaway last April, and they didn't like it at all. All 3 went the first night for a little bit, and then we made our own fun for the rest of the cruise, there was plenty to do. But as I sailed without my husband, I had been hopeful they would have liked it, at least a little bit, lol

My 13 year old did not like it because the other teens on our sailing were older so she felt uncomfortable, my 8 year old was annoyed that she had to be with 6 year olds and my 11 year old thought it was babyish and too many kids

I am primarily picking a Carnival cruise this year because my 9 year old will be in the "bigger" kid age group, on NCL she is still in the 6-9. So we will see

We had a great cruise on the Getaway, but did not use the kids programs

My kids have loved both Camp Carnival and Splash Academy.

My youngest had some issues the very first time at Camp Carnival but she was 2! We have the Escape planned next year and the Breeze next month. The oldest will be 10 on Escape so we shall see how she responds then.

Now they are looking forward to Carnival's new Camp Ocean next month.

My kids loved the kids club on the Jewel, but hated the breakaway. I came back to my 8 year old **** down and sobbing and my 11 year old begging to never go there again.... It was such a disappointment after good experiences on the jewel. I also hate the windowless room and there was no stuff. All the games centered around pop culture which my kids hadn't really been exposed to.

I also hate the windowless room

I notice the new escape has the Splash Academy on Deck 5 and it is larger in size from GA and BA's on deck 16.

Perhaps it has more windows and natural light and will correct some of the other kids club's weaknesses.