Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

I have not defended the policy. I have said I have no issue with it and that no one know the facts, but all these loyal customers of NCL will vilify them before know 100 percent what is really happening. Do you know that the specialty restaurant servers are included in the DSC, before or since the change came into effect, if so, please show us some proof. Also, I now believe that some of the really disgruntled poster might be employed by a competitor of NCL....hasn't one cruise line been mentioned numerous times as the cruise line to go to????? Because would someone really be that upset about something that they have no idea what is really going on. And you haven't been on both threads complaining about it....hmmmmmm!

Time to get over yourself and read who we were refering to with this comment. HINT: IT WASNT YOU. This entire post of yours is because you seem to lack reading comprehension. We were talking about Hawk.

6&8

I'm really smart and that is why I don't condemn a company before I have the facts.

If someone will show me proof (which I have asked for over and over again) of all the defaming things they are saying about NCL (taking this money to their bottom line, not giving it all to their employees, etc.), I'll be more than happy to eat crow.

As of now, no one has any proof or knowledge of what is going on.

Indeed, there are two conversations going on here. One being what NCL does with the DSC/auto-grats (we have no facts) and the other being why there is auto-grats alongside the DSC (we have facts).

I believe one topic has more merit than the other. I'll let you decide which one.

Edited by triptolemus

I'm really smart and that is why I don't condemn a company before I have the facts.

If someone will show me proof (which I have asked for over and over again) of all the defaming things they are saying about NCL (taking this money to their bottom line, not giving it all to their employees, etc.), I'll be more than happy to eat crow.

They were absolutely included in the DSC or they would have made that clear. Specialty servers are typically the better of the servers. The Terms clearly say that servers are included in the DSC. They Do not exclude the specialty servers so it is on YOU to provide proof to the contrary. It is very clear that the servers are included and to try and confuse the situation by implying otherwise is silly.

6&8

Royal plays similar games it's just with the cruise fares instead of DSC.

I cancelled our RCI cruise for next month and went to Princess.

Bill

Honestly, I don't care about promotions or sales because 1) of the vacation policy at my job where I put it in weeks / months in advance. And 2) playing the low-price roulette rarely works in my favor.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

They were absolutely included in the DSC or they would have made that clear. Specialty servers are typically the better of the servers. The Terms clearly say that servers are included in the DSC. They Do not exclude the specialty servers so it is on YOU to provide proof to the contrary. It is very clear that the servers are included and to try and confuse the situation by implying otherwise is silly.

6&8

I know this has been posted a million times already ... but ... here it is again.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

As I have stated on this forum before in tipping threads that I USUALLY stay out of I could not care less about what the servers or anyone else at NCL make. Never have. Never will.

For me it's getting a tip thrown at me that is mandatory. I may or may not tip that much. I might tip less. I doubt if I would tip more than 18%. BUT...it should be my choice. There is nothing in this new procedure that is "CONVENIENT" for me as NCL states.

When I was on the Star last year I spoke about the DSC to my server at breakfast one day in Cagney's. She told me she is a part of the DSC and that she's assigned to a specialty restaurant for a specific amount of weeks then goes back to the MDR. For this period that I spoke with her she was assigned to Cagney's for breakfast, lunch, and at dinner.

On my Sun cruise in February we weren't in a suite. I spoke to my server one night at LeBistro. He said that he's been assigned to work at LeBistro for a specific amount of time in the evenings and during the days he goes where his schedule tells him to go, be it the MDR, Buffet, or the 24 hour restaurant. He, also, stated that he was a part of the DSC pool.

I can only go on what I was told.

Harriet

Thank you Harriet. It is very simply to see and understand that they are included in the DSC. Why some of these posters are having such a hard time accepting the truth is beyond me.

6&8

I know this has been posted a million times already ... but ... here it is again.

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

There is your proof. In plain Black and white from the DSC terms. Thank you SissasMomE. Maybe now the people trying to confuse the situation will accept the facts...

6&8

I wasn't calling you a name, and definitely wasn't trying to offend you. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Someone else had posted here that the wait staff are part of the DSC. I don't think that was ever in question. What I asked previously, and NCL has not answered, was - has the wait staff in the specialty restaurants been removed from the DSC pool? and if so, is that the only place they are working now? If not, then "we" are tipping twice, and it's not right. Most people here do tip extra, or at least, they say they do ... but for NCL to mandate this just does not sit right with me at all.

Thank you, but it really is insulting, because I don't jump on the bandwagon against NCL before having all the facts, that you would assume that I work for them. Some of us have been told that crew can keep cash tips, but one person keeps telling us we are wrong, but has no proof that they are correct. Could it be that some crew members tell customers that the cash tips are pooled, so that possibly the passenger will give them more knowing they won't get it all....who knows, but the fact is no one know the real deal.

Didn't someone call NCL and they said that the specialty restaurant servers were not part of the DSC and everyone basically said NCL was lying. And you are correct, if they are part of the DSC (getting 100% of what those not working in specialty restaurants are getting), that is an issue. But we don't know if prior to the change, they were getting any or a portion of the DSC (with NCL thinking that tips buy passengers would make up the difference). I am not the kind of person to start calling company names or telling everyone how they do their business (when no one know), I like to wait and get the facts and then decide if I want to do business with them. Everyone is so upset over something, they have no details on and that is really sad.

Problem is that this isn't a court of law...nobody needs to provide evidence and proof of anything.

A message board is only the personal knowledge, experiences, and opinions of individuals. Nothing more.

Likewise, it isn't a schoolyard either where running around repeating "prove it" serves as valid discussion.

Thank you, but it really is insulting, because I don't jump on the bandwagon against NCL before having all the facts, that you would assume that I work for them. Some of us have been told that crew can keep cash tips, but one person keeps telling us we are wrong, but has no proof that they are correct. Could it be that some crew members tell customers that the cash tips are pooled, so that possibly the passenger will give them more knowing they won't get it all....who knows, but the fact is no one know the real deal.

Didn't someone call NCL and they said that the specialty restaurant servers were not part of the DSC and everyone basically said NCL was lying. And you are correct, if they are part of the DSC (getting 100% of what those not working in specialty restaurants are getting), that is an issue. But we don't know if prior to the change, they were getting any or a portion of the DSC (with NCL thinking that tips buy passengers would make up the difference). I am not the kind of person to start calling company names or telling everyone how they do their business (when no one know), I like to wait and get the facts and then decide if I want to do business with them. Everyone is so upset over something, they have no details on and that is really sad.

If you look back at this thread MANY people confirmed they were told cash tips were pooled. I think it is you that is alone thinking they are not.....also the proof you have been dying for was just posted. Let see how you respond when presented with the facts you so desperately needed.

6&8

6&8

Were is the operative word. Did they receive 100% of their wages from the DSC or just a portion, with the other portion to be made up with tips from the specialty restaurant? Which ever, it is really a moot point now.

The question now is, do they receive all their entire wages from the DSC and the 18 percent tip is on top of that or do they received a portion (since some, but not all work at other locations during breakfast and lunch) of their wages from the DSC and the rest from the tips in the specialty restaurants or do they now not receive anything from the DSC and all their wages come from the specialty restaurant tips? I don't think anyone knows the answers and to say one does at this point, since the change just happened, is silly.

Were is the operative word. Did they receive 100% of their wages from the DSC or just a portion, with the other portion to be made up with tips from the specialty restaurant? Which ever, it is really a moot point now.

The question now is, do they receive all their entire wages from the DSC and the 18 percent tip is on top of that or do they received a portion (since some, but not all work at other locations during breakfast and lunch) of their wages from the DSC and the rest from the tips in the specialty restaurants or do they now not receive anything from the DSC and all their wages come from the specialty restaurant tips? I don't think anyone knows the answers and to say one does at this point, since the change just happened, is silly.

Talking to you is useless. You keep saying the same crap over and over even when presented with more and more facts. Clearly nothing will convince you and that to me shows that clearly you have some reason to be defending this policy and NCL for making it. Look up a few posts and you will see the appropriate line form the Terms. Servers are included in the DSC. If you can not even accept the line directly from NCL then NOTHING will convince you.

EDIT: I will even help you because I know reading is hard sometime:

Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

There is your proof. In plain Black and white from the DSC terms. Thank you SissasMomE. Maybe now the people trying to confuse the situation will accept the facts...

6&8

I can't believe NCL is allowing this to continue like this. I would think they would want to clarify this at once ... unless, of course, they are double dipping. Then I can understand the silence.

If you look back at this thread MANY people confirmed they were told cash tips were pooled. I think it is you that is alone thinking they are not.....also the proof you have been dying for was just posted. Let see how you respond when presented with the facts you so desperately needed.

6&8

OMG, but on other tipping threads many, many have confirmed that cash tips are not pooled, not to mention I've been told it by crew.

Yes, it said restaurant staff is included, but was the specialty restaurant staff getting the same, they could have been under the old system or not, but what are they getting under the new system. A poster said NCL said they are not included and what did posters on here do, say they lied.

Why the need to be so confrontational? I just don't get it. Lighten up, go take a walk, plan your next cruise.

Geez, I've never seen such a bunch grumpy people in my life. Life is too short for a bunch of nonsense. If I were to run into you on a ship would you be as grumpy or is that just your online persona?

All of the people that I have met from this board on ships have been wonderful people. I just don't get it.

Talking to you is useless. You keep saying the same crap over and over even when presented with more and more facts. Clearly nothing will convince you and that to me shows that clearly you have some reason to be defending this policy and NCL for making it. Look up a few posts and you will see the appropriate line form the Terms. Servers are included in the DSC. If you can not even accept the line directly from NCL then NOTHING will convince you.

EDIT: I will even help you because I know reading is hard sometime:

Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

6&8

Talking to you is useless. You keep saying the same crap over and over even when we don't know the real facts surrounding the new policy. Hint, don't respond to me and I won't respond to you.

If you want to be rude, what goes around comes around.

And NCL told another poster that the specialty restaurant servers are not included in the DSC - do you think this changed happened because of the new gratuity hmmmmm!!!!

OMG, but on other tipping threads many, many have confirmed that cash tips are not pooled, not to mention I've been told it by crew.

Yes, it said restaurant staff is included, but was the specialty restaurant staff getting the same, they could have been under the old system or not, but what are they getting under the new system. A poster said NCL said they are not included and what did posters on here do, say they lied.

I was told by management on the ship that cash tips are pooled when I tried to get them to track down someone for me to give a cash tip. They said that I could leave it with them as all cash tips are pooled.

Even when given the facts you asked for you still cant accept them...I am done talking with you. I just hope that your BS does not confuse others as to what is really happening.

They are being asked to tip twice for the same service.

If you are happy to do that then FINE, why not get off this thread and allow the other people to discuss it. You have really pulled this thread off topic by trying to push the (MADE UP) idea that specialty servers are not included in the DSC, when it is very clear from the TOS they are.

6&8

25 pages of this! On another message board I frequent this is what's known as a DSF! Damn StreetFight!

It's clear you have nothing of value to add to the conversation in this thread, the other thread, or your other forum

Nicely done!

I can't believe NCL is allowing this to continue like this. I would think they would want to clarify this at once ... unless, of course, they are double dipping. Then I can understand the silence.

Who wouldn't be peeve at NCL- What's the point of DSC for specialty waitstaff if they're getting an additional 18% on top of it? Either they get paid like bar staff who are not part of DSC with their 18% or remove the automatic tip from the cover charge. It just principle - there should be no double dipping just like what's done with bar staff.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

No one can convince me that specialty waitstaff was not part of the dsc. I would think no one would want to work there. If they are being removed from the DSC, then the DSC should not have been raised. I think I can almost buy into this if they didn't raise the DSC before this new gratuity. If they ever do make the DSC not adjustable that's when I will cancel my cruise. Makes one wonder if the DSC was raised to get people to prepay so fewer people can adjust onboard.

Edited by SJ