Auto Gratuity At Specialty Restaurant Implemented

Was this supposed to be cleaver? Because its not. A salary job and a service job are entirely different things. You know what they say about sarcasm and wit right.....

6&8

Indeed...they're the sign of an intelligent mind. :D

As for your contention, I disagree entirely. You start with this absurd principle that people who work certain jobs you disdain, only deserve to be compensated on some mix of salary & incentive.

Based on what?

And the notion that a secure well-paying "service" job is less desirable than an underpaid but with potential for variable incentive job is misguided.

I don't think too many here would be that annoyed if NCL just jacked their prices, with the explanation that We just want to make more money from you. We understand that relationship -- they want to make more, we want to pay less. That's why we search for best possible prices, and come to CC to be the best possible educated consumers, to save money and get the best deal.

One could make the case that by denying NCL extra cash by not being sloppy consumers, we are "hurting" workers, because the more money NCL gets, the more likely some of it will trickle down to the workers. Some here have come pretty close to making this point, actually.

But most of us would reject this argument, because there's ample evidence that the way corporations work in the real world is: wages are set by the market for labor, and anything the corporation is able to make over that stays with the corporation. In the real world, and especially since the corporate takeover since the 1980s, "trickle down" is a fraud. It doesn't happen.

So there's an adversarial relationship between workers and management, and between customers and corporation. Everybody wants to get more and to give less. It's just a fact of life, certainly here in the belly of late-model capitalism.

As I've already posted I don't think there's really "double dipping" going on, because NCL, like all modern mega-corporations, is too smart to let that happen. Their workers are not going to be receiving, ultimately, anything more than the market for labor dictates they get, except for slight fluctuations on the margin -- some companies ARE (marginally) better than others.

It's the price hike WITH THE STATED REASON that it's "for the workers" (or even more absurdly, for OUR convenience!) that is borderline infuriating. As somebody said, that's bovine feces! The workers will not be receiving anything like the full value of these recent increases. NCL will either just grab it, or more likely use various accounting tricks to shave corresponding amounts from worker base pay. My bet is their labor contracts have a variety of outs (call them "levers"?) that permit NCL to adjust pay.

Those who actually believe that workers will gain anything from this are deluded, polyannas, and wearing the rosiest of spectacles. The recent lay offs and firings provide a very significant clue as to how the new NCL management team intends to treat their workers.

Feel free to pay the DSC, the auto-grats, and any other charges NCL sees fit. Others, including myself, may well avail ourselves of our rights under the Contract to REDUCE the amount of money we pay the corporation, by adjusting DSC. DSC is NOT tipping. It's just a revenue stream to the corporation. Feel free to boost their bottom line. Or don't. The choice is yours, fully and completely.

It's either you or the corporation. Whose side are you on?

Well stated

This next NCL cruise I will attain GOLD level on the Latatudes. Perhaps it is time I go back to sailing my previous favorite line RCCL. I am Platinum with them. We will see, I have two NCL cruises booked. Will the experience that NCL provides be worth the extra $100 (at the most?) or so per person be worth it. I hope so, but if not I will book the Quantum of the Seas and see how that goes.

I haven't found an answer to OPs question. Straight forward, is 18% added onto the bill automatically for service of the meal? I know there is an automatic tip for drinks, I just would appreciate a yes or no answer for food service. Thank you so much and enjpy your next cruise.

I haven't found an answer to OPs question. Straight forward, is 18% added onto the bill automatically for service of the meal? I know there is an automatic tip for drinks, I just would appreciate a yes or no answer for food service. Thank you so much and enjpy your next cruise.

Yes

I think it's been answered many times, including by the OP themselves.

The short answer is yes.

Gotta love the black-and-white internet! This is best justification I've heard yet for removing the DSC: Late-model capitalism requires me to maintain an adversarial position with respect to the corporation and its workers!

You're being deliberately obtuse. I didn't say, and clearly did not imply, that customers are in an adversarial relationship with the workers, only the corporation.

And whether you wish to maintain an adversarial position or not is irrelevant because you ARE in one, no matter what. Even the most die-hard NCL cheerleader here removes their pom-poms and looks for the best possible deal. If the cruise they booked declines in price before final payment, they cancel and rebook.

Your interests are simply not the same as that of NCL's. Indeed they are worlds apart.

You're being deliberately obtuse. I didn't say, and clearly did not imply, that customers are in an adversarial relationship with the workers, only the corporation.

And whether you wish to maintain an adversarial position or not is irrelevant because you ARE in one, no matter what. Even the most die-hard NCL cheerleader here removes their pom-poms and looks for the best possible deal. If the cruise they booked declines in price before final payment, they cancel and rebook.

Your interests are simply not the same as that of NCL's. Indeed they are worlds apart.

Its not going to sink to him because in his eyes he doesn't think he's paying double or he's going to not pay the DSC but will gladly pay the 18% at the specialty restaurants, which means at the very least he should to pay his room steward in cash if he's using the person. And like you said, some people will look for the best deal even if its not with NCL and if it is, some may not step into some specialty restaurants because 18% auto tip there is more expensive than tipping for 3 -5 soda / beer / mixed drinks.

Right now, because I booked my 2015 trip last year around August / September, I'm bit of hard time finding a similar one with same /lower price. So there's a possibility I will stick to my current plans but 2016 /2017, is a completely different story - Carnival Vista is visiting NYC for few weeks and Royal / Celebrity hasn't release their Nov/Dec 2016 itineraries yet plus I'm might cruise from Miami sail other lines like MSC. So NCL better have the better fare / promotions or else I'm traveling on one of the other lines. Its call 'voting with my wallet' and for some reason some people can't grasp that you don't have to be loyal to one line for whatever reason thus you can go wherever you want, provide it you can pay for it.

Edited by maywell

We are cruising on the Breakaway May 10th so I have been following this thread very intently. We've cruised many times but this will be our first with NCL. Normally, I just read the posts without commenting however, right now I feel compelled to voice my opinion :). In spite of all the analogies, number crunching and speculation the bottom line is we are being charged more and receiving less. Everyone posting has very good points. I have no doubt that the only one who will benefit from the increases would be NCL. I feel this is how they are recouping their money from the large promotion and will continue to do so far into the future. I think the speciality restaurants, in general are just another ploy for NCL (and other cruise lines) to rake in more cash. Why not just have superb service, quality and selection in the MDR? Was that not the premise in the past? Why should we be charged extra for something we have already paid for. As far as the Free style dining goes, nice idea but there is nothing FREE about it except your choice to shell out more cash for a quality meal you should be receiving anyway.

I sincerely doubt I will book with NCL again.

Sorry if this question has been answered. I have the promotional free UDP. Will I see on my bill a 18% additional gratuity, or do we not know for sure yet?

My first time on NCL on over 20 years and learning a lot.

Sorry if this question has been answered. I have the promotional free UDP. Will I see on my bill a 18% additional gratuity, or do we not know for sure yet?

My first time on NCL on over 20 years and learning a lot.

No, you will not see it.

Harriet

Just had another thought, which is this.

Since NCL is so eager to bring the specialty restaurants into line with regular dining in land establishments, does that mean we will no longer have to pay up front when we pre-reserve prior to boarding? :rolleyes:

Because, to my knowledge, this is simply not how it's done....on land.

Just had another thought, which is this.

Since NCL is so eager to bring the specialty restaurants into line with regular dining in land establishments, does that mean we will no longer have to pay up front when we pre-reserve prior to boarding? :rolleyes:

Because, to my knowledge, this is simply not how it's done....on land.

Good one :)

They were grabbing for straws because they are defending in indefensible. It is not logical and makes no sense and of course it is not done at land restaurants or any other cruise line.

I swear NCL must have a committee that works full time in finding new ways to add fees. The new CEO's attitude is raise the price of everything. At least before they put on a face that "quality" was being raised.

I don't like this any more than anyone else, but it is the way companies make money now.

Some airlines are profitable now because they instituted baggage fees. They found having a price $20 higher and including one checked bag caused them to lose bookings. The same flight priced $20 less with a $25 baggage fee sold more and brought in more money. Passengers complained at the ticket counter, but very few stopped flying the lines with the extra fees. They still bought the lower priced ticket, even though the full cost was higher when they tacked on baggage fees.

There's a psychology at work that induces people to spend $20 shipping and handling on a "free" second product that has a value of about $10. It may be a thing we Americans accept because of the arcane way we do sales taxes (adding them to the price of the product instead of having all-inclusive prices listed).

Until it stops working it will continue.

Wonder if we'll hear from anyone doing the Chef's Table dinner on what NCL is charging.

I see that RCCL has also recently upped their drink prices and also have the 18% gratuity. Just a matter of time now for the RCCL upcharge restaurants to be adding the 18%.

My response was tongue in cheek, because your post was a gross caricature of modern economic theory.

Sad and true. I've been following this thread since it started. We have sailed NCL exclusively. We like the freestyle and it has been a good value for our vacation dollar. I am not naive. I know companies will do what they need to do to maintain and increase their revenues. These changes under new leadership were very swift and seemingly with little regard for NCL's loyal customer base. Excellent communication from NCL has been sorely lacking with reports of reps responding to questions with a snippy tone. Where is the leadership in terms of customer service and excellent public relations with your current and prospective customers? I have the distinct feeling that they are just going to ride out the kind of backlash they are hearing here, follow their plan, and wait for it to blow over. Del Rio may well be a seasoned cruise executive. So far, I am not getting a sense of integrity that I felt from Sheehan.

Will we continue to sail NCL? Probably, but I am finding myself not only thinking about looking at other lines but actually doing some cruise searches on NCL's competitors' sites. I see possibilities. The implementation of these changes does leave a bad taste in my mouth. We will still enjoy our cruise in a week. Nothing could affect that. But in terms of continuing to be a raving fan of NCL, I am losing my enthusiasm.

We give our room steward a cash tip a couple of times during our cruise. I don't expect that will change. I don't plan to tip at the specialty restaurants now. We are such light drinkers, it's almost a non-issue for us. I would tip for a well-made drink.

Sigh. Baby boomer here, too. I am wondering how much of the backlash is generational. To be sure, it will be interesting to see how this continues to play out.

The last five years ncl was becoming one of the top notch cruise lines.they had very string connection with the guest..very loyal fans and they got bigger and bigger.i am one of those fans that absolutely loved anything about ncl and dreaded to the idea to going on another cruise line.with all the latest changes these big increases in everything in such a short time span..the massive firings of staff and everything else i booked my first rcl cruise..ncl tries to bite the hand that feeds her and that i am afraid is not a good decision..the prices of 2016 most of them are very very high very close to celebrity or princess pricetag.other people like me are going to have new options of trying other lines and thats not good for ncl

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see my post stirred up a lot of feelings!

I did eventually speak with the HD about this matter and advised him that the cc community was in an uproar and that they were awaiting NCL's response. I believe he may have been instrumental in having them post a reply (albeit with incorrect info).

I was told that several people went to Guest Relations and had this 18% removed from their account. This info was given to me early in the cruise so not sure how many others stepped forward as the week progressed since this was a very full sailing. I know first hand that the gentlemen that initially told me he was charged had his removed and told them that he would not accept having this charge applied to his account again.

We've cruised many times but this will be our first with NCL. .... the bottom line is we are being charged more and receiving less.

If you have not sailed with NCL before, on what do you base your claim about receiving less? Charged more yes, but receiving less?

The last five years ncl was becoming one of the top notch cruise lines.they had very string connection with the guest..very loyal fans and they got bigger and bigger.i am one of those fans that absolutely loved anything about ncl and dreaded to the idea to going on another cruise line.with all the latest changes these big increases in everything in such a short time span..the massive firings of staff and everything else i booked my first rcl cruise..ncl tries to bite the hand that feeds her and that i am afraid is not a good decision..the prices of 2016 most of them are very very high very close to celebrity or princess pricetag.other people like me are going to have new options of trying other lines and thats not good for ncl

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Massive firings? Whenever two corporations are merged people loose jobs. It's difficult but it happens everyday. DH works for a company that was acquired by another recently, and lots of jobs are in jeopardy due to redundancy.

I have read a lot of intelligent posts on this thread, whether I agree with them or not. However, the average person (dare I say it?) is not as intelligent and will not mind paying an 18% service charge of a few dollars and would simply accept it, but would notice it right away if the cruise fare itself was a few dollars higher than another cruise line. As stated in an earlier post, airlines have found that people are more willing to pay the extra baggage fee on an initially lower priced airline ticket, rather than pay an initially higher priced ticket and no baggage fee, even if the latter costs a few dollars less. I know that for me, I would consider both of these, add everything up and compare the totals but I know most people do not do that, as most people do not read the fine print.

So, NCL can and will continue to do this, as do other huge corporations, as long as the average cruiser buys into it. And that will surely keep happening. We on CC are in the minority...most cruisers do not read the kind of information we do and most do not take the time to do any research before cruising. There are very few of us that do.

We Americans are not very smart when it comes to spending our hard-earned money. Does it have to do with the not so great math education we get in our education system that leads many to live pay check to paycheck? Or that we just feel we deserve things we can't afford? But I continue to see us accept price increases because it's only a couple of $ s without questioning that theses companies are being disingenuous. Did anyone ever get a raise because you gave your boss a sob story? This is what companies have done, get us to part more of our money by using our sympathy for the crew. The crew is not stupid; they all know how to work the Americans and probably gets a good laugh at those stupid Americans behind our backs. Let's not fool ourselves, many around the world perceive us as stupid.

The people who work on these ships are not slaves. They can leave their employment at any time if they're unhappy. I don't feel obligated to pay them beyond my fare and tips for above average service. NCL has to pay its staff even if everyone removes their DSC because otherwise they'll be no service staff to run the ships. And it's up to these workers to speak up for themselves if they are being shafted by their employers. We as consumers shouldn't have to make up the difference simply because big business don't want to use some of their profits to pay their employees.

I personally don't understand the mentality that it's ok because it's only a couple of dollars. Your first couple of dollars is just as important as your last couple of dollars. They all count. Why even giveaway any when you're not getting anymore for them? I don't like to stiff people but I also don't like being taken for a fool by big companies. But ignorance is bliss.

This is another game changer in cruise vacations if we passengers just accept it. So many don't see the power really rest with us but continues to shift that power to big corporations. Unfortunately we on this board are a minority and we alone will not be able to change the tide of this new trend. It will be fascinating to see how this plays out.