Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

On our other cruises we gave a extra tip when we dined in the specialty restaurant, the amount varied due the service. The problem I might see with this is the service may not be as good because they get a tip no matter what. That seems to be the complaint on all cruises because of the automatic tipping , service has gone down.

I don't have a problem with the tips added to the the cruise because it has always been my understanding that some of the tips get spread amounst all the waiters (like the ones that clean your tables in the buffet, pool area, etc.).

No I don't like tips added even for the drinks, but we have come to accept that and I don't like it added automatically to the specialty restaurants either.

Yes. I just booked the UDP for my upcoming cruise this summer on Sun and paid for it up front.

If you just booked and you only sail in suites was it not included in your cruise fare? Are there exceptions to which suites get all 4 promos included?

Rochelle

On our other cruises we gave a extra tip when we dined in the specialty restaurant, the amount varied due the service. The problem I might see with this is the service may not be as good because they get a tip no matter what. That seems to be the complaint on all cruises because of the automatic tipping , service has gone down.

I don't have a problem with the tips added to the the cruise because it has always been my understanding that some of the tips get spread amounst all the waiters (like the ones that clean your tables in the buffet, pool area, etc.).

No I don't like tips added even for the drinks, but we have come to accept that and I don't like it added automatically to the specialty restaurants either.

If the service is not good, be it in the MDR or specialty restaurant, you should address that onboard. I've only really had one issue and put a note in the box to the Hotel Director and got a call immediately. He apologized and asked what could he do to make it better, in that I didn't want or think I deserved anything for the issue, I told him to just make sure it doesn't happen to another passenger.

Has anyone considered the possibility of not being able to get reservations in the specialty restaurants due to the dramatic increase in the number of cruisers who booked with the UDP included in their fare ?

It happened to us on the Getaway before this recent promotion. We were unable to get into the Le Bistro with our platinum perk because it was booked solid for the entire cruise the first day.

On the ships I've been on, there always seems to be some availability showing for all restaurants (except for Teppanyaki) on most days throughout the cruise. Also, the terms of the UDP claim that "table availability will be guaranteed for UDP guests with 24 hour advance reservations". But I don't know what they are actually guaranteeing, maybe it's not a table in the restaurant that you originally wanted to eat in…

If you just booked and you only sail in suites was it not included in your cruise fare? Are there exceptions to which suites get all 4 promos included?

Rochelle

Because I booked it before the promo was included, and if I call up and have my sailing re-rated, I will pay over $1500 more. I am sailing this summer, and I booked it last year.

If the service is not good, be it in the MDR or specialty restaurant, you should address that onboard. I've only really had one issue and put a note in the box to the Hotel Director and got a call immediately. He apologized and asked what could he do to make it better, in that I didn't want or think I deserved anything for the issue, I told him to just make sure it doesn't happen to another passenger.

In this age of "give me give me give me", I think that was very nice of you.

Okay....... So, I've been reading all of these posts for a few days. And I've had different thoughts about this tipping thing.

My question is: Do you think that NCL put these auto-gratuities in place so that they can get more $$$$'s??? That would mean they are taking away from their staff from the money WE want them to get tipped.....

Or do you think they put the tipping in place because the staff were getting stiffed by a big number of cruisers??? Cruisers not paying tips, and the staff not getting tipped for their good service.

Do you think that the staff is getting more $$$$$'s now, thus they are happier now that auto-gratuities are put in place?????

I'm from the time when passengers put $$$$'s in envelopes on the last evening of the cruise.

I sure would like to know where my auto-gratuities go. What the breakdown is. Who gets what.

I would like to know EXACTLY how much the cruise staff is really getting out of my auto gratuities that I'm paying. How much NCL is getting out of my money that I want to go to the staff. And that is the reason I want to pay gratuities. I want my money to go to staff, not into NCLs pocket.

I pay the auto-gratuities so that the staff will get compensated for good service. Not so NCL can dip into it.

I would like that information from NCL. Do you think I would get it? I highly doubt it. I just might email them and ask for this information.

Okay....... So, I've been reading all of these posts for a few days. And I've had different thoughts about this tipping thing.

My question is: Do you think that NCL put these auto-gratuities in place so that they can get more $$$$'s??? That would mean they are taking away from their staff from the money WE want them to get tipped.....

Or do you think they put the tipping in place because the staff were getting stiffed by a big number of cruisers??? Cruisers not paying tips, and the staff not getting tipped for their good service.

Do you think that the staff is getting more $$$$$'s now, thus they are happier now that auto-gratuities are put in place?????

I'm from the time when passengers put $$$$'s in envelopes on the last evening of the cruise.

Hi Shealea,

Your statements are based on a false premise that the wait staff were not getting tips. NCL just raised their daily auto gratuity. Plus any drink from coke, specialty coffee, or alcohol drink added gratuity to your bill. If you have an auto daily gratuity then why would you make customers pay another gratuity at a restaurant? The MDR staff work just as hard. How would you feel if you bought the UBP and paid the gratuity for the entire package only to discover the glass of wine you ordered at La Cucina came with another gratuity?

Has anyone considered the possibility of not being able to get reservations in the specialty restaurants due to the dramatic increase in the number of cruisers who booked with the UDP included in their fare ?

Yes...I have also thought of that...and will be watching CC to see what returning PAX are saying...

Because I booked it before the promo was included, and if I call up and have my sailing re-rated, I will pay over $1500 more. I am sailing this summer, and I booked it last year.

I see. You just booked the UDP not just booked a cruise and the UDP. Sorry for any confusion, apparently my reading comprehension skills need some help. :o

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

To answer your question, Yes I believe that NCL increased DSC and instituted an auto-gratuity on specialty dining in order to increase their profits. I believe that NCL will figure out a way to "capture" the additional revenues generated.

But I also want to draw your attention to the fact that, as far as the specialties go, up to a week ago, NO SPECIALTY DINING STAFF WERE BEING "STIFFED" BY PASSENGERS NOT LEAVING TIPS, because specialty wait staff were being "tipped" under the DSC. If there was any "stiffing" going on, it was being done by the corporation.

Not to mention specialty dining has been around for a long time, and just recently NCL is concerned with their specialty staff being stiffed? I hope we passengers can think logically and see that however NCL wants to spin this or justify this, this is clearly an additional fee. Nothing to do with gratuities.

It amazes me how some on this board want to place blame on fellow passengers stiffing the staff for this change. First thought should be to question the real motive, not rationalizing on behalf of big business. It is this continuous sympathy that we have for the crew that allows ncl to raise prices and using the crew as an excuse. Yes, they work hard but so do we for our money. It's not NCL can't afford to pay their employees, they simply choose not to because we have agreed to pay it.

More and more, I feel like we are paying wages not tips. I know some don't care but I do. Service was so much better before. Finding good service on my recent cruises was an exception whereas finding bad service was the exception in the past.

Edited by SJ

Ok, I have been reading the thread......the promo is free....no charge for the specialty restaurants....I know I have been out of school a long time, but when I went to school, 18% of 0 is 0.....am I missing something here? :rolleyes:

More and more, I feel like we are paying wages not tips. I know some don't care but I do. Service was so much better before. Finding good service on my recent cruises was an exception whereas finding bad service was the exception in the past.

But don't you think that you are paying the wages of every company that you do business with, it is just that it is not in paid through a DSC. A department stores charges you over and above what they pay for the merchandise they purchase and then sell to you and those profits go to overhead of the company, which includes the wages of their staff. I'm sure if NCL could and would probably like to, if other cruise lines would follow, just raise the prices of the cruise to offset the DSC or auto gratuity, etc., that are paying the staff's wages and pay the wages themselves. What people don't seem to get, we pay for everything related to a company (including NCL) and after everything is paid for including the wages of the company, the rest is profit for that company. It is the same if we pay for the wages through profits from the sale of clothes for a department store or through the DSC on a cruise line.

Ok, I have been reading the thread......the promo is free....no charge for the specialty restaurants....I know I have been out of school a long time, but when I went to school, 18% of 0 is 0.....am I missing something here? :rolleyes:
You are not missing anything, if you got the UDP as a promotion perk, you don't have to pay the 18%. If you purchase the UDP since the change or go to one of the restaurants without an UDP, you would then pay the 18%. When purchasing the UDP, the gratuity will be added when you purchase it, and when you go to the restaurant without an UDP, it will on your check and you pay for it at the end of your meal.

But don't you think that you are paying the wages of every company that you do business with, it is just that it is not in paid through a DSC. A department stores charges you over and above what they pay for the merchandise they purchase and then sell to you and those profits go to overhead of the company, which includes the wages of their staff. I'm sure if NCL could and would probably like to, if other cruise lines would follow, just raise the prices of the cruise to offset the DSC or auto gratuity, etc., that are paying the staff's wages and pay the wages themselves. What people don't seem to get, we pay for everything related to a company (including NCL) and after everything is paid for including the wages of the company, the rest is profit for that company. It is the same if we pay for the wages through profits from the sale of clothes for a department store or through the DSC on a cruise line.

Of course I understand that. The difference is at other business they are not tacking it on after the sale is made. My decision to purchase is based on the sticker price plus sales tax, not plus employee wages. My local supermarket already priced in their operating costs which include employee wages in the price of milk. I hope you see the difference and understand my point.

Edited by SJ

This is what's driving me absolutely nuts.

NCL does pay their staff typical wages, and give the food and housing. These are paid through the companies income. Your cruise fare.

The DSC is an "incentive" for the staff. It is not their wages. It is a bonus. If their performance is praised, ( I'm assuming Hero cards come into play here, but that could be one small factor) they get something out of the DSC. This is why you have the right to adjust it. If you do not feel you received great service from staff throughout the ship, you can decrease or withdraw from this "incentive"

Idk how it is distributed but I truly don't think it's set up as staff A,B, and C get X amount per passenger. If everybody got the same thing, that would negate it being an "incentive". Some positions are capable of earning something through the DSC, some aren't. Some staff members work several positions. Some don't. Yes, tips are also an incentive to have great customer service, but don't confuse the two.

Also, a portion of the DSC goes to "staff welfare" I believe it funds crew parties, to keep them from going insane and feeling overworked. Not exactly sure, but it is another incentive to do well.

Talking about "double dipping" is really a mute point. You don't know how they distribute the DSC, ( the Daily Service Charge, not an "auto-gratuity") and honestly, a company does not need to divulge their internal policies, unless you are an employee.

The DSC is an "incentive" for the staff. It is not their wages. It is a bonus. If their performance is praised, ( I'm assuming Hero cards come into play here, but that could be one small factor) they get something out of the DSC. This is why you have the right to adjust it. If you do not feel you received great service from staff throughout the ship, you can decrease or withdraw from this "incentive"

Also, a portion of the DSC goes to "staff welfare" I believe it funds crew parties, to keep them from going insane and feeling overworked. Not exactly sure, but it is another incentive to do well.

A full ship like the Getaway collects upwards of $375,000 in DSC each and every week. NCL tries to sail the ship at capacity each and every cruise. In one year that's $137 million or more collected from the DSC. That is a heck of a lot of incentive and must mean some extremely awesome parties!!

If that was all 'bonus' money I would expect some phenomenal service from folks trying to earn their share!

Rochelle

This is what's driving me absolutely nuts.

NCL does pay their staff typical wages, and give the food and housing. These are paid through the companies income. Your cruise fare.

Idk how it is distributed but I truly don't think it's set up as staff A,B, and C get X amount per passenger. If everybody got the same thing, that would negate it being an "incentive". Some positions are capable of earning something through the DSC, some aren't. Some staff members work several positions. Some don't. Yes, tips are also an incentive to have great customer service, but don't confuse the two.

Talking about "double dipping" is really a mute point. You don't know how they distribute the DSC, ( the Daily Service Charge, not an "auto-gratuity") and honestly, a company does not need to divulge their internal policies, unless you are an employee.

You're incorrect. Please read the guest ticket contract:

"Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest."

And their FAQs:

"Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports."

The service charge clearly funds both their salary and incentive programs. The actual base salary excluding the service charge funds is very low.

This article is a bit old by now, but this short excerpt should open your eyes:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1059

"Tipping is serious stuff. It represents well over 95% of what the crew makes. Carnival gave me something around $60 a month or so when it was all said and done."

Edited by njhorseman

From what I've heard, and no I don't know how truthful it is, is that those that are in the DSC pool, only get around $50 - $100 a month salary and the rest is from the DSC and tips.

The service charge clearly funds both their salary and incentive programs. The actual base salary excluding the service charge funds is very low...a few hundred dollars per month.

It's not that clear. I completely agree that the two statements you quoted can be interpreted that way, but they can also be interpreted as saying that the service charge only supports the incentive programs. The syntax is 100% ambiguous, which is pretty unacceptable for language in a contract that we all have to sign. I tend to agree with you that the DSC probably also funds salaries, because otherwise, as Rochelle said, it would be a pretty huge incentive fund. But after all, we have zero idea of how these incentive programs work.

Yes, employees who are part of the DSC pool receive their pay "by a combination of salary and incentives".

When you get bonuses, on top of your salary, that is still included in your gross income.

When a Carnival employee says "$60 a month or so when all is said and done" what benefits were paid out of that persons pay? Perhaps Carnival charges for living expenses, etc. Who knows what kind of deductions their are.

And Rochelle, I agree that is a ton of money, but I assume that these "incentive bonuses" are given out weekly based on hitting certain goals, receiving certain accolades, or whatever other criteria NCL has. And most likely, a majority of the staff get a portion, but it may not be equal amongst them. Also, I would think those parties probably don't happen every week, but maybe some other small events do. Idk.

But again, DSC is not tipping. It's a service charge. If NCL says you don't have to worry about tipping certain personnel, it's because they feel their company has enough incentive to motivate excellent customer service. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't tip.