Obc credit

BLUEJAYS

First Welcom to Cruise Critic. You might do a search on "OBC" or "on board credit" and see the many threads that cover this. In short --

OBC is either provided by the cruise line or by your TA as an incentive for your business. It is very likely that your TA is correct in that O is not providing any deals for your particular cruise.

However incentives ranging from 5% (advertised) to 10% (unadvertised) by TA's are available. Essentially a large volume TA will share their commission as incentive OBC. So your choice is to have no OBC with your current TA or find another TA that will offer you some OBC.

Edited by PaulMCO

There is a past passenger credit by O. Ask your TA what their OBC will be and shop around. Big discount agencies do it best working on volume sales. Check with several, never can tell where best deal will come from.

Edited by zoncom

On Board Credit isn't automatic with purchasing a cruise. It's an incentive usually offered by a travel agent or sometimes by the cruise line. Often, it's a perk of a higher level of loyalty by cruising quite a number of times with the same cruise line. Sometimes it's offered for a cruise that has low sales.

The only guaranteed way to have OBC is to give it to yourself. It's usually part of the Amenity packages. You can phone up the cruise line and pay for it and it will be at your disposal when you board the ship.

Find a different travel agent who will give you OBC. I tend to book my cruises about 18 months in advance when they are first announced. Frequently I get OBC from both Oceania and my travel agent when I book early. These credits tend to "disappear" when you get closer to the sailing date. My travel agent also rebates part of her commission to me when I return home from the cruise.

Edited by phillymaps

How are different ways that I can get OBC for our next cruise. (Insignia, Panama Canal, June 22nd.) Our TA says that none is being provided by the cruise line. How does this work?

Thanks

You need a new TA - one who is a top producer for O. - there are occasional partnering O/TA price breaks (e.g., first time O cruise, etc). Then there's OBC from the TA, which might range from 5-10% of the cabin cost.

How are different ways that I can get OBC for our next cruise. (Insignia, Panama Canal, June 22nd.) Our TA says that none is being provided by the cruise line. How does this work?

Thanks

You may be too late to snag a deal for this cruise, but you can try. I go online to cruise compete and ask for discounted cabin, prepaid gratuities, OBC, and more. Then wait while the big agencies bid.

We just got back from a great cruise Buenos Aires to Rio. When we initially booked, we were told by our TA that we would get OBC from Oceania. Later, he sent an email that the Oceania rep was supposedly mistaken and no OBC but he would try for gratuities. (note: we are in a cheap cabin category). Four days before final payment, I asked him what the status was and he checked again and said we got both gratuities and OBC. We made final payment. When we got the final cruise info, it indicated gratuities but no OBC. The TA checked again-oops, another rep gave false info.

When we were on the cruise, I asked the concierge to check, thinking that maybe the TA was making things up. Nope, the concierge got back to me-the Oceania rep did again give the TA the wrong info. Sorry no OBC.

Be warned, just being told by an Oceania rep that you will get OBC doesn't mean it will happen. Apparently, the cruise line takes no responsibility for this.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

We just got back from a great cruise Buenos Aires to Rio. When we initially booked, we were told by our TA that we would get OBC from Oceania. Later, he sent an email that the Oceania rep was supposedly mistaken and no OBC but he would try for gratuities. (note: we are in a cheap cabin category). Four days before final payment, I asked him what the status was and he checked again and said we got both gratuities and OBC. We made final payment. When we got the final cruise info, it indicated gratuities but no OBC. The TA checked again-oops, another rep gave false info.

When we were on the cruise, I asked the concierge to check, thinking that maybe the TA was making things up. Nope, the concierge got back to me-the Oceania rep did again give the TA the wrong info. Sorry no OBC.

Be warned, just being told by an Oceania rep that you will get OBC doesn't mean it will happen. Apparently, the cruise line takes no responsibility for this.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Was the OBC listed as part of the cruise incentive??

Some promos are for veranda cabins you need to read the fine print

I was going to book a C cabin my TA told me the promos for the perks was for B & above

booked the lowest B Cat

Just something to watch for

Lyn

Is the OBC posted somewhere on your booking? We were told $700 OBC plus free gratuities and free internet, but I don't see it listed anywhere, just an email from TA.

While it's "written proof" in an e-mail, you also should get all perks stated in your contract with the TA. If you got any of the perks directly from O in original booking (if you made it before transfer to the TA), they will show in that invoice. As a double-check, you could call O and ask them nicely to help you "clear up some confusion" by telling you what they have in your booking record. Also, rather than asking here on CC, spend the time talking with your TA (actually better if you also maintain an e-mail record) to get the perks stated clearly on your contract.

Is the OBC posted somewhere on your booking? We were told $700 OBC plus free gratuities and free internet, but I don't see it listed anywhere, just an email from TA.

Mine shows on my invoice on the page with the itinerary

If not ask your TA for it in writing on your invoice

Make sure you get it in writing from your TA, that way if your TA doesn't recall saying you get ($$$), you can show them you have it in writing. Some TA's change their mind after the booking. It happen to me, glad I had it in writing.

Rick