Beverage package

JACKHAWK

I have heard of various taxes added when departing from BCN.

If you purchase your beverage package prior to the cruise - do you avoid these taxes on your drinks?

There was a thread not long ago that cruises departing from BCN & sailing in Spanish waters everything purchased onboard was subject to the extra 10% tax

Then Italy jumped on the same wagon

I have not experienced it but hopefully others will comment

If you are embarking in BCN then yes I would buy the package ahead of time if the package works for you

JMO

Lyn

No, you need to start it up and you can't pick the days you want. I think they stop selling it a few days into the cruise.

I have seen this comment about purchasing the beverage package expiring on the third cruise day. I just returned form a Marina cruise in French Polynesia, and this is NOT TRUE. I purchased the prestige select package on the fifth day of a ten day cruise. The only restriction is that you cannot cancel the package for the remainder of the cruise.

• 4 months later...
I'm a bit late to this thread, but do you know if it's more expensive to purchase the prestige package on board rather than prior to embarkation?

I understand that it is the same price but in US $.

Also the recommendation is to wait until the 2nd day because it runs midnight to midnight and you probably wont get full value that 1st day.

Oh it's all in US $.....SO expensive for us these days. Oh well....

I didn't know about the midnight to midnight...

I had read somewhere that it was an extra $5 per person per day if purchased on board, rather than prior, but think your recommendation to wait till 2nd or 3rd day is a good one. Thanks

Melmike, I believe that I read somewhere in this thread that it was $5 more expensive if purchased on board around the time that the price increased by that amount ... so people were better off buying it ahead of time. I don't THINK that is still the case.

Mura

Like that :D.

So the general opinion is – to buy on board.

We have 2 sea days and some busy days so it would be nice to break it up a bit.

The idea of sitting balcony or pool side during the day with a cocktail or 2 , aperitifs at the cocktail hour, wine over dinner, followed by digestifs sounds so very appealing and I think the premium package may work well (apart from the fact I wouldn't be able to get out of bed the next day).

But on a fully loaded, activity day when you are tired and all you need is a couple of glasses of wine/dinner/ bed – it doesn’t work so well.

I will definitely wait until on board to see what they can offer me.

Bev

Hi there, Bev! I hope you remember me. I was so excited to see your post here. Hope you enjoyed your recent cruise.

Kim

My husband and I are taking our first Oceania cruise Oct. 2016. A bit more clarification, please, on beverage packages - I saw that prices are per day. Would that be per day for both of us, or per day, per person?

Thanks!

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

Anything purchased onboard will be USD

Can you buy it prior to sailing in AUD ?

All cruise prices we have ever taken are /quoted paid in U.S$ - Regent, Seabourn, now Oceania. It's like safari in Africa - everything quoted in USD

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there, Bev! I hope you remember me. I was so excited to see your post here. Hope you enjoyed your recent cruise.

Kim

Hi Kim - I have been trying to find a way to PM you - unsuccessfully. I hope you enjoyed your cruise and that we cross paths again.

We are home from our cruise now and did not end up buying the Beverage Package because my husband was resistant to that and the bottle packages offered on board. We bought different wines on board through out the cruise and DH quite enjoyed looking at the local wine choices at the various ports. We also enjoyed a 2-3 each night from the bars and in the restaurants and it probably worked out to be about the same cost. If I had my time over I would have bought the premium packages.

I have heard of various taxes added when departing from BCN.

If you purchase your beverage package prior to the cruise - do you avoid these taxes on your drinks?

I Already have a house select package as a cruise bonus if I up grade to a prestige when the cruise leaves Barcelona, am a liable for the extra Vat tax on the price difference ??

I am about to cruise for the first time with Oceania. I will be on the Riviera for the Trans Atlantic in November. I am totally unfamiliar with Oceania's Beverage Package. I am also a little confused. one post quoted the prices per bottle and another seemed to cite the price as per day, per person. Can someone tell me what I'm missing? Does the Oceania Web Site detail the Package somewhere?

I am about to cruise for the first time with Oceania. I will be on the Riviera for the Trans Atlantic in November. I am totally unfamiliar with Oceania's Beverage Package. I am also a little confused. one post quoted the prices per bottle and another seemed to cite the price as per day, per person. Can someone tell me what I'm missing? Does the Oceania Web Site detail the Package somewhere?

You can buy the Prestige Beverage package which includes wine by the glass $59.95 pp pd

Classic Package wine & beer at meals only $39.95 pp pd

They also offer a Wine package where you can buy 7 bottles of wine from a specific list (changes from sailing to sailing) for an average of $42.50 per bottle

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/beverage-packages/

Click on the sample menus to see what is usually available

Or you can simply pay as you drink

Edited by LHT28

I just got off the Regatta for 10 day cruise. We had about 6-8 drinks per day between my wife and I and a bottle of wine every other day. half of the bar drinks were at happy hour 5-6 and after 10pm

Overall the daily bar bill averaged $26 per day far less then the $60 Wine by the bottle averaged $27, per day total Ordering the $60 aday on the trans atlantic could be good if you would like to. drink pretty much all day every day.

One drawback to the unlimited is only includes wine by the glass which are 4 oz pours. You know your drinking habits... and if you like spend a lot of yourday inbars then it might payoff.......

Still I'd pay by the drink for several days before buying a package which can be started on the ship ....why pay months in advance when you could use the money elsewhere and let the ship/credit card company finance you with a 60day or longer interest free loan !

I am amused that the tax on a drink package is big concern ...

I am amused that the tax on a drink package is big concern ...

As am I, by the notion that the Beverage Packages aren't worth the money, unless one has the stamina to force down enough liquor to "beat" the à la carte price.

Vaguely reminds me of the "Will they stop me from ordering three Entrées" questions, which we used to get on the HAL and Princess Boards.

In short, just because you can, doesn't mean that you should, or that it isn't considered bad form.