When do you start packing?

I start packing a week before. My husband waits until the night before because he says he doesn't have enough clothes to pack early. I make a list of things to pack and check it off as I pack it so I don't forget anything.

I start putting "stuff' aside a few weeks before but don't actually pack till the day before. I, like a previous poster, don't have a lot of clothes so i do all my laundry then pack. If I pack too early I forget what's in there and have to take it all out again anyway. So far the only thing I needed that I didn't have was an eye glass repair kit. $15 in Bermuda that I now bring. Just in case.

Usually a week but I start gathering bits and buying new outfits months in advance.

Although this week I bought a nautical themed make up bag for my cruise NEXT summer in 2016. Its been placed in the suitcase in the guest bedroom.

:D

mHAz2DBI86XBiqc5z3jV2Yg.jpg

Edited by Velvetwater

Actually, it is an ongoing exercise. As we unpack from one trip (either cruise or land) I set aside in a bag our "kit" - corkscrew, stoppers for unfinished bottles of wine, foot-long stick with rubber caps on each end for propping open balcony door, flashlight, etc. Essentially, we are never fully unpacked. As soon as the next trip -cruise or other - is booked, we start gradually adding things we will not need until then.

We Never fully unpack !

Snorkel gear and neet sheet ( for the beach ) get washed and put back in the bag .

First aid and travel size med's stay in the bag .

Hawaiian / Harley shirts get washed and back into Pack-it folders .

NCL Logo T shirts get washed and into Pack-it folders .

We have booked and sailed in under 12 hrs so we stay ready go .

Pack-it cube's = http://www.ebags.com/category/travel-accessories/packing-aids/packing-cubes/b/ebags

:)

Edited by biker@sea

One week before we are to leave for the airport hotel, I run off all packing lists and prescription lists.

Get medications refilled -- DH has a ton I have to keep track of. Update if needed.

Four days before we leave for the airport hotel, main items are packed. Day before we leave, car is loaded with suitcases and carry-ons.

Luggage comes down out of the attic

Flying from the Left Coast I always take the red eye, leaving about 11:30. I pack about 4:00 that afternoon and am done about 6:00. I have to go through the apartment just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. On my Panama Canal cruise I packed my laptop but somehow managed to not pack the power cord to it. So part of my packing time is to make sure I have everything.

Approx. 3 weeks before I put out a laundry basket to toss in all those odds and ends you think about. About two weeks out I do a dress rehearsal because I generally need a formal wardrobe and then daytime clothes. I match up the shoes, jewellery, etc. and put them in the laundry basket.

2-3 days prior I pack the suitcase but leave it open in case I find a missed item and the carry on gets packed the evening before as well as closing up the suitcase.

We're lucky enough to have a spare bedroom, so we start laying things out on the bed about 2-3 weeks ahead of time. Laying everything out lets me check and see that things mostly coordinate. We don't put things in the bags until a day or so before leaving.

Don't forget to "cross pack" (at least one dressy and a couple of casual outfits, plus underwear & shoes for each person in at least 2 different bags - in case one gets lost or left behind). All meds and valuables go in carry-ons.

We cross pack,carryon only and have a travel basket in the closet with odds and ends like snorkel stuff so we aren't hunting in 14 places for everything...I have a master list for a cruise trip or a land trip...copy the one I need so I don't forget things like the glasses repair kit....never used it but it would come in handy when I really needed oneI love packing so might start A few days before....don't care for last minute commotion...

My son is in college so his room is my "cruise room". I gather bits and pieces throughout the time prior. My cruise is in 8 weeks, hubby is home visiting from Mississippi(army. Duty assignment) for a few days and he is already packed! I know we are rare but hey

I have found that it depends on the cruise length and type of cruise. I am starting 2 weeks early for this next cruise because my wife and I have lost some weight. Some of the clothes are too large and will require some altering. That can take some time. It also means that we will have to do some shopping before we leave.

It's all part of the fun of anticipating the trip.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

I make a countdown calander 1 month ahead of trip. I just trace the boxes from the calander on a piece of paper n write the days/date on it . I mark off any appointments I already have ( hair highlighted, mani/pedi, etc) and add to it as things come up. I love to cross off the days and see how many days i have left till cruise day! I also print off my saved packing list from the computer and add/ delete any thing as needed. I get my suitcase out 2 weeks in advance and also set up an ironing board for clothes. ( I have a cat and it's impossible to keep her off the clothes any other way.). As I pack things I cross them off my list. I keep a plastic bin under my bed ( the kind u put sweaters in) full of things I use mostly for cruising and keep my eyes out for stuff on clearance all year long! I also have a travel bag that has small compartments that zipper close that I can put on the back of the bathroom door that I keep packed with essentials such as q-tips, band aids, etc. I love the whole process of packing and getting excited for my cruise!