Fascination out of San Juan - So disappointed

SummerXU

I know there have been multiple threads about the dancing of the ships and the Fascination moving to San Juan, at least until October until next year.

I had decided this would definitely be next year's girlfriends cruise, but I'm not so sure now. Is anyone else totally disappointed by this move?! (Hey, I know you can't please all the people all the time...just looking for someone who may be equally disappointed.)

I know there have been multiple threads about the dancing of the ships and the Fascination moving to San Juan, at least until October until next year.

I had decided this would definitely be next year's girlfriends cruise, but I'm not so sure now. Is anyone else totally disappointed by this move?! (Hey, I know you can't please all the people all the time...just looking for someone who may be equally disappointed.)

I'm disappointed too, but I think I understand the logic on Carnival's end. The prices per cabin for both the Liberty and the Valor out of San Juan are/were very low. Perhaps by decreasing the number of cabins they can eventually increase the price; at any rate, they can send the "better" ships to the more profitable ports.

The Eastern/Southern route from San Juan is Carnival's best (IMHO), but the Fascination is far from their most modern ship. We'll have to see what happens.

I was suprised by that announcement. I like Fantasy class really well, but it seems to be more suited to 3-5 day cruises to the Bahamas or to Cozumel/Cayman.

Like one of the other posters mentioned, since the prices from San Juan are and have been low, it's a supply and demand thing. Maximize the revenue generated from each port.

It is surprising to me that Carnival has 2 Fantasy class ships in Long Beach, doing the same itin's and most often those cruises are very low priced. If I lived in that area, I would take advantage of those at least once a year, maybe more. Even as a solo they would be very affordable.

There is a great radio show that I have listened to for 2 years. Very informative on a lot of cruise/ship topics. Recently they were talking with a Carnival itinerary exec' that I found quite interesting. They are going to announce the new itin's/ships and which ports through early2017 shortly. Here is the site: http://cruiseradio.net/ Then click on Listen To Cruise Radio. The most recent episode with the interview with the Carnival exec is there, along with a list you can listen to from past episodes. Each week or so there is a new episode.

I don't think Fascination will be in San Juan permanently. Port schedules for St. Maarten show Victory there starting November 2016. However, I can understand the logistics behind this move. Prices out of San Juan are lower then most other ports and they can't fill the ship as easily.

I'm disappointed too, but I think I understand the logic on Carnival's end. The prices per cabin for both the Liberty and the Valor out of San Juan are/were very low. Perhaps by decreasing the number of cabins they can eventually increase the price; at any rate, they can send the "better" ships to the more profitable ports.

The Eastern/Southern route from San Juan is Carnival's best (IMHO), but the Fascination is far from their most modern ship. We'll have to see what happens.

I definitely understand the logic behind the decision. (Doesn't mean I have to like it!) I guess with such a port intensive itinerary that the ship is a little less important, but I do love the newer ships with the 2.0 upgrades, and I never pictured myself on a Fantasy class ship again.

i know there have been multiple threads about the dancing of the ships and the fascination moving to san juan, at least until october until next year.

I had decided this would definitely be next year's girlfriends cruise, but i'm not so sure now. Is anyone else totally disappointed by this move?! (hey, i know you can't please all the people all the time...just looking for someone who may be equally disappointed.)

ahoy shipmate

live in jax and agree

I am as well. There is no way i would fly to PR to sail a fantasy class ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I get the very crappy Elation here I prefer the Fascination at least she has balcony cabins.

I agree the Elation is by far my least favorite ship. The ship is very dated (especially the bathroom) and she doesn't even have all of the Evolutions of Fun upgrades. Time to refurbish the ship or sell it.

I do have to say this move by Carnival kind of surprised me, but we have sailed on Carnival Fascination four times from Jacksonville, twice on the rare 7 day itinerary (Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau). I would have no hesitation in sailing on her on this 7 day itinerary from PR, or an even longer cruise, if the price and itinerary appealed to me. I am sad that it looks like I won't get the chance to cruise on her again from Jacksonville.

We recently returned from an 11 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Legend of the Seas, which is the same age as Fascination and is close to the same size and passenger capacity.

Our previous cruises include 10 and 11 night sailings on (now retired from Celebrity) Zenith and Horizon which are even smaller ships at less than 50,000 GWT, and a 14 night sailing on the old Royal Princess (former Renaissance ship), even smaller at 30,000 GWT and carrying less than 700 passengers.

These have been some of our best cruises.

Our Celebrity Summit cruise out of SJ was possibly our best cruise . We loved the ship but the truth

is that the itinerary was the prime factor . We look forward to taking another San Juan based cruise.

We would certainly pay a premium to cruise Celebrity over Carnival , but not any premium.

We enjoyed Fascination before and would be happy to sail with her again .

Our Celebrity Summit cruise out of SJ was possibly our best cruise . We loved the ship but the truth

is that the itinerary was the prime factor . We look forward to taking another San Juan based cruise.

We would certainly pay a premium to cruise Celebrity over Carnival , but not any premium.

We enjoyed Fascination before and would be happy to sail with her again .

Interesting post. You hit both the positive and negative of what Carnival must have been thinking. I think you are right on in respect to your comments that the itinerary is the biggest factor in a southern carib cruise. Whether it is enough in comparison to other alternatives will be very interesting to watch.

I think because the San Juan itinerary is so port intensive, the ship is not really a destination. So why put a 2.0 ship or a Conquest class ship with more features than the Fantasy class on a port intensive itinerary where the ships features might not be used as much?

I think because the San Juan itinerary is so port intensive, the ship is not really a destination. So why put a 2.0 ship or a Conquest class ship with more features than the Fantasy class on a port intensive itinerary where the ships features might not be used as much?
Yes the itinerary is (great) port intensive but even with 5 ports at no more then

8 hours each , this means an absolute maximum of 40 hours on a 7 day cruise .

This leaves lots of time to enjoy all the pleasures of a cruise ship. It still is a cruise after all.

I know this seems to conflict with my previous post . My feeling is the excursions in great ports really

make for special memories but it still is a cruise vacation and the shipboard experience is important .

At a minimum a Carnival ship must for us have the 2.0 updates .

Edited by richstowe

We are considering a Southern Caribbean cruise for our 30th anniversary in Sept 2016. It will now definately not be Carnival. We are not flying all the way from the UK to sale Fascination.

Oh well we will keep looking, but will probably enf up with a land trip.

We were very disappointed when we heard this news. We sailed the southern route on the Valor in 2013 and are sailing on the Liberty this Sept. We won't pay to travel to PR to sail on Fascination. If we look at cruising again in 2016 or 2017 and the Fascination is still doing the southern route, we'll probably seriously consider switching cruise lines.

I am as well. There is no way i would fly to PR to sail a fantasy class ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I haven't been to PR yet because if I pay that much to fly somewhere and spend all that money in the ports, I want to be on a newer ship, no matter how port intensive. Just love all the upgrades.

I've said this before but I think this is a case of Carnival testing the waters to see if they can throw any ship there or if they need ones with modern bells and whistles. Fantasy class ships are good for 3-5 day sailings but don't have enough offerings for week-long sailings.

This could also be Carnival showing their hand and planning to eventually pull out of San Juan. With NCL going there, there will be more competition. It is yet another location like Port Everglades in which Carnival clearly isn't even trying to compete with the other lines.

I'm another one that is happy that I am taking this cruise this fall. I would never pay the high prices for airline tickets to San Juan to go on a Fantasy-class ship.

I would like to do another cruise out of San Juan, but I will not sail on the Fascination to do so. If the choice is the Fascination or choosing another cruise line, I'll choose another cruise line. The Fascination was my first cruise ship, and it remains my least favorite. I loved cruising, but was not impressed by her.

I have to say that this ship swap has baffled me. I understand the strategy that a smaller ship with less inventory should in turn command higher prices. But why is Carnival having such a hard time in San Juan? Royal has two ships, one a 130,000 ton Voyager ship and the other a 90,0000 ton Radiance class ship out of San Juan, both commanding considerably higher prices than Carnival. Celebrity has a Millennium class ship, Norwegian has a Jewel class ship coming, and even Disney is spending a few months in San Juan, not to forget the ultra luxury cruise lines like Silversea, SeaDream Yacht Club, and Oceania that take residence there during the winter months as well.

I can only think that the average cruiser headed to the Southern Caribbean is willing to spend more money and thus choosing a bit more upscale cruise lines and shying away from budget friendly Carnival.

I don't see Carnival leaving San Juan altogether though. They've been there for a long time and they are a favorite cruise line for the 4.1 million people that live in Puerto Rico and who choose cruising as one of their top ways to vacation. That client base may be what Carnival is banking on to keep the Fascination sailing full.

Edited by Tapi