Platinum Member with Bed Bugs on Epic 3/15/15

patri10719

A little excessive. VIP treatment??

VIP treatment onboard costs the cruise line virtually nothing. It's an easy and effective way to smooth over tensions in a situation like this. If you have ever had to deal with an infestation of bed bugs you might feel differently. VIP treatment would be absolutely warranted in this situation, especially considering that according to the OP's letter, it was confirmed by the ship's pest control staff that bed bugs were present. So it wasn't a question of "if", but how bad. I'm not even going to get into the PR aspect of the situation. Lets just say that no hospitality company wants a reputation of their ships or hotels/resorts having issues with bed bugs. It's a PR nightmare.

Once OP accepted $500.00 OBC as compensation the case was closed.

IMHO, of course.

Had he said he was not happy/satisfied with the compensation he was offered and not accepted it and gone further with this once he was at home that might be a different story.

Harriet

QUOTE=Cuizer2;46030766]You've gone too far in the other direction.

You want to mention your status with the cruise line (once) just to show that you are loyal to the cruise line. You want to say that despite the hardships, you did enjoy X, Y & Z. You want to express appreciation for the efforts that were made on board the ship.

You then say, now that you are home, and have had time to rest and think about the cruise experience, that you have a sour taste in your mouth. You can ask a hard question like, given what happened and how stressed we are, why should we consider your cruise line again in the future?

The bottom line here is, that some times bad things happen to good people. No one and no company is perfect. Work with NCL and perhaps NCL will work with you.

If not, then you can post in Cruise Critic, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, rent space on one (or more) of Time Square's signs, write your congress person, write your senator, e-mail all your friends, contact the news organizations in the fifty biggest cities (don't forget to buy ad space in each paper's travel section), buy time for a TV ad at the Super Bowl and contact all 50 state AG's. At this point, not only will it make you feel better, but this should also get NCL's attention (in case they ignored your nice letter).

Once OP accepted $500.00 OBC as compensation the case was closed.

IMHO, of course.

Had he said he was not happy/satisfied with the compensation he was offered and not accepted it and gone further with this once he was at home that might be a different story.

Harriet

Sometimes you have to accept a resolution provided at the moment because those you are dealing with only have so much empowerment with regards to compensation. Then if you feel it's warranted you escalate the issue to those with more empowerment at the earliest opportunity. This is what the OP did and in the same situation I probably would have done the exact same thing.

If he declined any resolution onboard people would be complaining that he shouldn't have left the ship without some sort of resolution and missed his opportunity. It's a no win situation.

Sometimes you have to accept a resolution provided at the moment because those you are dealing with only have so much empowerment with regards to compensation. Then if you feel it's warranted you escalate the issue to those with more empowerment at the earliest opportunity. This is what the OP did and in the same situation I probably would have done the exact same thing.

If he declined any resolution onboard people would be complaining that he shouldn't have left the ship without some sort of resolution and missed his opportunity. It's a no win situation.

If you accept a resolution provided, that is it. If not all, at least a big part of Platinum cruisers here know that the staff onboard has very little say to providing any mentionable compensation for anything and that anything major really does need to be handled with HQ and because it takes time, it's best not to waste any vacation time to do that.

If one isn't happy about the compensation offered, they really should wait and contact the HQ themselves instead of accepting one offer there and then trying to blackmail the company for more after getting home.

Edited by Demonyte

I find it humorous how many people have a problem with the OP mentioning he is Platinum. It's completely relevant in the context of the letter, and it's letting NCL know that he is a valued repeat passenger and most likely a future passenger. It absolutely could make a difference in the outcome of this claim. I see nothing wrong with it.

It's also humorous how many NCL cheerleaders do their best to rip apart anyone that dares say a negative word about their precious cruise line. Back off people. He is not talking about your mother but a large company. Don't take it all so personal.

The OP has every right to be pissed off. I certainly would be. Unlike a hotel you can't exactly check out and move to another properly if you're dissatisfied. If a couple of those bed bugs end up in your luggage and you take them home, you're screwed. I don't wish that on anyone. I think I would have insisted on new luggage, or some kind of deep cleaning of the bags before I took them home. As for service recovery, NCL should refund the OP the actual difference between his cabin and the lower priced cabin based on the rate code he booked, and also provide an additional credit for the inconvenience. What the additional credit should be is subjective, but should be substantial enough to cover the stress and inconvenience of the situation. Lastly some small tokens go a long way when it comes to service recovery. These may or may not have happened as the OP may have chosen not to include them in his letter. I'm talking about a personal follow-up from the Hotel Director, perhaps some VIP treatment like some champagne and complimentary restaurant reservations, a visit to the Bridge, and perhaps VIP seating at SpiegelTent. All these things cost very little to the cruise line but go a long way with service recovery.

I agree with some of what you have said, and I think most of us sympathize with the OP, but he is handling this in the wrong way. The OP lost me when he mentioned his Platinum status. I am Platinum myself, and if I had experienced a major issue on my first NCL cruise that was not resolved to my satisfaction, I probably would not have gone on to book another 7 in short order, not to mention bookings for friends and family. So I don't think NCL believes any one passenger is more valuable than another based on Latitudes status, and I would hate to think your Latitudes level plays any part in the satisfactory resolution of customer service issues. Stick to the issues and don't try to play that card.

He should have written a concise letter which stated what happened and what it is he is asking for at this point. He did not specify, but it seems to me he wants a full refund and, IMO, he wants to punish NCL as well. Not a good idea to trash the cruise line when you are asking for compensation. And we all know, this could happen on any cruise line and probably has.

I like your very specific ideas re appropriate compensation and I have made some notes for future reference, just in case.;)

If you accept a resolution provided, that is it. If not all, at least a big part of Platinum cruisers here know that the staff onboard has very little say to providing any mentionable compensation for anything and that anything major really does need to be handled with HQ and because it takes time, it's best not to waste any vacation time to do that.

If one isn't happy about the compensation offered, they really should wait and contact the HQ themselves instead of accepting one offer there and then trying to blackmail the company for more after getting home.

We obviously see things differently. I am Platinum with NCL and I would have no problem accepting compensation onboard and escalating it once I got home if I felt the situation warranted it. You should always attempt a resolution at the source but if not satisfied you have every right to escalate to those with more empowerment. If you decline resolution at the source you risk getting nothing. There is the possibility that NCL shoreside would take the stance that service recovery at the source was rejected therefore no compensation is warranted. NCL will know exactly what compensation was already provided onboard and can amend any additional compensation they feel is warranted based on that knowledge.

As I mentioned before here on CC you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Had the OP declined all service recovery efforts onboard, he would have been chastised (perhaps even by you?) for not accepting the onboard resolution and people would say that he deserved nothing.

As a Latitudes Platinum member

This person MAY have a real gripe, but they had me disinterested with this line. Are you ONLY allowed to have a valid complaint if you are platinum member?

It was very noisy, and had lots of vibrations in the floor.

So what would have you done if you had chosen this room? Or did you already know in advance that there was floor vibrations?

We both went back down to Guest Relations and demanded to speak to the Hotel Director.

Please and thank yous go a long way. Even if you are in the right, and they are in the wrong. Do you particularly like it when people "demand" things of you at your job?

I am lifetime Platinum with Marriott, and I am only 38 years old.

Feeling entitled much there fella?

My wife had emotional distress during the entire cruise and had a hard time sleeping the rest of the cruise. She thought there were bugs crawling on her and since this is her first cruise she stated to me it would be very difficult for her to try it again.

This just seems like you are setting up for a lawsuit or something.

Maybe you expected everyone to bend over and kiss your back end. So sorry they did not do that. Your attitude if you were "demanding" might have had something to do with it. I know I am less inclined to help people that demand.

I find it humorous how many people have a problem with the OP mentioning he is Platinum. It's completely relevant in the context of the letter, and it's letting NCL know that he is a valued repeat passenger and most likely a future passenger. It absolutely could make a difference in the outcome of this claim. I see nothing wrong with it.

Because they already know it when they look at the passenger file, so mentioning just sets a bad tone. They can see your past cruises, your status level, your booked cruises, your on board spendings, your open cruise rewards and everything else so that they can judge how important a customer might be.

Because they already know it when they look at the passenger file, so mentioning just sets a bad tone. They can see your past cruises, your status level, your booked cruises, your on board spendings, your open cruise rewards and everything else so that they can judge how important a customer might be.

You would assume they do, but one thing I've learned when dealing with customer service of any company is never assume. I have no idea how well integrated their various systems are, and just how competant the customer service rep reviewing my issue is. Better to spell it all out. Besides I don't see how letting the company know you are their highest level repeat passenger sets a bad tone? I'm not saying you should expect a higher compensation because of the status, but certainly it can't hurt. I would agree repeating it over and over again would set a bad tone, but stating it once in the beginning of the letter I think is perfectly acceptable.

Personally I think they should hit those bed bugs with an increased DSC and a 18% auto gratuity , that will run them off.

THIS was the most ENTERTAINING POST I have read since I started researching my upcoming cruise 6 months ago !!

Bahahahahahaha !!!

Thanks for the Levity LeaveTheKids!

So if I understand the OP correctly:

He will not cruise NCL again;

He has taken to CC and other forms of media to "out" NCL;

He never explained what he wanted as compensation;

Why would NCL compensate someone who is not coming back, belittles the product in media, and won't say what will please him?

circular file.

So if I understand the OP correctly:

He will not cruise NCL again;

He has taken to CC and other forms of media to "out" NCL;

He never explained what he wanted as compensation;

Why would NCL compensate someone who is not coming back, belittles the product in media, and won't say what will please him?

circular file.

Yes, that particular approach is similar to walking up to somebody and punching them in the face, then when They get back to their feet, asking them to pull a splinter from your finger.

It seems to me that the biggest issue he has is that he does not know how to complain very well. Complaining is not about complaining, it is about trying to find a reasonable solution to the issue. I think he simply took the wrong approach. It's unfortunate.

OP, try to remember that any hotel or ship in which you stay do not want bedbugs. The bedbugs are brought in by other travelers, they are a huge headache for cruise ships and hotels that cater to international travelers.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

the OP never stated he was a platinum lattitudes member, just a platinum Marriott member. I had problem last year on the Dawn. I was booked in the DOS for 12 days and the cruise line left my luggage at the dock. All I had was what I wore to the ship and a pair of pj's. Thankfully I keep all my meds and computer in my carryon. After spending the day asking about my luggage not reaching my cabin they finally called at 4:30 and aid it was still in Tampa.

Due to many circumstances I didn't receive my luggage until late into day 7 of the cruise. Did I come to CC and rant and holler? No I dealt with the HD and concierge and found some clothes in the gift shop and on shore. Did I come back and rant all over CC? no. I simply wrote a nice letter to corporate telling them of my disappointment by email. Within 2 hours I had an answer and everything was fully resolved. Hysterics and being a drama queen get you nowhere in life. Have 12 days booked again on the Dawn for this year and next., But I may carry my luggage on this time!:eek:

the OP never stated he was a platinum lattitudes member, just a platinum Marriott member. I had problem last year on the Dawn. I was booked in the DOS for 12 days and the cruise line left my luggage at the dock. All I had was what I wore to the ship and a pair of pj's. Thankfully I keep all my meds and computer in my carryon. After spending the day asking about my luggage not reaching my cabin they finally called at 4:30 and aid it was still in Tampa.

Due to many circumstances I didn't receive my luggage until late into day 7 of the cruise. Did I come to CC and rant and holler? No I dealt with the HD and concierge and found some clothes in the gift shop and on shore. Did I come back and rant all over CC? no. I simply wrote a nice letter to corporate telling them of my disappointment by email. Within 2 hours I had an answer and everything was fully resolved. Hysterics and being a drama queen get you nowhere in life. Have 12 days booked again on the Dawn for this year and next., But I may carry my luggage on this time!:eek:

He actually said he was Platinum on NCL in the second line of his letter.

I guess if I was looking for compensation from NCL, I wouldn't say that I wasn't going to cruise with them again. Maybe he should have kept that to himself. Now I think the perfect compensation that NCL can give him is a certificate for 1/2 off another cruise.

Personally I think they should hit those bed bugs with an increased DSC and a 18% auto gratuity , that will run them off.

First it's a terrible thing - I am so sorry op went through this. But this quote made my day! Hilarious.

He actually said he was Platinum on NCL in the second line of his letter.

I guess if I was looking for compensation from NCL, I wouldn't say that I wasn't going to cruise with them again. Maybe he should have kept that to himself. Now I think the perfect compensation that NCL can give him is a certificate for 1/2 off another cruise.

sorry I stand corrected. He threw the word platinum around so often I lost track. As if it would have been any different from someone on the first NCL cruise having bed bugs. Waaaay to much drama in his letter. And the fact that he never came back says something also.

I actually don't think there is any problem with the mention of platinum status in the letter to NCL. Probably the reason that it is being mentioned here so often is because it is stated in this thread title, which does seem a bit bizarre to me, and amplifies the point. Whoever reads the letter at NCL won't have that issue.

Having said that, when reading all the posts on this thread, there were quite a few things discussed which I hadn't noticed when originally reading the letter. It just didn't hold my attention, and I often found myself skipping on to the next paragraph, as what I was reading just seemed to be irrelevant waffle.

That isn't going to do the OP any favours when someone at NCL is struggling through it.

This does not include any of the other issues related to this ship, including way to many people, people fighting over chairs on the pool deck and at the buffet, lots of stress on board, no free deck chairs on the pool deck. We could never enjoy the pool deck on the sea days. Everyone we talked to onboard seemed to have issues with this ship and the stress they were under as well.

Nobody goes on the Epic anymore.

It's too crowded ;)

sorry I stand corrected. He threw the word platinum around so often I lost track. As if it would have been any different from someone on the first NCL cruise having bed bugs. Waaaay to much drama in his letter. And the fact that he never came back says something also.

The OP's post is not even 12 hours old. He may have better things to do then to check CC every hour.