Couple Takes 100 Voyages On Same Ship

ScriptOhio

635621055382918666-vfip-1-copy.jpg

A Central Florida couple epitomizes the ultimate in brand loyalty.

Bernard and Janice Caffary of Lakeland, Fla. on Sunday set sail on their 100th cruise since 2003 aboard the Carnival Sensation, departing from Port Canaveral.

Carnival says no other customer has sailed that many times on the same Carnival ship in the company's 43-year history.

"They love the ship and they love the staff, and it's a big part of their lives," Carnival Cruise Line public relations manager Vance Gulliksen said. "It's a pretty amazing feat. We're very excited to have them."

Janice Caffary, 68, says she and her husband, a 77-year-old retired submarine designer for General Dynamics, enjoy the shows and the food aboard the Sensation.

"It becomes friendly and warm and family, and it stays with you," said Caffary, who is a retired office manager. "We really do like the crew. It's a family atmosphere. A lot of the crew members call us 'mom and 'dad.' "

In addition to their 99 previous Carnival Sensation cruises and 42 on other Carnival-branded ships, the Caffarys have sailed 40 times on other cruise lines, including Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, Princess and Royal Caribbean. Holland America and Princess are Carnival Corp. divisions.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/03/16/carnival-cruise-couple-100/24840609/

paranoia-clipart-k15505034.jpg

GO THEM!!!

Hubby and I were wondering if you were retired and healthy if you could just live on a cruise ship basically? If you booked a basic cabin which includes your meals and entertainment versus the cost of let's say an apartment, utilities, meals, etc......would you come out ahead?

The drawbacks we came up with was lack of personal items, where would you store the stuff you accumulated over a lifetime and doctor visits, etc.

Fun to think about!

GO THEM!!!

Hubby and I were wondering if you were retired and healthy if you could just live on a cruise ship basically? If you booked a basic cabin which includes your meals and entertainment versus the cost of let's say an apartment, utilities, meals, etc......would you come out ahead?

The drawbacks we came up with was lack of personal items, where would you store the stuff you accumulated over a lifetime and doctor visits, etc.

Fun to think about!

There was a story recently about a retired woman that lives on a Princess ship. Been on there for several years, and lived on an HAL ship for a year or 2 before that! (She changed ships when HAL got rid of their dance hosts, becuase she loves to dance after dinner each evening.)

It really was an interesting read. I have to say though I would never do it. I LOVE to travel, and I LOVE to cruise, but I cruise for the destinations more than the ships themselves, so staying on one ship going to the same places week after week after week just isnt that appealing to me.

There was a story recently about a retired woman that lives on a Princess ship. Been on there for several years, and lived on an HAL ship for a year or 2 before that! (She changed ships when HAL got rid of their dance hosts, becuase she loves to dance after dinner each evening.)

It really was an interesting read. I have to say though I would never do it. I LOVE to travel, and I LOVE to cruise, but I cruise for the destinations more than the ships themselves, so staying on one ship going to the same places week after week after week just isnt that appealing to me.

I think that woman has passed away. I'll try to find the article. IIRC, she owned a dance studio.

Here's the link to the lady that lived on a Princess cruise ship, she did pass away in May 2014.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2040782

Edited by elliair

• 2 years later...
Cruise Crazy: Couple Sets Record With 200th Carnival Sailing

I thought this old thread deserved bumping. I did a search of this couple's last name to see if anyone had posted about their latest achievement (see link above) - they've reached 200 cruises with Carnival now! Now that is brand loyalty!! :D

I hope some of the 30 other cruises they have booked are free.

And I thought my coming up to the 70th cruise next month was a lot lol...but I like to go on different ships, sometimes I want the largest and newest ones, sometimes the large ones and not so new and other times smaller quaint ships....but I can't see myself restricting to all those cruises on a Fantasy class ship, but I guess they felt that was their second home in a way.

Yes, I am also considering one day living on a ship...I do have medical problems but that is where international health insurance comes to play, which I always take each trip both land based international and on cruises and it covers pre-existing conditions and I would simply four times a year, skip a week and stay at families in Florida and go to my doctor appointments, just schedule them the same week and or, perhaps fly to the island where the ship is docked and not need to wait for the ship to get back to Florida.

As for personal items, I don't need anything but a few items, as we get older, we tend to get rid of things anyways, and if they are very precious items that you don't want to discard, I am sure you can find a family member that will be able to keep them for you, just place them in a box. Always a solution.