Deck 13

In addition to ships not having a deck numbered 13, all most all ships have a lucky coin welded to the hull. Most Carnival ships have the coin welded to a part of the superstructure and then a coin box is welded over the coin. I have read that Carnival coins can be found near the golf course or water slides..

I think that coin (on HAL ships - owned by Carnival Corporation) could be under a mast. I also think there is actually a ceremony in the shipyard when it is placed. ;)

No reason CC should eliminate page 13, IMO. All books have page 13, any lengthy documents etc

Edited by sail7seas

Only the "floor or deck" 13 is skipped. There is also no cabin number ending in 13. Almost everyone knows of the tradition to skip 13.

In a book you can't skip 13 since it is on the same page as 14. If it was blank or no 13 and 14 everyone would want to know where the missing page is. The same is true when numbering electronic pages. You would never get everyone to go along with it.

Only the "floor or deck" 13 is skipped. There is also no cabin number ending in 13. Almost everyone knows of the tradition to skip 13.

In a book you can't skip 13 since it is on the same page as 14. If it was blank or no 13 and 14 everyone would want to know where the missing page is. The same is true when numbering electronic pages. You would never get everyone to go along with it.

Last year my wife's parents were on Brilliance of the seas... wait for it ......

...............CABIN 9013...................................

happy cruising

Only some ships skip the number 13 in their deck numbering. Many have a deck 13, or they just skip it by always referring to the decks by name. Also, I don't know of any restriction on cabins ending in 13, there are many out there. In maritime lore, the number 13 does not carry the sinister connotations it does ashore.

I think that coin (on HAL ships - owned by Carnival Corporation) could be under a mast. I also think there is actually a ceremony in the shipyard when it is placed. ;)

No reason CC should eliminate page 13, IMO. All books have page 13, any lengthy documents etc

HAL ships follow the old tradition of placing a coin under the mast when it is "stepped" (put in place). If you go to the forward, uppermost deck on any HAL ship you will see a small window at the bottom of the mast- inside you can see the appropriate Dutch florin.

Re: #13 -- Queen Mary 2 has a deck 13. I am inclined to wonder about the silly superstition - even if it is called 14, you are on the 13th floor - so you are only fooling people silly enough tobe concerned. But along these lines - why do parents let their children have 13th birthdays, and refer to them as 13 year olds?