Securing the Safe in cabin

Weena

Just be careful when you input your code. I recently did mine in a hurry and without my glasses half way through the cruise and then couldn't open the safe! I got a few tries and then it told me to bugger off. I waited a while and it let me try again but I had the same result. I was about to give in and go to the passenger services desk and ask to have someone open it for me but I finally decided I must have fat fingered the combination so I tried a similar combination (after having to wait a while again) and it opened right up. I set it back to our "usual" combination again and was careful after that.

The locking mechanism is battery operated & I've had to call to have it fixed being unable to access my safe. Thankfully it wasn't shortly before needing anything in the safe & it's why now the night before we take out essential things we may need early the next morning for a tour, etc. They have responded quickly but sometimes time is tight & I don't want to risk it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have never seen this type of safe used in the places I have ever stayed...have you?

I have only seen it once, on CSI:Miami. It was the stupidest plot-line in history, as anyone could use a stolen card to loot the ship's safes.

I have never seen this type of safe used in the places I have ever stayed...have you?

I have only seen it once, on CSI:Miami. It was the stupidest plot-line in history, as anyone could use a stolen card to loot the ship's safes.

When I have had to use this type of safe, you swiped the card the first time you used the safe and that card had to be used when you wanted to open it. No other card would have opened the safe again.

The locking mechanism is battery operated & I've had to call to have it fixed being unable to access my safe.
That happened to us once, too. Luckily we didn't need to access it quickly. We didn't know it was a dead battery It just didn't work. We told our room steward about it, and he said it happens quite often. It was fixed by the time we returned to the cabin. Edited by Jasperdo

I would not have been happy with a safe of this type onboard and I usually leave my credit cards in the safe (except when going ashore) as we use the sea pass for everything

When I have had to use this type of safe, you swiped the card the first time you used the safe and that card had to be used when you wanted to open it. No other card would have opened the safe again.

Just be careful when you input your code. I recently did mine in a hurry and without my glasses half way through the cruise and then couldn't open the safe! I got a few tries and then it told me to bugger off. I waited a while and it let me try again but I had the same result. I was about to give in and go to the passenger services desk and ask to have someone open it for me but I finally decided I must have fat fingered the combination so I tried a similar combination (after having to wait a while again) and it opened right up. I set it back to our "usual" combination again and was careful after that.

My DH did the same thing on our last cruise only he could not get the safe to open. We were told to call housekeeping . We called housekeeping and waited quite a while. Someone finally came, checked out our safe and told us we would need to call security! WHAT.....why didn't they tell us that originally! Security came (after another wait) they checked out our safe and told us they needed to have someone else open it for us...so we waited AGAIN. The third person was able to open it . Lesson learned....always, always, always take your time and wear your glasses when entering you code .

Edited by jrobinso

My DH did the same thing on our last cruise only he could not get the safe to open. We were told to call housekeeping . We called housekeeping and waited quite a while. Someone finally came, checked out our safe and told us we would need to call security! WHAT.....why didn't they tell us that originally! Security came (after another wait) they checked out our safe and told us they needed to have someone else open it for us...so we waited AGAIN. The third person was able to open it . Lesson learned....always, always, always take your time and wear your glasses when entering you code .

Thats why I make it a point to watch the display flash after I enter the code to make sure what I pressed. :eek:

Thats why I make it a point to watch the display flash after I enter the code to make sure what I pressed. :eek:

Some of us need our glasses to read that. You may think that the numbers on the display are sooooo big anybody could easily read them but... :rolleyes:

And always, ALWAYS, unlock your safe the night before disembarkation and leave it unlocked. This holds true for hotel safes, too. Then, if there is a problem, it can be rectified in plenty of time, not when you're madly rushing to leave.

My situation was to replace the battery but it still required the correct person to open a locked safe. We called the passenger service desk & it wasn't long until the person authorized to open it arrived & fixed it. I'm not positive about his job title but by reporting it to the PSD we got the correct person the 1st time & not with the 3rd crewmember.

I don't know who told you to call housekeeping but I think it requires a security supervisor to open a locked safe. I would think that very few crewmembers are allowed to open a locked safe.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I would hope that Princess will provide whatever plastic card which is necessary for electrical power and safe if required.

No Princess ship requires a plastic card for the safe.

As for the Royal and Regal which do require a card for the lights and TV, Princess does provide a card---your cruise card.

My situation was to replace the battery but it still required the correct person to open a locked safe. We called the passenger service desk & it wasn't long until the person authorized to open it arrived & fixed it. I'm not positive about his job title but by reporting it to the PSD we got the correct person the 1st time & not with the 3rd crewmember.

I don't know who told you to call housekeeping but I think it requires a security supervisor to open a locked safe. I would think that very few crewmembers are allowed to open a locked safe.

I agree, it was crazy. It was about 10 pm, so we weren't in a hurry to disembark. We tried to laugh it off as each crew member would apologize and say they needed to call someone else. We do check each time after we close the safe to verify we put in the correct code, but on this occasion my DH did not have his glasses on. Anyway, no harm was done and I know the crew felt bad about the situation. Lesson learned, plus it gave us another amusing cruise story. I am sure we will be laughing about it for a while.

[quote name='caribill']No Princess ship requires a plastic card for the safe.

As for the Royal and Regal which do require a card for the lights and TV, Princess does provide a card---your cruise card.[/QUOTE]

Good! Won't lose card.

The issue with 4 digit combo's is that there are sprays out there that can be sprayed on your keypad that will show which 4 keys have been used and the thief can get the 4 digits to play with. I wipe all the keys down and then press all of them two times moving my finger around in a circle, wait and then enter the 4 digit combo to lock and open. Only in High End Hotels have I found card swipe safes, but covering all the keys does work to thwart thieves, just don't wipe the keys later. Also do this exercise every couple of days.

[quote name='Steviewonder1']The issue with 4 digit combo's is that there are sprays out there that can be sprayed on your keypad that will show which 4 keys have been used and the thief can get the 4 digits to play with. I wipe all the keys down and then press all of them two times moving my finger around in a circle, wait and then enter the 4 digit combo to lock and open.[/quote]

Seriously?

[quote name='fla_sunshine']Yes, but on the Royal, I repeatedly left the card in the lighting mechanism while leaving the room...and was locked out.[/quote]

But it was not lost. You knew (too late) exactly where it was.

[quote name='Steviewonder1']The issue with 4 digit combo's is that there are sprays out there that can be sprayed on your keypad that will show which 4 keys have been used and the thief can get the 4 digits to play with. I wipe all the keys down and then press all of them two times moving my finger around in a circle, wait and then enter the 4 digit combo to lock and open. Only in High End Hotels have I found card swipe safes, but covering all the keys does work to thwart thieves, just don't wipe the keys later. Also do this exercise every couple of days.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Sounds like a little to much TV lately.
Better call Saul. :D:D[/FONT]

Still means a potential thief has like 4000 possible combinations....i would not sweat it.....to many movies

[quote name='steviewonder1']the issue with 4 digit combo's is that there are sprays out there that can be sprayed on your keypad that will show which 4 keys have been used and the thief can get the 4 digits to play with. I wipe all the keys down and then press all of them two times moving my finger around in a circle, wait and then enter the 4 digit combo to lock and open. Only in high end hotels have i found card swipe safes, but covering all the keys does work to thwart thieves, just don't wipe the keys later. Also do this exercise every couple of days.[/quote]

[quote name='LabGuy64']Still means a potential thief has like 4000 possible combinations....i would not sweat it.....to many movies[/quote]

With only four digits to work with ("the thief can get the 4 digits to play with"), the number of possible combinations is 4! which equals 24 possibilities.