Surge protector on the Star

bibliobelle

My sister and I along with our families will be sailing on the Star this summer. We both own Belkin 3-outlet/2-USB travel surge protectors but are a bit confused about using them in our mini-suites after reading several posts here. Can these surge protectors be plugged directly into the electrical outlets by our desks OR do we need to bring extension cords as well. In looking at the photos of the electrical outlets on the Star, it looks like pretty close quarters. We know there is a rocker light switch on one side and what appears to be a telephone jack on the other with two 3-prong electrical outlets in between. Can a Belkin unit be swiveled in such a way to plug directly into one of the outlets or do we have to first plug in an extension cord? We are trying to travel as "light" as possible and just need to know whether to add an extension cord to each of our packing lists. Thanks!

If the Belkin surge protector is the one pictured below, you will not need an extension cord. We have used it since its introduction on a number of Princess ships with no problems. Yes, it does swivel for best placement.

Lew

372.jpg

Good observation. Yes, the outlets at the desk are very "cozy", so you probably want to bring a cord to get one of the units away from the outlet, and possibly two cords in case they're still too cozy with one directly in the outlet.

I would plug one in at the desk, and I think there is a double outlet behind the TV. EM

That's correct. We're just off the Star and there was a double outlet behind the TV. The TV was plugged into one outlet but the other was open.

OK...I'm still confused so maybe I wasn't clear. My sister and I are in separate mini-suites so each of us only needs to plug in one Belkin travel surge protector. Some say use an extension cord while others say plug in directly to the outlet by the desk. Have any of you actually used the Belkin unit on the Star or sister ship and, if so, what was your experience? Sorry for the confusion.

And my quest to inform the cruising public continues. While I have not found a product that combines a 110v multi-outlet with a USB port that does not contain a surge suppressor, you can get one of each without surge suppression.

Surge suppression is first off not required onboard ship, as the electrical system onboard is different from household systems, and a lightning strike will generally not affect shipboard electrical systems. Surge suppressors protect against large voltage spikes (like lightning), and not against small voltage swings that happen onboard, and are not detrimental to electronics.

Here is the link to the USCG Safety Notice regarding the dangers of using surge suppressors on ships:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/docs/safety%20alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf

For those who will say that they have not had a Belkin confiscated, the reason is that the compact Belkin does not look like a power strip, so gets past scanning. And there is nothing to say that you cannot use one for years without problems onboard, but there is a danger with them, and this is one of the main reason that cruise lines are not allowing power strips but are supplying their own, which are not surge suppressors.

OK...I'm still confused so maybe I wasn't clear. My sister and I are in separate mini-suites so each of us only needs to plug in one Belkin travel surge protector. Some say use an extension cord while others say plug in directly to the outlet by the desk. Have any of you actually used the Belkin unit on the Star or sister ship and, if so, what was your experience? Sorry for the confusion.

We use the Belin unit pictured in a previous post on every cruise.

It fits perfectly (when swiveled properly) plugged in at the outlet by the desk and the outlet next to it is still quite usable.

When on land in a foreign country, be aware that the unit only takes 110V current, so a voltage converter is also required if only 220V is available. Also in foreign lands, a different outlet plug may be required.

Photo below shows its use in a foreign land with 220V.

890910265091014RechargingcamerabatteriesandcellphoneDSC00185_zpsbfe3ec8c.jpg

You won't need an extension cord. I've used a small swivel 3:1 adapter (pictured below) and now bring a an adapter with four USBs.

69ff5defccd4d37586b344eeaae21287.jpg

If the Belkin surge protector is the one pictured below, you will not need an extension cord. We have used it since its introduction on a number of Princess ships with no problems. Yes, it does swivel for best placement.

Lew

372.jpg

Used the same on on Crown without any problems and without any extension cord. The only issue was that, even though I got the higher rated one, it still won't charge my ASUS tablet in the USB slots.

Edited by Thrak

Used the same on on Crown without any problems and without any extension cord. The only issue was that, even though I got the higher rated one, it still won't charge my ASUS tablet in the USB slots.

Really. I've never had any problems charging my Samsung tablets. Strange that it wouldn't work on an ASUS.

Did the same USB outlet charge other devices? It might be a bad unit.

I don't have a ASUS tablet but I'm going to try charging my ASUS laptop tonight and see what happens.

And my quest to inform the cruising public continues. While I have not found a product that combines a 110v multi-outlet with a USB port that does not contain a surge suppressor, you can get one of each without surge suppression.

Surge suppression is first off not required onboard ship, as the electrical system onboard is different from household systems, and a lightning strike will generally not affect shipboard electrical systems. Surge suppressors protect against large voltage spikes (like lightning), and not against small voltage swings that happen onboard, and are not detrimental to electronics.

Here is the link to the USCG Safety Notice regarding the dangers of using surge suppressors on ships:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/docs/safety%20alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf

For those who will say that they have not had a Belkin confiscated, the reason is that the compact Belkin does not look like a power strip, so gets past scanning. And there is nothing to say that you cannot use one for years without problems onboard, but there is a danger with them, and this is one of the main reason that cruise lines are not allowing power strips but are supplying their own, which are not surge suppressors.

We were on the Ruby last Fall using the Belkin and the room steward would unplug it every day. I thought it might have been to free up an outlet for his vacuum but I guess he might have been doing it out of a safety concern. Either way nothing was ever said and I wasn't asked not to use it..

Since there are so many of these Belkin protectors out there maybe the cruise lines should post a little sign near the outlets if they are concerned about their use..

In support of chengkp75's "crusade" against onboard surge suppressors, here is an article from Cruise Critic itself, "5 Things to Pack for Your First Cruise" (http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1741&et_cid=2103337&et_rid=106508375&et_referrer=Boards), in which they include advice on the use of power cords.

As quoted from the article:

"5. Power Strip

With the exception of only the absolute newest cruise ships (we're talking those that debuted in 2014 or later), cruise ship cabins are notorious for not having enough outlet space for all the gadgets and gizmos most cruisers carry with them. The most obvious quick fix is to bring a power strip onboard, but first time cruise passengers need to be aware that cruise lines are incredibly wary about overloading shipboard circuits and have strict rules about what types of power strips may be brought onboard. First rule of thumb, no power surge protected strips may be carried on. Second, keep your power strip small; it should provide only one or two extra outlets for plugging into, not four or five. You might also consider bringing a portable, external charger. You can charge it at the same time you charge your laptop via a USB cable and can then use the external charger later, if needed, for your cell phone or iPod."

In support of chengkp75's "crusade" against onboard surge suppressors, here is an article from Cruise Critic itself, "5 Things to Pack for Your First Cruise" (http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1741&et_cid=2103337&et_rid=106508375&et_referrer=Boards), in which they include advice on the use of power cords.

As quoted from the article:

"5. Power Strip

With the exception of only the absolute newest cruise ships (we're talking those that debuted in 2014 or later), cruise ship cabins are notorious for not having enough outlet space for all the gadgets and gizmos most cruisers carry with them. The most obvious quick fix is to bring a power strip onboard, but first time cruise passengers need to be aware that cruise lines are incredibly wary about overloading shipboard circuits and have strict rules about what types of power strips may be brought onboard. First rule of thumb, no power surge protected strips may be carried on. Second, keep your power strip small; it should provide only one or two extra outlets for plugging into, not four or five. You might also consider bringing a portable, external charger. You can charge it at the same time you charge your laptop via a USB cable and can then use the external charger later, if needed, for your cell phone or iPod."

I agree wholeheartedly here. You'd think the Cruise Critic moderators would step in and delete posts promoting the use of surge protectors as this is a true safety issue.