Loyal HAL cruiser Looking at Dawn

sail7seas

I've sailed HAL over 80 cruises and only them exclusively since about 1994. Prior to that my late DH and I sailed Princess about 5 times, Celebrity the same, RCI once and Carnival once, sort of but that's a long story.

My DH passed away this last year and I've not been able to get myself onto an HAL ship but I want to sail again. Some very dear friends, with whom we sailed HAL in the past, invited me to join them for a Bermuda cruise on Dawn.

I am seriously thinking about it as the date is good and maybe it would get me back to traveling if I go first to a cruise line where I don't know anything or anyone. On HAL, it's impossible for me to sail and not know some crew.

So...... please help with a little info?

They are sailing in a big suite #9506. I have always sailed in HAL's so-called Neptune Suites and would like the equivalent on Dawn. Can you tell me which is the minimum category I can book and still be able to join my friends for whatever dining or pools or lounges they would be visiting. I don't need a huge cabin for myself but do need to know I have access to all facilities they can use.

If I make this booking, I know I'll have lots more questions. :o It feels so funny to be such an experienced cruiser and be so uninformed about this cruise line.

Thank you for any help.

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I hope you do give the Dawn a try. It's my favorite ship and Bermuda can't be beat.

The only other line I've sailed is Princess and while the food was good the ship itself I found boring. I like the entertainment on the Dawn much better.

I've sailed HAL over 80 cruises and only them exclusively since about 1994. Prior to that my late DH and I sailed Princess about 5 times, Celebrity the same, RCI once and Carnival once, sort of but that's a long story.

My DH passed away this last year and I've not been able to get myself onto an HAL ship but I want to sail again. Some very dear friends, with whom we sailed HAL in the past, invited me to join them for a Bermuda cruise on Dawn.

I am seriously thinking about it as the date is good and maybe it would get me back to traveling if I go first to a cruise line where I don't know anything or anyone. On HAL, it's impossible for me to sail and not know some crew.

They are sailing in a big suite #9506. I have always sailed in HAL's so-called Neptune Suites and would like the equivalent on Dawn. Can you tell me which is the minimum category I can book and still be able to join my friends for whatever dining or pools or lounges they would be visiting. I don't need a huge cabin for myself but do need to know I have access to all facilities they can use.

If I make this booking, I know I'll have lots more questions. :o It feels so funny to be such an experienced cruiser and be so uninformed about this cruise line.

Thank you for any help.

The cat. S J suites with the floor to ceiling window's are nice, but no balcony

Hi S7S...I have followed your adventures on the HAL boards for many years and benefitted from your insight when we were cruising on HAL ships. I am sorry for your loss and think that you may be making a wise choice to return to cruising on a different line. Your friends are staying in an Owner's Suite. If you are interested in enjoying the same amenities, the lowest category cabin would be an SJ Family Suite. Your friends will enjoy priority boarding, breakfast and lunch in a dedicated suite dining room, the services of a butler and concierge, etc. Having sailed in the Neptune Suites previously, I think you would be very comfortable in either the forward facing SC suites (they have a very large balcony comparable in size to the SA balconies on HAL) OR my personal preference which are the SF AFT suites (Deck 10 have the largest balcony sizes but still somewhat smaller than the SA's on HAL). All suite categories from SJ and up provide butler service, concierge service, priority embarkation and disembarkation. The Dawn has a special place in my heart since we experienced our first Suite on the Dawn in 2002 and have never looked back. There are also 2-BDR Family Suites on Deck 11 that are fantastic with a balcony size of about 54SF. The bathroom off of the master bedroom is awesome and this in fact was the first suite we ever stayed in. If you have any other questions I will be happy to try to answer them. You may find that you enjoy the variety of specialty restaurants (LeBistro is my personal favorite, followed by Cagney's and in my opinion the food and service exceeds that of the Pinnacle Grill - but that's just my opinion).

We have sailed many lines and think NCL has the best suite package of all. We have been on Dawn twice; once in a suite and now cannot go back.

Here is a link that described suites overall:

http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/cruise-suites-and-penthouses.

You might be looking for a penthouse suite and there are categories of those depending if you want forward, aft or midship.

You can go on the NCL site and look for deck plans for Dawn.

Have a great cruise. You will love the butler and concierge service along with breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.

While I can't provide any input on your cabin choice (I'm cheap and balcony is the most I'll go), we've cruised HAL (once), Princess (3 times), and DCL (once). We are cruising the Dawn and NCL for the first time this summer on the Bermuda run, mainly because we live local and can drive to the port. We're looking forward to trying a new line, even though we expect the "Freestyle" experience to be completely different than what we have had on the previous lines.

I was very sorry to hear about your DH when he did pass (I do lurk and occasionally post on the HAL board), and hope you do join your friends on the Dawn. While it won't be the same experience as traveling with your DH, I'm sure that you will have a wonderful experience.

I so appreciate the help and admit getting used to description of difference suite levels is confusing for me.

I must have a balcony as a place I know I can go for quiet time if I need to get through a 'sad moment or two'. I get uneasy when I read 'family suite' and two bedrooms. I'm going to be in the cabin alone and two bedrooms could be awfully lonely.

The "SC" sounds like it could work but if it is far forward, it likely is too windy to sit out when the ship is sailing? I'd hate to not be able to use it because of wind.... what about rough ride? Is there more motion far forward?

I so hope I don't sound like I'm putting down all your suggestions as I'm not. I'm just trying to see what all my options are. Of course, none of us like paying double for a single person but I understand that is how it is. I hate to book two bedrooms or family suite and have way more space than I can use. HAL's Neptune Suites are about 584 sq ft including verandah on the "S" and "R" class ships and that was perfect for me and DH. I'd even be happy in that amount of space on my own.

I've heard a lot about Cagney's and it sounds terrific. :) Is that only for Suite guests?

I'll miss Neptune Lounge as I've gotten so used to it on HAL and really enjoy being able to pop in for a snack etc whenever I want.

I went to the Link Loucat provided..... :) Thank you.

I looked at Penthouse and that looks reasonably like Neptune Cabins on HAL.

Were I to book a Penthouse, could I go to all the venues and have the amenities our friends in the large suite will have?

Thanks so much for your patience with me. :o

Sail,

I'm very sad to hear about your loss. I haven't been on the HAL board for a while and miss everyone. I am booking two cruises this year on Norweigan, one in June and the other over Christmas. I wish HAL did the Caribbean in the summer but I can understand why they don't.

I wish you God's comfort and many more happy cruises.

God bless and keep you, Vic

I went to the Link Loucat provided..... :) Thank you.

I looked at Penthouse and that looks reasonably like Neptune Cabins on HAL.

Were I to book a Penthouse, could I go to all the venues and have the amenities our friends in the large suite will have?

Thanks so much for your patience with me. :o

DO NOT book deck 8 Aft.

It's over the night club , noisy till late .

Deck 10 aft. is best.

Forward does have more motion and wind . Deck 12 suites forward were new add ons a few years back . ;)

Hi Sail. My recommendation would be an SD, which is a family suite with balcony. That is about the same size as the S on HAL. Failing that, I'd opt for an SF, aft facing penthouse, but only if you can get Deck 10. That would certainly be comfortable for a solo. The forward facing PHs (SE) are also nice, but you may be bothered by movement/wind. Any room category that starts with "S" will get you the same suite benefits as your friends.

We are 3* Mariners on HAL. POA1 is my BIL. His email on his website. You are free to get a hold of me through him. I'm happy to help any way I can. We were all sorry to hear about your loss of your beloved Robert.

DO NOT book deck 8 Aft.

It's over the night club , noisy till late .

Deck 10 aft. is best.

Forward does have more motion and wind . Deck 12 suites forward were new add ons a few years back . ;)

Hi Sail. My recommendation would be an SD, which is a family suite with balcony. That is about the same size as the S on HAL. Failing that, I'd opt for an SF, aft facing penthouse, but only if you can get Deck 10. That would certainly be comfortable for a solo. The forward facing PHs (SE) are also nice, but you may be bothered by movement/wind. Any room category that starts with "S" will get you the same suite benefits as your friends.

We are 3* Mariners on HAL. POA1 is my BIL. His email on his website. You are free to get a hold of me through him. I'm happy to help any way I can. We were all sorry to hear about your loss of your beloved Robert.

Very helpful. Thank you.

POA is terrific!!!! I have his e-mail but haven't written for some time. :o

I appreciate your kind words about my very dear Robert. I have not yet been able to get myself on a ship (any ship) without him.

The NCL site has been down for hours. I have never before looked at it so I am eager for it to come back on line.

I'm going to have to cast a vote for an aft facing suite on deck 9 or 10. They're quite, and you also get the wonderful smells of the bakery from below :). They're not as large as the HAL suites you described, but I loved the layout and storage in our deck 9 suite. Cagney's is available to suite guest only for breakfast and lunch, but is an up charge restaurant for dinner. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, and hope that you can honor his memory with your future sailings :). I think you will really enjoy the Dawn, and if you go, please report your wonderful experience back to us. Happy Sailings!

Thank you for any help.

S7S,

Can't tell you much about the equivalent cabin on Dawn compared to HAL but I just wanted to say how sorry i am to hear of your loss.

I did sail on the Dawn within the last 2 years and loved every aspect of it even though we stayed in an inside cabin.

I am sure you will love it.

Bill

Thank you, Bill. What a kind message.

Dawn sounds like a lovely ship and seems to have many who really like her. :)

I am looking at the forward facing penthouse cabins but have been told they can be too windy to use the balcony when the ship is moving. Can anyone here confirm that?

I'm not fond of aft facing view and my friends will be forward so it's a long walk from all the way forward to all the way aft. At night, after dinner, I'm not sure I want to walk that far especially if in heels. :D

I would recommend the SD family suite with balcony. It is a beautiful room, it is forward on the ship, and very close to the pool and buffet. It also has a beautiful bathroom, and is newer than most of the other suites on the ship. It is our favorite room type on the Dawn.

Take a look at cabin 11020 the location (port or starboard) would work well for you. We love this particular suite and have sailed in it twice. AFT penthouses Deck 10 are also very special with large balconies and is a good size for John and I. The relaxation room of the spa is directly above you and the suite is very quiet (10666 or 10166 are favorites). On The three cruises listed in my signature all of the cabins are Deck 10 AFT penthouses. I think you will really enjoy the butler service!

I am looking at the forward facing penthouse cabins but have been told they can be too windy to use the balcony when the ship is moving. Can anyone here confirm that?

I'm not fond of aft facing view and my friends will be forward so it's a long walk from all the way forward to all the way aft. At night, after dinner, I'm not sure I want to walk that far especially if in heels. :D

It can be windy , and you may have to turn out your balcony light's so not to bother the bridge at times .

But !! The ship is parked for 3 days in Bermuda with a beautiful breeze on your balcony .

Check out the dockyard view = http://portbermudawebcam.com/

Edited by biker@sea

Hi, and welcome to NCL.

First, condolences are being sent your way.

Do you know what type of suite your friends will be in? If that's something that will work for you you might want to book the same type as they will be as near to each other as you choose to be.

If your friends are in a suite and you book a suite (no matter what suite they have or what suite you choose) you will get all the perks they do.

Harriet

My condolences to you for the loss of your husband.

Two years ago, I was in an SJ suite on deck 12, 12506, is a lovely suite with a living room, one bedroom and huge bath with separate shower & tub. There are ceiling to floor windows in the livingroom and bedroom, but no balcony.

I did not miss the balcony, because the pool deck is steps away.

This suite will entitle you to all of the services of butler, conscierge, breakfast and lunch at Cagney's, and many other perks.

NCL cruises are freestyle, meaning that you don't have set dinnertimes, and there is no official formal night. NCL has a Dress up or Not Night.

I think that you will enjoy the Dawn, as we have been on it at least three times, for Bermuda and repositioning cruises. We'll also be back this summer.

With NCL's relaxed dress code-----resort casual, you may not need the heels. I wear dressy flats to dinner.

I also want to say I'm very sorry about the loss of your husband.

We sail in both SF aft suites and SE forward. It's a hard choice! For the ride down and back from Boston could be windy or bumpy my vote would be the aft SF. But.... Since you're going to be docked in Betmuda for 3 days I might lean a little more towards the SE to be able to enjoy that huge balcony for 3 days.

One thing to also keep in mind is depending on forward vs aft and how the ship docks your view may be impacted- which might make me chose one of the side suites...

Now that I typed that I don't think I've been very helpful :o

Hi Sail,

I opened the link to see if I could provide any helpful information and I was so surprised to find you as the one posting the question. I then read your reasoning and think you are making a very sensible decision. My condolences on your loss and my best wishes for your continued sea travels.

I've never stayed in a suite on the Dawn, so I can't help you with the specific choice but I can offer some opinions about suite life on HAL vs. NCL.

While NCL does not have a Neptune lounge, it does have butler and concierge service. The butler is in charge of things inside the room, the concierge is for services on the rest of the ship. Like HAL you will be served afternoon snacks, but the butler may try and find out what types of treats you would specifically enjoy, rather than bringing you just a a standard plate. For example, we tell the butler we like pretzel rolls and cheese, and cookies for our son. We also like a pitcher of iced tea daily. You will have a phone number directly to the butler and you order room service directly from him. You will still have a room steward who will do the daily cleaning.

The concierge on NCL does everything the HAL concierge does, and then more. Since NCL does not have traditional dining times at all, you can use the concierge to make reservations for your party at the dining room or any of the specialty restaurants. I would be very surprised if the concierge could not get whatever reservation you wanted every single night. The same is true for spa appointments, etc. In addition to reaching them by phone, the concierges usually are in Cagney's during breakfast and lunch times circulating and seeing if there is anything they can do for you.

HAL ships are frankly more elegant in my opinion but the Dawn is nice, and not too big. If there are any other questions I can answer, please do not hesitate to ask.

I just realized I could have seen your name under the title of the post, but I missed that originally.

Edited by NYteacher