Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

True, and certainly the freedom of choice is manifest.

A couple of thoughts:

Unlike specialty dining, there are occasions where room service is likely the only option for cruisers-- when they are not feeling well. It is during that time that we would prefer to be utilizing room service rather than trying to grit their way through a buffet or MDR. I do believe that there will be an increase in viral illnesses on NCL with this policy.

Also, I think there will be an increase in food waste, as many will look to maximize their value. If I know that I might use room service for breakfast, and lunch, I'm likely to order the entire meal, and likely to do so for the entire room, rather than accrue multiple service charges. Our usage of RS has always been for a pot of coffee and a single pastry or fruit in the morning as we sit on the balcony-- this is not worth the additional service charge, but would be missed as well. (I guess I could order 7 pots of coffee and 7 breakfasts on day one, and save them in the mini fridge!)

I do hope that NCL will reconsider, I think complimentary room service is a valued product on a cruise, and would make a difference in my choice of lines.

Cheers

NLH beat me to it, but, yes. If the ship orders you into quarantine, I suspect they'll take care of you. If I stay in because I'm not feeling well, the service charge would be well worth it. Besides, I'm not going to be spending on other things if I feel to yucky to venture out.

Maybe they will reconsider. As stated, social media is powerful. I would suggest that folks be polite voicing their displeasure. Hysteria is not the most effective approach.

Consider this, y'all. If NCL "gets away" with it, watch for other lines to follow suit. It didn't take long for that 18% thingie to jump lines.

OK. So how much advance notice is enough?

I don't think it would make any difference if the cruise line made it so those past final payment would be unaffected. There would still be weeping and wailing and rending of garments.

Example. Celebrity has given passengers until 20 April to purchase or upgrade drink packages before the price goes up. Some have multiple cruises booked into 2017, and they don't want to drop a big lump sum this far out. It would be nice if those already booked could purchase at the lower price, but come on. Is the cruise line supposed to give two yars notice?

On the flip side, how many of those before final payment, including moi, have actually canceled? Reading the NCL and X boards, one would think both lines are doomed to going out of business.

Well I for one am considering cancelling, and I am way before final payment. But not just over the cost of RS, nor would I do so just for an added fee but for lots of added fee's and issues about if Cagny's is now included in the UDP and other questions I have concerning where NCL is going.

Lol. Im glad you get it with me Sometimes we need to be more our brothers keeper. I think if that were me, how would i feel? Im mad for them. I have time make changes . They didnt have a Choice. Those on Breakaway and Getaway i mean.

I think ,if i was in the breakaway last week.i would have Spent weeks dreaming ordering room service, having breakfast on my balcony in my bathrobe and slippers, watching life slowly pass by.ahh tranquility like no other. ...then boom i get a bill for $10. WTH !! I expected free room service. It would have dampen my cruise. I probably would not sail NCL again.

Carnival for instance, still delivered in giving goods and service as promised. They also included room service with the price of the cruise fare. They gave 2 week notice for roll out of the expanded menu. Then added pay options. This is where it becomes a choice. I can still have "free" room service as promised when they sold me the cruise or the CHOICE to pay. here the choice argument is valid in this instance . So no one can get mad a carnival because its still free, it may not be the best menu but they delivered on services promised.

I know im preaching to the choir with you. :)

Who knows we may run into each other on our travels...we definitely would have to a lot of laughs for sure.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

You really think people gearing up for a cruise are dreaming of the room service? Maybe I'm alone on this but i get excited thinking about all the awesome things to do on the ship not sit in my room lol. I can do that at home for free.

I think there is too much credit to this having been well thought out.

The same thing happened when the UBP was rolled out no one on the ships had a clue, it was make it up as they went along.

That aside, one strategy as a new guy is make all the changes quickly, make your staff cuts adjust prices etc. get all the nasty stuff in place quickly.

Then you work on the other stuff trying to make things better,

What I don't yet understand is where NCL will be pitching itself in the market there is no clear message yet, in fact there is no message on some of the changes.

It really hard to see what you are buying in a years time and what will happen next with Choice and pricing.

One problem is the other low end/mid lines have been getting more like NCL so some of the USPs are no longer so "U" anymore.

Edited by insidecabin

You think? All NCL has to do is to roll out some good cruise deals to tease the customers. Everything will be forgotten and forgiven in a heart beat. Consumers have short memories when it comes to bargains and cheap cruise. The few die hard may continue to yell boycott but thousands will be burning up the reservation line to book their next NCL Let's Go cruise.

thats is the thing. FDR said in his interview that he does not believe in lowering cruise fares to fill ships and wants to find a way to get more money per passenger. NCL'S prices are considerable higher in 2016 on a lot of their itineraries comparatively to previous years.

so now, you have lost the trust of your customer base. and you want those same people to pay higher base rates with less inclusive amenities, higher drink prices, higher DSC, higher on board services and more unannounced convenience fees.

yes the people will still cruise, but not necessarily with ncl. i think what people will do is look around to find who is going to give them the best value for the money. they are going to say but NCL nickles and dimes you to death, you have to pay for xxx and its included on this cruise.

its no longer going to be" ncl is a good product", "they care about their passengers". "ncl we feel like family, its like coming home" therefore i will book ncl regardless.

OTOH if ncl lowers the price i mean great deals, heck yea all is forgiven, cheap is cheap even with the add ons..face it we all can be bought with the right price!

only time will tell.

*all of this ive seen through my crystal ball*:p

You really think people gearing up for a cruise are dreaming of the room service? Maybe I'm alone on this but i get excited thinking about all the awesome things to do on the ship not sit in my room lol. I can do that at home for free.

Yes...so what?

yep. i have friends who travel on cruises they stay in the cabins the entire cruise enjoying the balcony. they dont like meeting people. i look at her crazy when she tells me this. is that what i do,?heck no. im too nosy to stay in my cabin unless im sick as a dog like last cruise:o

but believe it or not for a lot of people that is a vacation for them! the highlight of the vacation. i tell her all the time she and her hubby would hate me, as i would have their butts out that cabin doing everything!!!:D

at the end of the day its their money and if that is how they want spend it, who are we to say its wrong. to each their own.

Edited by tiffygirl

Just got off the Breakaway this morning. Room service was a nightmare. The charge was an annoyance but even more than that was the fact that their own staff was clueless to the changes. Mid-cruise they gave us a second new menu that had additions to it and staff was arguing with me that I was looking at the wrong menu. Took 2 phone calls, a visit from the housekeeping supervisor and 40 minutes to place an order. Don't think I will be cruising like a Norwegian again.

what were the additions, more food options? or do you mean you had not receive the menu with the upgraded fine print? hope you had a good cruise otherwise.

Edited by tiffygirl

Perhaps I should have worded it better as it wasn't meant to mean you personally were going to bring them down, more like "the masses" Time will tell if they fail or continue to succeed.

It';s great that you are taking action since you feel so strongly about it and that's exactly what those that feel the same way should do.

Either way as I said it's made for quite a lively debate of differing opinions/viewpoints. I wish you nothing but the happiest of sailings in the future!

TheCapt

i gotcha!!;)

thank you, and happy cruising to you as well.

Edited by tiffygirl

NLH beat me to it, but, yes. If the ship orders you into quarantine, I suspect they'll take care of you. If I stay in because I'm not feeling well, the service charge would be well worth it. Besides, I'm not going to be spending on other things if I feel to yucky to venture out.

Maybe they will reconsider. As stated, social media is powerful. I would suggest that folks be polite voicing their displeasure. Hysteria is not the most effective approach.

Consider this, y'all. If NCL "gets away" with it, watch for other lines to follow suit. It didn't take long for that 18% thingie to jump lines.

The service charge would be worth it to me as well. But how many people just wanting some light fare and are not feeling well, are going to pay the service so as to not put their fellow passengers at risk? My guess is that most will not feel it worth it, and will just hit the buffet.

Perhaps those who are probably not caring about the charge are not using RS that often. Would the feeling be the same if MDR required a convenience fee per person, per meal, as it requires greater service than RS or the buffet?

Cheers

<snip>

Perhaps those who are probably not caring about the charge are not using RS that often. Would the feeling be the same if MDR required a convenience fee per person, per meal, as it requires greater service than RS or the buffet?

Cheers

I posed that same question a few hours ago - a deafening silence so far...

Cheers

If they do then I'll say exactly what I have said regarding the RS fee. As a consumer I have a choice to book with NCL or not book with them. If I had already booked and could not cancel? Then again, I'd have to just deal with it for that cruise and then choose to use NCL or another line.

I will say that like any other industry once one line does it the others will follow suit(as we all know.) We can debate whether it is "the right thing to do" or "They are/have gone about it the wrong way" until we are all blue in the face. Doing so isn't going to change the fact that it has been/was implemented.

It is ones right to be upset over the milk getting spilled though and as I said it has been an interesting debate/discussion.

TheCapt

Although I rarely use this service, I really am put off by this new charge. The only time I've used this is when I'm seasick and just too sick to leave the room, so it's convenient. I know my it was helpful for my niece on the Getaway this past November. That ship has so much movement it was nice to order at no charge, cause I would have told her no. I know this is all part of the new CEO decision to "get just a few more dollars from his customers." First no lobster, then the increase in gratuities and now this. I've also noticed an increase in cruise prices for this line. At the end of the day I'm going to book the cruise that has the most bang for my buck and it might not be NCL next time. All the other lines include this service at no charge, I hope no one else follows suit, it's starting to get out of hand.

If they do then I'll say exactly what I have said regarding the RS fee. As a consumer I have a choice to book with NCL or not book with them. If I had already booked and could not cancel? Then again, I'd have to just deal with it for that cruise and then choose to use NCL or another line.

I will say that like any other industry once one line does it the others will follow suit(as we all know.) We can debate whether it is "the right thing to do" or "They are/have gone about it the wrong way" until we are all blue in the face. Doing so isn't going to change the fact that it has been/was implemented.

It is ones right to be upset over the milk getting spilled though and as I said it has been an interesting debate/discussion.

TheCapt

Agreed --and thanks-- Cap. It will have an effect on the choice of lines for my family.

It seems by your logic, any discussion on this topic is irrelevant and moot as to any effect it might have on the actions of the line. Do you think that significant feedback in forums, and in actions (as some have suggested in the forum), will not have any effect on NCL's future choices? That may be the case, but seems rather defeatist.

I have seen NCL and other lines provide direct response to the voices of customers (through many routes). It is my hope that enough of the voices and actions will register with NCL so that they will avoid making (what I view as) a significant negative change to their product, and risk the effects that may come with it.

Cheers

Many posters have not noticed or are having a memory lapse regarding the BIG PICTURE.

Within 2 months of NCL buying Regent & Oceania cruise lines, NCL's CEO Sheehan made a surprise "I'm outta here" despite having just signed 3 year contract with bonuses to run the merged cruise lines. This is quickly followed by the firing of NCL's newly hired CEO Masden. In the short span of 3 months, Regent/Oceania's CEO, DelRio, moves up from heading the purchased subsidiary lines to running the mega merged lines.

In one of DelRio's first public discussions he announces he's is going to increase NCL's bottom line.

Within 2 months, he raises prices and cuts back product and services.

1. Increase Daily Service Charge

2. Decrease employee's covered by Daily Service Charge

3. Cut Back Platinum perk of comp dinner w/ wine a LeBistro for each member to one per cabin.

4. Removes employees from participation in Daily Service Charge when assigned to Specialty Restaurants.

5. Adds new 18% Service Charge to Specialty Restaurants.

6. Without warning, adds Room Service Convenience Charge.

7. Adds 18% Service Charge On top of new Room Convenience Charge.

and there appears there is no end in sight.

For those of you old enough to remember the great entertainer, Al Jolson, he had a saying after finishing his first song an evening's performance:

"You aint seen nothin, yet."

Hang On Folks. I think it's going to be a bumpy ride ......... and not from high seas.

Edited by Uniall

I'm a retired prosecutor married to my bride of 25 years who is a retired high school principal.

We are enjoying retirement to the fullest and spend 2 to 3 months a year cruising.

We are both believers in an old legal saying that the best Last Will and Testament is 10 words long:

"Being of sound mind and body we spent it all"

I love that last line. [emoji6]

Many posters have not noticed or are having a memory lapse regarding the BIG PICTURE.

Within 2 months of NCL buying Regent & Oceania cruise lines, NCL's CEO Sheehan made a surprise "I'm outta here" despite having just signed 3 year contract with bonuses to run the merged cruise lines. This is quickly followed by the firing of NCL's newly hired CEO Masden. In the short span of 3 months, Regent/Oceania's CEO, DelRio, moves up from heading the purchased subsidiary lines to running the mega merged lines.

In one of DelRio's first public discussions he announces he's is going to increase NCL's bottom line.

3. Cut Back Platinum perk of comp dinner w/ wine a LeBistro for each member to one per cabin.

4. Removes employees from participation in Daily Service Charge when assigned to Specialty Restaurants.

For those of you old enough to remember the great entertainer, Al Jolson, he had a saying after finishing his first song an evening's performance:

Hang On Folks. I think it's going to be a bumpy ride ......... and not from high seas.

8. Spongebob disappears from NCL next year apparently:eek: - Oh the horror - the world is now definitely ending:rolleyes:.

Sorry to ask this...BUT..is this a definite ?

"3. Cut Back Platinum perk of comp dinner w/ wine a LeBistro for each member to one per cabin."

With everything going on...I may have missed the announcement. :o(and some posters say yes..others no...:confused:)

Agreed --and thanks-- Cap. It will have an effect on the choice of lines for my family.

It seems by your logic, any discussion on this topic is irrelevant and moot as to any effect it might have on the actions of the line. Do you think that significant feedback in forums, and in actions (as some have suggested in the forum), will not have any effect on NCL's future choices? That may be the case, but seems rather defeatist.

I have seen NCL and other lines provide direct response to the voices of customers (through many routes). It is my hope that enough of the voices and actions will register with NCL so that they will avoid making (what I view as) a significant negative change to their product, and risk the effects that may come with it.

Cheers

No Doc, while it may appear that I feel the discussion is irrelevant I don't believe it is at all. I'm actually enjoying the debate and different viewpoints on the subject. I agree that social media and forums are ways to vent and perhaps even initiate change.

Perhaps NCL will here the "many voices" that seem to be crying out regarding these changes. It's great to be hopeful that they will. However it's also realistic to expect NCL to move full steam ahead with these changes and many more that have the potential to increase their bottom line.

I've said before(in this thread I believe and the others like it) that i have no problem with the discussion in general but I do take issue with the "it's not fair" "I am a loyal customer how dare they do this I'm special" crowd. As I stated before NCL thinks of you as a number. They always have and they always will despite what you may have perceived in the pat before these changes.

I also know that stating the above will ruffle some posters feathers but that's how a big corporation looks at it's customers. That's the reality and the rule.

I'm not saying folks should "get over it" but I am saying that they have a choice for future cruises. They also have a choice to use RS and specialty dining on a cruise they already have booked. NCL has changed the rules and while it may not have been "fair" for them to do so, they did it anyway. As we all know life isn't fair and it never has been(at least most people I know realize this)

Either way I hope that those who are upset take action and above all not let it ruin a cruise they already have booked.

TheCapt

I thought the lobster left the MDR under Mr. Sheehan's regime.

It did. But that just went away this past summer. Now there have been more negative changes since. This has all happened in the last 9 or so months. Not even a year has gone by before they have started changing/charging more things. Gotta pay for those new ships I guess.

OTOH if ncl lowers the price i mean great deals, heck yea all is forgiven, cheap is cheap even with the add ons..face it we all can be bought with the right price!

Now we are talking. Isn't capitalism great? :)

I see it the same way.

Uniall .. I totally agree with your overall interpretation.

Where did you discover the change for Platinum regarding Le Bistro? The two dinners in Le Bistro were something we were looking forward to..as well as the wine. :(

We (DH and I) each received dinner for 2 last month on the Gem. And a poster on another thread (who is on the Getaway now) stated he and his DW each received the dinner for 2 platinum reward. So it may be something coming in the future (wouldn't be surprised), but I don't believe it has been implemented yet.