Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I certainly respect the opinions of veteran cruisers, but I sure as heck am not going to take everything they say or discuss as Gospel.

Happy Sailings,

TheCapt

Have a great first cruise!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Did you have to pay the 18% auto gratuity on top of the balcony fee?

That is it from my point of view. If NCL wants to charge $10/glass for tap water, they can, as long as proper notice is given, and people who put a deposit down when tap water was free are grandfather in to free tap water.

I agree with you. Ncl problem has been the lack of notice they gave their cruisers some experiencing the change while on board. If you sign a contract where things are offered as free suck as room service, no 18% gratuity in specialty restaurants but when you get on board all that has changed i would be upset too, so i can understand some people being unhappy. Also as i understand it they can make changes at any time is in the contract guidelines as well.:(

Edited by qtaromar1970

We cruised on getaways april 4th sailing the food was phenomenal the service even better (granted we only went to for a fee restaurants) but we were truly pampered, every minute on the ship felt like a minute in heaven. The first day I was upset about their being a room service fee - but then I really could care less, if anything it helped me keep a few extra pounds off - because I was so irritated by this charge prior to our sailing - I decided to take a large food tray with me and that was great - every morning I went ahead for breakfast with the tray and woke my fiancee with breakfast in bed - which tasted a million times better and warmer then room service ever would. Was I upset about not getting my cookies and milk at 11 at night a little bit - but after cagneys, moderno, etc there was just no room. And I feel like this if NCL charging $5 for room service allows them to give me the beverage package for free I am all for it lol - rccl is my wife but ncl is a great mistress :cool:

We cruised on getaways april 4th sailing the food was phenomenal the service even better (granted we only went to for a fee restaurants) but we were truly pampered, every minute on the ship felt like a minute in heaven. The first day I was upset about their being a room service fee - but then I really could care less, if anything it helped me keep a few extra pounds off - because I was so irritated by this charge prior to our sailing - I decided to take a large food tray with me and that was great - every morning I went ahead for breakfast with the tray and woke my fiancee with breakfast in bed - which tasted a million times better and warmer then room service ever would. Was I upset about not getting my cookies and milk at 11 at night a little bit - but after cagneys, moderno, etc there was just no room. And I feel like this if NCL charging $5 for room service allows them to give me the beverage package for free I am all for it lol - rccl is my wife but ncl is a great mistress :cool:

Some folks are too lazy to get out of bed. ;)

Wow this thread is actually almost completely done I'm shocked lol

No not quite yet - When NCL recognizes the folly of their unannounced changes/charges and ends the TEST on the two ships then the end will be in sight.

All the TAs I have spoken with about future travel with NCL I have made it clear to pass it up the chain of the "Dilbert" aka Peter Principle organization that

this is certainly not the way I expect NCL to conduct its travel business.

Stop using the customer/passenger as an experimental guinea pig without the benefit of notification of change or option out without charge !

Customers scrimp and save some for months and years to take a memorable voyage and then to have the rug pulled out from under them with these

experimental charges without announcement.

Granted that not all customers fall into this category and the small amount charged for Room Service should be sustainable but dreams made on a budget

are not. When you expect the full enchilada room service as part of the contract made with NCL then this should not be changed without notification.

And that notification should not be when you step off the gangplank onto the ship where you are chained to the oars without notice !

Side Note:

Why didn't NCL just simply raise the cruise rates (which I am sure they did for all the promos) to hide the Room Service charges and create the ALL INCLUSIVE -

the fare includes everything including whatever Room Service is required by the customer ?

Management by blind folded dart throwing is not an acceptable business practice - DID YOU GET THE MESSAGE NCL ?

Some folks are too lazy to get out of bed. ;)

Some people just want and expect a treat on vacation, not really about laziness.

I only used room service for dinner one night. I'd gone to the MDR, salad was sent back due to brown lettuce didn't chance a replacement, pasta was awful picked at it and called it a night. I was tired and unwilling to work for dinner a second time. I went back to my cabin and ordered a sandwich, dessert and iced tea and then relaxed so I could have energy for a fun night. No regrets and I didn't spend a lot of energy complaining to MDR management. I quietly retreated to my cabin and utilized my options. I think it would be unfair for NCL to charge me $5-8 for that and I'd make a push to have the fee waived or have the MDR management provide an OBC to cover that charge.

Some people just want and expect a treat on vacation, not really about laziness.

I only used room service for dinner one night. I'd gone to the MDR, salad was sent back due to brown lettuce didn't chance a replacement, pasta was awful picked at it and called it a night. I was tired and unwilling to work for dinner a second time. I went back to my cabin and ordered a sandwich, dessert and iced tea and then relaxed so I could have energy for a fun night. No regrets and I didn't spend a lot of energy complaining to MDR management. I quietly retreated to my cabin and utilized my options. I think it would be unfair for NCL to charge me $5-8 for that and I'd make a push to have the fee waived or have the MDR management provide an OBC to cover that charge.

Honestly that's why I prefer the specialty restaurants I'm not an MDR kind of guy

No not quite yet - When NCL recognizes the folly of their unannounced changes/charges and ends the TEST on the two ships then the end will be in sight.

All the TAs I have spoken with about future travel with NCL I have made it clear to pass it up the chain of the "Dilbert" aka Peter Principle organization that

this is certainly not the way I expect NCL to conduct its travel business.

Stop using the customer/passenger as an experimental guinea pig without the benefit of notification of change or option out without charge !

Customers scrimp and save some for months and years to take a memorable voyage and then to have the rug pulled out from under them with these

Granted that not all customers fall into this category and the small amount charged for Room Service should be sustainable but dreams made on a budget

are not. When you expect the full enchilada room service as part of the contract made with NCL then this should not be changed without notification.

And that notification should not be when you step off the gangplank onto the ship where you are chained to the oars without notice !

Side Note:

Why didn't NCL just simply raise the cruise rates (which I am sure they did for all the promos) to hide the Room Service charges and create the ALL INCLUSIVE -

the fare includes everything including whatever Room Service is required by the customer ?

Management by blind folded dart throwing is not an acceptable business practice - DID YOU GET THE MESSAGE NCL ?

Ha! Doubtful. :rolleyes:

Have you sailed since the new menus and "upgraded" food were rolled out? We we sailed on the Getaway last year, I had no complaints about the MDR food at all. It really was very good, and the quality had improved greatly from other NCL cruises.

Edited by SissasMomE

Side Note:

Why didn't NCL just simply raise the cruise rates (which I am sure they did for all the promos) to hide the Room Service charges and create the ALL

If they just simply raised the cruise rates, then those customers will have to save more, will have to scrimp and save longer. By giving customers a choice on what they want to spend their money on (instead of being forced to by raising the fares) while on the ship, is, IMHO, a better way to go. If I don't want to pay it, then I don't have to.

I would assume that NCL, like every other company, has meetings, discussions, etc., before willy nilly changing things. For all we know, all of these current changes could have been on the table before the new management took over. I know if I owned the company, I would do things differently and I'm guessing if you owned the company, you would do it differently, but until then, I guess we either have to cruise with them with these changes (and any changes that might be coming) or we take our money elsewhere.

If they just simply raised the cruise rates, then those customers will have to save more, will have to scrimp and save longer. By giving customers a choice on what they want to spend their money on (instead of being forced to by raising the fares) while on the ship, is, IMHO, a better way to go. If I don't want to pay it, then I don't have to.

That really is a very good way of looking at it. I admit, I did not consider that at all.

Edited by SissasMomE

When I booked my cruise Room Service was included in the fare. Now they have added a fee, yet my cruise fare hasn't dropped since I booked.

I am not being forced to pay it, but the fact is something that was included as an inducement to book is no longer included.

We live well within our means and budget smartly. I would not go on a vacation if it meant "scrimping" or over-extending our family budget. You make it sound like NCL made a choice that benefits everyone and makes their lives *that* little bit easier by introducing a new, optional fee while not providing any proof of savings on the fare whatsoever. I just don't see it as some benevolent action; they just bet that X>0 will open their wallet and pay the fee.

After all 1 room service order at $7.95 > 100 room service orders at $0.00. They don't even need to pay an MBA for that analysis.

When I booked my cruise Room Service was included in the fare. Now they have added a fee, yet my cruise fare hasn't dropped since I booked.

I am not being forced to pay it, but the fact is something that was included as an inducement to book is no longer included.

When you booked your cruise there was almost nothing on the room service menu. You still get the same free continental breakfast and now real food options for a single fee for as much as you want to order for the family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Edited by time2cruise1

When you booked your cruise there was almost nothing on the room service menu. You still get the same free continental breakfast and now real food options for a single fee for as much as you want to order for the family.

I have to admit the new room service menu really does offer more choices than the old one. If I ever have to self-quarantine myself again on another trip, I honestly won't mind paying $7.95 for a tea kettle and some of salads, sandwiches, burgers, entrees and/or cheese platter.... especially the steak and potatoes, that would cheer up anyone...

expanded menu for those that want. Ok. All for it. But now I can't order anything after 10 am or before 6am without a fee. Why not allow the formerly complimentary items to still be ordered and put either an a la carte fee for premium items, or lump it in under one fee for unlimited premium items, but still keep the previous complimentary ones.

I really think Carnivals handling and structure of their room service changes was significantly better handled and a very equitable solution. While recognizing it is possible for the cost to exceed NCL, it is also not necessary to incur a fee 85% of the time.