Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

But that's EXACTLY what they did to the people who boarded the Breakaway a couple of days ago. We are boarding the Breakaway in five days. At the time we purchased this trip, free room service was available from five am to midnight. It is no longer free and therefore NCL broke their obligation to provide the services I bought.

Also, NCL could easily have let us know about the change prior to boarding. We found out via Cruise Critic.

They are already changing the room service descriptions for ships other than the Breakaway and Getaway. NCL has moved from discussing this as an experiment to something in progress. It's pretty clear that a fee will now be imposed.

Too late for those of us sailing these weeks, not too soon for those who are lucky enough to make better informed choices for their futures.

But it's not like it's a large fee and its not per item its per order.

I just called my pcc (Awesome guy called Tyler) about the fee and was told this:

Whatever was on the complimentary room service menu before is still free. There is no $7.95 added to the original room service menu items whatsover.

The new "enhanced" menu items (which will exist side by side on the original room service menu) are the ones that do have the fee attached.

For instance, a cold breakfast of say croissants and cereal (or something similar from the original room service menu) were free....they still are. A hot breakfast of say a cheese omelette (or something similar from the enhanced items on the room service menu) now carries a fee.

I asked him how I would know what was on the original menu (free) and what is on the enhanced menu (not free). He said that the price/s will be posted on the menu. It will indicate what is free and what is not.

I asked what "up to" $7.95 (Breakaway) meant. He said that it likely depends on how much is ordered. e.g. a few slices of bacon might be cheaper than 4 pigs worth of bacon!But either way the fee will never be more than $7.95.

So not every room service delivery will be charged. It depends on what you order. If all of your items are from the original menu, they're still all free!

I was concerned because I am disabled and don't want the "joy" of standing in a buffet line. However, there are other sit-down restaurant/s open for breakfast also for those who don't want a buffet or room service.

Not trying to appease anyone OR fan any flames...just trying to give more information to those who are interested.

Hope this helps anyone!

Karen

Thank you for this.

Forgive me (and others) if we take this with a grain of salt at present. Trust in NCL info. is at an all time low in my household anyway.

The NCL reps are notorious for being badly briefed by Head Office on what is really happening (not their fault).

Head Office seems to be anatomically confused at the moment as well (they seem to be sitting on their elbows if you get my drift;)).

Thank you for this.

Forgive me (and others) if we take this with a grain of salt at present. Trust in NCL info. is at an all time low in my household anyway.

The NCL reps are notorious for being badly briefed by Head Office on what is really happening (not their fault).

Head Office seems to be anatomically confused at the moment as well (they seem to be sitting on their elbows if you get my drift;)).

What your pcc said goes against what NCL posted.

I just called my pcc (Awesome guy called Tyler) about the fee and was told this:

Whatever was on the complimentary room service menu before is still free. There is no $7.95 added to the original room service menu items whatsover.

The new "enhanced" menu items (which will exist side by side on the original room service menu) are the ones that do have the fee attached.

For instance, a cold breakfast of say croissants and cereal (or something similar from the original room service menu) were free....they still are. A hot breakfast of say a cheese omelette (or something similar from the enhanced items on the room service menu) now carries a fee.

I asked him how I would know what was on the original menu (free) and what is on the enhanced menu (not free). He said that the price/s will be posted on the menu. It will indicate what is free and what is not.

I asked what "up to" $7.95 (Breakaway) meant. He said that it likely depends on how much is ordered. e.g. a few slices of bacon might be cheaper than 4 pigs worth of bacon!But either way the fee will never be more than $7.95.

So not every room service delivery will be charged. It depends on what you order. If all of your items are from the original menu, they're still all free!

I was concerned because I am disabled and don't want the "joy" of standing in a buffet line. However, there are other sit-down restaurant/s open for breakfast also for those who don't want a buffet or room service.

Not trying to appease anyone OR fan any flames...just trying to give more information to those who are interested.

Hope this helps anyone!

Karen

I read this with interest and am hoping it is true.

So I gather NCL is adding too the room service menu and some or all of the added items will be for a nominal fee. The ones that were complimentary still are. This is good, I now have more choices.

All sorts of folks here freaking out over NCL attempting to make a better product, because they didn't get the whole story.

As a side note. When NCL started charging $5 for pizza, guess what? I see a whole lot less half eaten pizzas all over the passage way leading to or from the staterooms.

Irrelevant. One must tailor one's message to the audience at hand and when is addressing a group of strangers one uses more formal language and avoids vernacular terms. If you were a boss in a work place your defense would fall on deaf ears in front of a jury (and they would be able to hear your distinct southern drawl).

Are you serious? I have never lived in the south, but they use words differently. Of course, so do other regions AND countries. Tailor our messages to/for whom?

How about being tolerant of others' "ways"? When I see "hun"," honey" and the like, on a message board, I take no offence. I usually don't know where they were raised, where they've lived or where they're from presently.

to Motleyfan: hope you never become handicapped. some people cant just get out all the time but still want to enjoy the sea air i spend a lot of time in my room as I dont have the strength to go go go all day so room service was my savior. guess after 15 years of cruising I should just crawl in a hole and give up what I enjoy

Don't stop cruising, there are many other cruise lines to go on.

I am prepared to give NCL a second chance providing it treats its customers fairly and is transparent with them from hereon. I accept the fact that NCL is a for profit business and has the right to adjust it pricing and service level. Let's hope NCL learns from this public relation fiasco and turns it into something positive for everyone.

So I gather NCL is adding too the room service menu and some or all of the added items will be for a nominal fee. The ones that were complimentary still are. This is good, I now have more choices.

All sorts of folks here freaking out over NCL attempting to make a better product, because they didn't get the whole story.

As a side note. When NCL started charging $5 for pizza, guess what? I see a whole lot less half eaten pizzas all over the passage way leading to or from the staterooms.

If it is true then that is good. It would not have been hard for NCL to actually use the corporate braincell and make this clear before they started their 'test'.

Judging by several posts on this board they have already lost several $1000s of bookings and alienated a great many more potential $1000s of future bookings.

Are you serious? I have never lived in the south, but they use words differently. Of course, so do other regions AND countries. Tailor our messages to/for whom?

How about being tolerant of others' "ways"? When I see "hun"," honey" and the like, on a message board, I take no offence. I usually don't know where they were raised, where they've lived or where they're from presently.

I am from the south, and the way he was using honey and sweetie was 100% condescending. In fact most of the comments he made were condescending and just plain rude. Don't defend trolls...it just makes them feel justified in their mindless comments.

6&8

I just watched Andy's presentation and in no way shape or form did he say that. In fact he showed a slide that was side by side with the old menu and the new enhanced menu. From what I heard and saw, he said they were not charging per items just a small delivery fee (paraphrased) but thats basically what he said along with apologizing several times for lack of communication. The only thing mentioned about the free menu was that the remainder of the ships remained unchanged while they tested this out and waited on guest feedback.

Edited by Hendricks Clan

I am prepared to give NCL a second chance providing it treats its customers fairly and is transparent with them from hereon. I accept the fact that NCL is a for profit business and has the right to adjust it pricing and service level. Let's hope NCL learns from this public relation fiasco and turns it into something positive for everyone.

I agree with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope this helps anyone!

Karen

No offence to you I know you are just reporting what your PCC has told you but it is an interesting spin on the whole matter. Based on what he says if it is an old complimentary item they will still deliver it to your door for free. But if you agree to pay for an item it will cost you more because at that point they will tack on the $7.95 convenience fee and I am assuming the 18% auto gratuity.

Yes that will encourage many to order from the up charge items.

If what Tyler has told you is true it goes against what has been posted here by NCL themselves and also contradicts what has been printed ion the Breakaway's daily and also posted here.

I think we will have to wait a little longer to see exactly how it will run. I would love for Tyler's version to be accurate but I won't be placing any wagers on that.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

Hope this helps anyone!

Karen

I was told the same thing and then learned it was not correct. I was also told the new menus are different on each ship that I way the price differences between the two. I have no idea what is the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope this helps anyone!

Karen

Your PCL seems very nice but he does not appear to be telling you what NCL is putting out now in writing, nor what people who are actually on the breakaway right now are reporting, that the $7.95 is being charged on ALL orders (at least that is what is advertised in the dailies on the breakaway right now). In general the PCC's seem just as clueless as the regular phone reps, my PCC had no idea this was even happening when my wife asked him last night and told her he couldn't imagine it was true.

Judging by several posts on this board they have already lost several $1000s of bookings and alienated a great many more potential $1000s of future bookings.

Most cruisers have no idea of the changes in these fees. Less than 5% of passengers have any clue of CC. We here hear these things, not the general public.

NCL may have lost business over this so called "fopah". But most likely only from CC'r. They (NCL) probably will not notice any difference. I bet they will stay close to 100% occupancy for bookings into the future.

I certainly am not about to take my business elseware for the sake of maybe a couple hundred dollars for a weeks vacation.

I just watched Andy's presentation and in no way shape or form did he say that. In fact he showed a slide that was side by side with the old menu and the new enhanced menu. From what I heard and saw, he said they were not charging per items just a small delivery fee (paraphrased) but thats basically what he said along with apologizing several times for lack of communication. The only thing mentioned about the free menu was that the remainder of the ships remained unchanged while they tested this out and waited on guest feedback.

Agree with this 100%. Andy Stuart said flat out that ALL room service on the Breakaway and the Getaway would carry a "convenience charge" PER ORDER (meaning whatever comes to the room in one trip), effective yesterday.

Doesn't matter if you just order cold cereal and juice for one or 3 full hot meals - it would cost the same. $7.95 per order on Getaway, $4.95 per order on Breakaway.

I'm sure this caught many NCL reps by surprise, thus the many different versions callers are getting. But this came from the horse's mouth.

I agree I think more options definitely help improve the product.

Your PCL seems very nice but he does not appear to be telling you what NCL is putting out now in writing, nor what people who are actually on the breakaway right now are reporting, that the $7.95 is being charged on ALL orders (at least that is what is advertised in the dailies on the breakaway right now). In general the PCC's seem just as clueless as the regular phone reps, my PCC had no idea this was even happening when my wife asked him last night and told her he couldn't imagine it was true.

Policy-making on the hoof - don't you just love it! (And we in the UK now have 6 weeks of that crap coming up:mad:)

Pax don't know; on-board staff don't know; PCCs don't know; potential customers don't know; web-site is inconsistent/wrong.

Head Office - you need to wise up fast - you have a major communications clusterf**k here that is costing you bundles.

It is the people's fault for freaking out before getting the whole story, and it is NCL's fault that they didn't get the whole story in the first place.

I talked to my Cruise consultant and she echoed the same thing about new items being a charge and the original items being free. I told her what was going on here on cruise critic that people were getting their panties in a bunch over $7.95 per order and she actually laughed. she said in the end you've got to understand this is a business and though Norwegian cares about their customers and the bottom line is still to make money

Most cruisers have no idea of the changes in these fees. Less than 5% of passengers have any clue of CC. We here hear these things, not the general public.

NCL may have lost business over this so called "fopah". But most likely only from CC'r. They (NCL) probably will not notice any difference. I bet they will stay close to 100% occupancy for bookings into the future.

I certainly am not about to take my business elseware for the sake of maybe a couple hundred dollars for a weeks vacation.

At least one poster claims to have cancelled a $20K booking. Add on their on-board spends and that is a lot of $7.95s to be made up. A faux-pas is putting it rather more politely than I would;).