Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

This was, IMO, planned & not a rabbit jumping out of the hat magically - jamming the new Feestyle cruising experience with the ships packed with families & children on Spring breaks. Stuart held that live Q&A via Twitter 10 days ago & mentioned about more changes, so I am not completely surprised - still, waiting for his replies to earlier questions posted on T & FB as there's been no acknowledgement so far. NCL can use some damage control on their social media pages & here on CC, but ...

I really agree with this. For some reason, known and/or understood only by those hip deep in "marketing" or "sales" or whatever (??), this "test" needed to be sprung on 8000 passengers without any prior notice. I don't believe for a second that, Uh, somebody forgot to send an email last week or something. No, they MEANT to do this, probably because they believe that the "data" they get back from it will have more validity.

Pavlov's dogs were treated better than this.

Here's the simple solution to the Room Service dilemma, grab this to use as a tray and go bring back as much as you need and/or can fill up with - of course, that is until guests are banned from walking around the ship with them for safety reasons :D (It is a bit on the small side, but for those accustomed to a light continental or snacks ... it should get the "job" done, I always joked while cruising that Room Service is "me" as DW usually dispatch me to see what's "upstairs while she take a break/nap/shower/iPad moment, etc.)

What I'm troubled by is A.S. took the heat for the failure to communicate to the customer base, and, make no pledge or commitment to improve/change the mode of back-handed operations - and, he has been a seasoned NCL veterans - unlike the fellow who ran Olive Gardens. I've said this more than once already on other post, how difficult is it to communicate - do an official corporate email to ALL, not just a webinar exclusively for TA's yesterday, 4 days after the experiment was put into effect on 2 of its largest megaships, without prior notice to passengers, until they boarded it for sailing. This was, IMO, planned & not a rabbit jumping out of the hat magically - jamming the new Feestyle cruising experience with the ships packed with families & children on Spring breaks. Stuart held that live Q&A via Twitter 10 days ago & mentioned about more changes, so I am not completely surprised - still, waiting for his replies to earlier questions posted on T & FB as there's been no acknowledgement so far. NCL can use some damage control on their social media pages & here on CC, but ...

As Platinum members, we don't want to stop sailing NCL after 2015 (just one more on the radar due to FCR already purchased, which we might just unload & cancel) - we stopped booking United Airlines after more than a quarter century of flying because we refused to fly a narrow tin can for 3+ hours and get nickeled & dimed unless ...

I am not going to challenge others on matters of differences in opinions but surely going to put in my quarter's worth of voices. As a small footnote -
agreed to disagree and the dialogue continued, or else - click on the IGNORE List and move on.

Perfectly said. I might add...what this boils down to is FDR is going to go the Carnival way. He's going to water down the NCL product so much that in order to get what were accustomed to he's going to try and force us over to Oceania and Regent for a better cruise experience. The difference here is, NCLH has no line that is similar to Princess or HAL like Carnival has. Most people who cruise on NCL can not afford to cruise on Regent or Oceania. Its sad really but I think thats what he's trying to do and wouldn't be surprised to see more increases in fees and take aways.

As a person who has cruised both if you like the NCL experience you will not like Oceania, you will be board to death. This is about the bottom line. All these fees are pure profit since the overall product has not gotten better. They are charging more for the same thing.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

MOst you get from me will be the $150 they cost you,

It is bad enough NCL robbing people we don't need you trying it on as well:mad:

You're the one trying to tell people what they should be doing with their hard earned cash. I simply told you, as you tried to tell others, put your money where your mouth is. If you want me to cancel my cruise, this is what it will cost. You can pay the price or not tell others what they should be doing. BTW, the price is non-negotiable because that's what the value is to me to go through the hassle of selling them. Take it or leave It.

You're the one trying to tell people what they should be doing with their hard earned cash. I simply told you, as you tried to tell others, put your money where your mouth is. If you want me to cancel my cruise, this is what it will cost. You can pay the price or not tell others what they should be doing. BTW, the price is non-negotiable because that's what the value is to me to go through the hassle of selling them. Take it or leave It.

The only value over the $150 cost is the opportunity cost of a reduced deposit until you go on another cruise.

If you believe they are worth more than that, NCL have hook line and sucker into your next cruise.

The only value over the $150 cost is the opportunity cost of a reduced deposit until you go on another cruise.

If you believe they are worth more than that, NCL have hook line and sucker into your next cruise.

Their value is $250 since that is what applied to your reservation (either as the full deposit or toward the deposit depending on what category you are reserving).

What they are worth is between the buyer and seller. If I were looking at a 9 day cruise which has a deposit of $400 per person then I would consider paying $250 for an FCR as that would greatly reduce my out of pocket cost to reserve the cruise. If however I was looking to book a 7 day cruise this past weekend when they were offering a half price deposit sale than I wouldn't have paid more than $150.

What they are worth is between the buyer and seller. If I were looking at a 9 day cruise which has a deposit of $400 per person then I would consider paying $250 for an FCR as that would greatly reduce my out of pocket cost to reserve the cruise. If however I was looking to book a 7 day cruise this past weekend when they were offering a half price deposit sale than I wouldn't have paid more than $150.

Huh?

If you paid the $250 to a seller for the FCR and the balance of $150 to NCL for a total of $400, how is your out of pocket expense reduced?

Fuzzy math.

Huh?

If you paid the $250 to a seller for the FCR and the balance of $150 to NCL for a total of $400, how is your out of pocket expense reduced?

Fuzzy math.

The FCR represents the full deposit so my immediate out of pocket is $250. Yes, eventually the remainder would need to be paid but for the nonce I have reserved a cabin not for $900 but for $250.

The $100 materializes the day you pay final payment and are locked into your cruise

Until then they are worth $150.

believe anything else and you are an NCL puppet

except in the UK/EU where you loose your deposits, then they lock you in sooner.

The FCR represents the full deposit so my immediate out of pocket is $250. Yes, eventually the remainder would need to be paid but for the nonce I have reserved a cabin not for $900 but for $250.

FCR cost $150 no one should pay $250 for one.

The $100 materializes the day you pay final payment and are locked into your cruise

Until then they are worth $150.

believe anything else and you are an NCL puppet

except in the UK/EU where you loose your deposits, then they lock you in sooner.

What $100 are you talking about? The OBC is given when the certificate is purchased, not when it's redeemed and the certificate has a face value of $250.

FCR cost $150 no one should pay $250 for one.

Oh I would pay as little as I could but under the scenario I outlined it would be worth paying face value (of course I would only pay the face value to a family member or close friend). But we digress, let's continue to be ticked off about the room service charge;).

What $100 are you talking about? The OBC is given when the certificate is purchased, not when it's redeemed and the certificate has a face value of $250.

You paid $150 for a credit of $250 when locked into your future cruise

The OBC of $100 just took that off the $250 you got charged, net $150 at the time of purchase.

pre school arithmetic in the UK.

Am I the only one who feels this whole RS charge is not the end of the world? Yes it should have been phased in differently with more notice given, but it is what it is. Today NCL, tomorrow Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, etc.- it's only a matter of time before all the mainstream cruise lines adopt the practice. The airline luggage analogy is a perfect example of how all it takes is one player in the game to start a practice, and the rest follow.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to my first NCL cruise on the Epic to the Canary Islands next March. ;)

Tony

Am I the only one who feels this whole RS charge is not the end of the world? Yes it should have been phased in differently with more notice given, but it is what it is. Today NCL, tomorrow Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, etc.- it's only a matter of time before all the mainstream cruise lines adopt the practice. The airline luggage analogy is a perfect example of how all it takes is one player in the game to start a practice, and the rest follow.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to my first NCL cruise on the Epic to the Canary Islands next March. ;)

Tony

Jetblue and many others still give you 1 free bag per person + and are fairly priced - I doubt RCCL will take this low road.

Tony

It's not inevitable. Princess tried a room service charge on their new ship Regal Princess. It lasted 4 days. If there is no pushback and if there is an appreciable new revenue stream without pain, then maybe. But the first has already occurred, and the second is by no means certain.

Jetblue and many others still give you 1 free bag per person + and are fairly priced - I doubt RCCL will take this low road.

Jetblue is in the process of going to a tiered pricing system. No more free bag for the cheapest fares. That leaves only Southwest with free checked bags. And who knows how long that will last.

RCCL will take any road low or high if it results in additional revenue.

Tony

Here's the simple solution to the Room Service dilemma, grab this to use as a tray and go bring back as much as you need and/or can fill up with - of course, that is until guests are banned from walking around the ship with them for safety reasons :D (It is a bit on the small side, but for those accustomed to a light continental or snacks ... it should get the "job" done, I always joked while cruising that Room Service is "me" as DW usually dispatch me to see what's "upstairs while she take a break/nap/shower/iPad moment, etc.)

How much food is anyone going to be able to put on a tray full of coffee stuff?

IMG20150322_2141%20%281024x768%29.jpg

Tony

No, it is not the end of the world, but it does make it easier to see what the end of the world will look like.