Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I talked to my Cruise consultant and she echoed the same thing about new items being a charge and the original items being free. <snip>

The point is that apparently that is not what is happening in reality - they are charging the 'convenience fee' for ALL room service deliveries. $7.95 is not really the point (though it would be extortionate for a pot of coffee and a Danish), it is the principle of the lack of communication and blatant false advertising.

Edited by SteveH2508

At least one poster claims to have cancelled a $20K booking. Add on their on-board spends and that is a lot of $7.95s to be made up. A faux-pas is putting it rather more politely than I would;).

Got me the Faux-pas,LOL. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't find it in my head.

$20K booking cancelled over a few $100's? Hog wash I say!

They must must have one hellava set of principals.

I talked to my Cruise consultant and she echoed the same thing about new items being a charge and the original items being free. I told her what was going on here on cruise critic that people were getting their panties in a bunch over $7.95 per order and she actually laughed. she said in the end you've got to understand this is a business and though Norwegian cares about their customers and the bottom line is still to make money

What!?! :confused: Norwegian is a business? The bottom line is to make money?? Oh no! Say it isn't so!! :eek:

Seriously...Your PCC really said that to you?? Don't you find it a little bit insulting that she felt the need to explain that to you? Of course Norwegian is a business, what did she think that you thought they were??:rolleyes:

Got me the Faux-pas,LOL. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't find it in my head.

$20K booking cancelled over a few $100's? Hog wash I say!

They must must have one hellava set of principals.

You got your point across - no worries. As an educator I have to bite my internet tongue to avoid correcting spellings, grammar and malapropisms all the time. (Hint: check principles/principals;)) (I argue with the Principal of my College based on my principles as a union rep.)

Careful. May cost you $7.95/minute to chat with Kathy.

Yeah, but only because that Kathy is from New York. Kathy from Miami only charges $4.95.

In other cities Kathy costs $3.95 but only between midnight and 5am.

Are you serious? I have never lived in the south, but they use words differently. Of course, so do other regions AND countries. Tailor our messages to/for whom?

How about being tolerant of others' "ways"? When I see "hun"," honey" and the like, on a message board, I take no offence. I usually don't know where they were raised, where they've lived or where they're from presently.

You are spot on my friend. (is "friend" OK or too presumptuous? LOL)

I'd guess that some of those who take offense at "Honey" or "sweetie" (or olde favorite of mine: "sweetpea") commonly use the term "Dude" which is considered offensive by many midwesterners.

Or, how about the song that made SuperConservative Sonny & UltraLiberal Cher famous: "I've got you BABE" ? ... LOL

As my wise, sadly departed, Dad used to say: "No offense intended, No offense taken."

You got your point across - no worries. As an educator I have to bite my internet tongue to avoid correcting spellings, grammar and malapropisms all the time. (Hint: check principles/principals;)) (I argue with the Principal of my College based on my principles as a union rep.)

You know I wish I had that spell check. I went to check that Principal/principles on my dictionary. All I could find was my Finnish (Soumalainen) to Enlish one. I gave up and just went with it.:rolleyes:

Edited by NH Cruisers

What!?! :confused: Norwegian is a business? The bottom line is to make money?? Oh no! Say it isn't so!! :eek:

Seriously...Your PCC really said that to you?? Don't you find it a little bit insulting that she felt the need to explain that to you? Of course Norwegian is a business, what did she think that you thought they were??:rolleyes:

No because the whiners tend to forget that

The hazy pic posted on post #17 of this thread seems to show (thanks to Triptolemus for this analysis) a line of text that says something like "A $7.95 convenience charge will be applied to your order." The placement of that line of type is at the top of the menu, in the "24 Hour Room Service" banner -- seems to indicate the charge is for the order. The rest of the menu is too difficult to make out.

I'm pretty sure that mintsugarcube's PCC doesn't have the complete story.

In other news, NCLH stock price plummeted in after hours trading soon after market close -- right about the time that Stuart's webinar took place. I don't know enough to know the true significance of this, but suspect he may have said something that some investors didn't like.

No because the whiners tend to forget that

THINK about it...If it needed to be said (in your words) "because the whiners tend to forget that", then who is the whiner that your PCC said it to?

She only mentioned it to ONE person . . . :rolleyes:;)

The hazy pic posted on post #17 of this thread seems to show (thanks to Triptolemus for this analysis) a line of text that says something like "A $7.95 convenience charge will be applied to your order." The placement of that line of type is at the top of the menu, in the "24 Hour Room Service" banner -- seems to indicate the charge is for the order. The rest of the menu is too difficult to make out.

I'm pretty sure that mintsugarcube's PCC doesn't have the complete story.

In other news, NCLH stock price plummeted in after hours trading soon after market close -- right about the time that Stuart's webinar took place. I don't know enough to know the true significance of this, but suspect he may have said something that some investors didn't like.

Can you provide a link to the webinar. I can't find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I wish I had that spell check. I went to check that Principal/principles on my dictionary. All I could find was my Finnish (Soumalainen) to Enlish one. I gave up and just went with it.:rolleyes:

As my mother (a teacher) used to say -"It's a bad day when you do not learn something new".

I had to check complimentary/complementary during this thread - I think it is a different spelling/meaning UK to US - but I'm still not quite sure (that could easily be wine confusion though:rolleyes:).

THINK about it...If it needed to be said (in your words) "because the whiners tend to forget that", then who is the whiner that your PCC said it to?

She only mentioned it to ONE person . . . :rolleyes:;)

And then he came here to tell the world. Hilarious really. :D

I wish people would stop calling their PCCs about things like this and then accepting what they say as the truth. The PCCs are the very last in a long line of communication. They are not well-traned and they are typically the last to know about new things like the room service charges. I would expect that unless you are asking about simple things in their system that they can look up right in front of them ( like rates, cabin location, etc), that 75% of the time they have no idea what they are talking about.

On BA and GA right now, they are charging $7.95 (BA) and $4.95 (GA) for any room service order placed. Period. Old menu items are not free as before. I expect we'll see a new iteration of this next week where they may run old menu as free and new menu as fee but, honestly, that seems pretty complicated. I think they'll stick with a room service convenience fee but it won't wind up at $7.95- too high.