Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I have to work really hard for my 8 clear bucks... It's the principal of things, back tracking on what you originally purchased.

Don't waste your time & I am not wasting my time to respond to trolls, edit the IGNORE LIST on your User CP (upper left, within the CC frame) and let them talk to themselves. It's Spring break & the cyber defense army is out with the corporate social media shakeup, maybe getting 50 cents for each posts to clutter up the discussions.

-

Reminds me of the firestorm & heat taken by JetBlue in the past few years for their failure in storm operations and subsequent recovery, especially in and around their key N.E. USA hubs, including JFK - but, at least they made an effort to respond to some very negative & nasty criticism on social media, and gave the "appearance" of addressing customer complaints & concerns.

NCL and NCLH, you are NOT even trying or making it look so !!!

I, for one, do forgive but never forget - that is part of what living history is about.

Edited by mking8288

I talked to my Cruise consultant and she echoed the same thing about new items being a charge and the original items being free. I told her what was going on here on cruise critic that people were getting their panties in a bunch over $7.95 per order and she actually laughed. she said in the end you've got to understand this is a business and though Norwegian cares about their customers and the bottom line is still to make money

Name of your cruise consultant? People who think this is funny should be named and shamed.

I don't care what changes NCL make, when I can choose if or not to cruise with them.

In my current situation, I booked a cruise, no promos, top price for room, no price drops. In the UK a contract is a contract, and I was happy with what I had paid for, start messing about with what I paid for and I will be well pi*** off.

As an American you ought to be disgusted by NCL's actions, because from where I'm sat it makes USA look far less than honourable.

Name of your cruise consultant? People who think this is funny should be named and shamed.

I don't care what changes NCL make, when I can choose if or not to cruise with them.

In my current situation, I booked a cruise, no promos, top price for room, no price drops. In the UK a contract is a contract, and I was happy with what I had paid for, start messing about with what I paid for and I will be well pi*** off.

As an American you ought to be disgusted by NCL's actions, because from where I'm sat it makes USA look far less than honourable.

Trevor I am also from the UK, at the time of booking I was happy with the price because I wanted a studio cabin on Epic , I am no longer Happy :(:( since booking the studio cabin priced dropped by £200 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the daily service charge went up !! as did the bar service charge!! and now I wonder if the room service will be charged for too ??????????

NCL needs to pull out all the stops on My May cruise (birthday cruise) it needs to be the best cruise experience to date if I am to sail with them again .

That's because NCL tossed in scrambled eggs, bacon and pancakes in the new menu and fee. And well, the mere mention of those food tends to calm people down...:o

Where did you read pancakes will be on the new menu? I must have missed it. From the best I can tell, the menu doesn't mention pancakes. Then again, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. Adding pancakes to what I can see on the new menu would be great.

Look You don't know me from Adam or how I meant the comments that I said, I did not mean them to be condescending or rude but if it came off that way for the 10th freaking time I'm sorry. I just think its crazy people making a big deal out of eight bucks. my cruise consultant agreed with what I'm about to say, if you cannot afford $8 cruising is not for you find another hobby. I'm just shocked this thread has gone on as long as it has. maybe Norwegian will reverse this maybe they won't and if they don't there's nothing you can do about it.

Sure there is, we can vote with our wallet and take our cruises elsewhere. I know that is something you don't understand but there are many that aren't married to NCL. Once again, it's not about affordabilty, it's about charging for something that used to free with no value added. (FWIW, which isn't much, I also make a good living but I also like to get value for my dollar.)

(As far as for what you've posted your apology might have sounded a bit more sincere if you hadn't also said that you are giving back what you received on the banning smoking thread, which tends to color your apology.)

As I've said this isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me because for me the amount that I pay to get onboard is much more important and for our next full cruise NCL didn't come close to even getting me onboard (and that decision was made just before this maelstrom broke out so this had no impact on my decision).

Edited by sparks1093

You are spot on my friend. (is "friend" OK or too presumptuous? LOL)

I'd guess that some of those who take offense at "Honey" or "sweetie" (or olde favorite of mine: "sweetpea") commonly use the term "Dude" which is considered offensive by many midwesterners.

Or, how about the song that made SuperConservative Sonny & UltraLiberal Cher famous: "I've got you BABE" ? ... LOL

As my wise, sadly departed, Dad used to say: "No offense intended, No offense taken."

I can't believe you don't understand the difference between lovers calling each other "Babe," and an internet troll deliberately insulting women on here by inappropriately using terms of endearment.

Here you go ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=344994&d=1427842638

I would need access to the original photo to make it any bigger.

Hm, my guess is this is not an actual menu, but the "side-by-side" comparison that Andy Stuart was reported to have shown during yesterday afternoon's webinar.

I note that the items on the left are included on the right (under the $7.95/$4.95). So this isn't two different and available menus, one free and one for charge. It's the OLD menu on the left and NEW menu on the right.

If this is all understood, then never mind :) but it appears there is still a lot of confusion about what NCL is up to. It will be helpful when we can all agree on (at least) "the facts." Between the "photocopied" ACTUAL menu we've seen from the BA and this comparison between old and new menu, I think we're close to that point.

Hm, my guess is this is not an actual menu, but the "side-by-side" comparison that Andy Stuart was reported to have shown during yesterday afternoon's webinar.

I note that the items on the left are included on the right (under the $7.95/$4.95). So this isn't two different and available menus, one free and one for charge. It's the OLD menu on the left and NEW menu on the right.

If this is all understood, then never mind :) but it appears there is still a lot of confusion about what NCL is up to. It will be helpful when we can all agree on (at least) "the facts." Between the "photocopied" ACTUAL menu we've seen from the BA and this comparison between old and new menu, I think we're close to that point.

I believe you are right. This looks to be made as a comparison between the two for presentation purposes.

Yes you can visit two restaurants in one night.

As to your second question there has been a lot of opposing information posted about this as recently as today.

Yes;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026029

or

No:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2189558

Guess it comes down to who you ask. Good luck with it.

Rochelle

Rochelle, the first link you posted is from 2014. Up to a few days ago it's pretty clear that UDP'ers could go to Illusionarium/Cirque Dreams for free on first night. As the other thread pretty clearly shows (with quotes from NCL, etc.), after July 3 (which is just over 90 days out -- significant) that will no longer be the case. UDP'ers will get 25% off the entertainment dining options, but no more freebies on first night.

By the way, that second link is pretty horrific and worth checking out.

The new "enhanced" menu doesn't make sense to me. The items on the left are also listed on the right. Why not just list the eggs, sides, meats, and warm cereals (no pancakes) on the right, and show that you will be charged if you order them?

The new "enhanced" menu doesn't make sense to me. The items on the left are also listed on the right. Why not just list the eggs, sides, meats, and warm cereals (no pancakes) on the right, and show that you will be charged if you order them?

I believe that was a comparison made

strictly for the presentation purposes for the webinar. The left showing the old menu, the right showing the new "enhanced" menu. It appears coffee and yogurt would now incur a fee.

Edited by AEckhardt

strictly for the presentation purposes for the webinar. The left showing the old menu, the right showing the new "enhanced" menu. It appears coffee and yogurt would now incur a fee.

It even says "previous menu" at the top of the left side. Why is this hard for people? It's clearly comparing the old with the new. Jeesh.

Thank you. I guess I was looking at it as one menu.

LrgPizza - Snarkiness not necessary. Jeesh.

If you want to pay me $250 each for the two FCCs I have to use, I'd be happy to cancel. Just cough up the cash. :D

MOst you get from me will be the $150 they cost you,

It is bad enough NCL robbing people we don't need you trying it on as well:mad:

I never ordered RS until the last couple of cruises, on which we had very early excursions. We then employed the continental breakfast (coffee, pastries, cereal, etc.) more or less as a wake-up call.

I cannot imagine paying anything for that, aside from a tip. If they wanted to charge, say, a buck or 2 to our account rather than having to have cash, I wouldn't mind. THAT'S a convenience fee (gratuity), IMO. $5-$8 for coffee and (cold) Danish? Not so much.

Now, if there were 2 separate menus - free limited RS (like the current menu) and fee-based enhanced (the new menu?), I don't think I'd mind the charge, as long as it was well publicized. I mean, then it's more like eating at a specialty restaurant vs. the MDR, no?

BUT, that all said, it definitely shouldn't have been sprung as a surprise on people. How many folks have family members (teens, most likely), who are basically persuaded to join the family on a cruise because they look forward to spending their time watching TV and ordering unlimited room service? Probably quite a lot. Personally, if I were in the position, I'd be p*ssed.

Edited by srlafleur

I just read this article about it:

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/norwegian-testing-room-service-delivery-fee.html?u=10F35FED-66C8-E411-8B9F-0050568E420D

Norwegian Cruise Line is testing reaction to a service fee for room service delivery.

The “convenience charge” is being charged on two ships as the line enhances its room service menu, Norwegian President and COO Andy Stuart said in a travel agent webinar March 31.

The service fee is $7.95 per order — not per selection or per person — on the Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on Norwegian Getaway. There is no charge for delivery to the luxury Haven suite complex and no charge on the rest of the fleet at this time.

The pilot program includes an upgraded menu, especially for breakfast, adding hot items to a menu that currently features mostly cold options such as cereal and pastries. The enhanced menu includes eggs prepared scrambled, over easy, hard-boiled and poached, and sides such as breakfast potatoes, grilled tomatoes, bacon, sausage and turkey sausage. Also offered are oatmeal and Cream of Wheat.

A wider variety of options are offered on the 24-hour menu as well, Stuart said.

While many passengers resist cover charges as an example of nickel-and-diming, room service delivery fees are not unprecedented. Norwegian has charged a $3.95 charge for deliveries made between midnight and 5 a.m. for several years now (Royal Caribbean International does as well). Norwegian also charges $5 for a pizza delivery anywhere on the ship. Carnival Cruise Line has a line on the room service delivery receipt for a gratuity.

But word leaked out online about a room service fee before Stuart’s announcement that it was a test. It predictably generated hundreds of comments on Cruise Critic’s bulletin boards.

“Even coffee and pastry are $7.95??? NCL has one of the most limited room service menus,” reads one comment. “Sounds to me as if they are trying to do away with it completely. That is an outlandish charge, even if the new menu has complete meals. I hope it is not fleet-wide but just an experiment on the Breakaway.”

“This is very disappointing!” another comment says. “I was so looking forward to a light breakfast on our balcony while in Alaska. I guess I will pack a tray, head up to the buffet and schlep everything back to my cabin.”

Norwegian also posted a notice about the room service fee in its Frequently Asked Questions section on its website. It remains to be seen whether a delivery fee will become permanent and how much it would be.

Just the thought of having pancakes lox bagels eggs etc etc delivered to my cabin and eating it early like before an excursion is making me ill

The buffet for quick croissant and a slice or 2 if bacon before an excursion works fine for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just the thought of having pancakes lox bagels eggs etc etc delivered to my cabin and eating it early like before an excursion is making me ill

The buffet for quick croissant and a slice or 2 if bacon before an excursion works fine for me

Each to their own .

We always ordered 2 pots of coffee, a fruit plate and a sweet roll. Not worth the convenience fee.

While I find it disappointing and depending on how I feel about it after my May 17th Breakaway cruise.......I refuse to be outraged or angry about it. It is a sign of the times not just in the cruise industry but in all lines of business. I am sure somewhere in your agreement it mentioned that somehow someway NCL could change its agreement with out notice. It's in all agreements. It is legal speak for when we screw you can't complain because we told you we were going to. So I will go to breakfast, in a restaurant not the buffet. I will make their wait staff earn my pre determined by NCL tip. I will tip extra for the good service....tip my steward and wait staff directly NOT through NCL. I will not give their corporate structure an extra dime. It is not however the staff on boards fault this is happening and as customers I hope we do not take it out on them.

Edited by timviie
spelling

What are you - a trouble maker ? How dare you not start the cruise day with 2000 calories

ooops, I was going to reply to a post but decided it detracted from the topic and deleted it ....
What are you - a trouble maker ? You are choosing not to detract from the topic

and then , even worse , you deleted it .

For Shame on You !