Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

The only value over the $150 cost is the opportunity cost of a reduced deposit until you go on another cruise.

If you believe they are worth more than that, NCL have hook line and sucker into your next cruise.

Their value is $250 since that is what applied to your reservation (either as the full deposit or toward the deposit depending on what category you are reserving).

What they are worth is between the buyer and seller. If I were looking at a 9 day cruise which has a deposit of $400 per person then I would consider paying $250 for an FCR as that would greatly reduce my out of pocket cost to reserve the cruise. If however I was looking to book a 7 day cruise this past weekend when they were offering a half price deposit sale than I wouldn't have paid more than $150.

No wonder there is so much bickering. We can't even agree on what a piece of paper is worth.

I've got a rare quarter that sells on the open market for 50¢. So how much is the quarter worth?

I've got one quarter and all you have are one dollar bills. You are hopping up and down with your legs crossed. The only available restroom requires a quarter. Now how much is that quarter worth?

Jetblue and many others still give you 1 free bag per person + and are fairly priced - I doubt RCCL will take this low road.

Jetblue can usually be found at 30,000+ feet. Even in the Himalayas that would be considered a high road.

If one were staying in a hotel, a full hot breakfast for your entire family for the low price of $7.95 would be an awesome deal. Unfortunately, the people on the test ships booked a voyage that already included free room service between five am and midnight. They are deprived of something for which they have already paid. This is a less awesome deal.

If I were staying in a hotel, that when I booked, offered a complimentary continental breakfast and then suddenly had a charge for it when I arrived , yes I think I would have every right to be upset. Especially when the charge is not for the food itself but for the convenience of them providing it.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

Am I the only one who feels this whole RS charge is not the end of the world? Yes it should have been phased in differently with more notice given, but it is what it is. Today NCL, tomorrow Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, etc.- it's only a matter of time before all the mainstream cruise lines adopt the practice. The airline luggage analogy is a perfect example of how all it takes is one player in the game to start a practice, and the rest follow.

That being said, I'm still looking forward to my first NCL cruise on the Epic to the Canary Islands next March. ;)

Tony

(Be forwarned: I am about to use Cap Letters for emphasis, not because I'm screaming, but because CC has been unable to fix to a glitch in my letter size, bold, & color controls)

-------------------------------------------------

Tony

You may not be the only one who is not bothered by the New Room Service Surcharge but I believe you are in the minority. There is no justification for it except increased profit margin. (It's not dictated by rising costs of food production or tied to the cost of delivery)

Your failure to feel angst and ire is understandable, since you have recently booked your first NCL cruise which is still a year away.

The reason why so many NCL loyal customers are upset (I've had 22 NCL cruises, enjoy Platinum Status, and about to hit the 2nd milestone 500 point level) is because this episode strikes a stake into the heart of what has been an NCL hallmark: TWO WAY STREET LOYALTY

NCL was held in high esteem by its many loyalists because we were treated as: FAMILY, NOT CUSTOMERS.

There has been a growing cascade of corporate decisions in the last several years that have watered down that brand loyalty. But, the most destructive, devastating and damning one of all was being THE FIRST TO IMPOSE, WITHOUT NOTICE, an $8 delivery charge on any room service order regardless of size (same price: coffee for one or full breakfast for four)

I believe, what upsets the majority posters is we EXPECTED BETTER from NCL.

I'm angry even though I am not affected, YET, since I book only suites. But, I join with the majority of my fellow NCL loyalists, who are affected, because I understand it's not the money, it's the destruction of the NCL BRAND LOYALTY by converting family members into customers.

John

Edited by Uniall

Just wanted to let y'all know that we've written a News story on this:

Norwegian Cruise Line Adds Room Service Charge

Nice to see the story. I see it includes the line: "Room service orders by Haven and suite passengers will not be charged the convenience fee." I'm not convinced that is nailed down for non-haven suites. I can't reconcile the two mutually-exclusive statements still listed as of today in the NCL FAQ pages

1) Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 will be added to each order placed (Room Service orders placed by guests sailing in Suites and The Haven will not attract a charge)*. (Where the * refers to a note that says prices are subject to change)

http://www.ncl.com/faq#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service

2) The following items are not included in the cruise fare:

• Convenience Charge for Room Service on non-Haven Suites

(other listed items removed for brevity)

http://www.ncl.com/faq/cruise-fare-includes

Edited by old sole

Yes you can visit two restaurants in one night.

As to your second question there has been a lot of opposing information posted about this as recently as today.

Yes;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026029

or

No:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2189558

Guess it comes down to who you ask. Good luck with it.

Rochelle

Yeah I had visit two in one night

My biggest biggest biggest gripe is that since I booked 8 weeks ago NCL has had a number of increases and new charges.

I have 2 NCL cruises booked, one of those in late 2016. Between now and then how many increases and new fees will be introduced? How many things included in the fare will be changed?

Yes I realize business increase charges and look for more revenue, and contractually they are allowed to, but at some point I start to feel like the product is way different than what was "sold" to me. Now whether a cruise coats someone $500 or $20,000 is not relevant, everyone expects value for money and to be dealt with fairly and is working with a budget.

Now I have gotten a bunch of friends and family to book along with us and I feel kind of bad about all these changed coming from NCL rapidfire. Both my PCC and NCL Social media emailed me to say the Guppies program on NCL Escape is included in the fare, no extra charges. But how much faith can I have in that being the case when I have witnessed NCL be so willing to increase charges and unwilling to respond to customer concerns in a fair and level way? It is a trust issue and I have difficulty trusting the vacation I have paid for and budgeted for will be what I expect when I board the ship.

What next? Waterslide fees? Baggage fees? Towel borrow fee? I know NCL is not all inclusive but cruising has always been a MOSTLY inclusive vacation and it is going too much towards a la carte. Certain optional extras can be done without, but eventually the company not only cheapens the experience drastically but also establishes a high bar for services based on these increased and new fees. Hey, if they make good on it, it may be the best cruise I have taken in 25 years. But if the value is poor it could be the worst. At this point in time NCL has created a trust issue at least for me and my money. On paper it's still a good value and I have plenty of time to cancel for 2016 if 2015 cruise misses the mark. I hope NCL can meet or exceed the high expectations they are setting. I will spend more for good value. Charging for RS is not good value to me.

Now, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (and it's a very looooooooooong thread) but Quantum of the Seas was initially charging for room service items ... $3.95 for hot breakfast items and $4.95 for lunch items.

So NCL is not an innovator in this regard! I'm not sure, however, whether RCI dropped the charges. Comments/confirmation?

These are obviously the first steps in what will be an industry wide practice depending on passenger reactions. I really think that all the cruise lines will be looking at each other to see how it pans out.

Now, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (and it's a very looooooooooong thread) but Quantum of the Seas was initially charging for room service items ... $3.95 for hot breakfast items and $4.95 for lunch items.

They charge for "premium specialty" items. Now, a RS Hamburger or Hot breakfast is not what I consider premium or specialty in any way. That's a rip off too. And they charge PER ITEM, not a flat fee. There's almost nothing on the Quantum menu that didn't used to exist free on Royal Caribbean years ago. So it's a load of BS there too.

However, they do NOT charge for continental breakfast items, or for things like wraps or salads. So you can still have free RS if you want. If, like us, you like to get coffee, fruit, and yogurt to wake up with, no charge.

And they don't insult their customers intelligence by saying "The food is free, we only charge for the convenience of delivering it".

Looks like posts on Ncl's fb page complaining about the rs fee, are disappearing right and left. Ncl must be deleting them.

I guess since the ships aren't registered in the USA they don't worry about 'freedom of speech'.

Harriet

No wonder there is so much bickering. We can't even agree on what a piece of paper is worth.

I've got a rare quarter that sells on the open market for 50¢. So how much is the quarter worth?

I've got one quarter and all you have are one dollar bills. You are hopping up and down with your legs crossed. The only available restroom requires a quarter. Now how much is that quarter worth?

Chiming in...

First, I don't know why the price someone paid to obtain the item is so strongly tied to its price.

The certificate has the same value as $250 cash money. The certificate also allows the holder to book with only a $250 deposit (which ADDS value). The buyer is in a position to obtain a certificate without having to be on a cruise first. (which also ADDS value). $250 is a fair price.

Second, you wouldn't go into a store at home or a store on the ship and insist on paying them exactly what they paid to obtain the item. Likewise, there is no valid reason to do the same here.

So if you feel that you HAVE to pay $150, then consider it to be $150 for the certificate with a 66.67% automatic gratuity added for your convenience. ;)

Let me add in one additional thought/example...

I have a Welcome Back Reward (works just like a CRW for those who are unfamiliar). The cost was $250 (just like the CRW), however...the Welcome Back Reward doesn't have the $100 OBC offer since you don't buy them on the ship...the offer is different. With a Welcome Back Reward you get $75 OBC, but you don't get it until the cruise that you use the Reward to book. So...$250 certificate plus upcoming $75 OBC equals $325 net cost.

If you think $150 is a fair price for a CRW, then you'd be willing to pay $325 for the Welcome Back Reward, right?

Edited by SeaShark

If I were staying in a hotel, that when I booked, offered a complimentary continental breakfast and then suddenly had a charge for it when I arrived , yes I think I would have every right to be upset. Especially when the charge is not for the food itself but for the convenience of them providing it.

Rochelle

Rochelle, I agree with you, that's why the second part of my post was about how the Bway and Gway passengers have already paid for free room service at the time of booking. I was trying to preempt those who will argue about what a bargain it really is. I'm sorry that my point got lost.

I guess since the ships aren't registered in the USA they don't worry about 'freedom of speech'.

Harriet

Come on Harriet...Freedom of Speech only means that the Government can infringe on your right to speak. NCL has 100% control over anything and everything said on THEIR page.

Why do you think Andy's solution was for people to post their problems on his FB page? It just makes it easy to control and delete the dissent.

Since I only use room service at night to order two containers of milk, I plan on getting extra milk from the breakfast buffet and storing it for later. Does anyone know if the cabin fridges will keep the milk cool enough?

I have some medication that needs to be taken with milk so I always keep a few cartons in the room fridge....YES they do a good job of keeping the milk cold.

Since I only use room service at night to order two containers of milk, I plan on getting extra milk from the breakfast buffet and storing it for later. Does anyone know if the cabin fridges will keep the milk cool enough?

They're not as cold as refrigerators, but if you're just storing it overnight its *probably* ok. I would just smell it/taste it in the morning before you put it in your cereal. You could also just have your room steward put ice in the ice bucket and store it there.