I'm Pretty Sure I'm Being Punked

Like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez. You guys are a tough crowd. I guess a person can't be optimistic and think that some extra lines on boarding day, so they can clean well after a Noro outbreak, and a piece of delayed luggage, are not that bad. And (gasp!) thinking that Guest Services was actually helpful by providing some toiletries, a t-shirt and a complimentary laundry voucher is completely beyond the pale. :eek:

I have duly noted my responsibility to look on the dark side of things.

I think the biggest issue that some people including myself had with your post, is that the OP was mearly venting some frustrations and maybe looking for a little sympathy. I felt like the OP was going to get over it, especially if she ever gets her suitcase. Your post was simply stating the already obvious and I'm sure the OP has already learned from her day. It felt like you were kicking someone that was already down.

Just my 2 cents.

dp

Edited by dpostman

Separately, this annoyances or lack of service are minor. Compiled together in one person's experience exponentially makes the sum more than the parts.

After all that, not having clothes to change into is at the very least frustrating and may not allow one to relax/get into vacation mode.

Sure some comps were given, but in the end, the culmination of the minor ordeals is resulting in a bad start to a vacation. If she gets her luggage, I am sure the tune will change, but until then, I can understand the lack of rose colored glasses.

Separately, this annoyances or lack of service are minor. Compiled together in one person's experience exponentially makes the sum more than the parts.

After all that, not having clothes to change into is at the very least frustrating and may not allow one to relax/get into vacation mode.

Sure some comps were given, but in the end, the culmination of the minor ordeals is resulting in a bad start to a vacation. If she gets her luggage, I am sure the tune will change, but until then, I can understand the lack of rose colored glasses.

Agreed. I wasn't really suggesting rose-colored glasses. I think the part, from the OP, that seemed a little harsh was things like saying it was "hilarious" that they offered complimentary laundry service. Seems like a reasonable and helpful thing to do, while they try to locate the missing bag. And, really, the missing luggage was the only real problem. The delays in boarding/cabin readiness are just things that happen from time to time. I've been through even worse delays on a couple different cruises.

I wasn't trying to "kick someone while they're down," but rather suggesting to look at the positive side of things that were being done to help.

Geez. You guys are a tough crowd. I guess a person can't be optimistic and think that some extra lines on boarding day, so they can clean well after a Noro outbreak, and a piece of delayed luggage, are not that bad. And (gasp!) thinking that Guest Services was actually helpful by providing some toiletries, a t-shirt and a complimentary laundry voucher is completely beyond the pale. :eek:

Uh, ok, sure[emoji780]

Wait, just completed my set sail pass for our Quantum cruise on April 12. There's this nifty little part where we are supposed to put an RFID sticker and will enable us to track our luggage. What happened to this poor OP? Does this tracking technology really exist or not? How can RCI not find this luggage? I really feel sympathy for the OP as we almost went without luggage when we were on the Allure in February. It's a BIG issue to me and not what I would describe as an annoyance.

Wait, just completed my set sail pass for our Quantum cruise on April 12. There's this nifty little part where we are supposed to put an RFID sticker and will enable us to track our luggage. What happened to this poor OP? Does this tracking technology really exist or not? How can RCI not find this luggage? I really feel sympathy for the OP as we almost went without luggage when we were on the Allure in February. It's a BIG issue to me and not what I would describe as an annoyance.

I'd stand in the area by guest services in my undershorts and nothing else with my fat gut hanging out and not leave until they found my luggage or bought me a new wardrobe

Uh, ok, sure[emoji780]

So, what would you suggest have been a better response from Guest Services regarding:

Medicine - "check with medical" seems like the best advice. Perhaps they could have called medical for the OP, but unless it's an emergency, it's probably best to deal with it in the morning, rather than late at night.

Toiletries - Not sure what they did wrong at all here - gave a bag of toiletries right away.

Clothing - The t-shirt is a nice gesture. Guest Services is not a clothing warehouse, so I doubt they have much else to offer. If baggage is missing longer, they'll usually give some allowance for buying clothes at the on-board shops.

Urgency - Okay, maybe the part about "they'll start looking tomorrow" is concerning, except for the fact that they've probably already checked the places where undelivered luggage would be. So, do they have the room stewards start checking all staterooms on the ship, perhaps waking up others who, like the OP, might have been working on 3 hrs sleep and just wanted bed?

I'm really not trying to kick the OP while she's down, but I struggle to see what more within reason the Guest Services desk could have done to help. But, hey, I should just quit, while I'm behind. Sorry it's been a rough start for the OP.

That's pretty cool. I didn't know they were doing that. But, usually RFID is a short-range system. The reader has to be close to the bag to ID it. It's not really a tracking device (other than perhaps tracking the last point where the RFID was scanned).

My favorite stateroom attendant, on the Freedom for four years, was transferred to the Quantum. He is miserable - hates the ship...and he was an award-winning attendant on the Freedom. Crew members have NO choice where they are sent to work. Some crew members left the Quantum but had to go to the Anthem...no going back to Freedom or wherever they worked previously. He said he never smiles anymore and is just "counting the days" until August when he can go home again. He was NEVER like that on the Freedom. I spoke with another worker on the Freedom early this month and told her what he said. She said that most of the crew hates the Quantum. I don't know if they are expected to DO more or work faster, or if it's just the difference in ships from the Freedom class to these new ships-- but hearing your story, it sounds like you've run into some of those miserable crew members! I feel so bad for my friend (I met him four years ago when I was on the Freedom, first trip solo). I hate that he is so miserable. I hope your cruise gets better and that you enjoy your vacation!

My favorite stateroom attendant, on the Freedom for four years, was transferred to the Quantum. He is miserable - hates the ship...and he was an award-winning attendant on the Freedom. Crew members have NO choice where they are sent to work. Some crew members left the Quantum but had to go to the Anthem...no going back to Freedom or wherever they worked previously. He said he never smiles anymore and is just "counting the days" until August when he can go home again. He was NEVER like that on the Freedom. I spoke with another worker on the Freedom early this month and told her what he said. She said that most of the crew hates the Quantum. I don't know if they are expected to DO more or work faster, or if it's just the difference in ships from the Freedom class to these new ships-- but hearing your story, it sounds like you've run into some of those miserable crew members! I feel so bad for my friend (I met him four years ago when I was on the Freedom, first trip solo). I hate that he is so miserable. I hope your cruise gets better and that you enjoy your vacation!

Okay, I promised to quit while I was behind, but...what "miserable crew members" were mentioned in the OP's account?

Okay, I promised to quit while I was behind, but...what "miserable crew members" were mentioned in the OP's account?

INNER: After a few minutes we made our way down to Silk for our 6:30 dinner reservation. The bright spot there...our waitress, Acella, was wonderful. She was the first crew member with a real smile on her face. Most of the others just looked miserable. The food at Silk, did nothing for me or my family, though to be fair, my four-year old liked the meatball that came with his spaghetti. Didn't like the pasta or cheese, but liked the meatball.

The airlines lost my luggage two years ago and I sailed the Mediterranean for a week with the clothes I traveled in and a Celebrity t shirt. The cruise line was so helpful and even gave me a complete change of under clothes. I am sure they wanted me to go change as I had been in those same clothes for 4 days by the time I got on the ship. I did learn a lot about cross packing that trip and realized I am more vain than I would like to think. I didn't let it ruin my vacation but certainly made it a challenge. Hope the OP gets her luggage soon.

I can certainly see the irony in the "complimentary laundry". What is she supposed to wear while they launder the only clothes she has?

We almost had a situation like that many years ago on Legend, for a trans-Canal cruise embarking in Acapulco. But there was one last "sweep" of the airport, and our luggage made it onboard just before we sailed.

The airlines lost my luggage two years ago and I sailed the Mediterranean for a week with the clothes I traveled in and a Celebrity t shirt. The cruise line was so helpful and even gave me a complete change of under clothes. I am sure they wanted me to go change as I had been in those same clothes for 4 days by the time I got on the ship. I did learn a lot about cross packing that trip and realized I am more vain than I would like to think. I didn't let it ruin my vacation but certainly made it a challenge. Hope the OP gets her luggage soon.

That would be a pain. Was there a reason why you didn't buy any extra clothes in port? Most Mediterranean ports would provide great shopping opportunities. What would be incredibly inconvenient would be losing my luggage on a Transatlantic cruise.

I know my insurance gives me up to $800 ($1,600 for the family) for emergency replacement of toiletries and clothing. Also RCI will compensate " If you can prove that the damage, delay or loss was our fault or the fault of the supplier of a service that we agreed to arrange as part of your holiday, we will compensate you for the loss or damage if you can prove you have suffered as a result up to a maximum of AU$1,100 per guest per cruise." (from the Australian site T&C http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/contentPage.do?pagename=terms_and_conditions_australia_page_2)

Edited by Sarvowinner

INNER: After a few minutes we made our way down to Silk for our 6:30 dinner reservation. The bright spot there...our waitress, Acella, was wonderful. She was the first crew member with a real smile on her face. Most of the others just looked miserable. The food at Silk, did nothing for me or my family, though to be fair, my four-year old liked the meatball that came with his spaghetti. Didn't like the pasta or cheese, but liked the meatball.

Ah, that's right. I forgot the generalized comment about "most of the others."

Wow! How frustrating! I too wouldn't have thought much about putting stuff in a checked bag if it was going straight from my car to the ship with no flight involved. I really can't fault the OP for that.

I hope the missing purple luggage showed up today. I love my purple luggage - I always think that will make it harder to lose. :eek:

That would be a pain. Was there a reason why you didn't buy any extra clothes in port? Most Mediterranean ports would provide great shopping opportunities. What would be incredibly inconvenient would be losing my luggage on a Transatlantic cruise.

I know my insurance gives me up to $800 ($1,600 for the family) for emergency replacement of toiletries and clothing. Also RCI will compensate " If you can prove that the damage, delay or loss was our fault or the fault of the supplier of a service that we agreed to arrange as part of your holiday, we will compensate you for the loss or damage if you can prove you have suffered as a result up to a maximum of AU$1,100 per guest per cruise." (from the Australian site T&C http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/contentPage.do?pagename=terms_and_conditions_australia_page_2)

The US T&C's limit it at $300 if you do not have additional insurance.

b. Liability for Loss of or Damage to Baggage. Unless negligent, Carrier is neither responsible nor liable for any loss of or damage to Passenger's

property, whether contained in luggage or otherwise. Liability for loss of or damage to Passenger's property in connection with any air or ground

transportation shall be the sole responsibility of the provider of the service and in accordance with applicable limitations.

c. Limitation of Liability for Lost or Damaged Property. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this Agreement, Carrier's liability for loss or damage

to property during the RCT Land Tour portion of a CruiseTour is limited to $300.00 per Passenger. Notwithstanding any other provision of law or this

Agreement, Carrier's liability for loss or damage to property for the cruise (or for the cruise only portion of a CruiseTour) is limited to $300.00 per

Passenger, unless Passenger declares the true value of such property in writing and pays Carrier within 10 days of final payment for the cruise, a fee of

five percent (5%) of the amount that such value exceeds $300.00. In such event, Carrier's liability shall be limited to its true declared value, but not

exceeding $5,000.